Start by marking “Meme Wars: The Creative Destruction of Neoclassical Economics” as Want to Read:
Meme Wars: The Creative Destruction of Neoclassical Economics

Meme Wars: The Creative Destruction of Neoclassical Economics

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  10 reviews
From the editor and magazine that started and named the Occupy Wall Street movement,Meme Wars: The Creative Destruction of Neoclassical Economicsis an articulation of what could be the next steps in rethinking and remaking our world that challenges and debunks many of the assumptions of neoclassical economics and brings to light a more ecological model.Meme Warsaims to acc ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Seven Stories Press (first published June 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Meme Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meme Wars

Timothy Chklovski
A book-sized pamphlet encouraging readers to challenge their professors and generally disrupt consumerism. Picked it up for the title, and looked through it because I subscribe to the idea of seeking disconfirming evidence.

Although I'm clearly not the target audience, I found its presentation style interesting (if "noisy", which I think it somewhat hypocritically critiques capitalist systems for).

As one might expect, the book overlooks the benefits that rule of law and economic prosperity bring;
Vlad
Splendid call for ACTION!
Aayisha
Meme wars is about economics, society and the world today. An adult picture book with many words to make your feel better.
Honestly, this book is amazing, full of remarkable facts and figures that one wouldn’t know otherwise. However, as I haven’t even been taught economics, the book can be a challenge.
Kalle Lasn has a chatty, informal way of looking and that is reflected throughout the book.
The layout is really interesting and the little questions make you think deeper than superficial.
“Does lif
Anna
Where was this book ten years ago? I really needed it when I was eighteen, fresh from being frustrated by the blinkered stupidity of A-level economics and disappointed that the economics paper in my undergraduate course seemed little better. This book is intended as an antidote to standard neoclassical economics textbooks, such as bloody Mankiw (the unchallenged assumptions in that book drove me mad). As such, I think it works well. 'Meme Wars' uses the same format as Adbusters magazine, which i ...more
Brett
The rhetoric may be a bit repetitive/radical for some, but considering the topic I think it's well deserved.
Brian
For those who think that anarchists and Occupy movement types are thoughtless and without theoretical foundations, this book compiled by the Adbusters group under founder Kalle Lasn's dirction is a must read. It focuses on economic theory, critiquing the current paradigm (neoclassicism), but offering an amazing array of competing theories and visions.
Andy Mitchell
This book is weird.
And thought-provoking.

It put me to sleep several times, even though I loved the intellectual challenge of following the many essays challenging MSNBC financial beliefs.

This book is hard work, full of pictures and essays and strange collages.

I give it my highest recommendation. Even though you'll probably hate it.
Steve Mahr
One of the most influential books I have ever read. This book did for me in the area of lifestyle what Jesus for President did for me in how I understand Christ/Poverty/Violence. It is an eye-opening, mind-blowing, upsetting and yet hopeful critique on our entire global operating system.
Alex Boerger
This Book contains great insight and ideas. Many Perspectives I never thought about. But I was missing the meme part. I read a lot about memetics and so i expected something else. I was hoping for some thoughts about the question: Where do the current memes come from and what we can do about it.
joshuA
Bookmarked at Max-Neef piece.
Mina
Mina marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Seán
Seán marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
William Reichard
William Reichard marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
James Mullard
James Mullard marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Samantha Alfrey
Samantha Alfrey marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Ya Go
Ya Go marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Shane Kim
Shane Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Ahmet
Ahmet marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Billur
Billur marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Lourdes
Lourdes marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Nick Mould
Nick Mould marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Work: Capitalism. Economics. Resistance
  • America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
  • Inventing Hell: Dante, the Bible and Eternal Torment
  • Predator Nation: Corporate Criminals, Political Corruption, and the Hijacking of America
  • Illumination and Night Glare: The Unfinished Autobiography of Carson McCullers
  • The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One: How Corporate Executives and Politicians Looted the S&l Industry
  • The Wealth of Nature: Economics as if Survival Mattered
  • Ghosts of Tom Joad: A Story of the #99 Percent
  • Future Of Money
  • The Mindset Lists of American History: From Typewriters to Text Messages, What Ten Generations of Americans Think Is Normal
  • Bass Culture: When Reggae Was King
  • Joseph Cornell's Theater of the Mind: Selected Diaries, Letters, and Files
  • The Entrepreneurial State: Debunking Public vs. Private Sector Myths
  • Phi: A Voyage from the Brain to the Soul
  • The End of Growth: Adapting to Our New Economic Reality
  • The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images
  • What's the Economy For, Anyway?: Why It's Time to Stop Chasing Growth and Start Pursuing Happiness
  • Life at Home in the Twenty-First Century: 32 Families Open Their Doors
Culture Jam: How To Reverse America's Suicidal Consumer Binge - And Why We Must Design Anarchy Mim Savaşları Neoklasik İktisadın Yaratıcı İmhası Adbusters #90 Adbusters #94