Start by marking “Ryan Mendoza.” as Want to Read:
Ryan Mendoza.

Irvine Welsh

Ryan Mendoza.

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  11,525 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
Made up of three of Welsh's most powerful stories, all come from the rough, tough badlands of the schemes of North Edinburgh and take us into a dark but hilarious world of drugs, deviant sex and football hooliganism fired by Welsh's passion and fierce steaming rock and roll.
1 page
Published by White Cube (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Ryan Mendoza., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ryan Mendoza.

Paul Bryant
Mar 26, 2009 Paul Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Holy shit, how could I have forgotten to add this to my list already, this collection of breakneck vileness, this wretchedness you wrench your head away from in shame that it happens to be so gripping and so funny. In the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind they have invented a method for erasing specified memories from your mind - I hope they invent just such a thing in real life so I can get them to erase all memory of my five star books so that I can read them all for the first time a ...more
Jessica
I'm pretty sure the novella "A Smart Cunt" was in here. Though I have zero recollection of it now, at the time I read that I thought it was brilliant, and because I was bored on vacation in London with nothing better to do, I wrote what I believe was the only fan letter to an author I've ever sent, telling him this. And he wrote me back! In my letter, I'd asked him if he actually listened to techno music, since all his characters did and it was inconceivable to me at the time (I was 18) that any ...more
Rupert Dreyfus
I really enjoyed these stories. Like a lot of Welsh's work, the language and the settings capture something really special which is why I've decided to bump it up from 3 stars to 4 stars as 3 would be unjustifiable. I felt waves of nostalgia when reading certain reference points which I've only come to appreciate when penning this review (it's got a very late '80s feel). And the Scots dialect in written form is what makes it for me; I could read it all day. Some people may see this as a bit of a ...more
Lavinia Zamfir
The Acid House is a collection of short stories, with each story featuring a new set of characters and scenarios.

I am a fan of Irvine Welsh's works so I really enjoyed this one.

Welsh's characters are edgy; society's dregs, hard-luck losers pinned to seediness by their own low expectations. The short stories are full of the characthers' nihilism and self-absortion, violence and twisted/black humour. Reading these stories will also give you a vintage, '80s feeling. It kinda resembles Trainspotti
Deniz Erol
Oct 03, 2016 Deniz Erol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A number of dank and torrid tales of wrongdoing. Irvine Welsh says, if you don't get to the bottom of things, are you really alive? I mean society being what it is, isn't the sensible man's response to go insane? Well, I don't know, Welsh - your philosophy is debatable but your prose is stunning. My favorites here are a "The Granton Star Cause," an even more acrid retelling of The Metamorphosis, "Eurotrash," which remains to be savored like a putrid aftertaste of something that goes down delecta ...more
Dan
May 24, 2009 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Welsh fans
Shelves: 50-books-2009
Let me say that Irvine Welsh is my all time favorite author. Books such as Trainspotting and Ecstasy are pinnacles of modern fiction (alright, not so modern anymore, I guess). His stories are always insane, his characters flawed but wonderful, and the usage of Scottish vernacular is the coolest way books have been written since A Clockwork Orange. The Acid House is a hit and miss short story collection. Don't get me wrong; probably half the stories are brilliant, as usual. Sadly, the other half ...more
Oct 28, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like raunchy humour and drug books.
Recommended to Jennifer by: I saw trainspotting and decided to check out more of Irvine Wels
Shelves: owned
This book made me laugh so much. It's a bunch of short stories and there are two that really stuck out for me. In one a guy drops acid and ends up switching bodies with a baby (or thinking he did, I can't remember). The baby with his adult brain gets off on breast feeding and watching his parents have sex. The Adult with the baby brain ends up in the hospital drooling all over himself. His girlfriends visits him and everyone thinks he is messed up from the acid.
The second story that really stuc
Redfox5
I was disappointed when I cracked this open to find that it was a collection of short stories. I did not realise this at the time I put this on my wishlist. I'm not a massive fan of short stories. They tend to be dull and have this unfinishedness about them.

I read them all anyways and while some were better than others (The Granton Star Cause) most of them were not that interesting. Also really disliked 'Disnae Matter' because this included one of my biggest pet hates, when people say Disneyla
Colin N.
Jul 25, 2011 Colin N. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "the Acid House" Welsh once again exposes the vibrant, crass, depressing, and violent sex and drug-filled underbelly of Scotland. The majority of these stories are excellent, very few feel like filler. Welsh also takes a number of risks, moving away from stories narrated by junkies and pimps and focusing on other troubled members of society (an old man missing his wife, a movie-fanatic loner), although the junky stories are there too, most notably the novella at the end.

Welsh also plays arou
J.M. Hushour
Sep 18, 2016 J.M. Hushour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm becoming more and more convinced that Welsh created himself out of the ashes of some weird, drug-driven orgy between the guys from "A Clockwork Orange" and the great satirist tradition that begins somewhere in post-Ice Age Europe with recent high points being Monty Python and Tobias Funke and whose end, despite the best efforts of many, is hopefully in the far-flung future.
All these stories collected in this collection are good, but the few that really stand out make it worth reading all of
Andrew
Apr 08, 2010 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had watched trainspotting as a teenager and had prematurly assumed that Irvine Welsh was a genius. I picked up Acid House and was quickly discouraged. His characterization was there, and better than what I witnessed in the films. The characters unfortunatly stand on a blank canvas. The stories were bland, shocking and disqusting, but still bland.

I would have given it one star except for a feeling I get, that the stories weren't written for me. I feel like if I lived my life in some dusty Scot
Simon Hollway
May 28, 2016 Simon Hollway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Belting banter from the master of the smack house jive. Short stories, in my shallow experience, are all inept foreplay and frustrating fizzle. However, Mr Welsh' are based on the heroin binary code which has a pronounced craven start, an abrupt finish and a delicious intermezzo. The novella included here, 'A Smart Cunt', is worth the entry price alone.
Laurie Mac
Mar 25, 2011 Laurie Mac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
literary gold. Every one of these short stories are a work of genius. My favourite being the tale of coco brice. whilst out of his tree on drugs, his mind, and the mind of a new born baby are swapped over, turning coco into a slobbering idiot, and the baby into a dirty wee man.
Nate D
Sep 22, 2007 Nate D rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britain
A whole mess of fairly standard-issue Irvine Welsh stories which, 3 years later, have not really stuck with me. Never boring, however.
Hannah Polley
Jun 06, 2017 Hannah Polley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irvine-welsh
This is literally one of the worse books I have ever read. It is a collection of short stories although some of the characters are the same and they all seem to be vaguely connected. Every other word is a swear word and it adds nothing to the story.

I struggled to see how anyone could enjoy these stories. I was very disappointed as although I have not read Trainspotting, I have heard very good things about it.
Kelliann Gomez
Jun 12, 2017 Kelliann Gomez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a fantastic intro to Irvine Welsh's writing style, especially for getting used to the Scotts English dialogue. It's not as overwhelming as I found Trainspotting to be, but I feel like after reading this, Trainspotting will be much more enjoyable and easier to understand.

I've also been on a short story kick, and this was perfect. The stories were short, brutal, and captivating.
Miguel Soto
Feb 13, 2017 Miguel Soto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si algo sabe hacer Irvine Welsh es producir desencajadas, intensas y frenéticas emociones, pero sin melodrama barato, sino con recursos más finos, aunque sean más "guarros". No decepcionan los relatos, unos tan breves como media página, otros no tanto, pero prácticamente todos llenos de esa afectividad sin filtrar que he llegado a identificar con los escoceses de fines del XX (pienso en Fish con Marillion), afectivdad que puede ser iracunda, violenta, soez, broncuda, pero también dolida y lloros ...more
Miss Michael
I'm between three and four stars on this one. I picked it up because I wanted to read more from Welsh. I didn't actually know anything about it, so I was surprised to find it was a collection of short stories and one novella. I enjoyed that aspect; we get to see Welsh explore different themes and styles. Not everything is set in the reality we know.

I was unsurprised to find the same vice-filled characters I expect from Welsh after reading Trainspotting. My opinion of the collection was tepid unt
JK
Jul 22, 2015 JK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wee collection of short stories! I'm really getting through these this year. I realised two stories into this that I had already read it as a teenager, but I'd forgotten almost everything that happened in the stories, so it wasn't a great loss.

In true Irvine Welsh fashion, everything about this collection is vile, dark, disturbing and vomit-inducing. It really is spit your dinner out material, but it grips you unbelievably hard.

Welsh explores a lot of different themes and styles here, it
Joe
The Acid House was published less than a year after Welsh's dynamic debut Trainspotting, and it possesses the same energy and freshness. These tales are equally hilarious and disturbing, and a few of them - including the title story, where God turns the protagonist into a housefly - are prime examples of transgressive fiction at its most bizarre and most creative. My favourite stories in this collection are: 'Eurotrash', 'The Last Resort on the Adriatic'(Surprisingly moving, demonstrating the sh ...more
Michael Bohli
Jul 30, 2015 Michael Bohli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Die totale Abkehr von Liebe und Menschlichkeit, dies zeichnet viele Texte von Irvine Welsh aus. Der Autor versteht es wie kein anderer, die Abgründe und dunklen Stellen der Gesellschaft auf den Menschen zu übertragen und ohne grosse Übertreibung darzustellen. In "Acid House" treibt er dies auf die Spitze, in dem er seine Figuren auf wenigen Seiten in Kurzgeschichten stolpern, fallen und verenden lässt.
Drogen, Sex, Dreck und Gewalt. Bekannte Zutaten vermengen sich auch hier zu faszinierenden Tex
Gavin
Dec 22, 2014 Gavin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friend-recs, dfw, europe
Welsh's short stories in this collection were, as in most collections, hit or miss. I really enjoyed Snuff, The Acid House, and Eurotrash. I was also really impressed with the tone and dialect Welsh crafts in the collection's longest piece, a novella of 112 pages revolving around the stumblings of Brian, a wallowing, substance-abusing, well-meaning twenty-something. The phonetic Scots in most of the stories was often exhausting though and, as was the case with Marabou Stork Nightmares, the sheer ...more
Laurie
A bit uneven at times, as any collection will be. One of the stories contained one of the most vile tableaus I've ever read and now it is burned into my memory. I really enjoyed the novella at the end. Just a few weeks in the life of a smackhead, the goings-on and hangers-on. All in all a pretty interesting portrait of a point in time of Scotland's fringey youngsters.
Jack Davis
Jan 20, 2017 Jack Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wow - another blast from the past (The 90's) and another I've forgotten to include on my read list.

A collection of short, not entirely sweet stories by Irvine Welsh... Most memorable is the story about the lad who turns into fly.....
John Opalenik
Just like every collection of short stories, this is hit or miss. It's definitely Irvine Welsh though. So expect darkly hilarious stories with heartbreaking endings, as well as his phonetic spellings of dialogue in a thick Scottish accent.
Gilbert Lopez
Feb 03, 2008 Gilbert Lopez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like trainspotting
The stories are written in a crazy-ass dialect, a little hard at first, but by the end you kinda feel like you've learned a new language. Irvine Welsh can write some pretty good short stories.
Greg
May 25, 2015 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories are good some are ok. The last novella was the best of the bunch, but nothing was really overwhelming.
Old-Barbarossa
Jun 08, 2008 Old-Barbarossa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is better than Trainspotting. Like a bunch of mad stories you'd overhear down the pub told by drunks...and funny, very funny.
Richard
Nov 23, 2014 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book of Irvine Welsh's short stories from the 90s. Also made into a film.
Ana Cardona
La edición y la traducción de anagrama es pésima, tal vez en el idioma original, todos los cuentos y los diálogos tendrían un mayor sentido, sin embargo, se pueden rescatar algunos.
  • Hell's Half Acre
  • The Best Short Stories
  • The Coma
  • The Bridge
  • My Idea of Fun
  • Be My Enemy  (Jack Parlabane, #4)
  • The Information
  • Life in the Fat Lane
  • The Fuck-Up
  • Clown Girl
  • The Informers
Probably most famous for his gritty depiction of a gang of Scottish Heroin addicts, Trainspotting, Welsh focuses on the darker side of human nature and drug use. All of his novels are set in his native Scotland and filled with anti-heroes, small time crooks and hooligans. Welsh manages, however to imbue these characters with a sad humanity that makes them likable despite their obvious scumbaggerry ...more
More about Irvine Welsh...

“I was anti-everything and everyone. I didn't want people around me. This aversion was not some big crippling anxiety; merely a mature recognition of my own psychological vulnerability and my lack of suitability as a companion. Thoughts jostled for space in my crowded brain as i struggled to give them some order which might serve to motivate my listless life.” 167 likes
“This is what being alive's all about, all those fucked up feelings. You've got to have them; when you stop, watch out.” 79 likes