Start by marking “Beyond Baby Talk: From Speaking to Spelling: A Guide to Language and Literacy Development for Parents and Caregivers” as Want to Read:

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From "Goo" to Gab — Guiding Your Child to Effective Communication
The first five years of a child's life are the most critical for speech and language development, and, as a parent, you are your child's primary language role model. So what are the best ways to help your child develop the all-important skill of communication? Fun, easy, and engaging, this book shows you how!
Published October 2nd 2012 by Harmony (first published June 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Baby Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Baby Talk

Jeremy
The content of this book is mediocre. The first four chapters are useful for establishing benchmarks for your child. The rest of the book suffers from being either common sense, uninteresting, or outdated. Of course the last problem isn't the authors' fault since the book was published in 2001, but discussions of VHS tapes certainly feel dated. The entire section on media needs a revision, not only because technology has changed so much, but because the authors do not even discuss how music may ...more
Jenn
Not a bad book. A lot of the info was common sense, in my opinion - and the authors were a little too thorough in their explanations at times. The way they presented info was redundant most of the time, which I know is best to retain what you're learning - but that made it a little boring. I liked the chapter about the effects of media on language development - probably the most interesting part of the book. Overall, it's a good resource.
Anne
I learned some interesting tidbits about infant language development from this book, but I wish it had gone into more detail. It is really an overview of the topic, but since linguistics is an interest of mine, I want more detail. I chose this book for its layperson language, but it turned out to be a bit too simplified for me. I want to know more, but I don't want to have to read a dissertation!
Tara
This book provides a lot of good, basic information on language development, and I would recommend it for new parents. I found that much of the information was redundant from my many classes in speech pathology. Even more than that, I actually retained some information so parts of the book were a little bit boring to me. But like I said, good information is provided, overall.
Lindsay
This is a great book for parents who want to know just a little bit more about language development. Very reader friendly, down to earth, with doable suggestions when they are given. I would love an updated version!
Krys
Truly awesome! Loved the chapter on the influence of media! I wish it had incorporated more info. on actives to do with your child to increase language development!
Michelle
A little to simplified for an SLP, but a good resource for those unfamiliar with speech and language development.
Christine Turner
American Speech - Language - Hearing Association

Note: Easy read and great resource for parents!
Merrie
Very helpful book on language development-- great present from language expert and good bud Kath.
Godwin Samuel
Godwin Samuel marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Alaa
Alaa added it
Feb 12, 2015
Jacque Goble
Jacque Goble is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2014
'robin
'robin marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
Aug 02, 2014
Jacquie Stebar erickson
Jacquie Stebar erickson marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Dayla
Dayla marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Kayla
Kayla is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2014
Juli
Juli marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Beyond Baby Talk: From Speaking to Spelling: A Guide to Language and Literacy Development for Parents and Caregivers Handbook of Language and Literacy: Development and Disorders. Challenges in Language and Literacy. Handbook of Language and Literacy, First Edition: Development and Disorders Speaking, Reading, and Writing in Children with Language Learning Disabilities: New Paradigms in Research and Practice