Start by marking “A Nation Worth Ranting About” as Want to Read:
A Nation Worth Ranting About

A Nation Worth Ranting About

An all-new collection of furiously funny rants from the most recent seasons of the Rick Mercer Report plus three brilliantly written, previously unpublished pieces by Rick. Illustrated throughout with photos and snatches of dialogue from Rick’s encounters and exploits across Canada.

“[Mercer’s] trademark one-camera rants against the Canadian parliamentary machine are more c
Published September 18th 2012 by Doubleday Canada (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Nation Worth Ranting About, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Nation Worth Ranting About

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodLife of Pi by Yann Martel
Oh, Canada!
242nd out of 666 books — 302 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAnne of the Island by L.M. MontgomeryAlaska and Back by Dorothy May MercerThe Shipping News by Annie Proulx
255th out of 271 books — 123 voters

More lists with this book...

The Night Hawk (Erin)
Rick had place his rants and some articles written for various publications all in one place! The trouble is, while he is a good writer and knows what he's talking about, I have no interest in politics, it's just not something I can relate too. And a lot of his rants are about politics, Harper, House of Commons and the like. It's not my thing, but I did skim through a lot of them.

What I did like were the rants about random things like snow days! These are things I can relate to! I loved reading
Ben Babcock
Rick Mercer is a national treasure, and if his show hasn’t convinced you of this, then you need to get this book and re-read some of his rants from years gone by. Having been living in the UK for the past year and a half, my opportunities to watch The Rick Mercer Report have been reduced (I could probably get it, but it would require time and effort I don’t really have right now). I bought this book at the airport on my way back to the UK in the new year, because I was worried I would finish the ...more
Morag Champagne-holland
In “A Nation Worth Ranting About”, Rick Mercer approaches serious topics with energy, wit, and flair. The topics of his rants range from attack ads to cameras in the House of Commons, and each brief tirade is passionate and informative. He is well informed and knowledgeable, and his political rants never fail to evoke interest and curiosity in his readers.
Though reading Rick Mercer’s rants is a completely different experience than watching them in his shows, it has an equally great impact on th
Dec 29, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Then again, I love watching his show so it seems that I would not be disappointed by this book. Throughout, I kept hearing his voice so it was like he was reading it to me.

There are so many laugh out loud moments that I think my family was seriously concerned for me at times. He hits everything right on the mark ... well, that is unless you are a Conservative. Then, maybe you may not enjoy this book so much. Also, the pictures throughout were fantastic.

As I was reading this as
Rebecca McNutt
May 20, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious, well-written and deeply Canadian, this is one of the funniest books I've ever read. Ever since I watched one of the Rick Mercer Reports in grade 10, I've watched them every day, and this book is nothing short of brilliant and a laugh-riot.
Mar 02, 2013 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Mercer once again made me laugh out loud while pondering the state of Canada's government. Some people may feel his rants are at times a personal attack on Steven Harper (our Prime Minister), Mike Duffy or some of the MP's that make up our federal government. I'm a huge follower of The Rick Mercer Report mostly because I get his sense of humour and sarcasm plus he always makes me stop and think about current events within our country. Rick is willing to try just about anything whether it ma ...more
Jessica James
Feb 18, 2015 Jessica James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up with Rick Mercer on This Hour Has 22 Minutes and his solo show The Rick Mercer Report, I have to respect the guy for telling it like it is.
Mercer has been called the ultimate Canadian for having done a myriad of stupid, dangerous (and truly Canadian) things with just about every famous homegrown face in this country. His brand of humour is funny, smart, and thought provoking, all of which he brings to the table in this updated copy of his book "A Nation Worth Ranting About".
If yo
Nov 25, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm not a huge nonfiction reader as a rule but I really enjoyed this book. I think Mercer is funny and witty; his ideas are clever and he articulates them well. It does make me shudder to read about what our government is dong to Canada but reading it from Mercer's point of view makes it a bit more bearable.
Dec 31, 2015 Ruthie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-lit, 2015
I love Rick Mercer, he makes me laugh and think! The material in this book is dated, and yet with another Harper election going on, still relevant! I was laughing to myself while reading this, but when I passed it on to my teen daughter (we live in the USA now) she didn't get most of the references....
May 09, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heart Rick Mercer.
I heart his brains, his rants and his say-it-like-it-is attitude.
I just HEART the man!

I read this whole book in Rick's voice while picturing him walking quickly through alleys and that made it even better. If you didn't like it try reading it that'll work.

Nov 25, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A funny, yet sometimes sad reflection on Canadian politics since 2008. On one hand chronicling a nation listlessly allowing democracy to dissolve and on the other a reminder of this countries potential for greatness.
Nicole Timko
3 1/2 stars. Love Rick. Had no idea he was gay and don't really care. I think regardless of his sexuality his post rant comments on the gay boy who died would have had just as good of an impact on me.
Kanita Khaled
May 19, 2014 Kanita Khaled rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Canada, but I was never interested in Canadian politics. Every time I used to hear about the topic, it was the same story, "I hate Harper", "Harper government sucks", etc. This book helped me delve into this topic in an honest manner from a witty, knowledgeable perspective.

Every short story in Mercer's book left me with a poignant message. And it didn't hurt that I was laughing out loud through each story as well. Mercer's writing style is unpretentious and easy to read. Once you pick it
A huge fan of Rick Mercer, this book was both hilarious and informative.
Ronald Kelland
Feb 20, 2016 Ronald Kelland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is exactly what one would expect it to be. A collection of Mercer's rants from the last few years supplemented with some of his newspaper commentaries and a few other personal reflections. They are, of course, characterized with Mercer's characteristic cynical and bitter humour and they show his exasperation with politics and societal apathy, but he also includes observations of individuals and groups that give hope for the future. I did not read the book in one sitting. I dipped into i ...more
Francesca Rock

Well that synopsis pretty much says it all. This collection was amazing. It made me laugh and it even made me cry. Rick Mercer, you always manage to move me. If I had any wish for you it would only be that you could be on the air daily like your American counter parts. Still, your rants did move me, and they often made me laugh, and your rant on bullying and the accompanying essay moved me to tears.

Thank you for being you Mr. Mercer.

Check out more of my reviews at http://whatabookbitch.blogspot
Apr 18, 2013 A.J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, embarrassing confession to begin with: I didn't really know who Rick Mercer was before I read this book. I'd heard his name, for sure, but I'm not much of a TV watcher (how d'you think I read so many books?!) so I don't think I've ever actually seen him or any of his shows.

Having said that, I now feel I know the guy quite well. He's passionate about Canada, really really anti Stephen Harper's Conservative government and strongly supportive of youngsters who are struggling with bullying, part
This, and other reviews can be found on my blog Just a Lil' Lost

Host ofThe Rick Mercer Report on CBC in Canada, A Nation Worth Ranting About is a collection of the famous rants that Rick Mercer does on his TV show. Often political, always succinct, Mercer's rants are delivered in his signature voice - full of facts, with a dash of sarcasm and dry wit. Interspersed with photos from some highlight moments on theRick Mercer Report as well as reflections on the public's reactions to a few of his key
Lauren Hyde
Feb 04, 2016 Lauren Hyde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I, like Rick Mercer, love Canada with all my heart. Which naturally means I'm going to constantly criticize her various faults and make a cynic of myself in the process. And then maybe I'll publish a book about it. Why? Not because I'm angry. Because I care.
Rick Mercer cares.
Rick Mercer cares about Canada.
So I went ahead and gave this little gem a five our of five. It's certainly not perfect - I don't agree with everything Mercer has to say, some of his jokes are borderline (okay, past the b
Jennifer Rayment
The Good Stuff

The chapter on Rich Hanson is worth the price of the book alone
Self-deprecating, honest and extremely wise
Makes me want to go and vote
Was constantly laughing, nodding my head in agreement and on quite a few occasions there may have been snorting laughter (sorry Chapters co-workers in lunch room that day)
loved it so much I made it my staff pick at work
The chapter on proper escalator and elevator etiquette should be a must read for anyone over the age of 5 (Hmm wonder if he co
Nov 29, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-non-fiction
As a regular watcher of the Rick Mercer Report, I was confident I would enjoy this book, being as it is a collection of most of the "rants" he does in the weekly TV show. I wasn't disappointed.

Rick Mercer is basically a Canadian treasure! He's smart, he's funny, he's obsessed with politics and he lives to call out stupid people doing stupid stuff for stupid reasons. He's even mostly polite while he does all that - like I said: a Canadian treasure!

Reading all the rants together, instead of just h
Rob Johnston
Jan 10, 2013 Rob Johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone familiar with the old This Hour Has 22 Minutes and now the Rick Mercer Report will be familiar with his black and white walks down graffiti laden alleys talking about the essential Canadian issues of the day.
Reading his rants are certainly a little different than watching the man speak on television, as you don't have the same careful delivery. Mercer knows how to deliver a phrase though, and you don't lose too much impact by switching formats. Really, the man can talk politics in a way
Jan 13, 2014 Patrickmalka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really feel like Rick Mercer's collected rants are an amazing snapshot of Canada's political landscape. Reading this book now, I recall the events mentioned in this book and can ask myself whether or not we've moved forward in this country. Often, the answer is not so much. Whenever you read a passage where Mercer is hopeful something will improve and 3 years later nothing has changed, take a shot. It will make for a longer read, not necesserily a better one. But without getting too analytical ...more
Tejas Janet
Jul 23, 2013 Tejas Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Progressives who like political satire and social commentary
Would give 3.5 stars - if Goodreads allowed. While I enjoyed this book, I found that it was too much like reading a talk show transcript -- and I'd prefer to see the actual performance. I was motivated to read this primarily because of a recent vacation to Canada, where Rick Mercer's show is going into its 11th year on the CBC. I couldn't help but see him as the Canadian counterpart to Jon Stewart in the US, so I was curious to see what he had to say here. His humorous, satirical viewpoint and d ...more
Oct 31, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Rick Mercer's rants. I may not agree with everything he says, but I often agree with most of it. Although the rants are simply transcripts from his show (and although I don't get to watch his show regularly, some of them I certainly had heard before), it was still just as entertaining to "hear" them a second time. Given that they are arranged in chronological order, it was like reading a satire version of a history textbook. He has written several essays to follow up on some of the rants ...more
Jul 16, 2014 Vlad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't follow Canadian politics. But RMR is the sane way of staying informed about politics.
However, what Mercer does is rarely ranting. Being too polite we won't hear from him cutthroat adjectives like Richard Dawkins spews against religion. That's the beauty of being a Canadian heckler, you get to keep your shirt blood-free and spit-free. What rant is that when you add "Mr" before Harper's name?
I’ve been a fan of Rick Mercer since I saw my first episode of Talking to Americans, and when I watched This Hour Has 22 Minutes after it came on when This is the Red Green Show ended during my home-time lunch-break. I love The Rick Mercer Report, I've been watching since it evolved from the Monday Report, and The Rant is my favourite section. So it’s no surprise that I enjoyed spending my afternoon reading this collection of rants and essays about my favourite country!

Mercer rants about anythi
Mar 11, 2013 Shireen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013
Many of the rants were familiar to me, so I must admit I skimmed through those, but the Maclean's articles were not, and some of the rants I just didn't remember. I could hear Mercer ranting in my head as I read them. His humour doesn't grow old, even if some of the topics were a bit out of date. Even so, it was interesting to revisit old controversies. The piece I laughed hardest at was his backstory on the Rick Hansen piece on RMR. I almost fell off my chair.

If you're not a Canadian and have n
Phil Reads
Jul 16, 2014 Phil Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was an absolute delight. Rick Mercer is a national treasure, and this book is one of my all-time favourite pieces of work that he's produced.

I've published some longer thoughts on this book online on my blog at:
Craig Cote
Jan 05, 2016 Craig Cote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a RMR fan, I was familiar with many of the rants in the book. But that didn't affect my enjoyment of reading them. :) I appreciate that Rick Mercer is willing to say aloud what many of us think but lack the platform to express: that democracy in Canada was broken under the Harper administration. Will it get better with a new government in power? Time will tell. I'm hopeful.
  • Crazy Town: The Rob Ford Story
  • Call Me Russell
  • Unflinching: The Making of a Canadian Sniper
  • America, But Better: The Canada Party Manifesto
  • You Are Here: Around the World in 92 Minutes
  • Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe (Vinyl Cafe, #7)
  • Terry: Terry Fox and His Marathon of Hope
  • Women's Voices, Feminist Visions: Classic and Contemporary Readings
  • Shift Work
  • The Morning After: The 1995 Quebec Referendum and the Day that Almost Was
  • The Juggler's Children: A Journey into Family, Legend and the Genes that Bind Us
  • The Day I (Almost) Killed Two Gretzkys: And Other Off The Wall Stories About Sports...And Life
  • Stephen Colbert: Beyond Truthiness
  • Common Ground
Whatever's making headlines in this country [Canada]; you can be sure Rick Mercer has something to say about it.

So, where did Rick get his start? Born and raised on The Rock - St. John's, Newfoundland, Rick grew up with a love of performing. As a teenager, he co-founded a comedy troupe called 'Corey and Wade's Playhouse.' And a couple of years later, dropped out of high school to join a clown trou
More about Rick Mercer...