A Nation Worth Ranting About

A Nation Worth Ranting About

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  447 ratings  ·  92 reviews
An all-new collection of furiously funny rants from the most recent seasons of the Rick Mercer Report plus three brilliantly written, previously unpublished pieces by Rick. Illustrated throughout with photos and snatches of dialogue from Rick’s encounters and exploits across Canada.

“[Mercer’s] trademark one-camera rants against the Canadian parliamentary machine are more c...more
ebook
Published September 18th 2012 by Doubleday Canada (first published January 1st 2012)

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodThe Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies
Oh, Canada!
463rd out of 463 books — 172 voters

More lists with this book...

The Night Hawk (Erin)
Rick had place his rants and some articles written for various publications all in one place! The trouble is, while he is a good writer and knows what he's talking about, I have no interest in politics, it's just not something I can relate too. And a lot of his rants are about politics, Harper, House of Commons and the like. It's not my thing, but I did skim through a lot of them.

What I did like were the rants about random things like snow days! These are things I can relate to! I loved reading...more
Ben Babcock
Rick Mercer is a national treasure, and if his show hasn’t convinced you of this, then you need to get this book and re-read some of his rants from years gone by. Having been living in the UK for the past year and a half, my opportunities to watch The Rick Mercer Report have been reduced (I could probably get it, but it would require time and effort I don’t really have right now). I bought this book at the airport on my way back to the UK in the new year, because I was worried I would finish the...more
Kathy
I loved this book! Then again, I love watching his show so it seems that I would not be disappointed by this book. Throughout, I kept hearing his voice so it was like he was reading it to me.

There are so many laugh out loud moments that I think my family was seriously concerned for me at times. He hits everything right on the mark ... well, that is unless you are a Conservative. Then, maybe you may not enjoy this book so much. Also, the pictures throughout were fantastic.

As I was reading this as...more
Maureen
Rick Mercer once again made me laugh out loud while pondering the state of Canada's government. Some people may feel his rants are at times a personal attack on Steven Harper (our Prime Minister), Mike Duffy or some of the MP's that make up our federal government. I'm a huge follower of The Rick Mercer Report mostly because I get his sense of humour and sarcasm plus he always makes me stop and think about current events within our country. Rick is willing to try just about anything whether it ma...more
Lindsay

I'm not a huge nonfiction reader as a rule but I really enjoyed this book. I think Mercer is funny and witty; his ideas are clever and he articulates them well. It does make me shudder to read about what our government is dong to Canada but reading it from Mercer's point of view makes it a bit more bearable.
Lori
I heart Rick Mercer.
I heart his brains, his rants and his say-it-like-it-is attitude.
I just HEART the man!

I read this whole book in Rick's voice while picturing him walking quickly through alleys and that made it even better. If you didn't like it try reading it that way..it'll work.

Dan
A funny, yet sometimes sad reflection on Canadian politics since 2008. On one hand chronicling a nation listlessly allowing democracy to dissolve and on the other a reminder of this countries potential for greatness.
Nicole Timko
3 1/2 stars. Love Rick. Had no idea he was gay and don't really care. I think regardless of his sexuality his post rant comments on the gay boy who died would have had just as good of an impact on me.
Kanita Khaled
I love Canada, but I was never interested in Canadian politics. Every time I used to hear about the topic, it was the same story, "I hate Harper", "Harper government sucks", etc. This book helped me delve into this topic in an honest manner from a witty, knowledgeable perspective.

Every short story in Mercer's book left me with a poignant message. And it didn't hurt that I was laughing out loud through each story as well. Mercer's writing style is unpretentious and easy to read. Once you pick it...more
Foggygirl
A huge fan of Rick Mercer, this book was both hilarious and informative.
Francesca Rock

Well that synopsis pretty much says it all. This collection was amazing. It made me laugh and it even made me cry. Rick Mercer, you always manage to move me. If I had any wish for you it would only be that you could be on the air daily like your American counter parts. Still, your rants did move me, and they often made me laugh, and your rant on bullying and the accompanying essay moved me to tears.

Thank you for being you Mr. Mercer.

Check out more of my reviews at http://whatabookbitch.blogspot...more
A.J.
OK, embarrassing confession to begin with: I didn't really know who Rick Mercer was before I read this book. I'd heard his name, for sure, but I'm not much of a TV watcher (how d'you think I read so many books?!) so I don't think I've ever actually seen him or any of his shows.

Having said that, I now feel I know the guy quite well. He's passionate about Canada, really really anti Stephen Harper's Conservative government and strongly supportive of youngsters who are struggling with bullying, part...more
Michele
This, and other reviews can be found on my blog Just a Lil' Lost

Host ofThe Rick Mercer Report on CBC in Canada, A Nation Worth Ranting About is a collection of the famous rants that Rick Mercer does on his TV show. Often political, always succinct, Mercer's rants are delivered in his signature voice - full of facts, with a dash of sarcasm and dry wit. Interspersed with photos from some highlight moments on theRick Mercer Report as well as reflections on the public's reactions to a few of his key...more
Lauren Hyde
So I, like Rick Mercer, love Canada with all my heart. Which naturally means I'm going to constantly criticize her various faults and make a cynic of myself in the process. And then maybe I'll publish a book about it. Why? Not because I'm angry. Because I care.
Rick Mercer cares.
Rick Mercer cares about Canada.
So I went ahead and gave this little gem a five our of five. It's certainly not perfect - I don't agree with everything Mercer has to say, some of his jokes are borderline (okay, past the b...more
Jennifer Rayment
The Good Stuff

The chapter on Rich Hanson is worth the price of the book alone
Self-deprecating, honest and extremely wise
Makes me want to go and vote
Was constantly laughing, nodding my head in agreement and on quite a few occasions there may have been snorting laughter (sorry Chapters co-workers in lunch room that day)
loved it so much I made it my staff pick at work
The chapter on proper escalator and elevator etiquette should be a must read for anyone over the age of 5 (Hmm wonder if he co...more
Kristen
As a regular watcher of the Rick Mercer Report, I was confident I would enjoy this book, being as it is a collection of most of the "rants" he does in the weekly TV show. I wasn't disappointed.

Rick Mercer is basically a Canadian treasure! He's smart, he's funny, he's obsessed with politics and he lives to call out stupid people doing stupid stuff for stupid reasons. He's even mostly polite while he does all that - like I said: a Canadian treasure!

Reading all the rants together, instead of just h...more
Rob Johnston
Anyone familiar with the old This Hour Has 22 Minutes and now the Rick Mercer Report will be familiar with his black and white walks down graffiti laden alleys talking about the essential Canadian issues of the day.
Reading his rants are certainly a little different than watching the man speak on television, as you don't have the same careful delivery. Mercer knows how to deliver a phrase though, and you don't lose too much impact by switching formats. Really, the man can talk politics in a way...more
Patrickmalka
I really feel like Rick Mercer's collected rants are an amazing snapshot of Canada's political landscape. Reading this book now, I recall the events mentioned in this book and can ask myself whether or not we've moved forward in this country. Often, the answer is not so much. Whenever you read a passage where Mercer is hopeful something will improve and 3 years later nothing has changed, take a shot. It will make for a longer read, not necesserily a better one. But without getting too analytical...more
Tejas Janet
Jul 23, 2013 Tejas Janet rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Progressives who like political satire and social commentary
Would give 3.5 stars - if Goodreads allowed. While I enjoyed this book, I found that it was too much like reading a talk show transcript -- and I'd prefer to see the actual performance. I was motivated to read this primarily because of a recent vacation to Canada, where Rick Mercer's show is going into its 11th year on the CBC. I couldn't help but see him as the Canadian counterpart to Jon Stewart in the US, so I was curious to see what he had to say here. His humorous, satirical viewpoint and d...more
Kim
I love Rick Mercer's rants. I may not agree with everything he says, but I often agree with most of it. Although the rants are simply transcripts from his show (and although I don't get to watch his show regularly, some of them I certainly had heard before), it was still just as entertaining to "hear" them a second time. Given that they are arranged in chronological order, it was like reading a satire version of a history textbook. He has written several essays to follow up on some of the rants...more
Raresh Vlad
I don't follow Canadian politics. But RMR is the sane way of staying informed about politics.
However, what Mercer does is rarely ranting. Being too polite we won't hear from him cutthroat adjectives like Richard Dawkins spews against religion. That's the beauty of being a Canadian heckler, you get to keep your shirt blood-free and spit-free. What rant is that when you add "Mr" before Harper's name?
Elisa
I’ve been a fan of Rick Mercer since I saw my first episode of Talking to Americans, and when I watched This Hour Has 22 Minutes after it came on when This is the Red Green Show ended during my home-time lunch-break. I love The Rick Mercer Report, I've been watching since it evolved from the Monday Report, and The Rant is my favourite section. So it’s no surprise that I enjoyed spending my afternoon reading this collection of rants and essays about my favourite country!

Mercer rants about anythi...more
Shireen
Many of the rants were familiar to me, so I must admit I skimmed through those, but the Maclean's articles were not, and some of the rants I just didn't remember. I could hear Mercer ranting in my head as I read them. His humour doesn't grow old, even if some of the topics were a bit out of date. Even so, it was interesting to revisit old controversies. The piece I laughed hardest at was his backstory on the Rick Hansen piece on RMR. I almost fell off my chair.

If you're not a Canadian and have n...more
Phil Reads
I thought this book was an absolute delight. Rick Mercer is a national treasure, and this book is one of my all-time favourite pieces of work that he's produced.

I've published some longer thoughts on this book online on my blog at:

Sue
I love Rick Mercer. I clearly remember watching "Talking to Americans", and thinking that I'd just seen the funniest, sharpest, most interesting person ever. Not the most interesting CANADIAN, the most interesting PERSON. I love his point of view, I love the way he loves Canada. That needed to be said.

Unfortunately, I didn't love this book as much as I'd hoped, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was my state of mind, maybe it was that it wasn't live and I couldn't see his face or hear his delivery -...more
Pontiki
I love Rick Mercer. He's intelligent, sarcastic, and witty. Great combination. This was a book where I could laugh, become indignant, and shake my head in wonder, all within a few chapters. I'm going to read his other books after this experience. Nice to have photos throughout as well. He's an adventurous soul.
Carrie
This collection of rants from the Rick Mercer Report, works printed in MacLean's and other publications, and original writings is a great read for fans of the show or people who follow Canadian politics. As I fall into both categories, I enjoyed reading the book. It is a good reminder of what was in the news in Canada over the past few years in short article format. I would have rated it more highly if it had a bit more original content.
Miss
a touch repetitive but i enjoyed it! i think it would have come across even better on screen. now i sort of regret skipping that chance i had last year to see his show live, i'll go if ever get an opportunity again. 3 stars
Julie
I laughed out loud at this collection of Mercer's rants! Several times. I would have given it a 5 star rating but the ratio of 10:1 political rants to generic rants was too much for me. Still, every Canadian should read it!
Wanda
Rick Mercer is the only reason that I miss my TV. Rick rants so that I don't have to. This book was like eating popcorn--light, tasty, easy to consume. It doesn't purport to be anything but an amusing series of rants, mostly about Canadian politics. I'm a bit of a political nerd, trying to keep myself informed, and Rick manages to critique the stuff that drives me nuts. However, while the rest of the continent seems to figure that being mean is funny, I don't get that vibe from Rick. He just lik...more
  • Call Me Russell
  • Persuasion: A New Approach to Changing Minds
  • A Geography of Blood: Unearthing Memory from a Prairie Landscape
  • The High Road
  • Revenge of the Vinyl Cafe
  • They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
  • The Power of Why: Simple Questions That Lead to Success
  • The Slow Fix
  • Terry: Terry Fox and His Marathon of Hope
  • The dogs of war
  • Shootin' the Shit with Kevin Smith: The Best of the SModcast
  • 7 Dirty Words: The Life and Crimes of George Carlin
  • The Juggler's Children: A Journey into Family, Legend and the Genes that Bind Us
Whatever's making headlines in this country [Canada]; you can be sure Rick Mercer has something to say about it.

So, where did Rick get his start? Born and raised on The Rock - St. John's, Newfoundland, Rick grew up with a love of performing. As a teenager, he co-founded a comedy troupe called 'Corey and Wade's Playhouse.' And a couple of years later, dropped out of high school to join a clown trou...more
More about Rick Mercer...
Rick Mercer Report: The Book Streeters: Rants and Raves from This Hour has 22 Minutes