Plague Town (Ashley Parker, #1)

Plague Town (Ashley Parker #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  871 ratings  ·  224 reviews
Ashley was just trying to get through a tough day when the world turned upside down.

A terrifying virus appears, quickly becoming a pandemic that leaves its victims, not dead, but far worse.Attacked by zombies, Ashley discovers that she is a 'Wild-Card' -- immune to the virus -- and she is recruitedto fight back and try to control the outbreak.

It'sBuffymeets theWalking Dead...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 305 pages
Published April 3rd 2012 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Plague Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plague Town

Jason (RawBlurb)
EDIT 05/23/12: It has come to my attention that I failed to note this book was well written. I would like to be clear that the author is descriptive and has no trouble putting sentences together. It was only my opinion of the the plot content that I had trouble with as outlined below, and as stated, each person should make their own decision.

~~
Original Review -

I hate giving bad reviews but it happens. My tolerance levels are pretty high for trash fiction. When I begin reading a book, I work har...more
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/03/...

Ashley Parker is attending college in the small town of Redwood Grove and dating a pleasant enough guy. Life isn’t too bad, so when she and her boyfriend are attacked by shambling, rotting corpses one night while on a date, and said boyfriend runs away and leaves her for dead, things suddenly take a turn for the worse. That’s an understatement. Ashley is bitten, but instead of turning into one of the zombie horde, she figh...more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
A new must-read series for fans of intense, gory, action-packed novels.

Fredsti has a real talent for creating zombie fiction. The carnage and details of the zombie infestation were spot on and I looked forward to every moment that would bring Ashley back into contact with one of the infected.

The zombies are very descriptive, which I loved. Young female zombies in Juicy velour and bear-sized flannel shirt wearing zombies are detailed individually and not just collectively as a horde. It created...more
Felicia
Read for Bookclub
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

First Thought When Finished: What an absolutely fun ride! Perfect addition to my zombie shelf!

What I Loved: The thing I loved most about Plague Town: the banter. I was pretty much living for the moments of dialogue between the characters. There were some pretty witty, fast-paced barbs traded and I loved each and every one! Ash was a great leading lady! She manages to get in and out of so many troubling spots that you ca...more
Loren
I don’t especially like zombies. I’ve seen a couple of zombie movies, the big ones that everyone’s seen. I’ve read a couple of zombie books. Some of them have even been good. I watched the first season of the zombie series that’s on TV, but I didn't go back for season two. Overall, though, I can take or leave zombies, since the slavering hungry masses often seem an excuse for authors (usually male) or filmmakers (always male) to objectify women in the most graphic way possible and prove just how...more
Jennifer Bielman (Bad Bird Reads)
From my Blog: http://readingandwritingurbanfantasy....

The Good
Zombiefied...
Though I love zombie movies, for some reason I don't read a lot of zombie fiction. So I was super excited to get the chance to review this book so I could finally see if the whole zombie craze is something I would like to be a part of. And guess what? I have been zombiefied! I loved this book. It was action packed, had tons of gore, and even had a little lovin' on the side.

Wild Card...
After a vicious attack by...more
gillian (Tattooed Book Review)
I want to be Ashley Parker when I grow up!

This action-packed zombie adventure features Ashley Parker: a cool, sexy, bad-ass zombie fighting heroine. Her inner and outer strength, quirky sense of humor, and relatable vulnerability make Ashley one of my favorite female leads of all time. Put her in the midst of the motley crew of immune “Wild Cards” that are her supporting cast and the result is a brilliant group of characters.
As they fight to contain a budding zombie outbreak, our characters face...more
Patrick
First of all, my wife received this book through one of Goodreads' giveaways, loved it, and recommended I give it a shot. I have to say, I'm smitten.

This book was just so effing fun! If it wasn't for my numerous responsibilities, I would've devoured it in a day. In my wife's review, she described this story as "Buffy + Walking Dead + Anita Blake! I LOVED it!" I say, while we're making comparisons, toss in a little Stephanie Plum.

Ashley is a lovable ditz, with a fiery 'tude, quirky personality,...more
K.A. Laity
Ashley Parker makes a winning heroine: she's a bit older than her fellow students and while she's got the classic California co-ed looks, it's her intelligence and integrity that you'll remember. Fredsti's writing is always full of good humour and arch observations, but it's also chock full of action and really gruesome horror. The alternation in narrative between zombie hunters and zombie sufferers gives a chance to recognise the human price of the plague, something that doesn't come across in...more
Dana Wright
Zombies, zombies, zombies!
Michelle
Plague Town is the first book in the Ashley Parker series by Dana Fredsti and a Horror Novel from Titan Books.

Book Blurb:

People are dying. Then they are waking up. Hungry.

In the small university town of Redwood Grove, people are succumbing to a lethal strain of flu. They are dying - but not for long.

Ashley Parker and her boyfriend are attacked by these shambling, rotting creatures that crave human flesh. Their lives will never be the same again.

As the town falls to ever-growing numbers of the in...more
Beth Dawkins
3.5

Ashley goes back to college after recovering from the Walker flu. The flu seems is sweeping the campus. When she and her boyfriend go for a night time picnic they are attacked by zombies. After her zombie encounter she learns that she is a ‘wild card.’ Wild cards once bitten go through a transformation that increases their senses and reflexes. Her, and a small percentage of others make up a team to help rid the town of the zombie problem.

I really enjoy zombie stories, so when asked about this...more
Mardel
After a short prologue where you read about a young mother who is exhausted, taking care of her sick husband and child then having them turn on her...Plague Town segues into a first person account of Ashley Parker.

Ashley Parker lives in a college town, Northern California, and she's recently become sick from a very strong flu called Walker's flu. Seems people are dropping left and right from this flu, even the people who have been getting flu shots. Ashley notices that she's not looking too good...more
Patrick Nichol
This novel is so much fun, I can't begin to list all the things I liked about Dana Fredsti's new Ashley Parker franchise.
It's smart, witty and chock full of kick-ass action rivalling the best of the Zombie movies.
Of course, that's to be expected from an author who is also an actor that appeared in Army of Darkness. Take her protagonist, Ashley Parker or Ash for short. When the disaster hits, she's a wise-cracking college student with a boyfriend and a chip on her shoulder.
But when the Zombie Apo...more
Richard Hartman

Yet Another entry into the "zombie disease" genre has appeared, and it's good. "Plague Town" by Dana Fredsti.

Her writing style is breezy and fun when she is dealing with the main story,and the little vignettes between the chapters following the zombie family are suitably creepy. There are a ton of pop culture references in the text, which makes the book more believable for me. I hate the "sanitized" culture you find in many books where they have no common points of reference with you because th...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Dawn

I’ve never been a big fan of zombie books. They’re usually really gross and too detailed. For the most part, I steer clear of these type of books. That said I couldn’t put it down! It’s that good!

Initially I was wary of the changing points of view, but I found it helped ease me into the story and it broke up the intensity. Fredsti did a great job of being in a zombie’s head space to the point of being seriously creepy.

I like the premise of some peopl...more
Tonya
I'm waffling between 2 & 3 stars. I'll tell you why as succinctly and spoiler free-ish as possible.

I liked Ashley's understanding of the zombies right away & we didn't have to go through the whole "I don't understand, what are these things are that are dead, but alive?" She knew what a zombie was, great! She knew a lot of movie quotes, which was cute in the beginning but wears on you (or just me) throughout the rest of the book. I didn't like Ashley's 'smart mouth' for most of the book,...more
TheBookSmugglers
Originally Reviewed on The Book Smugglers: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2012/03/b...

Twenty-nine year old Ashley Parker has her life finally heading in the right direction. She’s busted out of an unhealthy marriage to a control freak of a husband and has decided to return to school to earn her undergraduate degree (so what if she’s older than everyone in her classes?). Ashley’s new lease on life also means that she’s happily taking classes in whatever field she wants (including a class on the hist...more
Elisa
Ew! This was gross and disgusting but strangly compelling and I couldn't stop reading it.

I am currently walking around work, checking corners, looking behind doors and fully imaging whether I would be able to elude zombies in the workplace. I have been infected by this story! Ashley Parker and her boyfriend are attacked during a romantic evening picnic in the woods near their college. Ashley survives, as she is curiously immune to the infection. She is a wild card.

She is recruited by the militar...more
Angel Erin
First off I got this book through the goodreads giveaway, and so happy I did!

"It's Buffy meets the Walking Dead in a rapid-fire zombie adventure!"

More like Buffy + Walking Dead + Anita Blake! I LOVED it! Plague Town jumps right into the action and never stops. A real page turner. I couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed the character of Ashley Parker, she reminded me of Anita Blake. Overall this book was superb. The writing was great, the plot was interesting and entertaining, and the character...more
Mark
Needing a book to fill a gap of time while I waited for my wife to finish Mockingjay, I took a trip to Barnes and Noble and Plague Town caught my eye.
What a great book, I was quickly pulled in to the story and characters. I love the way the story builds and flows, I love the humour from the characters, dark humour at times.
I found the book to be believable and the story had my heart pumping quite aa few times.
I cannot wait untill the next two books are relesed, I hope the wait is not too long?
I...more
Daffodil
4.5 stars. Definitely one of my favorite finds of the year.

I really enjoyed Fredsti's writing style. Ashley's sarcasm and attitude didn't bother me a bit, in fact she made me laugh more than a few times. The pacing moved the story along well and the suspense kept me reading way past my bed time. The occasional glimpses into the zombie POV were just icing on the cake.

This book was well worth the time and money spent and I'm already eagerly anticipating books 2 and 3.
Faye
Stunning, amazing, blooming loved this book.... Plenty of gore, zombies, a kick ass heroine, knives, guns, explosions and even conspiracies. Really can't wait for Plague Nation & Plague World. So glad I stumbled across this book on someone's 'to-read' list on the web.... Can highly recommend this book!!!!
Mindy
I really liked the team aspect of this book and that there was only one romantic interest at a time. Also loved the cats and the snowplow. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Suzy (ereaderuser)
Very fun book!!
Paradoxical
A mixture of horror, comedy, and action, Plague Town didn't quite do it for me. Mostly because of the comedy bits, which kept me shaking my head and mouthing really? to myself. I don't need doom and gloom inundating the books I read, but Ashley comes off a bit too flippant, a bit too much of a wise-ass for me to really become attached to her. It's just one sarcastic comment after the other with her and it gets old after a while.

The author drops pop culture references everywhere in the book, and...more
Paranormal Haven

I really enjoy zombie stories, so when asked abou...more
Sinn
Jan 28, 2013 Sinn rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
When I first picked this book up, the concept seemed neat and—for a zombie book—somewhat original. Unfortunately, after 350 pages, I didn’t find anything original in the book.

The prologue had me hooked! I loved seeing the zombie virus starting at such a small, intimate point. Something about that opening was extremely powerful and gripping. However, even with that amazing start, the book went downhill in a hurry. Looking back at it, the quote at the onset should have been a big clue into the res...more
Becky
Let’s start this off by I really don't like zombies, and by that I mean the whole genre tends to get to "squishy" for me, the sound effects in my head only increased by shows such as Walking Dead make me hesitant to read/watch any zombie items. My husband on the other hand loves the genre, to the point that Evil Dead had become a Christmas tradition for him and his family (ugh). Then I started watching Walking Dead, and learned the more "serious" side of zombie shows. This book when I signed up...more
Julie
Action, blood, gore, violence, hilarity and zombies. If you like any of those than this is the novel for you.

Plague Town is a new zombie series that grabs your attention from the very first chapter and keeps the pace going throughout. I read four pages and I was hooked.

The book is told through Ashley’s point of view but occasionally we get to see a zombie’s point of view or how someone is becoming infected. This is a way for us to see beyond Ashley to glimpse at what is happening as the virus is...more
BTS Book Club: Plague Town (June) 7 7 Jun 21, 2012 06:58PM
  • The Last Bastion of the Living
  • The Becoming (The Becoming, #1)
  • The Hungry (The Hungry #1)
  • Sadie Walker is Stranded (Zombie, #2)
  • Contagious (The Contagium #1)
  • Taking on the Dead (The Famished Trilogy, #1)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • The Savage Dead
  • The Return Man
  • Double Dead (Double Dead, #1)
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • Dead of Night
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • Rise Again (Rise Again #1)
  • After the End
Dana Fredsti is ex B-movie actress with a background in theatrical sword-fighting. Through seven plus years of volunteering at EFBC/FCC (Exotic Feline Breeding Facility/Feline Conservation Center), Dana's had a full-grown leopard sit on her feet, kissed by tigers, held baby jaguars and had her thumb sucked by an ocelot with nursing issues. She's addicted to bad movies and any book or film, good or...more
More about Dana Fredsti...
Plague Nation (Ashley Parker, #2) A Plague on All Houses (Ashley Drake, Zombie Hunter,#1) Plague World (Ashley Parker, #3) Murder for Hire: The Peruvian Pigeon A Man's Gotta Eat What a Man's Gotta Eat (EBK)