Unspoken (The MacLauchlans, #1)

Unspoken (Highland Historical #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  629 ratings  ·  79 reviews
He's cursed with eternal silence...

Roderick MacLauchlan is death for hire. Blessed by an ancient Deity with Berserker rage, he has the strength of ten men. Cursed by a malicious enemy, he's incapable of speech. A desperate clan war rages around him and a malevolent adversary lurks in the darkness, calling for blood.

Evelyn Woodhouse is an English refugee with a dangerous se...more
Published March 24th 2012 by N Ainge

To ask other readers questions about Unspoken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unspoken

Unwilling by Kerrigan ByrneUnspoken by Kerrigan ByrneUnwanted by Kerrigan ByrneDreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley ColeTo Tame A Highland Warrior by Karen Marie Moning
Romantic Berserkers
2nd out of 10 books — 37 voters
Dreamweaver by Tiffinie HelmerRising by Stephanie JudiceLure by Stephanie JenkinsAirborne by Constance SharperMundahlia by R.J. Gonzales
Best Indie Paranormal Covers-2011
6th out of 30 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Dalene
I thoroughly enjoyed this novella. This was well written. Not entirely comfortable with erotic romances, but having read a few, this book was not trashy. The author uses descriptive words that to me evoked a feeling rather than an entirely visual romance scene and did not overdo the details.

The premise of this story was great. Being a short story I thought many things would be rushed or left undone at the end, and this was so not the case. The set up with the scene in the beginning of the book a...more
Rachel ~ SnapDragoness
The first novella from The Highland Novella Trilogy about the MacLauchlan Berserkers.

This was a quick read, but...

Yeah, it was sexy. Kinda left me wanting more, but I knew it wasn't a full-length novel. This is perfect if you want a hot and fast historical paranormal romance.
Lori
From start to finish I was unable to put this down. The author has a way of describing her characters and scenes to where you feel like you are there. It was the first book I have read by Kerrigan and it definitely won't be my last. I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Unwilling.

Katie aka Ms. Phoenix
Roderick has been cursed and has lost his voice as a Beserker it isn't easy either. He is a mercanary and the night he goes in to battle he meets Evelyn.

Evelyn has certain powers and the battle will not go well tomorrow as a barmaid she manages to accuse the traitor and escapes barely with her life when Roderick saves her.

Far too short for my liking but a fantastic read. Will most certainly continue with the series.
Liz
I love a good historical romance, and this takes place in one of my favorite eras. I think the Celtic culture is fascinating, and I love reading about berserkers. Byrne does a great job writing passionate characters who tell a story through their love for each other.

My only complaint: I want more!
Julia's Book Haven
I really liked this book but it was so short. Just as I was really getting into it, it ended :( I wish it was longer. But other then that is was good. A really interesting story. Hopefully the next one will be a bit longer.
Tiffinie Helmer
I can't tell you how much I loved this story. It was sensual, and sweet, yet dangerous. Everything I love in a great book. I can't wait until the next one!
Nancy Steinle gummel
Unspoken: The MacLachlan's #1 by Kerrigan Burns is another short highland adventure. Evelyn is the taverns serving girl. This is the night before a great battle. Evelyn has foreseen the battle and sees a berserker getting killed. In the tavern comes Berserker Roderick MacLachlan. He can't speak. There is a curse on him. Evelyn is kind to him. Takes him his dinner and a pitcher of ale. Later as she serves the Mckay clan table they get fresh with her and try to force her sexually. Roderick comes t...more
Miranda
I've found a new favorite author!! Kerrigan Byrne has such a wonderful way of writing. Her characters simply jump off the page and keep you turning the pages.

This little novella is awesome. The only bad thing is that it's too short!

If you love Highlander books, this little jewel is for you. In fact, read her other Highlander books. You won't be sorry. ;)
Dianne
A Scottish hero, larger than life, a young English woman, now a barmaid in Scotland. He is a berserker who cannot/will not speak. She has 'the sight.' He comes to her rescue, when she is being harassed by drunken brutes. She saves him from himself and his curse. *Sigh*

What's not to love about this short tale? Maybe only that was short!

Wonderful adult romance!
Milena's Book Corner
This was a great book filed with sexy and emotional characters, yet with bloody battles, berserkers and ancient curses. The cake with the cherry on top! It grabbed me from the beginning and didn't let me go. This book does not disappoint and if your looking for a great read,then Unspoken is the tale for you.
H.K. Savage
So I got this book in one of those free books from Kindle emails. The tendency toward Highland romances is to be over the top on the bare chested and write dialect which is extremely hard to do well. However, I will read just about anything if the plot or characters are compelling and the description was promising so I thought I'd give this a try.
This author is very talented. She had me drawn into a great plot with characters who seemed like they were going to be deep and believable. But, then...more
Lee Anne - OMG! Spring is Finally Here!
This was a 3.5 star read for me so I rounded up!

This review can be seen on 9/4/12 at Romantic Historical Lovers

Unspoken is the first book in the Historical Highland series by Kerrigan Byrne and what a start it is! I was hooked into this story from the very beginning.

Evelyn ran from England and ended up a bar maid in Scotland. A war is being waged around her town and the warriors are in her tavern the night before a big battle. One of the warriors accosts Evelyn causing Roderick to come to her d...more
Amanda P
This was such a great novella, it only takes about an hour to read. I believe this book would probably fall under the category of erotica, but it didn’t feel like typical erotica, even without Roderick being able to speak there is still so much feeling involved. Evelyn is venerable, yet strong, always an enticing mix. She is compassionate that she wants to help a virtual stranger, but just can’t find the words. As she gives herself to Roderick it is a tender and touching moment, just as a first...more
Tanya
Here is where I admit that some history makes my eyes glaze right over, so this book sat on my Kindle (after being gotten free download) for over a year before I attempted it. The first few pages I thought I would hate it with different clans, who was fighting who, etc., etc. It just wasn't my thing, but it had good reviews so I wanted to read it. Plus, it was a novella, again not usually my thing but I figured I wouldn't be reading it long anyway so gave it a shot. I was paranormal style, which...more
Michala Tyann
Book Review:
Warning: This is a novella, not a novel. It’s total length is about 60 pages give or take a few.

I’ll admit I normally read the book blurb as well as others’ reviews before I go and decide to read a book. That doesn’t mean I won’t read it at all though. That was the case for this book. I saw a number of poor reviews; many citing extreme erotica and redundant sex scenes. They may have been talking about the trilogy as a whole or maybe not. Who knows. I do know that there were no expli...more
Megan
This was a free book offered by Amazon for the Kindle, so I thought I'd give it a try. I don't usually read romance novels, but this was a novella; a light introduction, I suppose.

This novella was actually a lot better than I expected. I thought there would be a lot of cheesy smut and the stereotypical lines associated with harlequins and the like, but it wasn't like that. Yes, there were sex scenes, but they were fairly decently written; I didn't find myself giggling like a school girl or anyth...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
May not be suitable for those under 18 years of age includes: sexual content.

Holy smokes I love me a highlander…In Unspoken we follow a English barmaid who has taken refuge in Scotland during a time of clan war. She’s quiet and thanks to her ability to see the future she keeps herself at a distance. That all changes when the silent Berserker named Roderick enters the bar and the war. He becomes her protector and they both find themselves wanting more. There isn’t a ton of depth to this but I lov...more
Jaded
3.5 Stars

Gah! I really love the story, and although I knew going in that it would be a quick read, I wanted a substantial ending. The book is well writ and the characters are great! Really wish it had more pages though.
Gayle

I really enjoyed this very short novella. It was very well written and I found few to no errors in grammar, spelling or punctuation.

In this first book, "Unspoken", Miss Byrne tells the story of our Hero, Roderick, a Berserker, and our Heroine, Evelyn, a Scottish Tavern Maid and how they meet and come together.

Although I would not consider this to be an erotic tale, it was sensual and descriptive, but not in a way that was trashy and left you with the feeling of the love between the H/h.

I did f...more
Tanya
What a great book! It was a perfect fit for my tastes. Historical setting, magic, supernatural element , pagan, goddess, war, and the unexpected meeting of a intended mate.

Evelyn is a English tavern waitress working in Scotland. She is laying low , she has the Sight and has been persecuted for it. Her sight enables her to see the future.
Roderick is a berserker. A supreme strong fighter blessed with the gift of a norse goddess to make him unstop able in battle.

They meet ... instant attraction...more
Lindsay
Kerrigan Byrne had me at a hero who's a Scottish Berserker. Done and done. This novella was intense and offered a fresh twist on paranormal abilities without a were-character. I read it in one sitting. I would have enjoyed a little more backstory, especially about why Roderick lost his voice, but given the length of the story, it unfolds near the end. A few missed proof-reading errors were bothersome given the Byrne's sophisticated diction. For example, "prone" means to lie face-down, but is use...more
Lance
This story of a mute hero in the Scottish Highland during the 15th century and the maid he not only saves but mates as well is an outstanding story of war, love and sex. Ms. Byrne describes all aspects of this tale well. The first meeting of the two is more of a shock to Roderick as he discovers Evelyn can communicate with him. When he has to protect her in his bedroom, it leads to him taking Evelyn's virginity and then her heart. The love scene was so moving it brought a tear to my eye...not a...more
Christine Brand
Love the Berserker

Such a great short read. It is addictive to reading this author's books. Always looking forward to the next one.
April   ♥"Lover of Stu" ♥
This novella was a quick but enjoyable read. I am looking forward to the rest of the series.
Kath
Truely a wonderfull love story. Set in the Highlands of Bonnie Scotland, this book had me enchanted from the first to last page.
Roderick MacLauchlan a feared berserker meets Evelyn working in a tavern. Evelyn a women with her own special abilities finds herself drawn to the very handsome berserker, after coming to her rescue fate steps in.
This was sensual, steamy and I loved it so much I would of like their story to of continued a little more.
This was the first book I have read from this author...more
Bahia
Not my usual style, as I rarely read the romance genre, but this was pretty good. Definitely competently written and the sex scenes seemed neither forced nor cheesy. The character backgrounds were intriguing enough that the characters were interesting. I did think it was an odd choice to have one chapter from the man's perspective and the rest from the woman's perspective, which seemed a little unbalanced. It's a really quick read and I will probably pick up the next two as I am interested in le...more
Terri
Not bad, pretty interesting...just to short for my tastes. Would really like to have seen this story a fully fleshed out novel, with more depth. Probably won't read the sequels for the same reason, just too short to allow for the character development, and plot devices that would make this one really good. I will say that if these were full length novels, I would have jumped on reading the sequels. This book endeavors to be a full story but took me just about 80 minutes to read. If your not put...more
Karen
Wow, this was a nice read.

Evelyn were running from her own fate and working in a tavern. Her breath stopped death as Roderick MacLauchlan steps into the tavern. She is forced to serve him, because everyone feared the berserker. Evelyn captures his attention and he saves her from brutal men. But still running from them she finds her refused in Roderick’s room, where she finds her heart. In her vision he dies the following day, can she save his life?

This was an excellent read, well written and it...more
Anyone else bothered by the plot? 3 21 Jul 01, 2013 04:29PM
  • Warrior of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #2)
  • My Brave Highlander
  • The Devil of Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair, #1)
  • Lady Danger (The Warrior Maids of Rivenloch, #1)
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • Wee William's Woman (Clan MacDougall, #3)
  • The Devil Wears Kilts (Scandalous Highlanders, #1)
  • Highland Song (The Highland Brides, #4.5)
  • Highlander Claimed (Clan Mackenzie, #1)
  • The Seasons Series
  • Sweet Pleasure
  • Forged in Dreams and Magick (Highland Legends, #1)
  • Celtic Shores (Celtic Steel, #2)
  • Lord of Devil Isle
  • Plaid to the Bone (Spirit of the Highlands, #0.5)
  • Love's Portrait
  • Say Yes to the Duke (House of Brady, #3)
If you're anything like me, the best night is one spent with a brawny highlander, a mysterious werewolf, a conflicted vampire, or a hot-headed Irishman. My stories span the spectrum of romantic fiction from historical, to paranormal, to romantic suspense. But I can always promise my readers one thing: memorable and sexy Celtic heroes who are guaranteed to heat your blood before they steal your hea...more
More about Kerrigan Byrne...
Unwilling (The MacLauchlans, #2) Unwanted (The MacLauchlans, #3) Unleashed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #1-3) (The MacLauchlan Berserkers, #1-3) Released (The MacKays #1) Redeemed (The MacKays #2)