Start by marking “Sir Thomas More” as Want to Read:
Sir Thomas More

Sir Thomas More

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A Play of an unknown date. Supposedly first written by Anthony Munday and Henry Chettle, then heavily revised by Thomas Heywood, William Shakespeare, and Thomas Dekker.
Published 2011 by Arden Shakespeare (first published 1592)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Thomas More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Thomas More

Joseph R.
While browsing through one of the Shakespeare bookstores in Stratford-upon-Avon this volume caught my eye. I had never heard that Shakespeare wrote a play on Thomas More. After looking through it at the store it was clear he hadn't written the entire play. He was one of about four other authors and he revised an already prepared text. Loving St. Thomas More as I do, I couldn't resist and bought the book.

The book is part of the Arden Shakespeare series, a scholarly series designed to support both
Sammy
A very good, thorough edition of this collaborative play from the 1600s, to which William Shakespeare contributed. The introduction does a good job of exploring both the play as a work, and also the complex situation that led to its creation. The main text has a battle on its hands, since it's a very rare example of a play found in manuscript form, so words are missing, scenes are divided between authors or occasionally between original and censored texts, and so on. Very thoroughly done. And th ...more
R. Kevin
For those who don't know, this is a collaborative work, to which Shakespeare only contributed a small amount. Much of the interest is scholarly, as we have the original manuscript in the various handwritings of the collaborators (and the censor), so this sheds considerable light on the nature of theatrical collaboration in Elizabethan theater. The value of this particular edition lies in the enormous introduction, extensive footnotes and numerous appendices.
Chris
Pretty good -- much more interesting than Henry 6 (all 3 Parts), although I don't know the history, and ignorance of More's fatal dispute definitely detracts.
Rose
I feel like I need to look at the history of the time and who the real Sir Thomas More was before I properly understand what's going on.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Well thank goodness someone could stop those stupid rioters!
England 2005.
Sarah Milner
Sarah Milner marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Caidyn
Caidyn marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Ishita Pandey
Ishita Pandey marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Alannysgreyjoy
Alannysgreyjoy marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Milena
Milena marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Samantha Schales
Samantha Schales marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Matt Dickson
Matt Dickson marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Anthony Munday (or Monday) (baptized 13 October 156 – 10 August 1633) was an English playwright and miscellaneous writer. The chief interest in Munday for the modern reader lies in his work as one of the chief predecessors of Shakespeare in English dramatic composition, as well as his writings on Robin Hood.
More about Anthony Munday...
The Downfall of Robert, Earl of Huntingdon, 1601 (1601) Anthony Munday's Zelauto: The Fountaine of Fame The First Part of Sir John Oldcastle: A Historical Drama by Michael Drayton, Anthony Munday, Richard Hathway and Robert Wilson The English Romayne Lyfe: Discovering The Lives Of The Englishmen At Roome Sir John Oldcastle