Start by marking “Only the Cat Saw” as Want to Read:
Only the Cat Saw

Only the Cat Saw

As Amy and her family get ready to settle down for the night, the cat gets ready to explore and sees many things.
Published September 1st 1996 by Walker Books (first published September 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Only the Cat Saw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only the Cat Saw

Kathryn
Jun 08, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love this little book!!! First and foremost because that very handsome, inquisitive and observant orange tabby cat reminds me so much of my beloved childhood cat--bib and all ;-) This is such a gentle, lovely story about a busy and loving family and their nighttime activities, like finishing dinner and getting ready for bed; they are so absorbed in one another and what they are doing that they don't notice many of the beautiful things happening outside, "only the cat saw." Some of the ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jul 10, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every child, particularly those who love cats, animals, books; readers looking for family stories
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Oh, I just love this charming picture book, heavy on pictures.

And what a lovely surprise. At my public library we can request books to be sent to the branch of our choice, so I’m always reading books from the main library and many branches, all sent to my branch. The copy of the book I received is from the Chinatown branch AND when I turned to the title page, it’s obvious the author-illustrator was there, probably reading to children. The book is autographed by the author “For the readers at the
Shelli
Jul 24, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet picture book with beautiful illustrations that show "what the cat saw" when everyone else was busy. A reminder to pause every now and again and enjoy the wonderful things going on around us that we might be missing.
Rosemarie
Jan 14, 2016 Rosemarie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I've been reading this to the kids before bedtime and I love this story for so many reasons:
It's about a cat and I do love cats
I love the story telling, my daughter already asks about "Amy"
I love the wordless pages so I can tell my own story describing what the cat saw, and I can have the kids pick out objects they see and tell me what the cat saw
I love any book that shows a mom nursing her baby
And I also love the illustrations and the fact they live on a farm and it's sort of idyllic, simple, a
Amy
Jan 04, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Abigail A.
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Pretty pictures and a nice story combine to make a soothingly hypnotic tale. The book synchs up nicely with kids' natural curiosity about their world, and mirrors their openness to all that's around them. My niece and nephew liked it, and they seemed to enjoy the cat's nighttime adventures. The book was well received, but I don't know that this will have much of a lasting impact on them. Honestly, though, not every story needs to make a lasting impression; sometimes simple fleeting ones are ...more
Jessie
Dec 17, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very sweet picture book which shows a family of four going about their busy evening. The cat is the only one observing what's happening outside. One nice surprise was a nice illustration of the mom nursing a baby in the nighttime--a rarity in picture books and would be a great way to introduce the concept of a new baby to a preschool aged child.
To sum up: I love Ashley Wolff and she can do no wrong.
C.
This is a book that I will definitely return to as my son gets a bit older. It is a very simple story moving from the end of the day (afternoon/early evening) through the night and into the next day. The text pages are followed by non-textual pages that invite children to engage with the illustrations and point out 'what the cat saw'. It seems to be out-of-print, but as I collect children's books centered around cats, I may look for a copy that I can purchase for our home.
jacky
This can be just a story or used as subtle baby prep. As a story, it tells about the activity in a family throughout the night. The cat sees many cool things that everyone else misses. Thee are shown without words on big two page illustrations. For baby prep, this book shows a family with a young baby, particularly a large illustration of mom breastfeeding in the middle of the night.
Ellen Ramsey
Sep 22, 2013 Ellen Ramsey rated it it was amazing
Throughout the evening and the night, everyone in the family was preoccupied (or asleep) so that "only the cat saw" many wondrous sights—the sunset, the lightning bugs, the owl and the mouse, the shooting star, the lightning, and the sunrise. But in the morning, when the cat is sound asleep, only Amy saw . . . A perfect picture book--I loved the illustrations and the surprise ending.
Natalie
Mar 29, 2010 Natalie rated it liked it
This has a beautiful tone and illustrations with deep color saturation, but I have no idea what it's about, whatsoever. Maybe it isn't about anything, and that's usually okay but I really don't get it and that doesn't happen a lot.
Traca
Jul 30, 2008 Traca rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
One of our favorite bedtime books! We love the pages without words - great way to make up a story about what the cat is doing in each picture.
Bree
Aug 08, 2014 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books, cats
Notes:
Wolff's art is gorgeous
family is settling in for bed but nocturnal kitty is not
peaceful story
Laurie Brown
Laurie Brown rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Audrey
Audrey rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2015
Rebekah Judd
Rebekah Judd rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Tasha Love
Tasha Love rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2010
Cherie
Cherie rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2011
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
May 12, 2008
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2012
Terri
Terri rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2010
ELRS
ELRS rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2014
K
K rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2009
Haley Dircks
Haley Dircks rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2015
Courtney Field
Courtney Field rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013