Start by marking “Taking Shots (Assassins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Taking Shots (Assassins, #1)

Taking Shots (Assassins #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  15,718 ratings  ·  1,222 reviews
Elli Fisher has never thought she was good enough, let it be her job, her weight, her love life, nothing. That is until she meets Shea Adler. After doing a promotional shoot for the NHL team, the Assassins, she meets the hunky hockey player who shoots a puck, shattering her world.
Shea Adler was tired of the life he was living outside of the rink. The girls, the money blowi
Nook
Published January 31st 2012 by Toni Aleo (first published October 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Taking Shots, please sign up.

Shruti Gupta Agreed..I personally liked the feel and characters of the book. But it was very evident that this whole series hasn't been edited properly. I would…moreAgreed..I personally liked the feel and characters of the book. But it was very evident that this whole series hasn't been edited properly. I would had enjoyed the book, but right now it seemed like a bit of drag. Shame so much potential. I keep hoping the series will become better with the next book ( The forever Optimistic that I am)! (less)

Toni Aleo
Aug 14, 2012 Toni Aleo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote it, so I think its awesome!
Karla

1 Star! I was bored to tears and so disappointed!

This story was all over the place and I couldn't stand Elli. I felt sorry for her at first, but then boy, was she ever annoying. Towards the end of the book, I felt like it was an endless loop of the same thing happening over and over again. Shea should have running screaming and left Elli to wallow in her self-pity and accusations...GAAAAAAHHH! For that matter he wasn't much better. Then what he does at the end...helloooo...anger management clas
Catarina
4,5 Hockey Stars

Elli is a photographer and a huge (and I mean HUGE) hockey fan. Her favorite team is the Assassins and her favorite player is Shea Adler. One day she meets him in a photo shoot and he is as much attracted to Elli as she is to him, and yes, you know where this is going.
But dating a hockey player isn’t quite easy: the timetables, the easy girls, the away games and the distance they involve…

description

But worse than that? Elli’s ghost from the past, her fears and insecurities that doesn’t le
Michelle [Helen Geek]
If I could give this fewer stars, I would.

The premise for this story is sound, although not original, but still, could have been good. Why wasn't it? An immature writing style by the author. Also, the author writes very insecure characters. You have a women who is very insecure about herself due to a bad relationship and a piss poor family dynamic. She is a huge hockey fan and becomes the team photographer where she meets "the" hockey player. He takes one look at her and falls immediately into L
Smitten's Book Blog

*happy sigh* Aaaah, what an adorable ending!

I really liked Taking Shots. If I have to be picky I'd say it was a little drawn out and there was no real drama until very near the end... it's quite long and there are a few mini dramas throughout but it all seems to be going a little too swimmingly and then you think you're almost done with the book and boom, Aleo throws it upside down!

Really good read though. Shea is just to die for! Ugh, this perfect book men are making it entirely impossible to
Nikki
This was the case of the “littles”

A little too long

A little too cheesy
description

A little too insecure heroine
description

A little too easy insta love
description

A little too crazy mama drama
description

A little too not my cuppa

Fini.
Ana
When I first read the summary of the book I was intrigued. Generally, I like reading sports romance, and the book received mostly good ratings. It stands to reason that I would like it, right? Wrong. I hated it. I'm going to try to explain my reasons calmly, but I doubt I'll pull it off.

Shae is a successful hockey player. He's handsome, rich, charming. True, he does have slight commitment issues, but the moment he sees Elli, he know she's different. He's used to skinny blond rink bunnies, and El
 ♥  Barb ♥
5 Gi-Normous stars for Mr. Gorgeous.... SHEA

“That’s NOT what drew me to YOU, it was your EYES...…and your ASS.”

"He has that SEXY smirk on his FACE, the one that made HER girlie parts SCREAM."

============================================

This is the FIRST book in the Assassins series. I didn't realize that until after i read the THIRD book. Ooops no big deal..hahaha!! This is the story of SHEA and ELLI. Shea is a professional hockey player for the Nashville Assassins. He is AMAZING, GORGEOUS,
Duchess Crystal
***5 STARS***

I Love Love LOVE this book!!

I love Shea and Elli so much that they have made it to my "Favorite H/h Couples List"

1.)Chace & Faye-Breathe by Kristen Ashley
2.)Tack & Tyra-Motorcycle Man by Kristen Ashley
3.)Shea & Elli-Taking Shots by Toni Aleo
4.)Caleb & Livvie-Captive in the Dark/Seduced in the Dark by CJ Roberts

Shea is such a sweetheart. He is captain of the Assassins, a hockey team in Nashville, TN. He is such a dork and the first time he is introduced I just LOL'd.
Crystal~BIG book addict~
Five Huge Gorgeous Shea Stars!!

I absolutely loved this book. Shea is the captain of the Assassins hockey team in Nashville. He meets Elli at a team photo shoot where she is the photographer. He gets her to do the photography at party of his and things start to progress from there.

I thought Shea and Elli were so sweet together. Elli has to get passed her weight issues (yes, she is a fill figured woman). She got sick at 19 with thyroid problems and gained a lot of weight. She is very self consciou
Alex

DNF at 30%. Too many "giggles", "you're" instead of "your" and vice-versa and other such errors. Also, it was exhausting and boring.
Jill

***I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review***

Horrible family members, a past illness and a crushing career disappointment has lead Ellie to believe she is not good enough. She has rebuilt her life but cannot help but still see herself as what she was. A pushover, fat and just totally ashamed of herself, even though none of these things were her fault.

Shea Adler, highly successful, sexy, hockey player sees Elli for who she is and likes what he sees. But can he convince her that
Christy
Elli is a 27 year old photographer and a huge hockey fan. The Assassin's are her favorite team. She goes to every single home game. Elli is self sufficient, even though her family is wealthy. She has been single for the last 6 years and overall, she is happy with her life. Elli and her assistant/bff Harper get a job taking some photos for the Assassins. There she meets her favorite hockey player. Shea Adler.

Oh Shea... Shea is the captain of the Assassin’s. He used to be a playboy, but he is chan
Margaret
So I'll start by saying that I do not recommend this book because there was a lot of POINTLESS drama. I would never have read this book if I had known that this was what it would be like! I love hockey and couldn't wait to read this book, but in the end I was very, very disappointed.... During the book I came to really dislike Elli and could not connect with her at all... She was an annoying heroine and I just I wanted to slap her for most of the book. The annoying heroine was a kind of disappoi ...more
Ann
Am a big fan of sports related romance so I liked the story, loved Shea, the Hero, the heroine, Elli...nah, not so much. Shea the sexy, sensitive, tattooed hockey player for the Assassins wears geek glasses is muscled, funny, sweet, jealous, possessive and totally in love with and devoted to Elli. And Shea’s absolutely adorable with his sister, Grace, and her family. Gotta tell ya, I'm a sucker for any story with a guy that's good with kids. Shea’s biggest flaw? Having the hots for Elli. It's mi ...more
Lindsay
I love romance novels with heroines of every shape and size, but I have a real soft spot for heroes that fall for the bigger girls. One of my favorite book/couples is Noah & Grace in Lori Foster’s Too Much Temptation. This book was an instant hit with me because Shea fell for a big girl and thought she was perfect.

I really enjoyed this book and the friendships that the characters had. With that said, there were some things that I didn’t enjoy or annoyed me. One was Ellie’s mom…she was just
Llaph | No Frill | No Shill
I seriously don’t get it. I don’t understand the gushing reviews…. I don’t take most 4 or 5 ratings seriously anymore. They all seem to be some sort of shill reviews to sell more books. I don’t know how many times I read a book that had mostly high reviews and it totally did not do it for me.
I actually started this series with book 2 on accident and found that out about 30% in before I switched to read this one. I was hoping that the aggravation that I got from the 2nd book was an anomaly and th
Shawna LeAnn
You can find this and other reviews on my blog: Dreaming In The Pages

------------------------------------------------------

I have been very fortunate lately when it comes to book recommendations and Taking Shots is no exception. Not knowing exactly what to expect when I stared, I was blown away by just about everything I read. It has been FOREVER since I read a contemporary romance that was so emotionally packed and had enough sexy action to keep those pages turning well past my bedtime. This bo
Debbie
Awesome book especially for a first time author!!!! I can not wait to read more!

The book flows very well, not a slow or dull moment with this cast of characters! I did not want to put my ereader down....and according to my husband I didn't.

I even looked up the Lady Antebellum song that is referenced, since I do not like or listen to country music (kind of a scary thing since we are moving to the Nashville area in a week!) The song was so fitting for Shea and Ellie!

Job well done Ms. Aleo! Keep
Lisa Jayne
Loved this book, love the characters the sport want to read it all over again could not put this down!! Sweet romance and great plot if you like books with heart and soul read this!
JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
What an awesome book. I am head over heals in love with Shea Adler. Love this book!!!
Sophia T. (♥ Dimitri Belikov)
“Oh, please! Like I care if I make you jealous!”

“You know you do!”

“You’re acting like an idiot!”

“Damn right, love does this to a person!”
Elli and Shea

Wow!!!Taking Shots was way different from the second book in the series Trying to Score.Wondering how I know that?Well,when I first saw the series I was more interested in reading the second than the first book and now I see how right I had been.Although there were times that I really liked the book I wanted to so much to kill Elli(she's so insecur
Amanda
I wanted to like this book, in fact, I wanted to love this book. I just couldn't do it.

I finished it, so this book is OK in my opinion, but I'm not rushing out to read the next one. The plot line of the book was similar to almost every other romance, which was fine. It was a good book with a solid romance plot line. I did love Shea as the main lead. He was a great character and the perfect hero in a romance novel. I loved Harper, Jakob, Grace, James, and the rest of the cast and even the villain
Beth
Elli Fisher doesn’t think she’s good enough. She lost her Broadway career and her fiancée when she suffered from a thyroid issue which caused her to gain a lot of weight. She has always been a huge Assassin Hockey fan but when she gets a chance to photograph the team for a promotional shoot she meets the man of her dreams, Shea Adler.

Shea Adler is a superior athlete and the captain of the Assassins. He has his pick of women but when he sets eyes on Elli Fisher something just clicks and he can’t
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Reviewed at http://toughcriticbookreviews.blogspo...

I almost didn't rate this book because I came down with a terrible case of indecision. Three-stars? Four? It's funny that the very issues that some reviewers had with this book were the very things that I loved; the length, Elli's never ending insecurities. It's all about perspective so here's mine...

First lets discuss Shea's the book's length ;-) Most defintely longer than the average book. I have to admit that while reading Taking Shots I had
Jacqueline's Reads
Mar 13, 2013 Jacqueline's Reads marked it as considering  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Mukadis
No matter how hard she tries, Eleanor Fisher never thinks she’s good enough, from her job to her weight to her love life. After enduring years of abuse at the hands of an ex-boyfriend, Elli has been drifting through life in a daze. Until, that is, she meets Shea Adler on a promotional shoot for the NHL’s Nashville Assassins. Before Elli knows what’s happening, the gorgeous Shea breaks the ice and shatters her world.

Sounds super cute!!!
Sammy ⭐️
I just loved this book.

Shea is the captain of the Assassins ice hockey team and Ellie is a photographer with some major insecurities.

You could feel the connection between the two of them very early on in the story and it was great to watch them fall in love. Shea would literally do anything for Ellie even memorise Pride and Prejudice for her which is so sweet.

The book was full laughter, drama and Love and I can't wait to read the whole series. :)
Wendy'sThoughts
A Pleasant read if you are a hockey fan... part of a franchise...
I liked the themes of understanding the "perfection of just who you are is perfect enough"... and believeing in one's self... and listening to others .... but there were times I wanted to shake the girl and get her to listen to the hockey player who loved her.
Erin
Apr 07, 2012 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fifty Shades fans!
Okay, so you know how sometimes you come across a book that really just puts you on a monstrous emotional roller coaster and leaves you breathless by the time you hit that last page? Well, this is definitely one of them!! Good lord, not since Fifty Shades has a book left the blood pulsing so fast while at the same time crushing my heart and then piecing it back together!! Whew!

Right off the bat, I knew I was going to love the sweet Elli. She is your everyday girl, with real insecurities, real se
Fram
Where to start, where to start......On the surface this book was a light romance that attempted to be witty and funny and serious and deep ("I have an illness" or "My family has issues--I have issues") all at the same time. It was also very, very long. Very long. Perhaps because the author had to cram in the importance of Shea's very large hands and Elli's teeny tiny hands in my face at least once a chapter. Or she had to remind us that we were in the deep south by adding a "hell's bells" and a ...more
How to pronounce Shea? 7 218 Apr 15, 2013 01:39AM
Bkue Line Pipers stor 1 35 Jan 27, 2013 05:46AM
Never Too Old For...: Author Interview with Toni Aleo! 9 55 Nov 25, 2012 09:44PM
Anticipation 7 61 Oct 03, 2012 01:38AM
  • One Man Advantage (Heller Brothers, #3)
  • Thin Ice
  • Taking a Shot (Play by Play, #3)
  • Sliding Home (Richmond Rogues, #4)
  • Hip Check (New York Blades #10)
  • Scored
  • The Game of Love
  • Home Ice
  • Wicked Game
  • The Enforcer (NHL Scorpions #1)
  • Happy Hour (Racing on the Edge, #1)
  • Out at Home
  • Line of Scrimmage
  • Body Check
My name is Toni Aleo!
I am a wife, mother, and hopeless romantic.
I have been told I have anger issues, but I think it's cause of my intense love for hockey!
I am the biggest Shea Weber fan ever, and can be found during hockey season with my nose pressed against the Bridgestone Arena's glass, watching my Nashville Predators play!
When my nose isn't pressed against the glass, I enjoy going to my husban
More about Toni Aleo...

Assassins (9 books)
  • Trying to Score (Assassins, #2)
  • Empty Net (Assassins, #3)
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #4)
  • Breaking Away (Assassins, #5)
  • Laces and Lace (Assassins, #6)
  • Wanting to Forget (Assassins, #6.6)
  • Overtime (Assassins, #7)
  • Rushing the Goal (Assassins, #8)
Blue Lines (Assassins, #4) Trying to Score (Assassins, #2) Empty Net (Assassins, #3) Falling for the Backup (Assassins, #3.5) Breaking Away (Assassins, #5)

“That’s not what drew me to you, it was your eyes…and your ass.” 71 likes
“Whoever thought up the phrase ‘Absence makes the heart grow founder’ was an idiot.
Absence makes a bitch go crazy.
-Elli, While Shea is Away”
68 likes