Start by marking “Oh No, George!” as Want to Read:
Oh No, George!

Oh No, George!

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,109 ratings  ·  194 reviews
Harris is off to do some shopping. "Will you be good, George?" he asks. George hopes he can. He really wants to ... but chocolate cake is just so very delicious and he does love to chase cat... What will George do now? Chris Haughton's distinctive artwork perfectly accompanies the innocent charm of affable George, a dog trying to be good with hilarious results!
Published February 1st 2012 by Walker Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Oh No, George!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh No, George!

Melissa
I like how in each "What will George do?" page, George looks just a little bit sketchier and a little bit more beleaguered. George's big-nosed person--and really the whole color palette & the style of the shapes of the objects on the page--make me think of the Pink Panther cartoons. This is really nicely paced for storytime, true-to-life about wrestling with temptation. LOVE the cliffhanger ending. Wish I still did a preschool storytime so we could talk about it together!
Richie Partington
Richie’s Picks: OH NO, GEORGE! by Chris Haughton, Candlewick, March 2012, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-5546-4

“’You know, Toad,’ said Frog, with his mouth full, ‘I think we should stop eating. We will soon be sick.’
“’You are right,’ said Toad. ‘Let us eat one last cookie, and then we will stop.’
“Frog and Toad ate one last cookie. There were many cookies left in the bowl.
“’Frog,’ said Toad, ‘let us eat one very last cookie, and then we will stop.’
“Frog and Toad ate one very last cookie.
“’We must stop ea
Kate Wells
We can all relate to the temptation of cake! This book follows the moral dilemma's of George the dog who 'hopes' he'll be good whilst his owner is out. George is confronted by many things that he loves doing but knows he shouldn't, especially if he is to keep his word that he'll be good. For example the vibrant orange and purple illustrations show George looking at a cake, "I said I'd be good, George thinks, but I LOVE cake.' The book then asks us, 'What will George do?' which is a brilliant opp ...more
Clare Neale
We read Oh No George by Chris Haughton in a PGCE English lesson and we all loved the rhythmic writing and the repetition used in the story. It was a really fun read that I hope I can enjoy reading to my own KS1 class.

The book tells the story of a dog named George who continually disobeys his owner Harris who asked him to be good before he left him on his own for the day. Seeing cake in the kitchen, ‘George thinks, but I LOVE cake. What will George do?’ Inevitably George consumes the entire cake
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
This book at first appears to be a simple story of a dog being left at home, but it is so much more than that as the reader gets pulled into George’s emotions of excitement, deliberation, naughtiness, and remorse. A great way to teach kids about temptation but also forgiveness. Harry forgives George when he makes a mess at home, which I thought was very sweet; a lesson I need to be reminded of from time to time.

There are three temptations in the book a cake, cat, and flowers which each appear tw
Amber
Dogs do not really want to misbehave - they just have less willpower than their human owners!

But really, is George to blame when Harry left the scrumptious looking cake on the table, just within reach? Is George to blame for his downward spiral after that, giving into his every whim and temptation when his resolve was so broken down with that cake in front of his face?

I enjoyed this book very much. The colors are popping and the story is cute and applicable to all dog owners and lovers. How many
Big Book Little Book
Alison for www.bigbooklittlebook.com

I love this book! I really wish that it had been around when my son was a bit younger. He is a typical boy, who gets into lots of mischief, but deep down really wants to behave and this would have been the perfect book to introduce a discussion into those contrasting feelings to him.

The pictures should really appeal to young ones. Very simple and based around bight oranges and reds they are eye catching and give you lots to talk about without being too distrac
Paul  Hankins
An otherwise good dog is challenged by temptations when his friend, Harry, goes out for a bit. But who can resist cake, dirt, or the cat?

I like the understated illustrations in this one that give the book a I WANT MY HAT BACK meets PETE THE CAT meets No, DAVID! that is rendered like one really, really talented with the old paint programs we used to use when bored with the computer (before the internet, kids).

I ran this one by Maddie (9) who chuckled at the voices we used, but she also liked som
Dolly
Sep 19, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets, humor
We recently read Little Owl Lost by this author and saw that he had a new book out. We loved the dog on the cover and just had to borrow it from our local library.

This tale is funny, repetitive and in the case of many dogs, all-too true. We really enjoyed reading this book together and we liked it even more than Little Owl Lost. The illustrations are very orange-y, but they are very fun and expressive. Our girls joined in on the refrain of "Oh no, George!" with a lot of enthusiasm. I think this
Sara Grochowski
Very fun in board book form! Loved the illustrations, especially the expressions from George and others.
Christian West
Mmm cake. George the dog has been left alone at home, will he succumb to temptation? Very cute story.
James Wallis
Normally I demand that books have an ending. It's kind of fundamental: beginning; middle; end. If a story is missing one of those I get upset. Yet Oh No, George! has no ending, in fact it kind of depends on the fact it has no ending, and I commend it to you without reservation. It is delightful for the tinies and delightful for the grown-ups, and its charm does not diminish on repeated readings which is vital in a kids' book.

Along with 'I Want My Hat Back', this is the book we'll be giving as b
Stacie
Author: Chris Haughton
Illustrator: Chris Haughton
Title: Oh No, George!
Plot: "George is a dog with all the best intentions. And his owner, Harry, has all the best hopes that George will be a well-behaved dog when he leaves him alone for the day. But when George spies a delicious cake sitting on the kitchen table, his resolve starts to waver. You see, George loves cake. . . . Uh-oh. What to do now? It’s so hard to be a good dog when there are cats to chase and flowers to dig up! What ever will Har
Galleane
Cet album est celui que j'aime le moins. C'est en grande partie dû à la fin qui ne m'a pas fait sourire, au contraire de celle des deux autres albums que j'ai pu lire de l'auteur.

Le maître de George est de sortie et il lui demande de rester sage, sauf que bien sûr il va faire tout le contraire. Quand son maître rentre, il se fait évidemment gronder. Le maître assez gentil lui pardonne facilement et lui propose une promenade. C'est l'occasion pour George de se racheter.

On peut rire des bêtises d
Michael Dollan
I loved this book. It is stylistically and quirkily illustrated book with a very fun, simple story and a positive moral message.

The words and layout suggest it would be good for early readers, but the engaging images mean that it would also be a great book to read to or with children, before they themselves can read independently.

'Oh no, George!' has two characters - Harris is a young boy who is going out and leaving George the dog alone in the house.
"Will you be good George?" asks Harris.
"Ye
Mary
LOVE the illustrations and the story is wonderful. I feel like the author got inside a dog's head - George WANTS to be good, HOPES to be good, but in the end, doing the thing he loves wins out. Or does it? I like that the story has a completely open ending. The teachers for the class I read it to thought it would be a great story extension - the kids can write/draw their own endings! DID George get into the trash? Or was he good?
Forrrr
The life of a dog is a complex one, Oh No George follows Harry and his dog George while Harry is out doing errands. Asking George to behave, he does everything he can, as only a dog knows how. Suspense in every decision from as the reader wonders “What will George Do?” In a dogs everyday life. Chris Haughton writes and illustrates a story both believable and visually pleasing for the eyes.
Oh No George is a wonderful story for any family’s time reading. Chris Haughton makes it hilariously funny,
Christen Tulli
Category: Virginia Readers' Choice- Primary- 2013 to 2014

Publication date: 2013

Annotation is posted above via GoodReads

Themes: Behavior, Humor, Making Good Choices, Temptation

Ways to Use Book:

* As you read the book out loud, ask students for their predictions of what George will do next! Do they think he will avoid trouble? Are they eagerly anticipating his next misdeed?

* Ask students to share their own pets' misbehavior as a think-pair-share activity.

* Discuss ways that the students can avoid
Shawn Thrasher
Charmingly and humorously characterizes what its like to have a dog in your life. Haughton's story is sweetly funny, and the illustrations do the trick in capturing the dog George, particularly the eyes. There was an audible "awwwww" moment for me at one point. This definitely has interactive read-aloud-ability. Although I will quibble a bit - this was almost but not quite like Bark, George, enough to make me go "hmmmmmm..." I don't think that detracted from the book's charm necessarily, but if ...more
Kelly
SO CUTE! I love this book. It's like what happens before a dog shaming. Also a reminder that dogs don't mean to be bad. At least not most dogs.
Natalie
This is a realistic story in that sometimes you're good.. and sometimes not so much. I think children can identify with that struggle.
Neeyor Bose
Some times a dog just can't be good! I can relate...
Heather
Definitely using this in storytime!
Danielle
Short and Sweet: A marvelous story about a very lovable dog trying to make the right choices. Perfect for teaching kiddos how to avoid temptation all while keeping them entertained with brilliant illustrations and a hilarious story.

Full Review Originally Posted at There's A Book: When temptation strikes the unassuming yet lovable dog George what’s he to do? With every intention of making the right choices and pleasing his very loving owner George still can’t seem to help himself. Because who cou
Karen Arendt
Who can resist a dog who wants to be good but somehow manages to fall just a little short? George's owner is going out and reminds George to be good. George knows he can do it, but then there is the cake, and the cat, and more temptations. What makes this story so great is that the kids will want to say "Oh no George!" each time George is faced with temptations. I saw this book at the bookstore just after reading Shh, we have a plan, which is also a fun story to read aloud.
babyhippoface
George reminds me of my dogs. (He probably reminds everybody of their dogs.) When his boy, Harry, goes out, George plans to be good. But fate works against him as he finds a cake, a cat, and more just waiting to tempt him. Will he be good??

Haven't read this to kids yet, but I think they'll get into yelling "Oh no, George!" and will like the open-ended last page. What do they think George will do??
Maddypictures
George promises to be good. He HOPES to be good. But when left on his own, and presented with irresistable (to dogs, that is) opportunities like eating a whole cake, chasing the cat or having a lovely dig in the dirt, he just can't help himself! When his friend Harry returns, George apologizes and turns over a new leaf. A much improved George resists -- up until the very open-ended ending. "There's nothing George likes more than digging in the trash. What will George do? George?"

This was a hit a
Becky
Harry, George's owner, is going out. George promises to be good, but right away George thinks "I'll try," instead of "I will." This leads to disaster as George eats the cake, chases the cat, and digs in the flower box. When Harry comes home, he expresses his disappointment to George and cleans up. George feels guilty and offers his favorite toy. Harry refuses and suggests they go for a walk. On the walk, George runs into his temptations again. This time he is able to overcome them. Will he also ...more
Stephanie Croaning
The illustrations in this book are very bold and simple, but are perfect for the story of George, the dog with very little will-power. He really means to do the right thing, but .... there's cake! Anyone who has ever had a dog can understand George and his shenanigans. This is a fun, visually interesting story!
Charlotte
We loved Shhh I have a plan, so thought this would be just as good. Artwork is lovely but the story doesn't flow quite as well as the other book we enjoyed. Shhhh is a keeper, this one great to read at the library but would't be likely to become a firm favourite with my wee boy.
  • Oh, No!
  • Chloe
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Black Dog
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Homer
  • Brief Thief
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Dog in Charge
  • A Home for Bird
  • Small Bunny's Blue Blanket
Chris Haughton is an Irish illustrator and author living in London. He was listed in Time magazine's 'DESIGN 100' for the work he has been doing forfair trade clothing companyPeople Tree. His debut book 'A Bit Lost' was first published in English in September 2010. It has been translated into 15 languages and won 9 awards in 7 countries including the Dutch Picturebook of the Year.
'Oh No George' ca
More about Chris Haughton...
Little Owl Lost Shh! We Have a Plan