Start by marking “Isabel: Taking Wing” as Want to Read:
Isabel: Taking Wing

Isabel: Taking Wing (Girls of Many Lands)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,126 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
London, 1592

Girls must always be good and stay at home. But when you are a boy, the whole world can be your home. Men build houses and ships and sail off to discover strange new lands. But women must stay indoors, sewing stitches so fine that no one will ever see them. Our work is only visible if we do it badly. Aunt Elinor says I must be ladylike, like Sabine. But I will
Published September 1st 2002 by American Girl

Megan
Kelly Kitka
Nov 13, 2016 Kelly Kitka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid, this was the first book that ever made me genuinely cry. I remember running to my mother and telling her how great this book was and reread the last sentence out loud which made me tear up again. I never ever want to live during a time or experience a widespread plague. SO scary!
Sarah Crawford
Jan 29, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is about a girl in 1592 London named Isabel, sort of a tomboyish girl who does not fit her father's image of a "proper" girl. She makes friends with a servant (a definite no-no), and even has the audacity to watch a play at the theater.

In response, her father sends her away to stay with an aunt for a while to learn how to behave in a proper manner. Along the way she ends up in a situation with robbers, is rescued, then has to disguise herself as a boy to join a group of theatrical pe
Katy
Feb 01, 2016 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I like how it goes from Christmas to spring to summer to the time of the fever. I love the adventure Isabel takes to get to her aunt's house. Although, she did have to go through a lot of trouble on that journey. The servant that was taking her to her aunt's dies and she finds a frind from town who is going the same place she is and she has to pretend to be a boy to go with him and his group. This isn't the only thing the book is about. I love the friendship that Meg and Isabel ...more
Tarissa
Jan 08, 2013 Tarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one knows it more than Isabel Campion that life is not very thrilling for a young girl living in London, England in 1592. Leaving her frustrations at home, she finally decides to make her own adventure, even though she knows it's risky. However, taking that risk just might be the beginning of the change of pace she was looking for. Her dreams just might be in reach.

The author did an excellent job of incorporating just enough facts about the time period, and about their daily lifestyle, that t
Molly
Dec 17, 2011 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isabel is a very imaginative girl, who longs for adventure, but has no idea what "finding adventure" altogether entails. In her story Isabel learns, bravery, courage, hardwork, and by the end of the novel is learning how to be a lady.
I personally don't understand the mindset present in the time period of always having to obey the rules, when it's proven that most of the good things in this book happen when Isabel defys the rules, (although usually she is forced to do it by the circumstances).
A
Leilani
Jan 30, 2009 Leilani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Girl who lives in england and her mom had died when she was little, and her sister had been teribly sick, she meets a servant and plays with her, then she has to be sent to her aunt beacuse her dad is running low on money and her poor little sister is so sick plus she made a bad choice... on her way 2 her Aunts she falls of her horse and gets lost missing her little sister not knowing if she is still alive! THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREAT!
Rosa
Dec 16, 2008 Rosa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isabel is a girl who lives in the 1500's in Europe. She must be living like the proper girl she is expected to live like; following all rules and staying at home helping around the house. Though she doesn't like it, she dreams of going out onto the world and exploring. One day she goes sneeks out and comes back late at night all wet. This forces her father to send her away to live with her aunt to help her with her patients.
Sydney
Jan 04, 2014 Sydney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a great book, but I though that Cecile: Gates of Gold was much better. There was just something about the writing style, and the way things flowed in this book that was different. otherwise I really enjoyed this book.
Janet
Sep 22, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was very uplifting and a very good read. Any young girl would like this book.{Or young at heart} It was refreshing and a great change from the other books that I have been reading. I loved the time period it was set in Old London 1800's. Isabel was a great charactor. I will check into other books by Annie Dalton.
Kaetlyn
Jun 23, 2015 Kaetlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Joanna
Apr 07, 2008 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite among this series and I highly recomend it. It has been a while since I have read it but I remember really liking it and that it was a very powerful if not a little sad but amazing.
Nancy
May 12, 2016 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cultures, series
London, 1592, plague, wealthy class, role of girls and expectations of them are topics in this story.
Ashwise
Jul 31, 2014 Ashwise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-read-again
It was an ok story about the usual being a lady is bad and so is having proper manners and it's better to be free....geez I'm already sick of this genre....
Vidula
Just read this for a historical fiction - it wasn't that great of a book. At least it wasn't terrible...
Meghan
Mar 15, 2014 Meghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-girl
Tudor isn't one of my favorite periods but I enjoyed the story. At first I was concerned that it would go much more into hawking, which I find dull, but the plot ended in a way that I liked.
Mary Bronson
I thought this book was interesting. I really enjoyed reading this book. Isabel is such a great main character. It was a great quick read. Now I want to read more from this series
Jenna
Aug 15, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book! It takes place in England and about a young girls life and such....Highly recommended by me.
Lucy
Aug 05, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and really transports you back in time. The author includes many little details that makes it real. 4 1/2 stars
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 62886 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 5.9 - AR Pts: 5.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Jayne
Jan 18, 2009 Jayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: face-books
Not as good and interesting as Cecile: Gates of Gold, but it's still interesting. But I read it so long ago, that I don't remember what it's about...
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Queendemi
Queendemi rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2008
Meg Severance
Meg Severance rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Alexis
Alexis rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2015
Phoebe
Phoebe rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
  • Cecile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands, France)
  • Spring Pearl: The Last Flower (Girls of Many Lands, China)
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip
  • Minuk: Ashes in the Pathway
  • Neela: Victory Song
  • Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Girls of Many Lands, Ethiopia)
  • Under Copp's Hill (American Girl History Mysteries, #8)
  • Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12)
  • Gangsters at the Grand Atlantic (American Girl History Mysteries, #20)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • Secrets on 26th Street (American Girl History Mysteries, #5)
  • Mystery at Chilkoot Pass (American Girl History Mysteries, #17)
  • Betrayal at Cross Creek (American Girl History Mysteries, #22)
  • Shadows in the Glasshouse (American Girl History Mysteries, #10)
  • Really Truly Ruthie (American Girls: Kit)
  • Addy's Wedding Quilt
Dalton grew up as an only child in the English countryside during the 1950s. Her father was not always around, but when he was, he would tell her fantastical stories, often with her as the principal character. Her father left the family for good. Dalton missed him and his stories, which led her to the fantasy section at her local library, thus sparking life-long love of fiction.

After undertaking j
More about Annie Dalton...

Girls of Many Lands (8 books)
  • Cecile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands, France)
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip
  • Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Girls of Many Lands, Ethiopia)
  • Spring Pearl: The Last Flower (Girls of Many Lands, China)
  • Minuk: Ashes in the Pathway