Start by marking “The Theory of Games” as Want to Read:
The Theory of Games

The Theory of Games

Jakob Grant, formerly a top-selling computer game designer, is now down on his luck and barely hanging on teaching at an exclusive private college. His best friend is a 135-pound Rottweiler-German Shepherd dog named Bill who has been implanted with the CardioTronic 413 pacemaker (the ‘Dick Cheney' model). When Jakob is fired from his teaching position he reluctantly accept ...more
Published April 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Theory of Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Theory of Games

Sharon Michael
Apr 07, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-mystery
Got this book after reading the sample and synopsis and it was the dog that caught my interest. It really should not have worked for me except for that, but it did. A strong four stars for the story and the 5th star for the dog.

Not quite sure how to categorize it, some mystery, a lot of high tech, a touch of espionage/homeland security, great characters and a wonderful dog. The format was different and shouldn't have worked, much of the storyline was told while the main character being interroga
Jim Crocker
Apr 13, 2012 Jim Crocker rated it it was amazing
Follow Jake and his best buddy, Bill, on a trip down the rabbit hole, in search of a real-life Boogieman. Right from the start, Jake and Bill are in big trouble. Then things become worse for them. Buckle up for a thrill ride into the depths.

Ezra Sidran weaves a spellbinding tale of intrigue and suspense. Once you’ve seen the world through his eyes, it will never look the same again.
Mark
Feb 02, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it
Picked this up about 2 years ago & feel a bit guilty about not reading it sooner.
Very enjoyable fast paced read that was well written.
Nothing like a bit of humor thrown in with a thriller.
I admit I skimmed through some of the programming stuff, but it sure as heck didn't hurt the story any.
Susan
Sep 07, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
It's hard to get a five star review out of me but if any book deserves it, this is it. Much of the credit goes to an intelligent, offbeat writing style which I found almost as charming as the hero's best friend, Bill the beer-drinking, pretty girl-loving, smart and loyal dog.

I should have been confused by the narration of this story which was for the most part accomplished as part of an interrogation with an unknown party who was holding the hero prisoner. Huh? See; I can't even explain this ade
Mike
Jun 16, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Generally speaking, this was a well-written book with a refreshingly different approach. The tale flows at an adequate pace and often raises a wry smile - Lewis & Clark as US radio personalities! The reasons this doesn't get five stars are: the ending didn't match up to the quality of the beginning, which promised more than the routine dramatic wrap up; there was a shade too much lecturing, particularly in the music chord detail, doggie items, and a bit of the programming; and the reason Jak ...more
Raquel
Dec 27, 2013 Raquel rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic! I was immediately drawn into the story. The setup is great. I have to admit, part of me zealous joy from this book was all the coding jokes and references. I think it would read very well for someone who isn't a programmer, but for those of is who are, hellz yeah.

The mystery and adventure in this was great. The pace was really nice and the story was engrossing. The ending was excellently done. Basically, I loved everything about this.

I can't believe there wasn't an All Your B
Ted Mathews
Dec 17, 2015 Ted Mathews rated it really liked it
Unique

A new approach to telling the story. At first, it threw me off and almost caused me to give up. But, I held on, and began to see the plot.

I'm glad that I did hang in there, as the overall effect worked out - a good story emerged from the tangled approach.

I will try to find another story by this author, to see if this was a fluke.

Ted
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Dule
Dule rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Patricia Phibbs
Patricia Phibbs rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2015
Michael Picco
Michael Picco rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
Leila  I.
Leila I. rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Jdmays
Jdmays rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
Tina Smith
Tina Smith rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Murray
Murray rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Bob Graham
Bob Graham rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2015
Scot
Scot rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Anil
Anil rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Virginia
Virginia rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Timothy Evavold
Timothy Evavold rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
marc
marc rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
TC
TC rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Jim Sharp
Jim Sharp rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Rob Linxweiler
Rob Linxweiler rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Han
Han rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2015
T
T rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Simona
Simona rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
D. Ezra Sidran was awarded a doctorate in computer science from the University of Iowa in 2009. Previously he designed and created numerous computer games including Designasaurus (Educational Game of the Year) and UMS: The Universal Military Simulator, UMS II: Nations at War (named Wargame of the Year) and The War College.

The author has also taught computer game design classes at a private colleg
More about Ezra Sidran...