The Theory of Games

The Theory of Games

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Jakob Grant, formerly a top-selling computer game designer, is now down on his luck and barely hanging on teaching at an exclusive private college. His best friend is a 135-pound Rottweiler-German Shepherd dog named Bill who has been implanted with the CardioTronic 413 pacemaker (the ‘Dick Cheney' model). When Jakob is fired from his teaching position he reluctantly accept...more
Published April 2012

Sharon Michael
Got this book after reading the sample and synopsis and it was the dog that caught my interest. It really should not have worked for me except for that, but it did. A strong four stars for the story and the 5th star for the dog.

Not quite sure how to categorize it, some mystery, a lot of high tech, a touch of espionage/homeland security, great characters and a wonderful dog. The format was different and shouldn't have worked, much of the storyline was told while the main character being interroga...more
Jim Crocker
Follow Jake and his best buddy, Bill, on a trip down the rabbit hole, in search of a real-life Boogieman. Right from the start, Jake and Bill are in big trouble. Then things become worse for them. Buckle up for a thrill ride into the depths.

Ezra Sidran weaves a spellbinding tale of intrigue and suspense. Once you’ve seen the world through his eyes, it will never look the same again.
Susan
It's hard to get a five star review out of me but if any book deserves it, this is it. Much of the credit goes to an intelligent, offbeat writing style which I found almost as charming as the hero's best friend, Bill the beer-drinking, pretty girl-loving, smart and loyal dog.

I should have been confused by the narration of this story which was for the most part accomplished as part of an interrogation with an unknown party who was holding the hero prisoner. Huh? See; I can't even explain this ade...more
Mike
Generally speaking, this was a well-written book with a refreshingly different approach. The tale flows at an adequate pace and often raises a wry smile - Lewis & Clark as US radio personalities! The reasons this doesn't get five stars are: the ending didn't match up to the quality of the beginning, which promised more than the routine dramatic wrap up; there was a shade too much lecturing, particularly in the music chord detail, doggie items, and a bit of the programming; and the reason Jak...more
Raquel
This was fantastic! I was immediately drawn into the story. The setup is great. I have to admit, part of me zealous joy from this book was all the coding jokes and references. I think it would read very well for someone who isn't a programmer, but for those of is who are, hellz yeah.

The mystery and adventure in this was great. The pace was really nice and the story was engrossing. The ending was excellently done. Basically, I loved everything about this.

I can't believe there wasn't an All Your B...more
Ken
Dec 07, 2013 Ken added it
False
Tammy Hanson
Tammy Hanson marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Kenneth
Kenneth marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
J.M.
J.M. marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Filly
Filly marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Christina Urban
Christina Urban marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Dwayne Keller
Dwayne Keller marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Davidjohnson
Davidjohnson marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
David Caldwell
David Caldwell marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Cyndi
Cyndi added it
Jan 11, 2014
Mscout
Mscout marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Liis
Liis marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Waunaknit
Waunaknit marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Elagabal
Elagabal marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
D. Ezra Sidran was awarded a doctorate in computer science from the University of Iowa in 2009. Previously he designed and created numerous computer games including Designasaurus (Educational Game of the Year) and UMS: The Universal Military Simulator, UMS II: Nations at War (named Wargame of the Year) and The War College.

The author has also taught computer game design classes at a private colleg...more
More about Ezra Sidran...