Start by marking “Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics” as Want to Read:
Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics

Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics

After she accidentally adopted a calico cat that turned out to be a male, Laura Gould was seized by curiosity. For there to be no male calicos at all would be understandable - it was their extreme rarity that was the puzzle. Gould, an expert in linguistics with no previous training in genetics, decided to learn how this could be. Her researches took her through the great d ...more
Published August 29th 1996 by Copernicus Books (first published August 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cats Are Not Peas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cats Are Not Peas

Nancy
Aug 30, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it
The author, Laura Gould, has a male calico cat named George. She knows this is rare because the color genes are sex-linked, so she sets out on her research into male calicos, including paying a lab to map George's karyotype. She provides a nice review of Mendelian genetics--perhaps we learned it in high school then promptly forgot it. But it is not just a study of cat genetics; the science is made more memorable and appealing by being part of the saga of her research and her life with George and ...more
Sandy
Aug 27, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing
good book and easy to read
Tal
Mar 23, 2016 Tal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-books, other
George, a male calico, was a genetic anomaly, a manifestation of something that isn't supposed to happen, a creature so rare that even most veterinarians have never seen one. His curious existence sparked Laura Gould's long search through the archives of genetics to unearth the charming and valiant roles played by early cat geneticists, as well as cats themselves, in the study of genes and how they work. For everyone with an interest in cats and cat breeding, this is an unforgettable and often h ...more
Niffer
Jan 09, 2017 Niffer rated it liked it
I had to keep reminding myself as I read this book that it was published in 1996 because as I was reading it I was constantly thinking, "Why is this a book? Why is this not a series of blog posts?"

This book is a curious mix of trying not to go too in depth into genetics (don't want to scare off the science folks), trying to discuss genetics enough so that the science folks will be satisfied, trying to tell funny stories about what the author's cats are doing, and trying to fill an entire book wi
Athena Bingham
Aug 05, 2013 Athena Bingham rated it it was ok
Much more basic book than I had been led to believe. I learned all the things this book taught me in high school. It is also weirdly organized, not charmingly arranged as some people seem to feel. There are some cute stories but this has added nothing to my understanding of cat genetics-and I am a layperson. I gave up halfway through because I was learning nothing new.

Side note: There is a long section (spanning multiple chapters) that is nigh on sycophantic over Mendel, while snidely but subtly
Laura Cushing
Aug 05, 2012 Laura Cushing rated it really liked it
A hard to find book! I had to order a copy on Half.com because it is apparently out of print, and Amazon wants a small fortune for theirs. There's also no copy at the library, which is a shame as it's a very interesting book.

I was curious about what made my cats the colors they are- one is a tortoiseshell female, and the other is a orange tabby male. This book takes the case of the author's cat George - a rare calico male - and follows the author's exploration of what genetics made him that way.
Charlie
The author uses her caleco tom cat (an extremely rare animal) as a starting position for a study of the genetics of inheritance, its history and study.

I really liked the interspersion of everyday life snippets and cameos of her cat George. The day to day diary moments provide light entertainment and break up the serious science enough to counter the potentially dry subject to make a very readable book.

It is a good entry book for anyone interested in the subject, though she does get a bit tangled
Jonah
Feb 20, 2013 Jonah rated it it was amazing
Genetics thrills me, for no really good reason. A lot of the books that I read about genetics are really sad because they are about families with genetic disorders . So reading Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics by Laura Gould was really nice. The author writes about cat genetics because she had a male calico cat. I will not spoil it for you by telling you how that happened.

This is also the only book I've read that really really talked about mosaic genotypes (not counting barr body
Angela
Sep 14, 2007 Angela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes cats and also wants to learn about genetics
Shelves: science, cats
This is a book about genetics, from the point of view of a cat owner and her rare male calico cat. As the author unravels the mystery of her male calico, the reader learns about the history and science of genetics.

This book is perfect for anyone looking for a beginners approach to genetics and who also likes cats! It's out of print, but very entertaining and worth tracking down.
Trinity
The whiplash between deep whimsy and in - depth science finally proved too much for me. The book's organization also fought against progression. Perhaps another time, but for now the will to continue reading this has left me.
Linn
May 12, 2012 Linn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-own, ian
I borrowed this book through our library's Interlibrary Loan system and it was worth the wait. A fantastic, entertaining jaunt through the genetics that make up feline coloration, it gave me new appreciation for our own long-haired calico and a greater fondness for all of the color.
May 22, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it
This reads like a book adapted from blog postings, in that it's amateurly written, meandering and dull. Also, for someone who claims to be an outstanding researcher, she has a poor eye for detail (e.g., referencing Beverly Cleary's character Ramona Beasley?).
Nicole
Jan 10, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Excellent review of the genetics and the history of the science coupled with the personality of the calico tom.
Myra
Myra rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2013
Jenn Hi
Jenn Hi rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2011
andrea
andrea rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2008
Max
Max rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2010
Linda Shaver
Linda Shaver rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Danigerous
Danigerous rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Lori Jones
Lori Jones rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2009
Caterina
Caterina rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
R2-N2
R2-N2 rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Tim Poston
Tim Poston rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Stevie Reads-ie
Stevie Reads-ie rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Travis Webber
Travis Webber rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2017
miracle
miracle rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Tiger in the House: A Cultural History of the Cat
  • The Tribe of Tiger: Cats and Their Culture
  • Poisons: From Hemlock to Botox to the Killer Bean of Calabar
  • The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats
  • The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats
  • How to Mellify a Corpse: and Other Human Stories of Ancient Science and Superstition
  • Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life
  • Opium: A History
  • New Guinea Tapeworms and Jewish Grandmothers: Tales of Parasites and People
  • Hiss and Tell
  • Plague's Progress: A Social History Of Man And Disease
  • Pigeons: The Fascinating Saga of the World's Most Revered and Reviled Bird
  • Damned: An Illustrated History of the Devil
  • The Cat Who'll Live Forever: The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human
  • The Cat Behavior Answer Book: Practical Insights & Proven Solutions for Your Feline Questions
  • The Octopus and the Orangutan: New Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity
  • Mr. Maxwell's Mouse
  • Barmaids Brain And Other Strange Tales From Science

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »