Start by marking “Don't Trade the Baby for a Horse: And Other Ways to Make Your Life a Little More Laura Ingalls Wilder” as Want to Read:

In her spirited memoir The Wilder Life, Wendy McClure strapped on her sunbonnet and journeyed into the world of beloved Little House on the Prairie author Laura Ingalls Wilder. In Don’t Trade the Baby for a Horse, she shares what she learned from her crash course in “Lauraology,” along with her fiercely rekindled—even deepened—love for the series. McClure found that her en ...more
ebook, 1 page
Published April 3rd 2012 by Riverhead

To ask other readers questions about Don't Trade the Baby for a Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Trade the Baby for a Horse

Giddy Girlie
Apr 11, 2012 Giddy Girlie rated it really liked it
I think it's a fair disclaimer to say that I have been a huge fan of Wendy McClure for many years, so I was very excited about this latest release. I knew going into it that it was a collection of short snippets, almost like an advice book gleaned from her studies of Little House on the Prairie. So I have no issue with the length or brevity of the book.

The writing, as always, is solid and more than once I laughed out loud. I'd say about 95% of the 'chapters' (each an individual essay) was really
Joelle
Aug 22, 2012 Joelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Read this immediately after reading The Wilder Life. I enjoyed it, but I should've read it right after the other. It's more of an afterword - more lessons to be learned from Laura World, that didn't quite fit with the narrative of the larger book. Definitely worth a read if you liked the Wilder Life.
Rebekah
Apr 07, 2012 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Fun, satisfying, quick read. If you loved The Wilder Life, you'll enjoy this too.
Meg
Dec 30, 2016 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
A must read for adults who grew up as fans of Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Have you ever really thought, since childhood, about what it would have been like using a pig's bladder for a balloon? It is totally crazy. McClure explores this and other (crazy) details from Laura's world.
Karin Feeney-Cass
Apr 20, 2012 Karin Feeney-Cass rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a shortie but a goodie. (And at $3 for an ebook, who can complain?) McClure's book is a series of aphorisms based upon the Little House writings of Laura Ingalls Wilder, as well as some follow-up thoughts collected after the publication of "The Wilder Life". "Don't Trade the Baby..." might be best appreciated by those who have already read "Wilder Life" but anyone well versed in the Little House books will smile at the wisdom of savoring candy (or eating all of the sugar in the barrel) o ...more
April
Oct 28, 2012 April rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This was just okay for me. It seems to be an extension of her thoughts on her book "The Wilder Life". It was mildly funny, but no real depth. I think this would be better incorporated into her other book. It's not strong enough as a stand alone.
Susan Bybee
Dec 20, 2012 Susan Bybee rated it really liked it
I could listen to Wendy McClure talk about Laura-World for hours. Actually, she doesn't even have to talk about Little House things; I enjoy her take on any subject. I was disappointed this book was so short, but it was more fun than the time Pa spelled down the whole town!
Michelle
May 05, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok
Barely more than an outline. Interesting bits and pieces but I'd suggest reading The Wilder Life. This felt more like notes for that book or the chapters that hadn't made the cut. A pleasant enough diversion but not nearly as good as The Wilder Life.
Shannon
May 01, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
I'm not a Kindle person but I had to read this after reading The Wilder Life and I'm so glad I did. Wendy makes me smile and I if I wasn't alredy reading the Little House books to my daughters, I would be rereading them myself!
Karen
Apr 09, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
I liked The Wilder Life and this short e-book has more stories and reflections in a similar vein. I read it pretty much in one sitting, but I'll be revisiting my favorites (like the two "pig parts" vignettes).
Kelley
Jun 22, 2012 Kelley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
More insights into the "Little House" legacy. This is a VERY quick read and McClure is really funny!
Christine
Sep 09, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: liw
I laughed until I cried over the chapter on the pig's bladder.
Slickery
Apr 10, 2012 Slickery rated it really liked it
This the perfect quick companion to Wendy's excellent book "The Wilder Life." Though I still maintain that if you are the woman without the baby that trade is a good one.

Micaela
Aug 13, 2012 Micaela rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This seemed like an afterthought to her book. Why didn't she just put these in her book somehow? I am not sure, but I wish she would have.
Jodie
May 03, 2013 Jodie rated it really liked it
I simply love the Little House books. I adored Wendy McClure's memoir and this added ebook was great. I find the humor entertaining and I really enjoyed this one.
H
May 18, 2013 H rated it it was amazing
Super short but I loved the writing style and it put me in a great mood. Pass the pig-tail.
Keri
Sep 20, 2013 Keri rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet. I loved The Wilder Life, so it's nice to read a little more. Wendy McClure is funny and enjoyable to read. The pig bladder balloon had me laughing!
Tina
Apr 16, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
Read this in about 30 minutes. It's an e-book, but very short. More of a long pamphlet. More of the same from The Wilder Life. Cute. Not worth the 2.99 price I paid for it, though.
Sonja Trotter
Sonja Trotter rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2015
theelfqueen
theelfqueen rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Sarah Pease
Sarah Pease rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Katie Allen
Katie Allen rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Rie
Rie rated it really liked it
May 06, 2012
Helena
Helena rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Charlotte Hogg
Charlotte Hogg rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Gail
Gail rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2013
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • My Life as Laura: How I Searched for Laura Ingalls Wilder and Found Myself
  • The Little House Guidebook
  • The World of Little House
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder, Farm Journalist: Writings from the Ozarks
  • Spirit of the Road: The Life of an American Trucker...and his cat.
  • Way Below the Angels: The Pretty Clearly Troubled But Not Even Close to Tragic Confessions of a Real Live Mormon Missionary
  • The Reconstructionist
  • The Mirador: Dreamed Memories of Irene Nemirovsky by Her Daughter
  • Relapse
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Writer's Life
  • Chocolate & Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn't Go Away
  • Life by the Cup: Ingredients for a Purpose-filled Life of Bottomless Happiness and Limitless Success
  • The Woman in the Photograph
  • Lucky Girl: A Memoir
  • Nom de Plume: A (Secret) History of Pseudonyms
  • A Compendium of Collective Nouns: From an Armory of Aardvarks to a Zeal of Zebras
  • Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder: The Woman behind the Legend
  • The Alley (The Alley, #1)
Wendy McClure is an author and a children’s book editor.
More about Wendy McClure...