Start by marking “Ten Years Later” as Want to Read:
Ten Years Later

Read Book* *Different edition

Ten Years Later (The D'Artagnan Romances #3)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,699 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
The Vicomte de Bragellone is the final volume of the D'Artagnan Romances. It is usually divided into either three or four parts. This edition is the second in the four part division.
ebook
Published by Feedbooks (first published 1847)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Years Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Years Later

Irene
May 10, 2013 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to read all of the D'Artagnan Romances
Shelves: fiction
First, a recap. I am reading the D'Artagnan Romances via the FREE Kindle ebooks available on Amazon:

Book 1: The Three Musketeers
Book 2: Twenty Years After
Book 3a: The Vicomte de Bragelonne
Book 3b: Ten Years Later
Book 3c: Louise de la Vallière
Book 3d: The Man in the Iron Mask

Ten Years Later actually refers to the ten years in between Twenty Years After and The Vicomte de Bragelonne, so really, I think the titles of Books 3a and 3b should have been swapped. While the Vicomte still is not consiste
Reni
I wish I cared about any of the romance subplots, because there are some beautiful descriptions in there, but this book simply has too much detail. I feel like Cate Blanchett in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" when she foolishly tells the aliens that what she wants for a reward is to "know everything" and consequently her head explodes.

Only my head feels swollen not only from too much information but also from boredom.

Well at least the much more exciting power struggle between Colbert and Fouqu
Ragne
Again, this was OK, but had alot of stuff I'm not sure why is in there. I'm starting to think that these books could just as well have been one volume, with as many pages as one of the books.
The language is of course beautiful, but again, it's so "flowery", it makes it much, much longer than it needed to be.
This book, I skimmed through much of it, as long periods didn't really have anything to say for the story. The next, I will probably be even more selective in what I choose to read thorough
John (Taloni) Taloni
Kind of tedious. It's more of D'Artagnan and the Three Musketeers, but they have descended into parody. Porthos goes from the somewhat tubby and strong member of the Musketeers to an almost ogre-like giant. D'Artagnan has his status pushed back to where it was at the start of Twenty Years Later, apparently just because Dumas didn't know what else to do.

The characters contend against historical events again, and as historical fiction it is a fairly painless way to learn. It's just that the charac
Marko
Dec 29, 2014 Marko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excerpt from my review at: http://susimetsa.blogspot.fi/2014/12/...

Dumas' writing style, already discussed in my previous piece, continues here as well and the dialogue is rather meandering and it often takes the characters a page or two to get to the point that they wanted to express. While amusing, it adds to the feeling of unnecessary length of the plot itself - I'm sorry to say that I found the courtly games and descriptions of the extravagance relatively boring reads and the love affairs we
Leslie
This volume (#3.2 in the D'Artagnan series) had less adventure and more plotting than the previous ones in the series. I have already read "The Man in the Iron Mask" (volume #3.4) and I could see that a lot of groundwork for that volume was being laid. I am unhappy about Aramis who (view spoiler) ...more
Arctic
Feb 18, 2008 Arctic marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-lit
From Wikipedia:

"The third and last of the d'Artagnan Romances following The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After. It appeared first in serial form between 1847 and 1850. In the English translations the 268 chapters of this large volume are usually subdivided into three, but sometimes four or even five individual books. In three-volume English editions, the three volumes are titled "The Vicomte de Bragelonne", "Louise de la Vallière", and "The Man in the Iron Mask." Each of these volumes is ro
Jason
Feb 15, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another section with more political intrigue than action. Even so, it is rife with emotions, clever dialogue, treachery, misunderstandings, and suspense so thick you could cut it with a knife! I enjoyed all of the funny moments with our merry gentlemen as always and I am greatly looking forward to the final section- The Man in the Iron Mask!
Daniel
I'm getting less enthralled with Dumas. He has some really great moments, and then a lot of pretty dull scenes. I had no idea Louis' court was so soap-opera-ish. But it is an accurate history.
Dave Turner
Jun 13, 2013 Dave Turner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
*Please note I'm reading the 4 book set as opposed to the popular three book or obscure five book set*

In the second part of 'The Viscomte of Braglonne' the story subsides somewhat and takes a rather relaxed pace. There are really two competing storylines here, one major one (involving the royal family and all who orbit it) and a minor one (relating to the secret of the Bastille) and I, for one, was much more entranced by the latter.

This is still a very slow the trek and were often estranged from
Darla Stokes
Apr 19, 2014 Darla Stokes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always love Dumas. This is just as much fun as the rest.
Ds
May 15, 2015 Ds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I always enjoy Dumas' writing and this was indeed the third book (I have the 5-books edition) out of the whole saga, something was missing: the main characters. I'm not one to complain if there's not enough D'Artagnan or Athos and the others..but this was a huge lack of absence and, compared to the previous book, I really felt it. The book was also a bit dragged towards the middle. That's why I gave it four stars instead of 5. Because otherwise, the books is excellent in its plot, wri ...more
Dave Johnson
A complete slog. Two stars, though I reserve the right to downgrade it to one after I get through The Man in the Iron Mask and see how necessary all of this backstory really is. Way more court intrigue than the other books. It is a romance, not an adventure story, and though I don't hate the former, I was expecting the latter.
Carmen
Sep 02, 2012 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I am working my way through the entire Three Musketeers saga. Every time I think I am on the verge of finishing the collection, it turns out there is another installment! It is very entertaining but it is also clear that Dumas was getting paid to serialize the story. At last count, it appears to total more than 4,000 pages. I think I am somewhere in the early 3,000's (hard to tell - reading everything except the first installment on my Kindle - still, a great way to spend train commutes. He has ...more
Lori Goshert-shokirov
One star off for continuity issues, which are a pet peeve of mine, but otherwise it was spectacular just like all the other Dumas books I've read so far.
Ragne
Jake
Aug 04, 2009 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
When I made my way through the Musketeer Saga, this was one of the titles. However, my favorite Musketeer novel is Twenty Years After .

The main fuss I have with Dumas's Musketeer saga is perhaps a childish one. I wish the books boasted the same nonstop action as some of the film adaptations do. Instead, they often focus on political posturing. The pace often drags.
Julie Tichonchuk
Of all of the books comprised in the Three Musketeers saga, this one was my least favorite. I felt like I was stuck in a mixture of Shakespeare's Midsummer Nights Dream and a Harlequin Romance. While I love former, I resist the latter as trivial dribble. I found the story dragging and tedious. I missed D'Artagnan's presence, as well as his faithful companions. I'm not sure what turn Aramis' character has taken. I will read the next two installments to find out.
George Isaacs
Jul 18, 2015 George Isaacs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume delves heavily into the world of 17th century French (and related) royalty. A world so alien to me, I can only visualize it in my mind in a style that mixes the manga/anime work of Mamoru Nagano with that of P. Craig Russell back when he was adapting Michael Moorcock's Elric to comicbooks. This is not a complaint.

(the version I'm reading is not a hardcover, but an ebook from Project Gutenberg. I'll change it later)
Dec 28, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young D'Artagnan becomes embroiled in court intrigues, international politics, and ill-fated affairs between royal lovers. The book at hand is the second volume of the third serial. Louis XIV is well past the age where he should rule, but the ailing Cardinal Mazarin refuses to relinquish the reins of power. Meanwhile, Charles II, a king without a country, travels Europe seeking aid from his fellow monarchs.
Zana
Apr 10, 2012 Zana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, own, fiction, kindle
Wow, the court of Louis XIV is full of thoroughly unpleasant people! And our heroes are nowhere -- or rarely -- to be seen in this volume. Porthos is only mentioned once. The only really interesting parts were the bits where Aramis was laying the groundwork for his plans; he has suddenly become a much more interesting character now that we actually get to see his intrigues.
Zachary Garber
Too melodramatic, soapy. Not enough (or any...) true *political* intrigue.
Kealan O'ver
I find it hard to imagine this as only part of one giant novel that had a first part as entertaining as it was. This one spends almost every page with the various and unnecessarily convoluted intrigues of the French court. Hopefully the third part will pick up a bit but somehow I doubt it.
Marcus Steffanci
This volume read like a soap opera. The lack of D'Artagnan was very disheartining, and while they start to set up The Man In The Iron Mask, there so far doesn't seem a need to replace Louis XIV. He seems like a likable enough person and seems to be doing a fair job ruling the kingdom
Jeff Collett
Aug 17, 2013 Jeff Collett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing of Dumas continues to be superb. The story itself is rather drawn out. Not a lot of action in this one but none the less an interesting story. It is witty, smart, and intriguing. I don't mind waiting for climaxes when the writing is good.
Kirsa
Mar 04, 2011 Kirsa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Considering that I hated all the court intrigue throughout the book, and that was pretty much all the book consisted of, I didn't like it much. Poor Raoul. Only one more volume left to read before reading The Man in the Iron Mask!
Kerstin Olcott
This is the fourth book in the Three Musketeers series. I found it most diappointing. There was very little action and way too much court intrigue. I'm hoping the last two in the series do not disappoint.
Larry
Apr 02, 2014 Larry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
still like the writing style, but the plot was horribly lacking. got away from intrigue and into romance within the court. bit of a slog, hoping the next ones pick up
Kathy
Feb 11, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveread
I love reading Alexander Dumas' books! They are so romantic and delightful! This one is a fun one and is lengthy so the character development is wonderful.
Scott Pfeiffer
An interesting novel of the early life of Louis XIV, but it doesn't really end as much as it flows into Louise d' Valliere in the middle of a scene!
  • Lord Tony's Wife
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
  • The Mortal Immortal: The Complete Supernatural Short Fiction of Mary Shelley
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • The Valley of the Moon
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • Sylvie and Bruno
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
  • Dick Sands the Boy Captain (The Extraordinary Voyages #17)
  • House of Corruption
  • Count Brass (Chronicles of Castle Brass, #1)
  • Cleopatra
  • The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3)
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his no
More about Alexandre Dumas...

The D'Artagnan Romances (8 books)
  • The Three Musketeers
  • Los tres mosqueteros, 1 (Las novelas de D'Artagnan, #1.1)
  • Los tres mosqueteros, 2
  • Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances, #2)
  • Vicomte de Bragelonne (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3.1)
  • Louise de La Vallière (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3.2)
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3.3)