Start by marking “Far From My Home, Never To Return: A Polish Child's WWII Memoir” as Want to Read:
Far From My Home, Never To Return: A Polish Child's WWII Memoir

Far From My Home, Never To Return: A Polish Child's WWII Memoir

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Most people are familiar with the Nazi atrocities of World War II committed against the Jews. Far less commonly known, however, are the experiences of the Poles of Eastern Poland at the hands of the occupying Soviet army. Far From My Home, Never to Return: A Polish Child's WWII Memoir is a first-person account chronicling the dire peril and adversity endured and suffered b ...more
Published March 22nd 2012 by Martin Sisters Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Far From My Home, Never To Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Far From My Home, Never To Return

Alex Baugh
There are not as books written about the arrest and deportation of people living in the Eastern Europe that Stalin’s Soviet Union invaded in 1940, but what is available are excellent tellings of the cruelty so many innocent people suffered in Siberian labor camps. Added to that body of work that includes the fictional Between Shades of Gray and Esther Hauzig’s memoir The Endless Steppe is another true account - Far From My Home, Never to Return: a Polish Child’s WWII Memoir by Nadia Seluga.

Born
Jacob
Apr 20, 2012 Jacob rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in a great story, Poles or people of Polish descent, & WWII history buffs
Shelves: history
Let me just preface this review by stating that this is my grandmother's memoir.

This book is a very engaging and even a rather quick read. It reads much like a novel. This does not mean that the story is lacking in any way; on the contrary, its first-person historical account perspective through the eyes of my grandmother as a child is unique and without exaggeration of any kind. As such, this memoir is a completely true story.

My grandmother and her family lived in an idyllic and peaceful part o
Traci
What I enjoyed most about this book was learning about another part of WWII. Growing up my teachers seemed to focus on the Nazis, Germany, the US, with Italy as an after thought and only the bombings involving Japan ie Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima. There was so much more going on during this time it still absolutely amazes me. And it still astounds me to this day how cruel people can be to other human beings.
This story was enjoyable because of the never ceasing hope and faith that things would ge
Doreen Petersen
This was a really good book telling the untold history of Poles who lived in eastern Poland at the start of WWII. Very moving and at times brought tears to my eyes. I definitely recommend this to all.
Jennifer Ludwig
Such an amazing story.
Natalki
Natalki is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
Hamza
Hamza marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Val
Val is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2014
Katya
Katya marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Monica Gruszka
Monica Gruszka marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
Wanda Presley
Wanda Presley marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2012
Brenda
Brenda added it
Oct 01, 2012
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2012
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2012
Amy Hustead
Amy Hustead marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2012
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2012