Start by marking “Necessity's Door” as Want to Read:
Necessity's Door

Necessity's Door (Riptide Rentboys: The 2012 Collection)

Being an openly-gay detective in Birmingham comes with its share of problems. For one, the pay is awful. For another, Jake always gets stuck with the crappy undercover jobs. Like posing as a prostitute to catch the new crime boss in town—a man notorious for rough sex with pretty young rentboys.

Jake’s latest op is fraught with difficulties, all of them men. Like his partner
Published May 28th 2012 by Riptide Publishing (first published May 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Necessity's Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Necessity's Door

Monika

I expected more from this story, the blurb was good the cover was great but the story inside was lacking. I liked Jake as an MC but the rest of the characters had no personality, which made it difficult to get lost in the story. Jake going undercover as a prostitute was good but having him sleeping with “clients” was totally unbelievable and his undercover job of catching the new crime boss was really thin, there was no build up and the end of that part of the story was lackluster and very disap
Jody
May 25, 2012 Jody rated it really liked it
With its storyline of an undercover cop playing the role of prostitute, Necessity's Door fits in seamlessly with the other titles in Riptide Publishing's Rentboy Collection. While there's a feeling of implausibility in Jake's actually going with the men who stop for him, it didn't hamper my enjoyment of this story in any way.

At the start of the story Jake is definitely in turmoil after his boyfriend walks out on him taking all of Jake's savings. It's made him a bit desperate to make ends meet. A
Adara
May 06, 2012 Adara rated it really liked it
An interesting short novella about an undercover officer posing as a rentboy. He gets caught between his job and his life when he meets a real john who's not part of his mission but he has to go with the guy to maintain his cover. And he likes it. A lot. And then he gets paid, and no one really knows about it, so even though he should declare it, he's got some financial difficulty riding him and that money could help, and no one will know, so what's the harm, and if the guy keeps coming back and ...more
L-D
I didn't expect this to be so short. I think that even with the length, the author did manage to put some interesting things into her story. I liked the overall premise of Jake as an undercover policeman, but I was having trouble coming to terms with Jake's situation. (view spoiler) ...more
Ayanna
Jan 21, 2013 Ayanna rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, meh
Concerns, concerns, concerns. Yeah, yeah, yeah. That sort of stuff.

I'm still unsure about the whole actually having sex on an undercover op thing, but beyond that whole dubious premise, it was quite good. I mean, parts of it DID seem rather like a series of comedy of errors, but the emotions of the characters were explored rather nicely.

I kind of would have wanted more development, but in that whole implications area more...

Abrupt ending, HFN, *shrug. I mean, for its length, it wasn't bad? Again
Sars
Feb 19, 2013 Sars rated it it was ok
Started off well but kind of went downhill very fast. Issues with the undercover operation aside, the ending was very disappointing. It felt rushed as well. Possibly would have been a better story if the author had time to flesh out the other characters a bit more.
jules0623
May 28, 2012 jules0623 rated it it was ok
Shelves: relationship-m-m
Elizabetta
Jul 10, 2012 Elizabetta rated it it was ok
Shelves: combined-books
Couldn't get behind this one. The idea of an undercover cop posing as a prostitute actually sleeping with suspects and debating keeping the cash just didn't work for me. Maybe if it had been built as grittier. To me, Jake comes off as a mess with nothing to really redeem him. This is part of the Riptide Rentboy 2012 collection. Comprised of 4 books, as a whole I'd rate the collection a 3.5 but mostly for Belleau and Vane's Cruce de Caminos which remains my favorite.
Evaine
May 18, 2013 Evaine rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, e-books, m-m
An enjoyable story about a gay undercover cop and the pickle he manages to get himself into with his on the job partner, their quarry and the innocent fellow that stumbles into the picture.

A bit of romantic fairytale type fluff, but you know what? Sometimes that kind of story is exactly what one's soul needs after a few dark reads in a row.

I'd read work by Fiona Glass again. :)
Liz (Bugetta)
I liked this one. The writing was really good but it was not a romance; there is no HEA and not even an HFN. It was more about the MC moving on from a bad breakup and a guy he can't have and finding someone in a very unconventional way who could love but you don't get that story. I would like to read that story though!
Jane
Feb 20, 2013 Jane rated it did not like it
.5 stars

Run, run far away. Don't waste your time or money on this totally ridiculous book. I can't believe it's gotten more then one star ratings. I can suspend belief when it does to books but I would believe in the teachings of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster before I believe the crap this book was selling me.
Lasha
Apr 14, 2012 Lasha rated it did not like it
An undercover cop posing as a hooker, but sleeping with his "johns" to maintain his cover. What? Not plausible in the slightest. An editor at Riptide, whose books I normally enjoy, should have caught that the premise is not realistic in the slightest. And from other reviews it seems I am not alone.

Beautiful cover though.
Katy Beth Mckee
When this story started I was so sure where it was going. Toward the middle I didn't see how anything good would come of the the mess Jake's world had become. To get to the end was surprising in it simplicity.
Lacie
May 27, 2012 Lacie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Decent read, if a bit thin at times. Also, the ending, way too convenient/abrupt. Still, I enjoyed the brief glimpse into the lives of the characters and would be willing to read more of Glass' work.
Rosemary
Jun 25, 2012 Rosemary rated it really liked it
Everything got tied up a little too neatly and quickly at the end, but I liked the story and main characters.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Cat
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Genre: M/M Contemporary
Rated: 2.5 Hearts

Check out the review at: http://heartsonfirereviews.com
Maw
Maw rated it it was ok
May 26, 2012
Liza Shahin
Liza Shahin rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Maarja
Maarja rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2013
Terry
Terry rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2014
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Stephanie
May 26, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, riptide
I really liked this story. It was nicely written. I liked the plot and characters.
Kelly Taylor
Kelly Taylor rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Darkm
Darkm rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Jayhjay
Jayhjay rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
Kym
Kym rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
May 25, 2012
Mandy Anne
Mandy Anne rated it liked it
May 28, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
When she isn't being a pane in the glass, Fiona writes darkly humorous fiction, almost always with a twist in the tail. Her work has been published in anthologies and magazines (both print and electronic), most recently with Riptide Publishing, Byker Books, Mslexia, and The Pygmy Giant. Her second novel, 'Gleams of a Remoter World', was published in 2012 and a paranormal comedy romance called 'Got ...more
More about Fiona Glass...

Riptide Rentboys: The 2012 Collection (5 books)
  • Where You Hurt the Most
  • Priceless (Irresistible Attraction, #1)
  • Cruce de Caminos (Layers of the Otherworld, #0.5)
  • Riptide Rentboys: The 2012 Collection