Start by marking “Where You Hurt the Most” as Want to Read:
Where You Hurt the Most

Read eBook

Where You Hurt the Most (Riptide Rentboys: The 2012 Collection)

Adrian is more than happy as high-class escort for a number of regular clients. When his boss and dear friend asks him to entertain his nephew, Adrian readily agrees, but meeting Dan challenges him in ways he'd never imagined.

Dan is scarred inside and out from an accident that destroyed a promising future. Despite Adrian's loveless lifestyle and Dan's withdrawal and anger,
Published May 7th 2012 by Riptide Publishing (first published May 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Where You Hurt the Most, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where You Hurt the Most

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderThe Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeSoul Bonds by Lynn LorenzEasy by Ally BlueAn Uncommon Whore by Belinda McBride
Best Gay Rent Boys
48th out of 290 books — 357 voters
The Morning Star by M. ChandlerCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceInfected by Andrea SpeedBound by Megan DerrTrue of Heart by M.L. Rhodes
M/M Romance With (Mostly) Red Covers
37th out of 164 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Serena Yates
Jun 06, 2012 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
Hurt and pain can manifest in many different ways. Sometimes it is very visible, as is the case with Dan who carries his scars on the outside. Sometimes it isn’t visible at all, because the scars are on the inside – and the man who carries them isn’t even aware of them. Those are easy to ignore since they are not seen, but they are no less serious. This story offers an interesting look at both types of hurt and the men who end up helping each other.

Adrian is an escort, and he is good at what he
May 09, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
This was a short story about two men, each lost and alone in his own way. It was almost too short to gain any real understanding of the characters but the spark was there.
May 09, 2012 Joanne rated it it was amazing
A really unusual book. All told from the POV of Adrian, an escort who thinks he's perfectly happy and content until he is asked to meet Dan, a scared, bitter young man. I loved it, very intriguing, mainly talking and, for a book about an escort, very little sex, but it works perfectly. A beautiful book.
3.5 stars.
Loved the vulnerability shown and felt, those first tentative steps taken towards trusting and loving someone again. There is a promising relationship developing here between Adrian and Dan who are quite a pair, an intriguing mix with so much more to discover, too bad the end rushed up and hit me just as I was getting stuck into it, a fascinating insight but so brief it only scratched the surface, hopefully this is only a snippet towards something bigger and better "a novel"!
Cole Riann

Review posted at Brief Encounters Reviews.

This beautifully written story is unique for a story about an escort, with little sex and a premise that is wholly original. Two men, one with hidden hurts and another with obvious ones meeting in an unlikely setting.

I’m not going to rehash the blurb here in my own words because the official one does a very accurate job itself. Adrian is a high class escort. While he does have sex with many of the men he sees regularly, he is truly an escort, wh
Anne Brooke is a master of conveying emotions on pages; I am always blown a little away when I read one of her stories. Where You Hurt the Most was no exception and I found myself making a connection with characters, and it all had me thinking where I hurt the most.

Adrian is a high-class escort, and he is quite happy. It’s not really a sob story about him hating his life, and he can’t get out of his job. It’s his job and he takes pride in it, and wants all his client to get their money’s worth.
May 17, 2012 Amara rated it really liked it
This is my second time reading something by Anne Brooke, and may I just say... she is quickly becoming a fave of mine. Her writing is superb, with a literary quality really enjoy. What I also love is... scarred men, be it inside or out. What she gave me with this story was both. And in a matter of less than 50 pages, she managed to reveal their pain, bring the characters together, and begin a process of healing, for both.

The only thing that kept me from giving this one a full 5 stars
May 08, 2012 Kazza rated it really liked it
The book's official review says fairly clearly what it is about. What is doesn't say is how beautifully it is written. The words so gentle, kind and human.

Adrian is a young man who is an escort to other men. Men who want and can afford a knowledgeable, personable, outwardly caring, gentle man. One they can take to the theatre, museums, events, fine dining and is attractive and appropriately attentive, without making anything seem sordid. Of course for those who want it, and most do, sex is a par
May 06, 2012 Kassandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-or-gay-lit
Great chemistry between all of the characters. Short but well put together. Makes me want to know all of the story. What happened before and after!!
Emma Sea
May 13, 2012 Emma Sea rated it it was ok
Shelves: rent-boy
I didn't like this story, because from his actions and thoughts I didn't read Bill/Adrian as male. I like my m/m romances to be about men (or boys). Bill reads, not as a woman, but as mass-media's insistance of what women are like: emotional, pensive, and unable to work in the sex industry while being in a loving relationship (so much for the masseur analogy). I didn't like Bill's amorphous, nebulous angst about nothing-in-particular. I'm good with angst caused by a purpose i.e. I'm afraid to be ...more
May 13, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, arc, ebook, 2012
Very good short m/m romance about an escort who's asked to spend some time with a young man and perhaps help draw him out of the shell he's been in since an accident left him terribly scarred. Written in a lovely, literary style, this story was a pleasure to read. My only complaint was that, while the story of the escort and the young man was evocatively told, I wanted to know at least a few more details about the merely implied back story in order to better understand a scene near the end.
May 11, 2012 Meggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts, romance
Emotionally, even if short, well created story of Adrian, as high-class escort, and nephew of Arien boss, Dan. The main dialogues between Adrien and Dan were pulling and grabbed at me emotionally. I felt good at the end, because of the way it ended. With hope.
May 11, 2012 Jenre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, contemporary, romance
Continuing my love of the rent boy theme, this novella tells of escort Adrian, who is asked by his employer to entertain his nephew Dan. Dan is scarred badly from an accident and hates the perfect Adrian and his self-contained life. I really loved this book and enjoyed the way the dynamic changes between the men. Adrian is living in luxury, cocooned by wealth and cut off from his emotions. He seems cold and distant at first, never allowing emotions such as lust or anger cloud his judgement. Dan ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
May 13, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it liked it
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Anke

This was a strong story for being so short.
That being said I really would have liked some more back story about Adrian, since really I didn't totally understand his 'hurt'.
Well written and touching.
Valentina Heart
3.5 stars, heavy stuff.

This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

A short story about a wounded man and another who can all but be a healing balm to his misfortune. Beautifully written and characteristic of Anne Brooke, this story delivered an honest peek into two very different situations and left me touched and content.

Adrian is an escort who is true to the word. He provides comfort, friendship and company in addition to sexual favors, only his clien
Sep 27, 2012 Shortlatte rated it it was amazing
Where You Hurt the Most demonstrates perfectly the harmony that emotional impact and intimate detail can have in well-done erotica. Brooke’s story is only about fifty pages long, yet she manages to pack a larger punch in few words than many authors I’ve read of late who have failed to make me resonate with their characters after reading an entire series’ worth of interactions.
Brooke’s story can be seen as a modern-day Beauty and the Beast tale, and as in most of the best adaptations, the “Beast”
Jess Candela
Aug 26, 2012 Jess Candela rated it it was amazing
Review Summary: A surprisingly satisfying, almost magical, short story.

Review: The title of this story perplexed me until I read it and discovered how perfectly it fits. Where you hurt the most is, naturally, the point at which you’re most vulnerable. Sharing your deepest vulnerabilities with someone is one of the biggest risks you can take, but the potential payoff is correspondingly rewarding. When you let someone know where you hurt most and they respond with support, caring, underst
Kaje Harper
Jul 28, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
A smooth satisfying short story about Adrian, who works as an escort, and Dan, the burn-scarred client he is asked by his boss to spend time with. Both men have their unhealed wounds, and the unexpected chemistry between them is at once exciting and frightening in its potential. What begins as a simple exchange of time and pleasure becomes something more, and deciding how far they are willing to go isn't easy for either of them.
Aug 07, 2012 Alina rated it it was amazing
Short, but nice and sweet book.
I love rentboys stories and I enjoyed this one, although wish it was longer.
Oct 11, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Ms. Brooke has created her magic again with a story so deep it touches you on every level and she does it with only three characters in this story. Three very strong men that make a lasting impression.

Adrian is a male escort; one of the best in Max’s employ. He is compassionate, sexy, and intelligent. He knows how to make a client feel like he is the only man in the world and is able to touch something that they didn’t even know they were looking for.

Max has been his boss for a couple years now,
Amber Cummings
Jan 04, 2013 Amber Cummings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, romance
This is a great short read. Despite the length there was such emotion that made you love both characters. I love how Brooke brought the characters emotions home.
I really liked this story, but I wish it had been longer. It would have been nice to have a longer time to watch this relationship develop. It was great to see Adrian pull Dan out of his shell, but I just don't think it would have happened as quickly as it did in this book.
Feb 14, 2013 Kassa rated it liked it

Anne Brooke always impresses me. I quite literally love her writing. There’s a sophistication and refinement to the clean, sparse prose that sets her apart. In fact I enjoyed reading the writing more so than the story itself, which wasn’t slacking. The theme of pain is one that Brooke has dabbled in before and intense concepts are truly her forte. Love, longing, need, desire, and characters that are anything but easy combine to offer a deeply moving yet still light story. I didn’t walk
Tami (synchro from BL)
Apr 14, 2013 Tami (synchro from BL) rated it did not like it
Darien is an escort, he's good at what he does, he's popular with clients and he lives well from the proceeds but really he has no life outside of it, so when his boss and friend Max asks him to take on his nephew as a free client he's quite happy to do so, even when Max explains that Dan is scarred and badly burned after a terrible car accident. Dan is bitter and wary so the first meeting doesn't go very well but Adrien perseveres and asks Dan to return a week later and so a tentative friendshi ...more
Aug 14, 2013 Candice rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, m-m
Well, the thing is is that I think this would have made a better full length rather than a short/novella. I wanted Adrian fleshed out more. What was he like before he met Dan? How was he with other clients? Did they always go to his house???? Is that safe? Seriously, I was pretty stunned when I read Dan came to his house! I wanted to know more about his relationship with Max. He seems to think he owes him a lot, but there was never a reason why. Where did Max find him to bring him into the busin ...more
Aug 27, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
Ugh. *groans* This was bad. What distinguishes a three star from a two star for me, is if I can recommend it. I can’t recommend bothering with this story.

The biggest detriment to this story: “insta-love.” That didn’t even start out as “insta-love,” but at the turn of a page developed - with no explanation or even declaration of the change. The moment was confusing and nonsensical.

I grabbed this book while on the Riptide Publishing site in a Voinov bundle purchasing frenzy. Voinov doesn’t contr
Anna D.
I found this incredibly touching.

I can’t quite decide if this was too short or just right. What we’re given is a very short read, but it was satisfying and we also get enough to know the main intention of the story. I supposed I just wanted to see more of the MCs.

I liked the pain and loss we felt from Dan and I equally liked the tenderness Adrian/Bill showed Dan. The moment they spent together was enough to spark life back into Dan and also faith back into Bill because for a long time he was l
Nov 06, 2014 Alona rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, short
What a sweet surprise!
I really enjoyed it.
Oct 04, 2016 Juxian rated it did not like it
It's a good thing the story is so short, otherwise my palm could've stuck glued to my face permanently.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cruce de Caminos (Layers of the Otherworld, #0.5)
  • Priceless (Irresistible Attraction, #1)
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • Foreshock
  • First Watch
  • Portside
  • Few Are Chosen
  • Surprises (Romeo Club, #1)
  • Country Mouse (Country Mouse, #1)
  • Power Play: Awakening (Power Play, #2)
  • Last Chance (First Impressions, #3)
  • Dark Soul Vol. 2 (Dark Soul, #2)
  • Permanently Legless
  • Love, Hypothetically (Theta Alpha Gamma, #2)
  • Long the Mile
  • Lost and Found
  • He Is Worthy (Warriors of Rome, #2)
Anne Brooke lives in Surrey, UK. She is a multi-published author in a variety of genres, including gay erotic romance, fantasy, comedy, thrillers, biblical fiction and the occasional chicklit novel. Her fiction has been shortlisted for the Harry Bowling Prize (for novels set in London) and the Royal Literary Fund Scheme.

When not writing, she spends time in the garden attempting to differentiate be
More about Anne Brooke...

Riptide Rentboys: The 2012 Collection (5 books)
  • Priceless (Irresistible Attraction, #1)
  • Cruce de Caminos (Layers of the Otherworld, #0.5)
  • Necessity's Door