Start by marking “Where You Hurt the Most” as Want to Read:
Where You Hurt the Most
Read eBook

Where You Hurt the Most (Riptide Rentboys: The 2012 Collection)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Adrian is more than happy as high-class escort for a number of regular clients. When his boss and dear friend asks him to entertain his nephew, Adrian readily agrees, but meeting Dan challenges him in ways he'd never imagined.

Dan is scarred inside and out from an accident that destroyed a promising future. Despite Adrian's loveless lifestyle and Dan's withdrawal and anger,
Published May 7th 2012 by Riptide Publishing (first published May 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Where You Hurt the Most, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where You Hurt the Most

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderThe Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeSoul Bonds by Lynn LorenzEasy by Ally BlueBe My Boy by Casey K. Cox
Best Gay Rent Boys
43rd out of 201 books — 338 voters
The Morning Star by M. ChandlerCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceBound by Megan DerrBran's Story by MaculategiraffeThe Hot Floor by Josephine Myles
M/M Romance With (Mostly) Red Covers
15th out of 134 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Cole Riann

Review posted at Brief Encounters Reviews.

This beautifully written story is unique for a story about an escort, with little sex and a premise that is wholly original. Two men, one with hidden hurts and another with obvious ones meeting in an unlikely setting.

I’m not going to rehash the blurb here in my own words because the official one does a very accurate job itself. Adrian is a high class escort. While he does have sex with many of the men he sees regularly, he is truly an escort, wh
Emma Sea
I didn't like this story, because from his actions and thoughts I didn't read Bill/Adrian as male. I like my m/m romances to be about men (or boys). Bill reads, not as a woman, but as mass-media's insistance of what women are like: emotional, pensive, and unable to work in the sex industry while being in a loving relationship (so much for the masseur analogy). I didn't like Bill's amorphous, nebulous angst about nothing-in-particular. I'm good with angst caused by a purpose i.e. I'm afraid to be ...more
Jenre
Continuing my love of the rent boy theme, this novella tells of escort Adrian, who is asked by his employer to entertain his nephew Dan. Dan is scarred badly from an accident and hates the perfect Adrian and his self-contained life. I really loved this book and enjoyed the way the dynamic changes between the men. Adrian is living in luxury, cocooned by wealth and cut off from his emotions. He seems cold and distant at first, never allowing emotions such as lust or anger cloud his judgement. Dan ...more
Macky ~ Sinfully...Addicted To All Male Romance
Darien is an escort, he's good at what he does, he's popular with clients and he lives well from the proceeds but really he has no life outside of it, so when his boss and friend Max asks him to take on his nephew as a free client he's quite happy to do so, even when Max explains that Dan is scarred and badly burned after a terrible car accident. Dan is bitter and wary so the first meeting doesn't go very well but Adrien perseveres and asks Dan to return a week later and so a tentative friendshi ...more
Alona
Nov 06, 2014 Alona rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, short
What a sweet surprise!
I really enjoyed it.
Vio
3.5 stars.
Loved the vulnerability shown and felt, those first tentative steps taken towards trusting and loving someone again. There is a promising relationship developing here between Adrian and Dan who are quite a pair, an intriguing mix with so much more to discover, too bad the end rushed up and hit me just as I was getting stuck into it, a fascinating insight but so brief it only scratched the surface, hopefully this is only a snippet towards something bigger and better "a novel"!
Meggie
Emotionally, even if short, well created story of Adrian, as high-class escort, and nephew of Arien boss, Dan. The main dialogues between Adrien and Dan were pulling and grabbed at me emotionally. I felt good at the end, because of the way it ended. With hope.
Serena Yates
Hurt and pain can manifest in many different ways. Sometimes it is very visible, as is the case with Dan who carries his scars on the outside. Sometimes it isn’t visible at all, because the scars are on the inside – and the man who carries them isn’t even aware of them. Those are easy to ignore since they are not seen, but they are no less serious. This story offers an interesting look at both types of hurt and the men who end up helping each other.

Adrian is an escort, and he is good at what he
Rachel
Ugh. *groans* This was bad. What distinguishes a three star from a two star for me, is if I can recommend it. I can’t recommend bothering with this story.

The biggest detriment to this story: “insta-love.” That didn’t even start out as “insta-love,” but at the turn of a page developed - with no explanation or even declaration of the change. The moment was confusing and nonsensical.

I grabbed this book while on the Riptide Publishing site in a Voinov bundle purchasing frenzy. Voinov doesn’t contr
Chris
Very good short m/m romance about an escort who's asked to spend some time with a young man and perhaps help draw him out of the shell he's been in since an accident left him terribly scarred. Written in a lovely, literary style, this story was a pleasure to read. My only complaint was that, while the story of the escort and the young man was evocatively told, I wanted to know at least a few more details about the merely implied back story in order to better understand a scene near the end.
Josie Goodreads
A really unusual book. All told from the POV of Adrian, an escort who thinks he's perfectly happy and content until he is asked to meet Dan, a scared, bitter young man. I loved it, very intriguing, mainly talking and, for a book about an escort, very little sex, but it works perfectly. A beautiful book.
Aleksandr Voinov
Anne Brooke does it again - gently peeling the layers off her characters' souls while being literary, heart-pounding and beautiful at the same time.
Kazza
The book's official review says fairly clearly what it is about. What is doesn't say is how beautifully it is written. The words so gentle, kind and human.

Adrian is a young man who is an escort to other men. Men who want and can afford a knowledgeable, personable, outwardly caring, gentle man. One they can take to the theatre, museums, events, fine dining and is attractive and appropriately attentive, without making anything seem sordid. Of course for those who want it, and most do, sex is a par
Melissa
Ms. Brooke has created her magic again with a story so deep it touches you on every level and she does it with only three characters in this story. Three very strong men that make a lasting impression.

Adrian is a male escort; one of the best in Max’s employ. He is compassionate, sexy, and intelligent. He knows how to make a client feel like he is the only man in the world and is able to touch something that they didn’t even know they were looking for.

Max has been his boss for a couple years now,
Jess Candela
Review Summary: A surprisingly satisfying, almost magical, short story.

Review: The title of this story perplexed me until I read it and discovered how perfectly it fits. Where you hurt the most is, naturally, the point at which you’re most vulnerable. Sharing your deepest vulnerabilities with someone is one of the biggest risks you can take, but the potential payoff is correspondingly rewarding. When you let someone know where you hurt most and they respond with support, caring, underst
DarienMoya
Anne Brooke is a master of conveying emotions on pages; I am always blown a little away when I read one of her stories. Where You Hurt the Most was no exception and I found myself making a connection with characters, and it all had me thinking where I hurt the most.

Adrian is a high-class escort, and he is quite happy. It’s not really a sob story about him hating his life, and he can’t get out of his job. It’s his job and he takes pride in it, and wants all his client to get their money’s worth.
deirdre
Nov 02, 2014 deirdre rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
sweet, light contemporary

i liked this story, it was entertaining. it was sweet, but not as believable as i would have liked.

i didn't get to know aiden/bill enough. and that is not a function of being a short story. i have read a few shorts that have been tremendous! i just didn't know enough about him to buy into this big life change. and then his relationship with max (his pimp) . . . what is revealed about the nature of their relationship close to the end troubled me, but go ahead and run off
Mandy*reads obsessively*
May 13, 2012 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Anke
3.5*

This was a strong story for being so short.
That being said I really would have liked some more back story about Adrian, since really I didn't totally understand his 'hurt'.
Well written and touching.
Anna D.
I found this incredibly touching.

I can’t quite decide if this was too short or just right. What we’re given is a very short read, but it was satisfying and we also get enough to know the main intention of the story. I supposed I just wanted to see more of the MCs.

I liked the pain and loss we felt from Dan and I equally liked the tenderness Adrian/Bill showed Dan. The moment they spent together was enough to spark life back into Dan and also faith back into Bill because for a long time he was l
Kassa

Anne Brooke always impresses me. I quite literally love her writing. There’s a sophistication and refinement to the clean, sparse prose that sets her apart. In fact I enjoyed reading the writing more so than the story itself, which wasn’t slacking. The theme of pain is one that Brooke has dabbled in before and intense concepts are truly her forte. Love, longing, need, desire, and characters that are anything but easy combine to offer a deeply moving yet still light story. I didn’t walk
Amara
This is my second time reading something by Anne Brooke, and may I just say... she is quickly becoming a fave of mine. Her writing is superb, with a literary quality really enjoy. What I also love is... scarred men, be it inside or out. What she gave me with this story was both. And in a matter of less than 50 pages, she managed to reveal their pain, bring the characters together, and begin a process of healing, for both.

Impressive.

The only thing that kept me from giving this one a full 5 stars
Candice
Well, the thing is is that I think this would have made a better full length rather than a short/novella. I wanted Adrian fleshed out more. What was he like before he met Dan? How was he with other clients? Did they always go to his house???? Is that safe? Seriously, I was pretty stunned when I read Dan came to his house! I wanted to know more about his relationship with Max. He seems to think he owes him a lot, but there was never a reason why. Where did Max find him to bring him into the busin ...more
Tami (synchro from BL)
Kaje Harper
A smooth satisfying short story about Adrian, who works as an escort, and Dan, the burn-scarred client he is asked by his boss to spend time with. Both men have their unhealed wounds, and the unexpected chemistry between them is at once exciting and frightening in its potential. What begins as a simple exchange of time and pleasure becomes something more, and deciding how far they are willing to go isn't easy for either of them.
Dre
I really liked this story, but I wish it had been longer. It would have been nice to have a longer time to watch this relationship develop. It was great to see Adrian pull Dan out of his shell, but I just don't think it would have happened as quickly as it did in this book.
Susan
This was a short story about two men, each lost and alone in his own way. It was almost too short to gain any real understanding of the characters but the spark was there.
Amber Cummings
This is a great short read. Despite the length there was such emotion that made you love both characters. I love how Brooke brought the characters emotions home.
Kassandra
Great chemistry between all of the characters. Short but well put together. Makes me want to know all of the story. What happened before and after!!
Alina
Short, but nice and sweet book.
I love rentboys stories and I enjoyed this one, although wish it was longer.
Val Kovalin
Adrian seems to be the perfect escort, living the perfect life. He’s wealthy, cultured, handsome, and perceptive. He surrounds himself with beauty while pursuing a career doing something he loves. Sex for hire is only a small part of his job description, which involves being a good companion in an overall sense – someone attractive, gracious, and intellectually stimulating who can accompany wealthy male clients to social events to help them appreciate the finer things in life. Adrian even consid ...more
  • Cruce de Caminos (Layers of the Otherworld, #0.5)
  • Priceless (Irresistible Attraction, #1)
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • Foreshock
  • First Watch
  • Portside
  • Last Chance (First Impressions, #3)
  • Surprises (Romeo Club #1)
  • Few Are Chosen
  • Lost and Found
  • Master Class (Master Class, #1)
  • Country Mouse (Country Mouse, #1)
  • The Laird's Forbidden Lover
  • A Chip in His Shoulder (Falling Sky, #1)
  • Second Hand (Tucker Springs, #2)
  • Dark Soul Vol. 2 (Dark Soul, #2)
  • Love, Hypothetically (Theta Alpha Gamma, #2)
  • He Is Worthy (Warriors of Rome, #2)
Anne Brooke lives in Surrey, UK. She is a multi-published author in a variety of genres, including gay erotic romance, fantasy, comedy, thrillers, biblical fiction and the occasional chicklit novel. Her fiction has been shortlisted for the Harry Bowling Prize (for novels set in London) and the Royal Literary Fund Scheme.

When not writing, she spends time in the garden attempting to differentiate be
More about Anne Brooke...

Riptide Rentboys: The 2012 Collection (5 books)
  • Priceless (Irresistible Attraction, #1)
  • Cruce de Caminos (Layers of the Otherworld, #0.5)
  • Necessity's Door
  • Riptide Rentboys: The 2012 Collection
The Delaneys And Me (The Delaneys, #1) Entertaining The Delaneys (The Delaneys, #2) The Art of the Delaneys  (The Delaneys, #3) Dating the Delaneys (The Delaneys, #4) The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law, #2)