Start by marking “Coyotes All Around” as Want to Read:
Coyotes All Around

Coyotes All Around (MathStart Level 2)

Clever Coyote thinks it's time for lunch –– and also time to show her friends how, with some simple rounding, she can add up numbers in her head. If only she were as good at hunting as she is at math!
Published August 14th 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Coyotes All Around, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyotes All Around

Lde212_06
Oct 21, 2012 Lde212_06 rated it liked it
Coyotes All Around
Stuart J. Murphy
Grade: 2
Content:
> Observation and estimation are the main to essential components of this book

In this book a group of coyotes is looking for their prey. As they spot potential prey, the observe the prey for a while and then estimate how many there are. This book is a great book to use when explaining how observation and estimation are used in science. In addition to this, it walks the reader through the process of how they estimated and added. Throughout the
Dolly
Jan 31, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've been reading lots of different books in the various MathStart series by Stuart J. Murphy. This book is in the MathStart Level 2 series and introduces the concept of estimation and rounding to children.

The narrative is funny and we loved the funny, snarky coyotes. The math is simple and we enjoyed working out the problems in our head along with the story. The illustrations are fun and help explain the concepts well. We also liked the interesting facts about the animals scattered throughout
Katherine Fountain
Jan 30, 2012 Katherine Fountain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, animals
Rounding can be fun with Coyotes All Around! The coyotes are very hungry and want to eat the road runners for dinner. There is a problem though: what if there is not enough for each coyote? One coyote steps up and decides to round to help him figure out if there will be one road runner for each coyote to eat. Sometimes, the coyote rounds the wrong way and the children were able to correct him while I read this story. I asked them "how did you know that the coyote rounded the wrong way?" The ...more
Brandy
Apr 14, 2012 Brandy rated it really liked it
This book would be great in a classroom for a lesson about rounding. It has likable characters that students will enjoy, and explains rounding in a way that can be demonstrated to the class as the book is being read. I would recommend this this book for 2nd-5th grade since it would work well as a review or introduction. One of the best things about this book is that it has suggested activities in the back that relate to the story and can be implemented in a classroom.
Elizabeth
Mar 09, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This books addresses rounding, and is a great way to either introduce or review the concept, as well teaching students different methods for solving math problems. The book also addresses story problems, because students must listen to understand the context of the problem. Another great way to integrate literacy with a math lesson.
Linh Tong
Nov 21, 2012 Linh Tong rated it really liked it
This book teaches the concept of rounding. After we read the book, I would let students play "Rounding BINGO". They would write tens on their board such as 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc. I will then call out a number such as 37. They will then put a chip on number 40 because 37 rounding to the nearest ten would be 40. This would be a fun way for them to understand the concept of rounding a number.
Kathryn Joyce
Feb 28, 2012 Kathryn Joyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Such a fun book to show rounding. Useful when modeling the rounding along side reading the story. Best used if used to introduce rounding and then re read at the end of the unit. Fun games and lessons in the back to help assess the students.
April Scheivelhud
This was a clever book on using coyotes in their habitat whom are very hungry for lunch. The clever coyote quickly counts up the roadrunners that he will eat for lunch because he knows how to round numbers and add them.
Victoria Clay
Apr 15, 2012 Victoria Clay rated it really liked it
This books discusses rounding in a fun, interesting way. It also includes cool facts about the animals in the story. It gives a visual for rounding to go with what is read. It also has some great activities at the end.
Miriam Garcia
Apr 12, 2010 Miriam Garcia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
Great book to teach about rounding. It makes it easier for children to understand concept of why rounding is useful. A teacher also added a song to go along with the book.
"1,2,3,4 round down. 5,6,7,8,9 Round up...."
Denesha Allen
Dec 03, 2012 Denesha Allen rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This book helps young children with counting. The interesting book keeps the reader's attention. Counting activities would follow the read aloud.
Liliana
Apr 11, 2010 Liliana rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Wonderful book to use to teach rounding. Children will be actively engaged as they try to figure out if "clever coyote" is correct.
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Amy Goldstein
Amy Goldstein rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2013
Western Allegheny
Western Allegheny rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2011
Poornima
Poornima rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2010
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2012
Bethany Salters-Overton
Bethany Salters-Overton rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Casey
Casey rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Vibhuti
Vibhuti rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2014
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Harveen
Harveen rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2008
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Alfajirikali
Alfajirikali rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2010
Andrea L. Sumrall
Andrea L. Sumrall rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart Level 2 (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • Get Up and Go!
  • Elevator Magic (MathStart Level 2)
  • The Best Vacation Ever
  • A Fair Bear Share
  • Animals on Board
  • Super Sand Castle Saturday
  • Spunky Monkeys on Parade
  • Probably Pistachio (MathStart Level 2)
  • Let's Fly a Kite