Start by marking “End This Depression Now!” as Want to Read:
End This Depression Now!

End This Depression Now!

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,657 Ratings  ·  361 Reviews
A call-to-arms from Nobel Prize–winning economist and best-selling author Paul Krugman.

The Great Recession is more than four years old—and counting. Yet, as Paul Krugman points out in this powerful volley, "Nations rich in resources, talent, and knowledge—all the ingredients for prosperity and a decent standard of living for all—remain in a state of intense pain."

How bad h
Published April 30th 2012 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about End This Depression Now!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End This Depression Now!

Bill  Kerwin
May 22, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Have you noticed that "common-sense'" "kitchen table"' economics, when applied to the great world stage, almost always turns out to be wrong? That's because macro-economics is different from micro-economics: a difference in size becomes a difference in kind.

Paul Krugman's specialty is macro-ecomics. Perhaps that is one of the reasons he is often right about big issues--like depression and world-wide financial crises-- when so many others are wrong.

But the thing I like about Krugman, besides the
Trevor
Aug 06, 2012 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
This book is essentially an argument with America’s right. It makes clear what they are doing in forcing America and the world to follow the lunacy of neoliberal economic policies of austerity. It shows that such policies, which turn economics into a morality play, are the main reason for the continued devastation being wrought on the American and world economies. Although I seriously doubt anyone will have the political wherewithal to be able to implement the economic policies outlined here tha ...more
Will Byrnes
Jul 01, 2012 Will Byrnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is what we are living through in the USA at present (2012) a recession, or something worse? And if so what can be done about it? In his latest outstanding book, Paul Krugman argues persuasively that we are indeed in another depression. Not as horrible as the one labeled “Great” but bad enough. He examines how we got to this state, what might be done to get the nation out of this depression, and considers the difficulties entailed with getting that done.

I cannot promise that after reading this b
Dan Raymo
Oct 22, 2012 Dan Raymo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently read Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman's new book, End This Depression Now! It offers a relatively simple solution to alleviate the financial crisis that we're currently in. Before offering this solution however, he provides a fairly concise, yet comprehensive overview of economic theory (excellent for those of us that spent Macroeconomics 101 in a hangover induced stupor) and a complete history of how we came to this point. (Spoiler alert!) Once he detailed how the economy c ...more
Daniel Taylor
Mar 23, 2013 Daniel Taylor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
What if we already knew what works to end the depression and return the world to a state of prosperity?

For Nobel Prize-winner in economics, Paul Krguman, the answer to our current economic problems lies in the works of economists who thought their way through the Great Depression. The economists he has in mind include John Maynard Keynes, Irving Fisher and Hyman Minsky.

Krugman starts with how bad things are now, considers the appropriate Depression Economics – his term for learning economists wh
Hadrian
This is a very incisive summary of the current economic crisis. Oh, if only Krug or Robert Reich were in the Cabinet!

It's hard for me to summarize Krugman's already tight lines of reasoning even further, but here goes.

-The major trend of economic policy of the past thirty years, from Reaganomics to the Bush tax cuts, has been a catastrophe.
-The present hesitance of both borrowers and creditors, leads to decreased demand.
-The deregulation of the financial markets, most notably Glass-Steagall, has
Doris
Sep 09, 2014 Doris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is suck,I think it’s really useless.It can’t help me figure my personal problems out,it can’t relax me,and I’m really regret that I spent so much time and money on this book.I totally can’t stand why so much people said this book is great,just rubbish.It’s just for someone who has so much time and energy and who lose his mind.I am very mad with this book.My friend told me this book,and now I’m break up with her.
Clare O'Beara
Paul Krugman has won a Nobel Prize in economics. Reading this book, which is a plea for governments to pour money into their economies to generate spending, I became convinced that this man may be an expert at accounting and high finance but knows little about world geopolitics. I'm no economist; I'm a small business owner in Ireland. A canary in a coal mine in a marginal economy. So I apologise for sounding in any way disrespectful.

Krugman states that he started to see problems developing in t
Thomas Edmund
Jun 13, 2012 Thomas Edmund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
End This Depression is an objective, positive yet realistic book about how America (and the rest of the struggling world) can work to end the recession that has lasted since 2008.

Krugman is non-partisan, and doesn't hesitate to pull punches where punches are due in discussing political and 'expert' opinion on economics and the recession.

Where End This Depression is refreshing is the novel is very much focussed on solving the problem, something which appears to be missing from the publishing envi
Kevin Cecil
I probably should have actually read END THIS DEPRESSION NOW! instead of listening to the audiobook version. Not only could I not see the multiple charts Krugman cites, but my mind also wanders more easily during the dry segments. I figured I listen to enough political podcasts that I could trust myself to pay attention, but nope. Half way through an explanation on the dangerous economic side effects transferring to the Euro caused Greece and Spain, my stupid brain starts wondering about the las ...more
Aaron Arnold
That the developed world has been caught in a perfectly foreseeable, avoidable, solvable slump for four years now is so stupid it would be funny if it weren't so sad. Millions of man-years have been thrown away as the result of economic policies that shouldn't have passed the laugh test in an age where anyone can pick up a book on the Great Depression and read about what went wrong. Yet here we are, trillions of dollars poorer than we should be, standing by as elected leaders make decisions on f ...more
Ernest
Nov 25, 2015 Ernest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Хорошая книга, как экономисту по образованию, было интересно прочитать.

На доступном языке автор раскладывает по полкам свою теорию о причинах предыдущего кризиса в Америке и в Европе, но думаю и сейчас это актуально.

Основная идея, что в кризис надо больше тратить, чем экономить и резать расходы. "Твой расход - это чей-то доход". Он призывает, не боятся бюджетного дефицита. Здесь у него есть оговорки, которые касаются, например, банковских ставок, в Америки, как мы знаем, они низкие, поэтому там
Adrián Sánchez
Este libro del famoso economista keynesiano ganador del premio nobel del 2008 Krugman se trata de un pequeño ensayo en el cual formula su propuesta para terminar con la depresión que comenzó en el 2008 en la cual se basa en el aumento del gasto público y la creación del empleo. Hace un análisis del origen de la crisis basado en la burbuja hipotecaria y las políticas por parte de la reserva federal basadas en el control del tipo de interés que intentaron disminuir el efecto pero en vano.

Su propue
Brian
This isn't really a three-star book, but I gave it three stars because I've been a reader of Paul Krugman's columns for the last few years now, and basically all the points made in End This Depression Now! are ones that he's been writing about for all that time. The book is all in one place, and it's a continuous narrative with an index, so for people who haven't read Krugman's output, there's plenty of information here.

The basic argument of End This Depression Now! is that the problems with the
Stan Murai
Dec 31, 2013 Stan Murai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author Paul Krugman is a Nobel Prize winner in
Economics, a columnist for the New York Times, and
a professor at Princeton University. He has written
an engaging book on how to end the unemployment crisis
which still includes some 24 million Americans without
jobs or underemployed at depression era rates, even
though the Great Recession technically ended years ago.

The nature of the disaster should not be mysterious at
all; he writes "...in the Great Depression leaders had
an excuse: nobody really u
Bryan
May 12, 2012 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I have more motivation to write my crazy right-wing junior tea party congressman than I've ever had before, and to let him know how unhappy I am with his votes. This motivation has come from the clear reasoning of Krugman. This is not because Krugman is anti-Right, or ultra-Left, but because of how Krugman clearly lays out the intellectual deficiency among politicians as it relates to macroeconomic principles. These leaders are out of their league, and if I were them, I'd ...more
Victoria
Jun 28, 2014 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minor downsides: 1)Sometimes Krugman will explain a concept in one paragraph and finish with a sentence like "But I've probably talked too much about this already, so let's move on." I assume he's acknowledging that his intended audience doesn't need total comprehension of every concept to get the points he makes and so in the spirit of space limitations and attention spans, ushers the crowd forward. To me, it felt more "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

2)Krugman also sneaks in s
Adham Hamdi
Jan 07, 2016 Adham Hamdi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dl
ماذا تفعل الحكومات عندما تحدث ازمة اقتصادية

رد الفعل المتأخر لا يفرق كتير عن رد الفعل الخطا

عدم احكام الررقابة ع الاسواق ادى لازمة 2008 و جشع وول ستريت ايضا

للاسف بقينا ف زمن ممكن دول تجوع و تنتهي لمجرد افلاس بنك و ليس وباء او حرب او زلزال مدمر.

حرية السوق لا تعني تخلي الحكومات عن الرقابة و المشاركة لدفعه للامام كذلك الانفاق وقت الكساد لتشجيع الاخرين

....

العلاج بالصدمة و ترك السوق يحل مشاكله بنفسه لم يعد ف هذا الزمن
....
مرحبا بكينز مرة اخرى
محمود أغيورلي
مقتطفات من كتاب أنْهوا هذا الكساد الآن بول كروجمان
--------------------
الكثير من الأشخاص المهمين — من ساسة ومسئولين حكوميين والشريحة الأكبر من الكتاب والمتحدثين المعبرين عن الأعراف المتبعة — اختاروا، لمختلف الأسباب، أن يتناسوا الدروس المستفادة من التاريخ والاستنتاجات التي توصلتْ إليها التحليلات الاقتصادية على مدى أجيال عدة، ليستعيضوا عن تلك المعرفة التي توصلْنا إليها بشق الأنفس بأحكام مسبقة تتفق مع تحيزاتهم الأيديولوجية والسياسية
------------------------------
تخبرنا أبحاث السعادة أن المال لا يظل ب
R. Hill
Jun 24, 2015 R. Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where are we headed with our economy? Although this book is a couple of years old now I think that it is still an appropriate read. The US economy has not recovered yet and seems unlikely to do so anytime soon.

So what does a Noble Prize winning Economist say we should do to recover? Well the answer is complicated and log winded so get ready for a long obscure explanation.

Krugman paints himself as a partial-Keynesian economist, but in the end his solution is pure Keynesian (pronounced Cane-sian).
Stanley Arthur
Sep 18, 2014 Stanley Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the interest of full disclosure I need to mention that 25% of my reading is what I call "contrarian reading" which is reading books that are diametrically opposed to my financial or political views. A book that challenges my beliefs makes me think harder than a book that simply confirms my beliefs. This sometimes takes the emphatic edge off my opinions. I quoted him on three occasions in my own book. I wanted to spell his name wrong but the editors kept correcting it.
Having said that, Paul Kr
Antonio Dittmann
Prof. Krugman is one of this nation's most underutilized and unheeded national treasures. Many of us, myself among them, hung on his every word when the "Great Recession-we-can't-call-Depression" got started. Some of us lotus eaters even had the crazy idea that he would have been perfect for the job that, sadly, went to Timothy Geithner. It was a case of Wall Street trumping Pennsylvania Avenue. So what's new?

It's one thing when you can honestly say, "I didn't have any way to see this coming."
Carmen
May 21, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as exhaustive as the Stiglitz book (The Price of Inequality), but a more effective argument. Krugman writes persuasive, clear, lucid prose that doesn't tell the reader what to think but rather invites him to contemplate the crises, the issues, and the solutions past and present that might work. He compares our present problems with the crises faced in the 30s with the Great Depression. Besides drawing parallels and suggesting solutions(such as more taxation for the rich, more direct job crea ...more
Doug Orleans
Jul 19, 2012 Doug Orleans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: swing voters...
Not much new for those who have been reading his NY Times columns, but it's good to have the whole story laid out (with an appropriately urgent title). My only quibble is that he tends to demonize the opposition; there may very well be rampant corruption in Congress, but you don't need to posit conspiracy theories to explain the facts (and it may alienate many readers who would otherwise be receptive to the basic Keynesian argument).

And far more damaging than politicians on the take, in my opini
Luis
Apr 22, 2013 Luis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
Bueno... la verdad es que me ha decepcionado.

En este libro el prestigioso economista Krugman nos da una visión distinta a la que estamos acostumbrados a oír todos los días, y nos explica por qué realmente Europa y EEUU están tan mal. Nos afirma también que si la economía tomara un enfoque menos monetarista y más keynesiano las cosas nos irían mejor, y que sólo con revertir los recortes ya recuperaríamos empleo. Da alguna solución más, pero no muchas como prometía.

Está excesivamente enfocado en l
Ian Robertson
May 11, 2012 Ian Robertson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nobel Laureate and frequent New York Times columnist Paul Krugman can come across as a Keynesian crusader. He acknowledges as much in this book, and although he includes the occasional political and professional jibe (taking more shots at the latter than the former), this excellent work should not be seen as a political text at all. End This Depression Now! delivers a timely, well reasoned and well written refutation of the call for austerity and instead an advocation of Keynesian spending as th ...more
peter
Jul 21, 2015 peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: macro-phil
I've read a lot of Krugman before (The Conscience of a Liberal and his blog and columns), so this reinforced a lot of what I knew he would say. Reading through this just seemed like common sense to me, but it's absurd how little policymakers would agree.

Fiscal stimulus, debt forgiveness, increased welfare programs, state relief,... all these things would provide an obvious boon to the economy. But people are so worried about the government debt. Yeah, the debt sounds bad (~ $15 trillion), but th
Heather
Sep 11, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having no formal education in economics some of this was a little over my head, but Krugman makes it palatable to even neophytes like myself. I learned a lot from his descriptive but not at all wonky narrative. My interest in the economy sparked, as it did for many I'm sure, after ours tanked. I like to have a working knowledge of what's going on, what's wrong and how it can be fixed and this book fit the bill. I'm a regular reader of Krugman's New York Times Column and his blog and his predicti ...more
Book
May 02, 2012 Book rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
End This Depression Now! By Paul Krugman

“End This Depression Now!” is the plea that makes the persuasive case that we indeed have the knowledge and tools to get out this depression. Nobel prize-winning economist and best-selling author Paul Krugman provides his usual intellectual clarity and sound suggestions on how best to end this economic depression. This is a proactive book, the author lays out what needs to be done and how it can be done while acknowledging the opposition to his arguments.
Alexis Tatore
End This Depression Now! by Paul Krugman

The impending fiscal cliff looms over the nation. America collectively fears spiked taxes, sequestration, and a double-dip recession. Policy makers have been debating how to reduce the federal deficit while ensuring future prosperity. Paul Krugman, a Nobel Laureate in economics, offers a unique solution: disregard debt, increase federal spending, and commence inflation.
Krugman, a professor at Princeton University and writer for the New York Times, relate
The Pequod : End This Depression Now! by Paul Krugman 1 7 May 29, 2015 05:28AM
Republicans are Traitors 1 28 May 12, 2012 07:34AM
  • The Great Divergence: America's Growing Inequality Crisis and What We Can Do about It
  • Freefall: America, Free Markets, and the Sinking of the World Economy
  • It's the Middle Class, Stupid!
  • ECONned: How Unenlightened Self Interest Undermined Democracy and Corrupted Capitalism
  • The Big Con: The True Story of How Washington Got Hoodwinked and Hijacked by Crackpot Economics
  • Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right
  • Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future
  • It's Even Worse Than It Looks: How the American Constitutional System Collided With the Politics of Extremism
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
  • Predator Nation: Corporate Criminals, Political Corruption, and the Hijacking of America
  • Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea
  • The Fifteen Biggest Lies about the Economy: And Everything Else the Right Doesn't Want You to Know about Taxes, Jobs, and Corporate America
  • Bailout: An Inside Account of How Washington Abandoned Main Street While Rescuing Wall Street
  • Zombie Economics: How Dead Ideas Still Walk Among Us
  • The New New Deal: The Hidden Story of Change in the Obama Era
  • Showdown: The Inside Story of How Obama Fought Back Against Boehner, Cantor, and the Tea Party
  • Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress--and a Plan to Stop It
  • Who Stole the American Dream? Can We Get It Back?
Paul Robin Krugman is an American economist, liberal columnist and author. He is Professor of Economics and International Affairs at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University, Centenary Professor at the London School of Economics, and an op-ed columnist for The New York Times. In 2008, Krugman won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics for his contributions ...more
More about Paul Krugman...

“It was only with the crisis that debt soared.
Yet many Europeans in key positions - especially politicians and officials in Germany, but also the leadership of the European Central Bank and opinion leaders throughout the world of finance and banking - are deeply committed to the Big Delusion, and no amount of contrary evidence will shake them. As a result, the problem of dealing with the crisis is often couched in moral terms: nations are in trouble because they have sinned, and they must redeem themselves through suffering.
And that's a very bad way to approach the actual problems Europe faces.”
3 likes
“There's another element in the euro crisis, another weakness of a shared currency, that took many people, myself included, by surprise. It turns out that countries that lack their own currency are highly vulnerable to self-fulfilling panic, in which the efforts of investors to avoid losses from default end up triggering the very default they fear.” 3 likes