Start by marking “Bright Side Up: 100 Ways to Be Happier Right Now” as Want to Read:
Bright Side Up: 100 Ways to Be Happier Right Now

Bright Side Up: 100 Ways to Be Happier Right Now

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
You don't need to reinvent your whole life to be happier-you just need to turn it bright side up!

We all have those days when life could use a lift. Enter Bright Side Up, a clever and comforting compendium to help you shift your perspective and appreciate what's right in front of you. With the warmth and wisdom of a dear friend, this deceptively simple guide offers emergenc
Published February 7th 2012 by Penguin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Bright Side Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Side Up

Amy Spencer
Jan 23, 2012 Amy Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is awesome. But then, I did write it. Seriously though, I'm truly proud of this book, and I hope it helps change the way you look at the life you have in a happier, more hopeful way.
Kristen
May 14, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a friendly, helpful book, centered around this key: "you don't have to change your life to be happier - you just need to change how you see your life to be happier."

Easier said than done, true, but doable with practice. I'm certain that I'm better at it now than I used to be, and this book offers accessible tips - tips you may already know, but none of us know them so well that we don't need regular reminders. That's what self-help books and church are for. The problem, as with most sel
Taryn
Jun 06, 2013 Taryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked a lot of this book, but also felt that, at many points through it, the author was way out of touch with reality. For example, praising her friend who overslept and missed his flight and had to pay $1000 extra dollars to get a different flight b/c he had a good attitude about it. For me, I don't have, or have access to an extra $1000, so I can't just say oh well. I just wouldn't be able to go and would lose out on the flight I missed. Or telling folks to treat themselves after a hard day ...more
Trevor
Mar 17, 2016 Trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Harris
Mar 11, 2012 Kathy Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was born a pessimist, a cynic, a realist. I can't say that this book has changed that about myself, but it DID really help me see how I can at least try to reprogram the part of my brain that immediately hits the Eeyore button when things go wrong in my life. It's a good read and not preachy at all. Loved it and will reread when I'm feeling like the universe is against me!
Leah K
Jun 03, 2012 Leah K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Bright Side Up: 100 Ways to be Happier Right Now by Amy Spencer

The point of this book is pretty much: You don't have to completely change your life to be happier – you just need to change how you see life to be happier. And with practice, it will become easier.

I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway and went into this with an open mind since self-help books are not normally my cup of tea. And while I didn't find anything life-altering in this book, I did find it fun and uplifting. It was an
Sarah Adamson
Not my normal choice of book, I was asked to review its usefulness for the school library.
This is a book filled with common sense ideas on how to turn your day sunny side up, how to see the good despite bad, how to approach life more positively.
I heartily embrace all those ideas and more.
I have to agree with some other reviewers though that some of her solutions are pricey, many are unobtainable for the average person or are just pushing things hard.
It's great to see a positive in every situa
Kolumbina
Feb 08, 2015 Kolumbina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loooooooooooved this book. Light reading but there is so much truth and reality in this book. And thank you Amy Spencer for making me laugh. I enjoyed in little stories about Todd, his stories and phone enquires and his advices. Definitely a good feeling book and a book that makes sense. And applicable in my own life.
Thank you Kanch for recommending this book.
Hanna
Mar 04, 2013 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy Spencer is the best friend you've never met. The way she dishes out advice makes you seem like you've known her forever. So in turn, you trust and believe everything she's saying to you. If you find yourself in the gloom of winter (much like I did the month of February), pick up this book. You can read all at once, or by various chapters.

And since Amy is such a great friend, she's even bolded key statements from each chapter ensuring you hear her message. Much like your current BFF would.
Darcy
Jan 16, 2014 Darcy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is packed with several ideas on how to change your thinking, thereby making you happier.

There's a lot of good suggestions. Unfortunately, I didn't find them helpful. They're were 4 that I could use in my life.
Katrina
First Read Win

This book was very interesting. I loved how it gave you ways to be happier. I feel this book was helpful and many people would love to read it. Also that it could help so many. In my opinion this book is one that you read each section at different times not all in one reading.
Chelsea
This book is a guide of sorts: 100 ways to be happier right now. I usually stay away from optimistic self-help books, but this was a good one with some useful tips. Plus, it was a genuinely interesting read! Tells you not to change your life, but how you look at it- refreshing!
Susan Rits
Sep 19, 2012 Susan Rits rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a happy book, for sure. Great, practical advice about getting happy dealing with the daily frustrations we all face. If everyone read this book and used these tips, what a happy world we'd all live in.
Allison Pizel
A good book to pick up and read in short spurts when you're pissed off at the world and all the dummies that you encounter out there in the world. :)
Amy Santiago
Feb 12, 2013 Amy Santiago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Easy to read. Highlighted almost everything. Its not about the circumstances in our lives, its about how we decide to look at them.
Germin Koh
Jul 17, 2013 Germin Koh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly motivating and inspirational read which taught methods and ways of looking at life in the bright side! :D
Kelley Short
May 11, 2013 Kelley Short rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I come back to it all the time. Definitley a good read and a good pick-me-up book!
Margaret
Dec 29, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth keeping on the shelf and reading sections again to keep the thought fresh in your mind.
Zinnia
Jun 01, 2012 Zinnia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a great guide in how to look at the brighter side of life which leads to one's happiness
Jul 29, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good reminder in ways we can find joy each day through simple things in life.
Rachelle
Great positive advice to see the bright side and be happier.
Denise
Feb 11, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple inspiring stuff! I went to Amazon and bought it!
Amy
Jun 22, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very up beat and feel good type of book!
Kate
Apr 08, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took 6-7 pages of notes! GREat read!!!
Kelly Deriemaeker
Jun 03, 2012 Kelly Deriemaeker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, erg inspirerend.
Diego Parada Herrera
Diego Parada Herrera marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Lizhaoming
Lizhaoming marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Jo Bracci
Jo Bracci marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
  • Awkward: A Survival Guide for When All You Can Do Is Cringe
  • The Sky Conducting
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • Awakening the Brain: The Neuropsychology of Grace
  • Attention All Passengers: The Airlines' Dangerous Descent—And How To Reclaim Our Skies
  • Great Grammar Book
  • Celebritrees: Historic & Famous Trees of the World
  • The Art of War from Smartercomics
  • Vivian Maier: Out of the Shadows
  • The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
  • You Were Never in Chicago
  • Everyone Loves a Good Train Wreck: Why We Can't Look Away
  • A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on the Planet
  • The Cryptos Conundrum
  • The Unlikely Secret Agent
  • Grace: Thirty Years Of Fashion At Vogue.
  • The 10 Things You Need to Eat: And More Than 100 Easy and Delicious Ways to Prepare Them
  • New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist