Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Tome 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Tome 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Tome 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist #4)

4.56  ·  Rating Details ·  8,164 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
Un grand pouvoir a parfois de dramatiques conséquences. Après de terribles révélations concernant la pierre philosophale, Edward et Alphonse sont plus déterminés que jamais à percer le secret du laboratoire numéro 5. Ils y trouvent deux adversaires de taille qui, tout comme Alphonse, sont des armures auxquelles on a affixé une âme. Affaiblis tant physiquement que moralemen ...more
Published January 12th 2006 by Kurokawa (first published January 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Tome 04, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Tome 04

Mal
Mar 13, 2016 Mal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

it's a terrible day for rain.

Kogiopsis
This is at once both my favorite volume and one I can't stand. A testimony to the writing and characterization, I suppose, but that doesn't mean I don't quietly resent it.

(view spoiler)
Nərmin
God , I adored this manga! I am enjoying this greatly!
Wow, mangaka did great job maintaining both funny and sad moments. And the sad moment when (view spoiler) . It was so sad...
Lizet
Sep 11, 2016 Lizet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2016
Hum. No me esperaba sentir tantas cosas con este volumen. Me agarraron totalmente desprevenida.

Radwa
Jun 09, 2016 Radwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hughes! :'(

It seems that whenever the brothers get close to solving something, something happens that sends them to square one. Of course, this should happen, or how else can the manga continue. I absolutely loved the extra omakes at the end of this volume. Also, this manga is making me sympathize with some of the bad guys. good job on the characterization and story building.

King Haddock
Mary
This volume was so good (Maes Hughes!! And I thought I was prepared after what happened with Nina and Alexander), and the wait for volume 5 from my library was so long that I gave up and watched the anime (Brotherhood, not the first version)....and now I have no way to coherently speak about this series, I love it so much. The family relationship! Ed and his absolute devotion to getting Al his body back! Al and his conviction that he won't let others suffer in his quest to get back to normal! Co ...more
Devan, Sarcasm Expert
Dec 27, 2012 Devan, Sarcasm Expert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Celine
Oh my god. This one won me over. There is this one heartbreaking scene in this manga - I'm sure other readers will know what I'm talking about - that is just so good. Absolutely fantastic panelling. I'm glad we get to see some more brother dynamics in this volume.
Maria Kaye
Jan 13, 2015 Maria Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
For some reason I've always felt bad when the slicer brothers died :/
Mike
4.5/5

I'm still very much enjoying this series, and this is probably my favorite volume so far. It's odd - there's very little action in this volume, but the overall plot is very engaging. I'm still kind of shocked that something this subtle and character-oriented is so widely popular, especially considering the other manga that gets well-known. But maybe people are just sensing quality. Arakawa is, after all, a supremely good author. Her eye for dialogue and character interactions is quite remar
Janeen-san
May 04, 2011 Janeen-san rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY!!!!! I have at last succeeded at getting my hands (alas, no auto-mail) on the 4th volume of Fullmetal Alchemist! I'm so happy! I swept through this very awesome volume in one day!!!
Now #SPOILER# when Hughes died in the tv series, I cried my eyes out, something I'd never thought I'd do. Ever. BUT I did! Ahhhhh I miss him. Rest in piece Mr Awesomness :(
But when I came across the scene of his death in the manga...I CRIED! Not as much as I did when I saw it on TV, but my cheeks ended up ver
নাজমুল হাসান
The brothers get into a fight, but then reconciles. Their rivalry and bond was revealed fully in this volume. We get to see the cute little angel Elicia, daughter of Maes Hughes. He just fawns over her and is a really overprotective father. He discovers some really important link between the uprisings around the country and the military's involvement with it. The rest I won't reveal, but this in my opinion is one of the most tragic volume. Prepare a box tissue beforehand, you have been warned. T ...more
Kellie
Jul 21, 2016 Kellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As expected, this volume was so good!
Lottie
Hughes. :(
Bitsy
After the horrific events in volume 3 the Elric brothers spend most of volume 4 recovering from their wounds whether physical, mental or emotional. Laboratory 5 is destroyed and in its aftermath Ed is hospitalized with serious wounds and Al is left reeling from the words of doubt planted by Barry the Chopper. Winry also makes another appearance to fix Ed’s auto-mail arm with the missing bolt. Both brothers have time to reflect on their actions both past and present and in some cases are given a ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jun 22, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 4 by Hiromu Arakawa is the last of the manga volumes that parallels the first anime series. However, the pacing here is more abrupt than what fans of the anime might be expecting.

I'm speaking primarily of Maes Hughes. So much of his character in the manga is built in the after story extras that people reading just the actual chapters will be shocked at how quickly his story arc plays out.

For the most part my favorite version of Fullmetal Alchemist is the original manga
Becky
Mar 08, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Hmmm, a military man who adores his wonderful wife and baby daughter. Either he will die or they will.
*flip*
Well, at least it was him and not the women.

The military dog short at the end was the best part of this one. More Hawkeye and Mustang please, and less of *waves hand* all of this.
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
I loved this volume. Some of its scenes have been stuck in my mind since I first saw the anime...

I love this entire story, with all its details and intricate plots and its way of tugging heartstrings.
Mriveravelez4
May 31, 2015 Mriveravelez4 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edward Elric wanted to know about the philosopher's stone and others can't let him find out, but when he finds an alchemy laboratory he fights a soul which tries to tell him what it does but the enemy strikes. So he fights another alchemist which defeats him and destroys the label almost killing him. Then he does not give up on his search but has to get stronger first and goes back to his memories. Fullmetal alchemist is about courage, strength, and love.
Daniel Garcia
Sep 07, 2016 Daniel Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like funny that woman gun kill dog scared love always do I do just in police many captain reason have magic just that rally ?
Ava
May 02, 2016 Ava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Winry and cats in armor. Perfect
Diana Lynn
Jan 17, 2015 Diana Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga
Ugh...I was dreading when it would come and here was: the sadness...when I watched the original FMA, I was sad, in Brotherhood, I cried and same here. This volume is my favorite one yet. I love the beginning which swung over from volume 3's cliffhanger, and the hospital, birthday, and Hughes stuff in the middle was hilarious. The end was PAIN...he was my favoriteeee (other than Mustang gyeaaa)...I was thankful for the extras at the very end seeing the little dog (aw) and the comic strips with ou ...more
Yoda Bor
Mar 29, 2016 Yoda Bor rated it it was amazing
Le tome 3 s’était terminé sur un cliffhanger assez insoutenable dans le laboratoire numéro 5.
On avait Al, dehors, en train de se battre contre le Boucher, mais surtout Ed, à l’intérieur, qui se retrouvait face à Envy et Lust.

Les choses se décantent finalement assez vite et ce quatrième tome ressemble plus à une transition, avec bien moins d’action que précédemment.
Ce n’est pas pour autant qu’il en est moins intéressant, loin de là.

Les révélations vont bon train puisqu’on apprend dès le début que
Ernest
Aug 08, 2011 Ernest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The funeral scene in this volume is one of most heartbreaking funeral scenes I have read in a long time. This was only possible through well crafted characters and plot that made the reader care about the lives of the characters more than just two dimensional representational ink on a page. This, combined with continuing adventures of the Elric brothers and yet more revelations about the deeper plot, make this a great volume in the series.
ladywallingford
Jul 03, 2011 ladywallingford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piper
Jun 13, 2015 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga
HUGHES QAQ
Camilla (Lettrice In Soffitta)
Molti dettagli in questo volume avrebbero potuto essere ben migliori. L'albo è il perfetto esempio di molti pro e molti contro. Partendo da pro, vi è un pro alquanto moscio. Le solite ombre di una trama futura lanciate qua e là, una scoperta improvvisa ma non rilevata, la morte di alcuni personaggi che avrebbero potuto rivelare la verità facendo terminare il manga entro due volumi. I contro? La velocità eccessiva e la poco caratterizzazione. Certo, per chi ha seguito entrambe le versione degli a ...more
Miko (kimosumiko)

I always like to imagine this happens later on in the series, much later. Or never at all.
Jeffrey
Because I saw the anime first, the pacing of this volume seems a bit off for me. Certain events feel out of order, indeed a particular event happens "too soon". Nevertheless, another strong outing and another worthy read.
  • Bleach, Volume 13
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 11
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 12 (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE #12)
  • Death Note, Vol. 10: Deletion (Death Note, #10)
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 09

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and du
More about Hiromu Arakawa...

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)

“Roy: "Looks like it's starting to rain"

Riza: "But..It's not raining..."

Roy: "Yes it is. This is the rain.”
147 likes