Start by marking “Simmer (Midnight Fire, #2)” as Want to Read:
Simmer (Midnight Fire, #2)

Simmer (Midnight Fire #2)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  2,547 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Slowly, like a whisper almost blown away in the wind, two words streaked across her mind: 'Kiss me.'

Kira may have survived the eclipse, but her troubles are far from over. She's headed to Sonnyville with one goal in mind: to learn more about her parents. But with Luke and Tristan competing for her heart and Diana gunning for her head, time is running out on the search for
Published April 3rd 2012 by Kaitlyn Davis

To ask other readers questions about Simmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simmer

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best Books Ever.... Young Adult
204th out of 392 books — 473 voters
When Pigs Fly by Bob SanchezLittle Mountain by Bob SanchezThe Steward by Christopher  ShieldsGetting Lucky by Bob SanchezDivorce Hotel by B.R.  Snow
Best Indie Books to Read in 2012
269th out of 964 books — 1,178 voters

More lists with this book...

May 08, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apr-2012
I bought this book last night before going to bed. I woke up this morning and started reading, and could not stop! So, my husband is coming home to a messy house and no clean laundry today... Ms. Davis' books should come with a maid service.
Anyhoo, this story gets better and better. If you are looking for an engrossing series with a strong heroine and a couple of hot gentlemen vying for her attention, do yourself a big favor and pick up Ignite and Simmer.
Jul 08, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
This is book two in the ‘midnight fire’ series, and kicks off a few months after the end of book one – Ignite. **Warning: unavoidable spoilers for book 1 – Ignite**
Kira has recovered from her coma, and has had time to graduate from school. Now she’s going off to a conduit town to get in some training over the summer, to learn how to control her power, and to learn how best to use it when fighting vampires. Her best friend Luke who is als
Apr 15, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
I recently read the first book in this series, Ignite, and while I had been disappointed with the unedited quality of it, I was interested in following the story through with Simmer.

I was pleasantly surprised by the change in quality between the two books. While the grammar and spelling weren't flawless in Simmer, the mistakes didn't distract me from the story.

I like the direction this series is going. While some parts were predictable and very typical of the genre, (view spoiler)
Apr 19, 2012 NayNay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-ya
Once again Kaitlyn Davis gives us a top notch story, SIMMER is book two in the Midnight Fire series. The story takes Kira to Sonnyville where she goes to look for answers to what happened to her mother. While she is looking for answers and has her sights on destroying Diana, Luke and Tristan are there to help her. And of course, the love triangle continues.
I really like were this series is going. I like how the characters are growing and the storyline continues with easy flow and fast-pace acti
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
May 07, 2012 Aimee (Getting Your Read On) rated it really liked it
Simmer is the second book in the thrilling Midnight Fire Series.

I'm so excited that Kaitlyn asked me to do follow up review with Simmer. I really enjoyed reading Ignite and was really looking forward to following Kira into the next part of her story.

You want action? Check.
You want a steamy kiss or two? Check.
You want vampires? Check.
You want some hot guy competition? Check.

I'm telling you, Simmer was good. I'm loving Kira's conduit power and her link with Luke. Just not saying anymore there bec
May 04, 2012 Brittany rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-read
* I was given a free copy of this book for review purposes. The review is based solely on my opinion and was not influenced by author or publisher.

In the second installment of the Midnight Fire series Kira is off to Sonnyville, the Protector colony in Florida. The council wants to see what she is made of and if, like the history books say, they have anything to fear from her existence.

Simmer is definitely a step up from Ignite in which the editing errors were numerous and they actually detracte
Cocktails and Books
I enjoyed this spin on the teenage vampire story. There were times when I had to remind myself not to compare it to other vampire stories, but it had enough of a unique twist that I could.

Kira Dawson finds herself starting a new school South Carolina her senior year of high school. She's not sure what to expect, after having spent seventeen years in New York City, but she finally living with her family, so she's giving it a try.

She immediately meets Luke, who makes it his personal mission to be
Jessica Bierschied
Jun 20, 2012 Jessica Bierschied rated it really liked it
SIMMER, by Kaitlyn Davis is the second installment of the Midnight Fire series that follows Kira on her journey to learn more about herself, her family and the things that go bump in the night. This installment is even more action packed and amps up the romance/steaminess as well!

First off, I would like to start by saying that from first novel to second novel was a huge difference. The quality and the writing improved greatly, so I must say I was impressed with Davis.

I love and hate how fast o
Liz at Fictional Candy
Jun 28, 2012 Liz at Fictional Candy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire, ya

Simmer starts with Kira packing for “conduit boot camp” as she calls it, a few months after Ignite ends. Luke and Kira are going to Sonnyville for a couple months. Of course, Tristan can’t go. I mean, it is a whole town of vampire killers. So instead Tristan is going to hunt down Diana. Right away I am saddened by Kira and Tristan’s goodbye. I just don’t want them to be apart. When you get a couple you really like, you want them to be together. And besides, at this point, I’m not entirely sure I
Heather Boustead
Book Two of the Midnight Fire Series
By Kaitlyn Davis

Kira was born with a special ability she is able to harness the power of the sun and use it to defeat vampires. Kira travels with her guardian and best friend, Luke, to Sonneyville home of a large group of protector conduits to hopefully learn how to control at least half of her powers since she is the only person alive who was born to a protector and punisher the two factions within the conduit community. Once Sonnyville is attacked by
Lenore Webb
Jul 04, 2012 Lenore Webb rated it it was amazing
I had to finish reading Kaitlyn Davis book Simmer. This is the second book in her trilogy of Kira. The first one, Ignite, I finished last night. Kaitlyn Davis introduced us to Kira and her back story there. We met Luke and Tristen too. But best was that we were let on to the secret world of conduits and the vampires they rally against. Kaitlyn set up a different set of rules that vampires live by. They can live in sunshine and do not eat the blood of animals. But they also have to be wary of the ...more
Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

This is a mini review, as I did review of all 4 at once, so just giving my thoughts on them, in depth review is on book one.

I loved this book even more than the first one Ignite, I loved watching Kira mature and grow into her powers.

The relationships between her, Luke and Tristin are still going, won’t say much there.

Over all, a great continuation of the series. Love the cover on this one, more unique to the story, and looks cool. Much better than all the others.

5 out of 5 stars.

I highly recomme
Jessica Salt
Aug 10, 2012 Jessica Salt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The book Simmer was a really good story. I like how her powers grew stronger. She learned to controlled them when she had killed Diana. It was awesome to see Diana beg for her life when Kira was killing her. She was real nasty bitchy vampire. I say she deserved to die. I did enjoy every moment of it. I know your Midnight Fire Series are way different from Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Saga series. The only thing that reminded me of Twilight was when Kira falls for a vampire name Tristan. Her best f ...more
Aug 23, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
I liked it enough, i just hate love triangles. I will probably read the next one and see who she chooses. But she better choose quick because i have no patience for stupidity.
Nov 18, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it
Excellent read! Just when Kira begins to find inner acceptance and confidence with her newly discovered abilities and past, her world shifts again. Going to Sonneyville to meet the Council of conduits and find her place among her kind over the summer is supposed to bring answers, but instead it seems to raise more questions. When her presence threatens the safety of the Sonneyville conduits, she decides to take control of the situation and seek out those threatening her as well as seek out the t ...more
I just threw my "Twilight" books in the trash. I no longer need them now that i have this AWSOME series!!!! I'm seriousily considering naming my first child TRISTIAN!!! I love this vampire. So dark and sad on the outside. But then on the inside a sweet, sensative, protective, and lovable man. Why don't they exsit in real life? Any who this book was even better than the first. While i love the relationship Kira and Luke have. I defenalty want them to stay b.f.f's. Now that she can read his mind i ...more
Raina {The LUV'NV}
** WARNING: Spoilers of book one **

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Mini review:
Simmer picks up a few months after Ignite , and we get the Protector Conduit community! Kira flies down to Sonnyville with Luke to learn how to control her power and to learn more about her parents. But she doesn't know how the community will take her half-breed status, even though they're Protectors—the segment of the Conduits who vied for her life when the other segment, the Punishers, wanted to kill her, and still mig
Mar 09, 2013 Corey rated it it was amazing
This is no Twilight copycat. I enjoyed this book more than Ignite (book 1). The only reasons for this is that it started fast and stayed exciting pretty much throughout the whole book. Also the writing and editing where better. In this story Kira has one thing and one thing only on her mind. Where is her mother and could she really still be alive? Kira is summoned by the council to Sonnyville, the conduit community that her mother is from. Luke her best friend is also from there and accompanies ...more
Kira continues her relationship with Tristan, while realizing that her friendship of Luke is slightly fractured when his feelings for her are revealed. Feeling like she is having losing her best friend, Kira focuses on her training and begins to realize her gift as a conduit is unparalled and that Luke seems to be her anchor. Kira finds herself embroiled in a vampire attack and following a lead in finding her mother, who others believe is dead.

Exciting series. Kira is a bit unpredictable and oft
Maghon Thomas
And we’re getting even deeper. After everyone barely escapes in the last book with their lives, it’s time to meet half of Kira’s “people”. All the while trying to find her mom, dealing with crazy vampers, deal with new powers, and not to mention those to HAWT pieces of male lol! I absolutely loved this next installment! It’s fast paced, it’s a little heart wrenching, it’s full of action and suspense and it’s just gets better!

I’m seeing character growth in Kira, which I like, and I still feel tha
Apr 21, 2013 Cat rated it really liked it
Ah - this book really does simmer. While there is quite a bit of action regarding the vamps and the Protectors, the love triangle is really what got me.

My biggest hesitation about this book is that the heroine, Kira, doesn't overcome many (enough?) obstacles IMHO. She is just so powerful that she blows everyone else out of the...fireplace. She is literally unrivaled by anyone. Kira is pretty interesting in that she really takes everything to heart. Her "black sheep-ness" has really seeped in to
May 14, 2013 Crissy rated it it was amazing
“Simmer” picks up right where “Ignite” leaves off. Kira and Luke travels to Sonneyville where she will train and learn the ways of the Conduits. It isn’t long before she realizes there’s more in Sonneyville than training. She meets someone; it’s an unexpected surprise that leaves her hurt in more ways than one. Tristian is still trying to find Diana and when trouble comes to Kira in Sonneyville it’s up to her to help protect the conduits and their family members that are in danger because of her ...more
Jun 03, 2013 MadLoveBookBlog rated it liked it
This second book has not been bad but slow.

While I was reading, my subconscious was telling me”something is wrong here” I’ve heard her quite a few times and I don’t know why it took me a while to finally recognize my discomfort.
First of all, as I said before in my short review of “Ignite” the story is nothing new…which I can understand since many minds can think alike hence, the similarity on the story give or take different situations but very similar plot.

However, this is not where my uneas
Karissa Keith
Oct 03, 2013 Karissa Keith rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it!
I personally believe the first book in this series smoothly transitioned into this one, without a lot of confusion like most series. I also feel like there's was the same amount of thrilling mystery, and suspense it just moved a little slower in this novel, but there was a lot more information that was added into this story Vs.The last one so its suspected.
* I feel caught in the middle of this love triangle myself! I can totally understand why she likes Tristan, he's dark, handsom
Oct 14, 2013 Terisa rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more than book 1. Mostly because none of it reminded me of another book. Kira also learns to really kick some butt!

Kira has survived the attack from Diana and her boys. She has been summoned by the council to go to Sonnyville, FL to meet with the council, learn their ways as well as to continue her training with Luke. When she first gets there though she is met with apprehension and fear by most because they do not know what to expect. During her first meeting with the counc
Aug 06, 2014 Luana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was way better than the first one I have to say.

The story developed better and the character emotions were not so dull. The plot progressed well and there was no inconsistencies or situations that made the characters seem stupid.

Kira! She is no longer afraid of her power and her character progressed a little. I love that she is a kick-ass girl that takes charge of her own emotions and is not afraid to get her hands dirty.

Tristan.. I think there is some things about him that we don't
Jan 28, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The complete midnight fire series
By: Author Kaitlyn Davis
Reviewed by: Laura Tolbert @ Laura's Blogspoteverythinggoes

I loved this series so much, Kira is such a strong lead and Tristan, is the smexy bad boy whom is redeemed because of the love he and Kira share. Throw in Luke, Kira's best friend, magic, mystery, powers that is coveted by many and people who want to kill you for what you are. This series is one of my go to series, I have a one page list of books and of authors that I re-read wh
Oct 25, 2015 Dawn rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, freebie
The protagonist is a Mary Sue--super-powerful, with a huge destiny and two perfect boys in love with her. She's never in any real danger because her powers are so strong, and she can instantly heal people, even large numbers of people, so no one around her is in danger, either.

I thought things were going to go to a very dark place and I would have relished seeing that happen, but I feel the opportunity was squandered at the end and nothing really worked out.

I won't be reading any more of this
Nov 01, 2015 Mo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apr 16, 2016 Dorian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is Wow!. This book was so much fun to read. There were times when I laughed out loud until I was in tears for laughing so hard. The mental image of the tall dark Tristan with a t-shirt of a puppy in a Darth Vader costume was too much. I laughed until I cried. It happened again with the mental picture of tall lanky and somewhat goofy Luke stripping in a thong to pay for food made me lose it again. I love that the main characters have evolved so much. The passion between Tristan and ...more
  • Kindled (The Kindred, #3)
  • Unattainable (An Affliction Novel #2)
  • WitchCraft (Witchblood, #2)
  • Ambrosia Shore (The Water Keepers, #3)
  • Exalted (Stained, #4)
  • Darkness Breaks (Darkness Falls, #2)
  • Fire with Fire (Demonblood, #2)
  • The Forbidden Trilogy (The Forbidden Trilogy #1-3)
  • Punished (Arelia LaRue, #2)
  • The Secret Trinity: Ignite (Fae-Witch, #2)
  • Empyreal Fate
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • Forbidden Life (Forbidden, #3)
  • Varick: The Reluctant
  • Taken (Ava Delaney #4)
Bestselling author Kaitlyn Davis writes young adult fantasy novels under the name Kaitlyn Davis and contemporary romance novels under the name Kay Marie. To learn more about her contemporary romance novels, visit her Goodreads author page for Kay Marie here:

Always blessed with an overactive imagination, Kaitlyn has been writing ever since she picked up her first
More about Kaitlyn Davis...

Midnight Fire (4 books)
  • Ignite (Midnight Fire, #1)
  • Blaze (Midnight Fire, #3)
  • Scorch (Midnight Fire, #4)

“Kira... the Flaming Tomato” 4 likes