Start by marking “A Dangerous Expectation (The Gentlemen Next Door, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Expectation (The Gentlemen Next Door, #3)

A Dangerous Expectation (The Gentlemen Next Door #3)

In the cloistered English countryside, an improbable couple will defy expectation.

Miss Cassandra Drummond, shipping heiress and consummate shut-in, flees London and the hectic to-do of her sister's upcoming nuptials. She wants a quiet summer away from everyone, especially marriage-seeking fortune hunters.

She doesn't expect Mr. Gray Abernathy to prove dangerous to her impre
Published March 28th 2012 by Gray Life, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Expectation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Expectation

Tabby
Apr 02, 2016 Tabby rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, e-book
THE REVIEW

Why this book?
I wanted to read more from Cecilia Gray

What I thought

This was a nice little story. I really liked the characters. Just wished it was longer the romance happened way too fast, and it would've been better if the story went a little deeper.

Becca
Aug 27, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it
I was traveling and staying in a hotel room and I needed a pick-me-up. I always turn to Cecilia Gray's novellas when I have a short time to read and need something to make me smile.

This is a short, sweet story about two people that don't quite fit in to society for completely different reasons, but by chance are compromised and forced to marry and find that they are perfect for each other. They even have some nerdy moments together :)

I wished this was longer! Each of these characters was very in
Farrah
Sep 11, 2014 Farrah rated it really liked it
Another lovely novella in the Gentlemen Next Door series, A Dangerous Expectation was a sweet read. I really liked this light, quick novella, and I really enjoyed it.

Cassandra was a great heroine. She was extremely smart and didn't always say the most appropriate thing, which made her self-conscious in society. But, as the book went on, she became more confident and proved herself as a capable character. Gray was very sweet, but I didn't get a lot from his character, But, I still liked him as we
Janeka
Dec 18, 2015 Janeka rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: e-ARC provided by Gray Life, LLC through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Quotes may not appear in the final edition.

Rating: 2,5 stars

In Victorian London social scene, Cassandra Drummond is the older daughter of an important business man who is a little short on money. Conveniently, the answer to this economic issue stands right next door, in the shape of Gray Abernathy - a man with tawny hair and golden eyes, open and curious and fixed on her – lying on the couch.

Miss Ca
Lady
This b00k is a continuation of the Drummond sisters. The baby sister, Cassandra has decided to leave London for the quiet of the country. She has become very popular with the gentlemen since her sister got engaged. The suitor are lining up at the door to pay call to her so they could be the next person to share's in their company. But Cassandra escapes or so she thinks.

Lord Gary Abernathy was disowned by his family when he refused to do as his father wished him to do. So he has been living with
Dana
Sep 17, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it
This was probably my favourite novella so far in The Gentlemen Next Door series. This was a really fun read, and although I found the characters to be lacking in realism I still really enjoyed this short story.

Note: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
Shilpa
Nov 03, 2016 Shilpa rated it really liked it
This is the novella from the series I liked the most. Even in this short description the characters seemed well-crafted. The end, as usual, is abrupt but not as much as the previous novellas. I would have liked to see this whole series a little longer in length than it really was.
Sophia
Oct 02, 2014 Sophia rated it really liked it
This third installment of the Gentlemen Next Door series was finished in a wink and a blink, but it still packed a good plot and engaging characters into it for all that.

This story is about Cassandra Drummond, the sister of the previous heroine. Cassandra is on the eccentric side so she tries to stay out of the way of popular society while she pounds away at her creative engineering designs for the family company. Unfortunately, the side effect to Chastity's upcoming high society nuptials to her
Emily (Book Jems)
As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!

If you haven't noticed by now, I love Cecilia Gray and her work.

A Dangerous Expectation is different from its prequels. Partially because things happened very fast in this story. It was strange to me, but it seems very realistic for that time period. It was the perfect beginning for this couple, even if they didn't think so.

Right off the bat, I loved Cassandra Drummond. She's forward, yet innocent and sweet. She reminds me a lot of myself. She's awkward with men an
Laura Greenwood
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

COYER mini challenge! 3 Historical Romances in 3 Weeks (hosted by (un)Conventional Book Reviews)

I received a copy of A Dangerous Expectation, book 3 of The Gentlman Next Door, from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Shy and aloof Cassandra Drummond wasn't always like that, but fear of saying the wrong thing now keeps her tongue tied when in company. Retiring to her sister's fiance's country home to be away from the world, the last t
Romancing the Book
Mar 21, 2013 Romancing the Book rated it really liked it
Reviewed by: Laci
Book provided by: Author
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Review: I enjoyed A Dangerous Expectation, but I felt that there were scenes missing that could have filled in the story a little. It was an emotional tale that captured my heart. I found myself empathizing with Cassandra at first and later empathizing with Gray. They are both broken and in need of healing. This is a story that I think many people can relate to and understand.

Cassandra is more than just a shut
Alison
Really short - there was more back story in the blurb on Amazon than in the book!

Cassie (apparently) has a habit of blurting out whatever sarcastic thing she is thinking, especially in front of men. To avoid embarrassing scenes she decides to escape to the country and stay in her soon-to-be brother-in-law's country cottage. However, she leaves a week early not knowing that Gray Abernathy, her brother-in-law's impoverished friend is staying there.

Apparently it only takes 10 minutes for an unmarri
Beyond the Pages
Sep 27, 2014 Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Cassandra is an intelligent, quiet woman who has had been told her whole life to not share her opinions or speak her mind especially around men. She escapes London to her brother-in-laws home in the country for a solitary summer, until she finds herself alone with a man lying on the couch in the study and is expected to marry him or face ruination. Gray gives his bride time to get to know him and she finds out that she can share her opinions and speak her mind with him, and he likes to hear ...more
Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!)
I love the premise of this story! The two main characters end up in a precarious situation and find out that they have more in common that they could ever have imagined! I loved learning more about Cassandra, the sister of Chastity from the previous book in The Gentleman Series. The characters were unique and the story was as well! I loved how things turned out in the end and overall enjoyed every minute of this regency novella! Another great story by Cecilia Gray!

I received this book for free
Sally Hannoush
Aug 16, 2014 Sally Hannoush rated it really liked it
The main female character is nothing like she is suppose to behave. She is cleaver, intelligent, speaks her mind and is a pretty good inventor/architect. Both sisters have a good head for running a large company and are in the mindset to keep it that way. They won't let anyone bully them into something they do not want. Her husband -not by choice- is a son of a Duke yet is poor because he will not heed his father's wishes. He ends up helping as a man about the house and that leads to a good ...more
Maria
Sep 03, 2014 Maria rated it liked it
Cassandra and Grays story was sweet, but felt imcomplete. This author can make sweet kisses tantalizing. These stories are very clean really. This is not what I enjoy, I can see where others who are offended by more passionate scenes would love these short novellas that are delicate.
Zarah
Jan 05, 2016 Zarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another cute addition to the series, but it had a bit too drastic a change of personality in the MC to bring about the happy ending. Clean read, writing was good, could do with a bit more editing.
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
Dec 31, 2014 Jasmine from How Useful It Is rated it really liked it
All about the sister is interesting. Both has problems in society come together to help each other. More details at www.howusefulitis.wordpress.com
Whitney Roesch
My favorite in Cecilia Gray's 'The Gentlemen Next Door' Series! Full of humor, wit, elegance and romance! Beautiful story with entertaining and lovable characters!
Katarina
Dec 31, 2014 Katarina rated it really liked it
Very short, the 3rd in a series of 4.

Very cute, but because it's so short everything moves too fast and I would have loved if the story went a little deeper.
Sep 16, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
These books are like a Snickers bar...a satisfying snack for the romantic's proverbial sweet tooth. I highly recommend them.
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Kathy Cohen
Kathy Cohen rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2014
Stacy Jones
Stacy Jones rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Miss
Miss rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Christina  Torretta
Christina Torretta rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Lim
Lim rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • My Lady Coward: An Episodic Regency Romance
  • Discovered
  • My Wolf Protector (Wolf Town Guardians, #2)
  • Heart on Fire
  • Queen (Regency Refuge, #3)
  • Holiday Encounters Books 1-3 (Holiday Encounters #1-3)
  • A Bright Particular Star (Cavanagh Family, #2)
  • To Refuse a Rake
  • The Winter Wife: A Christmas Novella
  • His Brother's Bride (Banks Brothers Bride, #4)
  • Cop On Her Doorstep (True Love In Uniform, #1)
  • An Heir for the Billionaire Werebears
  • Found (Assassin's Revenge #1)
  • A Bear's Nemesis (Shifter Country Bears, #2)
  • The Wolf's Pursuit (London Fairy Tales, #3)
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • A Minute on the Lips (Welcome to Tall Pines #1)
  • Thief Prince
Cecilia Gray writes sweet stories about smart girls and nice guys.

When she isn't writing, she's into books, movies, TV, food, and hanging out with her friends.

* * *
Author's note: I'm here on Goodreads as a reader first, a writer second.

I read and review books here. Sometimes books I love and sometimes ones I don't love so much. I hope that's okay - the same way I'm okay if my books are reviewed a
More about Cecilia Gray...

The Gentlemen Next Door (4 books)
  • A Delightful Arrangement (The Gentlemen Next Door, #1)
  • An Illicit Engagement (The Gentlemen Next Door, #2)
  • A Flirtatious Rendezvous (The Gentlemen Next Door, #4)