The Memorial Hall Murder

The Memorial Hall Murder (Homer Kelly #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When a bomb kills the most popular man at Harvard, the entire faculty is suspectAn explosion rocks the foundations of Harvard University’s stately Memorial Hall. Built a century ago to honor alumni who died defending the Union in the Civil War, the hall is a focal point of the campus. Now it is a crime scene. A corpulent body is found inside, decapitated by the blast. The...more
Published April 17th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Memorial Hall Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memorial Hall Murder

Lynetta
"Ebullience and good humor and a sort of picnic charm of abandon and play . . . a good mystery," Eudora Welty comments on the back of the edition I read. I agree completely. A cozy to read before bedtime, the illustrations are charming, and the buildings of and around Harvard are well described. Handel's Messiah plays a big part in the book and in the resolution.

As with almost books, there is a lot of luck...Homer Kelly, a lieutenant detective, just happens to be on campus to teach a literature...more
Cindy
Sep 15, 2007 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries
A Homer Kelly book. Set in Harvard. I really like this one, maybe because I am a fan of Handel as well as a mystery lover. Many of her books have academic settings.
Very good writing. Enjoyed the good book. I love the illustrations in her books.
Zarina
This book was written in 1978. If I'm not mistaken, this book was brought over from England when my younger brother did his A-levels. I noticed that the price tag at the book of the books is a Malaysian distributor. Not sure if I was the one who bought it.

The condition of the book is good but the outer margin is so small that the letters are near the edge. But I love how each chapter begins with a short musical phase(?). Plus, there are a few illustrations which are missing in modern books.

For a...more
Irene B.
Read this mystery many years ago. Then someone gave me a copy for Christmas--we were exchanging used books. I've been carrying it around in my bag for emergencies when I'm stuck somewhere, so it's taken me five months to finish. Homer does tend to wander in his thoughts, but I thought the characters were amusing and the novel a bit droll--about a music director who ends up trapped in the basement of an exploded building for an extended duration while his choir is rehearsing above him. Each chapt...more
Gloria Mccracken
I really like the continuing characters in this series, including the dry sense of humor of the protagonist. The only unsatisfying issue with this particular book is that one of the minor evil doers did not get an appropriate comeuppance, in my opinion.
Eugene Lee
All my Harvard choir (especially HRCM) friends - this is a really fun book to read - set in Mem Hall and the subject of the murder mystery is the conductor of the Collegium Musicum!
Jill
Aug 02, 2008 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: academic mystery fans
It was OK - seemed a little dated, which I guess it is. I do like the detective, Homer Kelly, so I may try one of the more recent titles in the series.
Cece
Not very mysterious, actually...she gives it all away. But Homer Kelly is a likable character and I always like academic skullduggery.
Chrisina
Chrisina marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Barbie
Barbie added it
Jun 28, 2014
Jodielynn Lovern-barger
Jodielynn Lovern-barger marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Reka
Reka added it
May 23, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Jan C
Jan C marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Grace-Ellen
Grace-Ellen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Beth Despres
Beth Despres marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Langton was born in Boston, Massachusetts. She studied astronomy at Wellesley College and the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1944. She received an M.A. in art history from the University of Michigan in 1945, and another M.A. from Radcliffe College in 1948. She studied at the Boston Museum School from 1958 to 1959.

In 1961 Langton wrote and illustrated her first book for ch...more
More about Jane Langton...
The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4) The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1) The Time Bike (Hall Family Chronicles #6) The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2) The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)