Start by marking “The Memorial Hall Murder” as Want to Read:
The Memorial Hall Murder

The Memorial Hall Murder (Homer Kelly #3)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  149 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
When a bomb kills the most popular man at Harvard, the entire faculty is suspectAn explosion rocks the foundations of Harvard University’s stately Memorial Hall. Built a century ago to honor alumni who died defending the Union in the Civil War, the hall is a focal point of the campus. Now it is a crime scene. A corpulent body is found inside, decapitated by the blast. The ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Memorial Hall Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memorial Hall Murder

Lynetta
Dec 02, 2011 Lynetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
"Ebullience and good humor and a sort of picnic charm of abandon and play . . . a good mystery," Eudora Welty comments on the back of the edition I read. I agree completely. A cozy to read before bedtime, the illustrations are charming, and the buildings of and around Harvard are well described. Handel's Messiah plays a big part in the book and in the resolution.

As with almost books, there is a lot of luck...Homer Kelly, a lieutenant detective, just happens to be on campus to teach a literature
Cindy
Sep 15, 2007 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries
A Homer Kelly book. Set in Harvard. I really like this one, maybe because I am a fan of Handel as well as a mystery lover. Many of her books have academic settings.
Feb 18, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good writing. Enjoyed the good book. I love the illustrations in her books.
Katherine Rowland
The pros: engaging characterizations, switching points of view that actually helped the narrative, interesting mechanics, and plenty of intrigue. The cons: the book tried to think important thoughts and tell a good story, and the two goals didn't work in tandem. And--like other "literary" novels--it was just so verbose, as though many words make a book great or important or literate. Instead, it was just pretentious and tedious, thoughts percolated over and over until they're bitter.
Francis
I guess what I like about Jane Langton is she tells a good yarn and her illustrations/pen drawings are superb.

However, I often struggle with her dialogue and her characters which are both one dimensional and too Pollyannish for my liking. Sort of like a good natured murder mysteries series- yeah, kinda ..oxymoronish ..in a pleasant kind of way.

Zarina
Apr 02, 2012 Zarina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written in 1978. If I'm not mistaken, this book was brought over from England when my younger brother did his A-levels. I noticed that the price tag at the book of the books is a Malaysian distributor. Not sure if I was the one who bought it.

The condition of the book is good but the outer margin is so small that the letters are near the edge. But I love how each chapter begins with a short musical phase(?). Plus, there are a few illustrations which are missing in modern books.

For a
Vicki Sholty
Second reading...because we vacationed in Boston. Although not the primary reason for going, it was fun to visit the sites mentioned in the story. Not much character development of Homer; would be better for new readers to start at the beginning of the series.
Irene B.
Jul 20, 2012 Irene B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Read this mystery many years ago. Then someone gave me a copy for Christmas--we were exchanging used books. I've been carrying it around in my bag for emergencies when I'm stuck somewhere, so it's taken me five months to finish. Homer does tend to wander in his thoughts, but I thought the characters were amusing and the novel a bit droll--about a music director who ends up trapped in the basement of an exploded building for an extended duration while his choir is rehearsing above him. Each chapt ...more
Gloria Mccracken
Jun 30, 2013 Gloria Mccracken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the continuing characters in this series, including the dry sense of humor of the protagonist. The only unsatisfying issue with this particular book is that one of the minor evil doers did not get an appropriate comeuppance, in my opinion.
Eugene Lee
All my Harvard choir (especially HRCM) friends - this is a really fun book to read - set in Mem Hall and the subject of the murder mystery is the conductor of the Collegium Musicum!
Jill
Aug 02, 2008 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: academic mystery fans
It was OK - seemed a little dated, which I guess it is. I do like the detective, Homer Kelly, so I may try one of the more recent titles in the series.
Cece
Jun 07, 2008 Cece rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Not very mysterious, actually...she gives it all away. But Homer Kelly is a likable character and I always like academic skullduggery.
Drfranni
Drfranni rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Marian Mertes
Marian Mertes rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Janet Godwin
Janet Godwin rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Debbie Hartzman
Debbie Hartzman rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Alton Motobu
Alton Motobu rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Thefuninfuneral
Thefuninfuneral marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Pat Ost
Pat Ost marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Louise Smith
Louise Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Poppy
Poppy added it
Sep 14, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2015
K Jackson
K Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Bev Wire
Bev Wire marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Cathie Severance
Cathie Severance marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
  • The Sirens Sang of Murder (Hilary Tamar, #3)
  • The Man in the Mist
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • The Raven and the Nightingale (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #3)
  • Witch Miss Seeton (Heron Carvic's Miss Seeton #3)
  • Unsigned (A Booklover's Mystery, #5)
  • Mrs. Malory Investigates (Mrs. Malory Mysteries, #1)
  • Oxford Blood (Jemima Shore, #5)
  • "G" is for Grafton: The World of Kinsey Millhone... Revised and Updated through "O" IS FOR OUTLAW
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
  • Gaudi Afternoon (Cassandra Reilly, #1)
  • The Man Who Would Be F. Scott Fitzgerald (Stewart Hoag, #3)
  • Murder in the English Department
  • Good Night, My Darling
  • The Death of a Joyce Scholar (Peter McGarr, #8)
Langton was born in Boston, Massachusetts. She studied astronomy at Wellesley College and the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1944. She received an M.A. in art history from the University of Michigan in 1945, and another M.A. from Radcliffe College in 1948. She studied at the Boston Museum School from 1958 to 1959.

In 1961 Langton wrote and illustrated her first book for ch
More about Jane Langton...

Homer Kelly (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • Dark Nantucket Noon (Homer Kelly, #2)
  • Natural Enemy (Homer Kelly, #4)
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • Good and Dead (Homer Kelly, #6)
  • Murder at the Gardner
  • The Dante Game (Homer Kelly, #8)
  • God in Concord (Homer Kelly, #9)
  • Divine Inspiration (Homer Kelly, #10)
  • The Shortest Day: Murder at the Revels (Homer Kelly, #11)