Start by marking “An Equal Opportunity Death” as Want to Read:
An Equal Opportunity Death

An Equal Opportunity Death (Vejay Haskell #1)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Reissued to coincide with the hardcover release of Susan Dunlap's new novel, High Fall, here is an early Vejay Haskell mystery. When the owner of Frank's Place on the waterfront is murdered, Vejay finds herself swimming in circumstantial guilt.
Published May 8th 2012 by Open Road Media (first published June 1984)

To ask other readers questions about An Equal Opportunity Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Equal Opportunity Death

Gee-Gee
This is the first book in the Vejay Haskell series. Years ago I read several books in the Julie Smith series and thoroughly enjoyed them.
This book starts with an introduction to the main character and the town in which she lives. I felt that Ms Dunlap did a skilled job of blending the needed background information into the telling of the story. Then gradually all the characters are introduced. And the town is laid out. All very skillfully.
Vejay is an interesting woman: an escapee of the San
Christine
Vejay Haskell takes a time-out from reading meters in the small town of Henderson, California to solve the murder of a good friend. Vejay can’t believe Frank Goulet, the owner of a small bar called “Frank’s Place” has been murdered. Many in the town think Frank’s death may have been drug-related, but Sheriff Wescott, who is leading the investigation, suspects Vejay. Vejay has some unexpected time off and uses her extra free time to do some investigating of her own to clear her name and get to th ...more
Pamela
I was pleased with this rereleased murder mystery. It had good character and place development. The heroine was a capable working woman living in a small California town. A town on the brink of change as tourists and developers start moving in.

The h is falsely accused of murder and must solve the crime herself since the sheriff is convinced that she committed the crime.

I loved the investigation carried out by the h and the ending was sad and dramatic.

This is definitely a book I can recommend.

ARC
George
#1 in the Vejay Haskell mystery series set in the Russian River area of California. Vejay is a PG&E meter reader moved from San Francisco tot he river area a year previously. She becomes a prime suspect in a murder and works to find the real murderer which gets her into a lot of hot water with the sheriff because she withholds information. She also manages to make things worse for herself several times in this easily read mystery as well as driving people crazy with her relentless and, often ...more
Jocelyn
This was my first Susan Dunlap book and I really enjoyed it. The characters were well developed and likable. The best part was that I didn't guess who did it until it was revealed to me at the very end!
Renee
Enjoyable character development.
Robin Brown
Robin Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
bookworm
bookworm marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Tammy Sites
Tammy Sites marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Linda Lawrie
Linda Lawrie marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Susan Dunlap is best known for her Jill Smith detective series, but she is a prolific and much loved writer of crime and mystery fiction, including award-winning short stories.
More about Susan Dunlap...

Vejay Haskell (3 books)
  • The Bohemian Connection (Vejay Haskell, #2)
  • The Last Annual Slugfest (Vejay Haskell, #3)
Not Exactly a Brahmin (Jill Smith, #3) Karma (Jill Smith, #1) Death and Taxes (Jill Smith, #7) A Dinner to Die for (Jill Smith, #5) As a Favor (Jill Smith, #2)