Start by marking “God in Concord” as Want to Read:
God in Concord

God in Concord (Homer Kelly #9)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Homer suspects a rash of deaths near Walden Pond may not be accidental

Alice Snow is the first to die. In the morning, she and her friends at the Pond View Trailer Park watchsoap operas, worrying about the lives of TV’s rich and powerful. A few hours later, a hiking Homer Kelly finds Alice lying outside her trailer, head smashed and heart stopped. Though her fellow Pond Vie
Published March 6th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about God in Concord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God in Concord

Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here& in August 2000.

God in Concord is a detective novel about two things I find difficult to understand. The story is about an attempt to build a new development in Concord, Mass., threatening the Walden Pond which inspired Thoreau. I personally find it difficult to get excited about any heritage less than two hundred years old - I was amazed to find a Canadian cousin of mine just as excited about the Victorian terraces which can be seen from the walls of Lin
Rebecca
Jane Langton's Homer Kelly is one part absent-minded professor, one part Doctor Who (sans time travel) and one part...well, Homer Kelly. Suffering from JFS (Jessica Fletcher Syndrome), mystery and death seem to "sniff out" Homer, rather than the other way around.

The story is not just merely about scenic suburban life and the petty trifles of its inhabitants. That provides the narrative façade for an astute commentary regarding the politics of development/city planning, environmentalism and the d
Deb
I enjoy Langton's books a lot. Her children's book, Diamond in the Window, is one of my favorites of all time. The adult mysteries are comforting -- a murder here and there, but set in a world where things all turn out well in the end, the characters you really care about will not get killed, and the kind, quirky individuals will find love (if they need it). Some of the nice things about the mysteries are: Homer Kelly, the detective figure, is a likeable Emerson scholar and lover of Transcendent ...more
Barbara
A light, enjoyable mystery! There was enough humor to keep it fun and enough suspense to keep you reading.
Maura
skip this. really. it's filled with 2-dimensional characters, most of whom are either mean, bitter &/or selfish. i probably could have lived with all that and just dismissed the book as a piece of forgetable fluff. but every other chapter, you're forced to endure descriptions like this (of a doctor whose office is heavy on the pink & flowers):

"Homer was glad to see that [Dr. Stefano] didn't match his office suite. His face wasn't part of any decorating scheme. It was lined and puckered w
Kate
Jane Langton's style may not be for everyone, but I love the casual pace and the way she brings in several interconnected stories that eventually resolve into one solution for the mystery. This one was about Thoreau, Walden Pond, Concord, fiscal problems of governmental units, and commercial development. It is quietly funny.
Jeffrey
Another New England book - not abut religion, but a mystery story. Homer Kelly is a great character and the books are quite simple. But, when you know the communities the are set in, it is fun to read. I enjoyed reading this whole series. I think I have read all 18, the last was written in 2005.
Melinda Seyler
Mar 08, 2013 Melinda Seyler rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melinda by: newleaph@gmail.com

God in Concord by Jane Langton I have a love of Thoreau and Walden and this is set around there and involves the saving of Walden Pond and people who talk about Thoreau a lot. So that was interesting. The mystery was a real surprise ending but not all that gripping, nonetheless.

Chris Leuchtenburg
A loony tale involving a gang of homeless in tony Concord, some amoral developers and a group of Thoreau fanatics. Imaginative and often humorous, but leisurely paced and rife with implausible events.
Margaret
I liked this book a lot - a nice mix of characters (I especially liked Ananda), lovely illustrations (rarely seen in mysteries) and a believable plot without a lot of silliness - a very nice read.
Kestrell
A mystery which is literary, well-written, fun and full of action, and still thoughtful and thought-provoking--all that, and Thoreau quotes too. Great book, great series.
Amyem

I own a copy and bookcrossed a copy.
Carol
Interesting scenario -- but I couldn't get into it. Started to seem contrived.
Janet
Splendid. I do so love her Homer Kelly mysteries.
Toesnorth's mom
not very good
Daniel Picioccio
Daniel Picioccio marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Familyreader
Familyreader marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jane
Jane added it
Feb 09, 2015
Keith M
Keith M marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Robin
Robin added it
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Marco Polo, If You Can
  • The Angel and the Jabberwocky Murders (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Forges Ahead
  • A Case of Bad Taste (Morning Shade Mystery #1)
  • When Did We Lose Harriet? (Thoroughly Southern, #1)
  • Dog Heaven
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)
  • Father of the Bride: A Comedy in Three Acts
  • Unprintable (A Book Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Golf Dreams: Writings on Golf
  • Driving Force
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #10)
Langton was born in Boston, Massachusetts. She studied astronomy at Wellesley College and the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1944. She received an M.A. in art history from the University of Michigan in 1945, and another M.A. from Radcliffe College in 1948. She studied at the Boston Museum School from 1958 to 1959.

In 1961 Langton wrote and illustrated her first book for ch
More about Jane Langton...

Homer Kelly (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • Dark Nantucket Noon (Homer Kelly, #2)
  • The Memorial Hall Murder (Homer Kelly, #3)
  • Natural Enemy (Homer Kelly, #4)
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • Good and Dead (Homer Kelly, #6)
  • Murder at the Gardner
  • The Dante Game (Homer Kelly, #8)
  • Divine Inspiration (Homer Kelly, #10)
  • The Shortest Day: Murder at the Revels (Homer Kelly, #11)
The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4) The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1) The Time Bike (Hall Family Chronicles #6) The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2) The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)