The Face on the Wall

The Face on the Wall (Homer Kelly #13)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  10 reviews
While trying to start a new life, Homer’s niece uncovers a murder

Life has not always been fair to Annie Swann. A bad marriage sullied her youth, but since her divorce she has made enough money illustrating children’s books to add a wing to her house. The new addition’s focal point will be a thirty-five-foot blank wall, where Annie plans an elaborate mural of the fairy tale...more
Published March 6th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1998)

Becky Rippel
Book Number 13 in the Homer Kelly series and one of Jane Langton's best. Annie Swann, Homer's niece and children's books illustrator, has a dream come true. A new addition to her house has a blank wall 35' long on which she is going to paint a mural of fairy stories. Eight year old, Eddie Gast, is fascinated with her work. A mentally disabled child, Eddie is a major disruption to his parents. His older sister, Charlene was a champion swimmer and the apple of her parent's eyes. When Eddie is foun...more
Ron Charles
In the early versions, Cinderella's wicked step-mother cuts off her daughters' toes to make the glass slipper fit.

Rumpelstiltskin doesn't just jump through the floor; he tears himself in half.

After the wolf eats Little Red Riding Hood, no hunter neatly removes her from the canine's belly.

Those Grimm stories are grim, indeed, not to mention the ghastly nursery rhymes about desperate poverty, collapsing bridges, and cannibalistic giants.

Jane Langton's "The Face on the Wall" reminds us that the hor...more
Kathy
Okay, disclaimer: my youngest, much beloved child has Down Syndrome.

There is a child with Down Syndrome in this book.

This book is a mystery.

Mysteries, by definition, have usually bad people in them and bad things happening to innocents and not so innocents.

So, if you have a kid with Down Syndrome, you might want to skip this, even if you love the Homer Kelly mysteries of the brilliant Jane Langton. It's all just too sad.

But for the rest of you, some wonderful writing, some deft use of fairytales...more
Cece
Langton is beginning to remind me of Lemony Snicket and his Series of Unfortunate Events books. Dreadful things happening left, right and center can be fun-but this far into the series it seems like she is just trying way too hard to out-quirk the last book. I can't even really call them mysteries any more.
Judye Heitfield
looking for out of print books by her--her young people's books about the Hall family in Mass was riveting for my son and I when he was younger. I cannot wait for my grandkids to be old enough to enjoy them with me...but I also like her very simple adult mysteries as well...most are out of print
Astraplain
A fast-paced read with interesting characters. This is one of my favorites of the Homer Kelly mysteries I've read. I especially liked the fairytale/storyteller theme and the idea of the illustrated wall. This one is a keep to be re-read.
Barbara
Children's book illustrator sets out to create a mural of favorite childhood literature but a mysterious painted face keeps appearing on her wall. The sad part of this book is the death of a child, generally a kind of mystery I avoid.
David Wickham
An absolutely wonderful book! Fantastic characters and a great plot. She grabbed my attention and held it, which is rarely done by an author since I've read so much over the years.

Can't recommend this book enough!
This was a good, light read though a little too silly at times.
Anna
Very intriguing. It held my interest to the very end.
Barbie
Barbie added it
Jun 28, 2014
Susan Brown
Susan Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Reka
Reka added it
May 23, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Rosellen Weider
Rosellen Weider marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Saransh
Saransh marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
ashan perera
ashan perera marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Pamela Kern
Pamela Kern marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Janet
Janet added it
Oct 20, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Langton was born in Boston, Massachusetts. She studied astronomy at Wellesley College and the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1944. She received an M.A. in art history from the University of Michigan in 1945, and another M.A. from Radcliffe College in 1948. She studied at the Boston Museum School from 1958 to 1959.

In 1961 Langton wrote and illustrated her first book for ch...more
More about Jane Langton...
The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4) The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1) The Time Bike (Hall Family Chronicles #6) The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2) Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)