Murder at the Gardner

Murder at the Gardner (Homer Kelly #7)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Investigating a lighthearted prankster, Homer Kelly finds murder instead

There are frogs in the pond at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. A balloon has been tied to one of the sculptures in the small museum’s hallowed halls. And, worst of all, someone has moved paintings while no one was looking. At most museums these pranks would be an annoyance, but at the Gardner—who...more
Published March 6th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 1988)

Stuart
A well-written mystery taking place in the (non-fictional) Gardner Museum in Boston. The story is written in a humorous, tongue-in-cheek style, with the author's drawings of the museum and its collections adding a unique touch and greater understanding of the environment. In the book, the museum is being hit by what seems to be a series of practical jokes - music that seems to be coming from paintings; paintings going missing and turning up in inappropriate places (a toilet and a pub). The direc...more
Nadia
Having been to the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum on numerous occasions, I was thrilled to pick up this mystery. The premise of the mystery is that pranks that threaten the future of the museum are being perpetrated and Homer Kelly is pulled in to help track down the culprit.

There is a lot of description of the museum's artwork and it is an added bonus if you have a familiarity with some of the works of art, there are also line drawings in the book that add to that. The story unfolds slowly an...more
Jim
A murder mystery that had promise, but in the end, left me cold. Homer Kelly is hired by the Gardner Museum (a real place, by the way) to investigate some mischievous happenings, and eventually a couple of murders.

For a man who is supposed to be a great detective, he is not very clever and does very little investigating. It goes on and on and on and nothing is ever solved, until the end, when our glorious detective has an insightful moment that is almost preposterous and a bit of a reach.

The cha...more
Susan
The new curator of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum loves his job, but he--and the board of trustees--are dismayed by strange incidents that have been plaguing the Boston institution. So far, they're not serious, insofar as a breach of security in a museum can ever be trivial. But the strange, and true, provisions of Mrs. Gardner's will make them a matter for concern. When Homer Kelly becomes a museum member, the curator decides to enlist the scholar and former police detective before things...more
Casey Dawes
It's old fashioned, and does sag a bit in the middle, but what a delightful change! I will be searching for more...
Nancy
I read the first 200 pages rather slowly. I learned a lot about the Gardner Museum, it's directors, its staff, it's beautiful court yard garden, and it's works of art. It started to get really interesting, when I thought a character I liked, had been killed, when she was thrown out a window. It became a page turner for the pages after 200. I really enjoyed the last pages of the book. I did a google search for the Gardner Museum in Boston. I found some very beautiful works of art, and I loved the...more
Patricia
I read this one years ago, before I started volunteering at the Gardner. Published in 1988, two years before the theft, it was interesting to see how the staff at the Gardner was depicted as eccentric and a bit amateur - probably closer to the mark at the time than anyone would like to admit! The plot was a bit silly and the writing dated, but the museum and the art work were accurately and lovingly represented and Langton obviously did her homework.
Vikki
I read this book right after I visited the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum in Boston. I loved the museum and was delighted when I got back to Kansas to find that a book had been written by Jane Langton about the museum. Fiction and mystery. I could just picture the museum when I read the book. I sure wish those four paintings will be found someday.
Susan
It was fun to read about the Gardner Museum. The line drawings of works of art and spaces added a lot, as did the floor plans. Written twenty-five years ago, there were now-nostalgic mentions of banks of pay phones and of messages sent by postal letter.
Joanne
Slow-paced (VERY slow-paced) mystery enjoyable because it's set at the Isabella Stuart Gardner museum in Boston, which provides some erudition about art. Otherwise the plot is pretty silly.
Joyce
One of my favorites in the series, in part because I love the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum and this took me back there over and over.
Kaylynn
A rather lackluster mystery where the detective did very little and the murderer was obvious. I did like all the stuff about art, though.
Sandra
I love the Gardner museum and I think that is what mostly kept me hanging on until the end. This was not a real page turner for me.
Molly
Eh, an OK mystery. I think she could have done a better job building up the suspense
Amyem

I own a copy and bookcrossed a copy.
Mary
Part of a series based on historical buildings.
Jean
Gardner Museum mystery
Chrisina
Chrisina marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Barbie
Barbie added it
Jun 28, 2014
Craig Mccall
Craig Mccall marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Reka
Reka added it
May 23, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
May 09, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Jan C
Jan C marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Langton was born in Boston, Massachusetts. She studied astronomy at Wellesley College and the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1944. She received an M.A. in art history from the University of Michigan in 1945, and another M.A. from Radcliffe College in 1948. She studied at the Boston Museum School from 1958 to 1959.

In 1961 Langton wrote and illustrated her first book for ch...more
More about Jane Langton...
The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4) The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1) The Time Bike (Hall Family Chronicles #6) The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2) Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)