Murder at Monticello

Murder at Monticello (Homer Kelly #15)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Two hundred years after Thomas Jefferson’s inauguration, a serial killer stalks Monticello

Thomas Jefferson is in trouble. Two centuries after he became America’s third President, the nation’s historians have ganged up on him, intent on shattering the reputation of a man they once idolized. It’s Fern Fisher’s job to set the record straight. A hotshot young historian, she ha...more
Published March 6th 2012 by MysteriousPress.com/Open Road (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at Monticello, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at Monticello

Jeanne
Charlottesville, VA is preparing to celebrate the bicentennial of Thomas Jefferson’s election as president of the United States. At Monticello, Jefferson’s estate, young historian Fern Fisher has been given a grant to write a book about Jefferson, emphasizing his accomplishments and positive attributes, to balance some of the more disreputable elements associated with the third president, such as being a slave-holder, and his questionable relationship with the slave Sally Hemings. It is no small...more
Melissa
I thought I would enjoy the book more than I did, since the setting was Monticello, but found myself rushing to finish it and move on to something else. I think I read another in this series several years back but didn't remember a lot about it. I may or may not read another. I don't really care for the main characters in the series and the plot was just a little on the silly side for my taste.
Pascale
Initially I was disappointed because the case revolves around yet another sexual predator/serial killer obsessed with teasing the police. This is such a cliché in film and fiction that I nearly gave up (this is the kind of mystery where you know the identity of the murderer very early on, and just follow the chase). That said, Langton writes beautifully and the way she weaves in excerpts from the diaries of the Lewis and Clark expedition is makes all the difference. The epigraphs are an integral...more
Jack
I found this on the shelf at ALL BOOKED UP in Coventry. It caught my eye because it was set at Monticello. Written by a local Mass author, it is her 15th homer Kelly Mystery. I loved the setting... all nooks a crannies that we explored in October at Montichello. Jefferson and Lewis and Clark figure as central elements to this modern story. Better than I thought it would be even though plot elements could be seen from a mile away. Not sure if I would read others in the series, it was the Jefferso...more
Mysteryfan
These one is off the author's regular path. She quotes the Lewis and Clark diaries at the beginning of each chapter and doesn't shy away from some of Jefferson's less appealing traits. The serial killer has a believable obsession. She also often includes a younger couple discovering each other and she tied them into the plot well here.
Del
Jane Langton's mysteries are fun to read. Seemed that the Murder at Monticello is a bit predictable. She's a Unitarian and often her characters are involved in the local congregation when set in the New England of Homer and Mary Kelley. Not so in Virginia. Lewis & Clark buffs might find it of interest, too.
Meredith
Um, ugh. It's obvious why I picked this up, but was upset at the geographical inaccuracies (Hello, including something about the library! I forget just what now...) early on in the book and was unable to finish it, as the (ahem) quality of the writing was not enough to overcome my displeasure.
Barbara
Loved that we had just been at Monticello in the fall and could imagine the whole scene. Good story too.
Ryan
Enjoyable and an interesting description/perspective of Monticello and Jefferson.
Louise
I finished it. Did not enjoy it as much as earlier books in the series.
Cute, light not enough mystery.
Marti
Passed on to me from Mom.
Iana
Iana marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Craig Mccall
Craig Mccall marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Reka
Reka added it
May 23, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
May 09, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Jan C
Jan C marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Langton was born in Boston, Massachusetts. She studied astronomy at Wellesley College and the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1944. She received an M.A. in art history from the University of Michigan in 1945, and another M.A. from Radcliffe College in 1948. She studied at the Boston Museum School from 1958 to 1959.

In 1961 Langton wrote and illustrated her first book for ch...more
More about Jane Langton...
The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4) The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1) The Time Bike (Hall Family Chronicles #6) The Swing in the Summerhouse (Hall Family Chronicles, #2) The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)