Start by marking “A Time to Stand: The Epic of the Alamo” as Want to Read:
A Time to Stand: The Epic of the Alamo

A Time to Stand: The Epic of the Alamo

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Besieged by General Santa Anna’s five thousand troops, a handful of Texans fought for liberty in the face of overwhelming oddsLooking out over the walls of the whitewashed Alamo, sweltering in the intense sun of a February heat wave, Colonel William Travis knew his small garrison had little chance of holding back the Mexican army. Even after a call for reinforcements broug ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Open Road Media (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Stand, please sign up.

Stanley Phillips Walter Lord tried to chronicle the struggle for Texas Independence. In succeeding I suppose you can say everyone who fought, some dying were the main…moreWalter Lord tried to chronicle the struggle for Texas Independence. In succeeding I suppose you can say everyone who fought, some dying were the main characters. That includes everyone that came in contact with the struggle for independence-named or unnamed. (less)
Stanley Phillips Problem? I do not see a problem with the work. Of course, you, me or anyone can argue on whether one way of writing the topic, any topic misses the…moreProblem? I do not see a problem with the work. Of course, you, me or anyone can argue on whether one way of writing the topic, any topic misses the mark. As for me, being a freedom loving person, there is a place on my shelf for Walter Lord's "A Time to Stand." In its time it was a very important book to me while growing up.. (less)

Matt
In reading, as in life, the hardest part is often figuring out where to start.

We used to struggle with too little information. Books were hard to find or out of print or never got published because the gatekeepers at the big publishing houses didn't think the book was worth creating. If you wanted to read about a certain subject, you'd go to a bookstore or library, where you might be confronted with a few time-tested titles.

Things have changed.

Now we struggle with too much information. Today,
Ken
I picked this book up at the Alamo. They had a number of books on sale about the battle but this one came with the highest recommendation.

The story encompasses the years proceeding the battle that drew men from around America to Texas, the siege of the Alamo, through to the destruction of General Santa Anna's army by Sam Houston's army. The book explores the passion of the men who gave up everything to start a new life in Texas and tries to explain why these men choose to die when they easily
Sean Jacobs
As a collector of first edition Texas history books, this is one written by Walter Lord in 1961. I have read and studied this book at least seven or eight times. Each time in comprehend something more.

This epic adventure of the Alamo is like never before written. Walter Lord is also the author of A Night to Remember and The Good Years.

During my writing of Sisters of Mercy - The Runaway Scrape, Angelina Dickinson leads off the novel informing the families in Gonzales to begin running to the Sabi
Kevin Symmons
I have always been a western history "Junkie". And one of the most compelling and heroic events in all western history is the 13 day stand of ~ 200 men at the Alamo, a rundown mission outside San Antonio, Texas. This story has all the stuff that legends are made of... a vastly outnumbered and outgunned group of volunteers against a disciplined, well equipped army that held a 30 to 1 numerical superiority (depending on whose numbers you chose). The Texans (though to be fair it must be remembered ...more
Stanley Phillips
This was one of the first books I read as a kid. Maybe that's the reason I've taken such an interest in the struggle for Texas Independence. The book itself is more than just a tale about a mission fort. In fact, the story the book tells is as much about freedom loving people, as it is about the need to start a new life in a new land.
Marc
The book attempts to chronicle, without hyperbole, the events of the Alamo; a somewhat difficult task given the mythology that surrounds this minor event. It was Mexico's only real victory in the war of annexation by the Americans. Good read though. Quite successful at avoiding the hyperbole.
Mark
Walter Lord, like McCullough and Stephen Ambrose, can make history read like a novel...a great example of how the "romantic" ideals of the War of 1812 bleed through time to encompass the Texas Revolution...no story of the Texas Revolution can be told without an account of the Alamo!!!
Chad Bowers
A really good read on the history at the Alamo. I read this straight through in a couple of days. Recommended for anyone who is into learning more about the Alamo. Also, to me personally, it was interesting to read a snippet about a cousin of my ancestor, who was there.
Shana
I read this book for an upper level Texas history course. I really enjoyed it. There is a lot of detail here and back story.
Sarah (Presto agitato)
A readable treatment of a complex, hotly debated subject, but the use . . . of ellipses. . . is. . . distracting.
Jerry Hinson
I love it. again the minute by minute details it puts you there in the mist of the battle
Michael
What a wonderful detailed and interesting history of the Battle of the Alamo and the men and women involved in this drama. The history is so clear and vivid while being researched in great detail. I have rarely enjoyed a history so much as this. I want to donate it to our permanent history collection at our local library. I highly recommend that you read it.
Summer Drez
Best book on the story of the Alamo. It's done with facts but in a story form and keeps you intertwined and sucked in. Loved this book! Can't wait to read more by Walter Lord
Heather
Interesting factual account of the Alamo
Meg
"Watched "The Alamo" - what a stupid film. Wanted to read a book and my dad had this one. Factual enough for the casual reader. Quick read."
Fredrick Danysh
Another version of the Battle of the Alamo during the Texas Revolution. It appears to have been written for middlw schoolers.
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Matthew Henken
Matthew Henken marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jamie Jordan
Jamie Jordan marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Edie Overduin
Edie Overduin marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Three Roads to the Alamo: The Lives and Fortunes of David Crockett, James Bowie, and William Barret Travis
  • No Life for a Lady
  • These Wonderful Rumours!: A Young Schoolteacher's Wartime Diaries
  • Heart of a Soldier
  • Crusade in Europe
  • A Weekend in September
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • The Raven: A Biography of Sam Houston (Texas Classics)
  • The Forgotten War: America in Korea, 1950-1953
  • High Wide and Lonesome (88890)
  • Riders of the Pony Express
  • Letters on an Elk Hunt by a Woman Homesteader
  • Indomitable Will: LBJ in the Presidency
  • Sea of Gray: The Around-The-World Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah
  • Black Hats: A Novel of Wyatt Earp and Al Capone
  • Hell Hawks!: The Untold Story of the American Fliers Who Savaged Hitler's Wehrmacht
  • Beloved Bride: The Letters of Stonewall Jackson to His Wife
  • Land of the Burnt Thigh
Walter Lord was an American author, best known for his documentary-style non-fiction account, A Night to Remember, about the sinking of the RMS Titanic.

In 2009, Jenny Lawrence edited and published The Way It Was: Walter Lord on His Life and Books.
More about Walter Lord...
A Night to Remember Day of Infamy The Night Lives On Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway The Miracle of Dunkirk