Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II

Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  19 reviews
From one of Britain’s best-known observers of the monarchy—an intimate portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, England’s longest-reigning queen, in celebration of her Diamond Jubilee

History has known no monarch like her. She has traveled farther than all her predecessors put together and lived longer than any of them. She has known more historic figures than anyone alive—from Chur...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Pegasus Books (first published January 1st 2012)

David
Her Majesty: Queen Elizabeth II and her Court by Robert Hardman provides an overview and analysis of Queen Elizabeth II, her reign, and the many changes and reforms that have transpired over her sixty years on the throne.

Well chosen photographs illustrate the Queen's activities including
opening Parliament, Trooping the Colour, visiting a mosque, at the National Stud in Ireland, Garter Day, a state dinner at Windsor, and at a G-20 summit. My favorite photos are welcoming home a wounded soldier, a...more
Carol
Just in time for the Jubilee and the London Olympics, a sympathetic portrayal of Queen Elizabeth II by a knowledgeable journalist and longtime royal-watcher. I checked this one out of the library by mistake, having confused it with "Elizabeth the Queen," which is a scholarly biography. This book is dissimilar -- it is chatty, very British (some of the slang expressions and references to popular television shows quite baffled me), concentrates on the present-day monarch, and is more informal and...more
Emily
As the author states, the thoughts and feelings of the Queen will come out when access to her papers and journals are available. Unfortunately, that will not happen until the Queen dies.
After reading this, I have a better understanding of the monarchy and the way it works. That part was fascinating, as was the information about the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh's marriage and relationship. I think the Queen sounds like a fascinating woman, with a lot to offer the world.
It is not a fast read,...more
Meg
Not a biography at all, but a wonderfully wonky account of the inside workings of the various offices that keep the monarchy running and how they've changed over the decades.
Nancy Doran
I liked this book. It was interesting and informative. Goota love the Queen!
Amy
We shelve this in Biography, and yet, this is not a biography in the true sense of the word. Rather, it is a history of the monarchy and how it and the members of Elizabeth's Court have evolved since she became Queen.

A couple of chapters in this book were extremely interesting. I loved reading about "Her People" -- the men and women who work in this "corporation" to ensure that everything works and runs the way it's supposed to. The people who work for the Monarchy -- the Chefs, Footmen, Maids,...more
Alise
Read my full thoughts on my blog.

"Considering my lifelong love of British royal history, I found myself surprised by how much I learned from Her Majesty...Hardman demonstrates the breadth of the Queen's activities, the modern role of the royal family and how it has developed, and the significance of the Commonwealth.

Hardman was granted several key interviews which made the book not only more reputable, but also more enjoyable for us royalists. Prince Andrew - Duke of York and the Queen's second...more
Noel
She is 60 years on the job, so it is interesting to read an (almost) insider's description of how The Queen does her job, and how the strangely flexible unwritten British Constitution works with hereditary monarchy as its Head of State rather than an elected presidency. Fascinating, lots of interesting tidbits about HM and the Royal family, and not the usual trashy gossip from the Fleet street tabloids. Stories are interspered with interview snippets from her nearest and dearest.

Still, she can't...more
Traci
A strong defense of the Monarch as well as her relatives, it presupposes a certain amount of knowledge and familiarity with royal titles and lingo which was occasionally frustrating. I expected something more like a traditional chronological biography, but instead it's more an analysis of where things currently stand through a historic lens.
ladywallingford
This book was good in that it outlined the role of Elizabeth II as a constitutional monarch in the here and now. However, it was a bit dry and slow going in a couple of spots. My favorite chapter in fact was the one on Prince Philip. He sounds like an interesting individual.
Renee
I picked up this book because my friend is a fan of all things British and I thought I'd join the club. Certainly it was enlightening, but it was also very, very long and somewhat repetitious. Not a bad book at all; it just covered way more than I needed to know.
Elmira
I only got to page 13, but the writing was so apallingly bad that I couldn't get any further. I'd like to know much more about Elizabeth II and the details of her reign that I am too young to remember, but I'll search for a better book on the subject.
Teresa R.
not your typical biography. gives a good overview/history/understanding of the British monarchy under Elizabeth.
Melissa
Great read. Explains things so people can understand the monarchy. Queen Elizabeth is a great lady!
Dara
Suggests the Queen should receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Five out of five stars on the fawning scale.
Kim Sheehan
Excellent book about how the monarchy is responding to changing times.
Barbara
I love the details of the life of the royals. Talk about different!
Pony Heath
Still love all things royal! Excellent racconteur
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Abdiazis
Abdiazis marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Nancy L.
Nancy L. marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Joy
Joy is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Kealani
Kealani marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
A Year with the Queen Our Queen Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work 2b Not to Be: Happy Ending 2b Not to Be