Start by marking “The Fever” as Want to Read:
The Fever

The Fever (B. Wahlströms ungdomsrysare)

Trapped in the hospital with a raging fever, a teenager fears for her life
The Twelvetrees hospital is ancient and eerie, with no modern comforts. Stricken by a mysterious fever, Duffy has spent two nights trapped in her lonely hospital bed. When she wakes from her fog, her memories of the last two days are tattered. But what she does remember could prove more dangerous tha
Published March 27th 2012 by Open Road Media YA (first published 1992)

Sandra
Duffy Quinn was admitted into the hospital two days ago by her parents for a very high fever. One night, in her hospital room, she hears strange noises---metal rattling, a cry for help... Is she imagining this or is it real? Many of her schoolmates are volunteer workers at the hospital and they don't believe her when she tells them about this. They think it's the fever making her delirious. Duffy decides to take a look around the hospital (even though her doctor told her to stay in bed because h ...more
Kate
"When you play with fever... you might get BURNED."

Yes, this is the tagline on the front of this book. I picked it up at the used bookstore and I didn't think I had read this one, although I did remember reading several books by Diane Hoh in my high school years... but once I started reading, small details reminded me that I had read it.

Duffy is in the hospital with a fever, and one night she hears someone cry out in her room. No one believes her because everyone thinks she's delirious: her bes
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought THE FEVER was going to center around a mysterious illness but it really doesn’t. It lends a hand to the greater plot but the larger issue going on is that someone is trying to kill Duffy but no one will believe her because they think she’s delirious from being sick. She’s not a character I was really able to feel anything for because she was a bit whiny and bratty and snipped at people when she didn’t get her way. Toward the end her anger was understandable because no one was ...more
Alex
Sep 16, 2013 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually never read this one as a kid. I thought I had read all of these Point Horror books, but this one did not ring any bells, nor did the cover.

As someone who spends a LOT of time in a hospital bed, this book was honestly frightening to me. The thought of someone messing with my medication freaks me out! It takes a lot of trust to just lie there and assume people are giving you the right dose as it is, I can't even imagine someone purposely tampering with my medications.

Duffy was such an
Catalina Sennett
A short point thriller novel from the early nineties. I remember I used to love these books, and I still read them when I happen to find them at my local thrift store. Diane hoh is one of my favorites, as well as Rl Stine.
The Fever is about a girl who has a real bad fever so her parents put her in the hospital hoping it will help her get better. On her first night there, she hears weird noises in her room, and so she starts questioning the nurses and the volunteers about them. As soon as she st
Loraine
Mar 10, 2011 Loraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I was probably about 12 when I read this but it sticks out in my mind because my group of friends and I passed this book backwards and forwards between us for ages. We loved it! We were Point Horror Addicts and this one happened to be our favourite. I found my copy when I moved out of home and it now sits on my bookshelf reminding me of school days. I expect I will read it again one day.
C.
Jun 04, 2016 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, vintage, point-horror
Five Point Horror stars. Memorable for being the WORST hospital ever. Even without a murderer on the loose, it's frankly amazing anyone survives a stay here.
Lorna
May 11, 2011 Lorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
my favourite book ever read!!!!
Caroline Bennett
Sati Marie Frost
It's funny, I remember this being my favourite book when I was 8 or 9. I even chose it to go in our school's time capsule as an example of 90s teenage literature. Fast forward 20 years, and I found it a real slog to get through.

Main plot points: Duffy is sick with an unspecified illness that gives her a terrible fever, so with American healthcare being what it is, she's being kept in hospital. (I'm a little jealous. Here in England the doctor gives you Paracetamol and antibiotics and tells you t
SaturNalia
Duffy is in the hospital with an unexplained fever. At night, she hears something in her room and is sure something bad has happened. Then accidents start to happen, she almost walked into an empty elevator shaft, her wheelchair is pushed down hill, she's attacked in the shower. No one believes her, not the nurses, her family or friends. I liked the mystery and trying to figure out who was the bad guy and why this was happening. There were some medical issues I found hard to believe. She had to ...more
Michelle Toy
3 out of 5 Point Horror Book Stars!

(I rate these books compared to other Point Horror Books Only)

I read this as part of the #pointhorrorbookclub that I run monthly!

You can read the post here http://talesofyesterday.co.uk/2016/06...

This is more of a discussion than a review with highlighted areas of the book and has a comedy feel to the discussion to. Please be aware that as this is a discussion there will be spoilers.

Want to know more about #pointhorrorbookclub - check this out http://talesofye
NightAuditMan
I picked this up off of my wife's shelf as a quick read between my novels. Sometimes I like books that I don't have to think about.

As typical of teen books of the 90's this one spends most of the first half introducing us to the cast of Characters while also giving us set up for the end game. A lot of the time you go "uh-oh" as the main character is set-up for some bizzare scenario. Although I do have to admit the end-game was not something I had envisioned in the many directions my mind had th
Trisha
Nattie
Dec 26, 2013 Nattie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outstanding
I am biased. I have loved Diane Hoh's thrillers since I was about 10 years old, that's a good 24 years.

I don't recall ever having read this one before.

I loved every second of it. Tense. Suspense. Chills. WOW! Diane showed her genius when it came to creating the atmosphere of the story. A dingy and dreary hospital straight out of Halloween 2, brilliant!

OK, Duffy was a bit daft, but I can overlook that. I could not wait to find out who the baddie was.
Paula Brandon
Oct 23, 2016 Paula Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much to enjoy here! Elevator switcheroos, bathroom attacks, out-of-control wheelchairs, attempted smothering, drug switcheroos - it's the hospital from hell! For Duffy, anyway. Duffy's whinging and refusal to listen to doctor's orders was a bit frustrating, but this was lots of fun. Diane Hoh was THE best YA mystery writer in my humble opinion!
Karen
Mar 03, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of this author, kind of like Nancy drew in a way, but-and even though-I used to love Nancy Drew; this books was not near as simple. Great for teens, but with a more mature content while maintaining wholesomeness.
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Dec 30, 2008 Unapologetic_Bookaholic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Unapologetic_Bookaholic by: fans of teen suspense
Shelves: young-adult
The Train by Diane Hoh, which I recently re-read, was more entertaining. So far I have liked both. For teen suspense I am enjoying the character, setting, story and overall appeal of her stories.
Laiba
Jul 26, 2014 Laiba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didnt finish...
But Uswa you did tell me the end.....!!!
Trisher
Oct 12, 2013 Trisher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i am pretty sure my parents kept point horror solvent for most of the 90s. i bought another one of these at a thrift shop. i cannot wait.
M-Tear
Dec 13, 2012 M-Tear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M-Tear liked this book very much. She loves the surprise twist in the end, so didn't see that coming!
Patrick Ellard
A fast paced Point Horror book by stalwart Diane Hoh set in a hospital. Nothing particularly new about this entry but fans of the series won't be disappointed.
RunawayFromHell
Apr 09, 2016 RunawayFromHell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens 12+
A roller coaster of emotions, and constantly changing who your suspect to be behind it all, definitely a good, quick read for teens
Robyn Drummond
Dec 29, 2011 Robyn Drummond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it a couple of times and still think its really good!
Hayley
Mar 12, 2008 Hayley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: point-horror
This is an average book and I wouldn't say it was rubbish bit I remember it taking my longer than normal to finish it.
Shell
Apr 09, 2013 Shell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it at the time
Hanna
Dec 23, 2010 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I was younger. I can't recall how many times I have read it.
Rania
Apr 06, 2014 Rania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg i absolutly LOVE this book!!! He's like... One of my favorite ( i'm not kidding ) !
Mariya Kamran
Jan 24, 2014 Mariya Kamran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Loved Loved it! Went on a trip to Taize and took this book as a reading piece, Spent all my week reading it again and again!
Brittany
May 03, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I read this, but I do remember I enjoyed it very much, as I did everything else written by Diane Hoh.
  • The Window
  • Fatal Secrets (Point Horror, #24)
  • Hide and Seek
  • The Snowman
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Waitress
  • The Perfume
Diane Hoh is the author of fifty-seven novels for young adults. She grew up in Warren, Pennsylvania but currently resides in Austin, Texas. Reading and writing are her favorite things, also gardening and grandchildren.
More about Diane Hoh...