Start by marking “Prom Date” as Want to Read:
Prom Date

Prom Date (Point Horror)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  12 reviews
As prom approaches, a killer targets the most popular girls in school
Margaret Dunne’s afternoon job at her mother’s dress shop is usually tranquil, but in the weeks leading up to prom, her work is nonstop. She wouldn’t mind helping the popular girls try on dresses if she had a date too, but boys hardly look at Margaret. After a particularly grueling day taking abuse from t
Published March 27th 2012 by Open Road Media YA (first published May 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Prom Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prom Date

Sati Marie Frost
Oh good Lord, a later Point Horror that's actually really good. Blessed be!

Excuse me, I'm being facetious. I'm just so happy, though. I've certainly noticed - and I'm not the only one, this is something I see echoed in just about every Point Horror blog I've read - that the later PH novels are just, well, not great. Some of them are memorable, with wild plots often involving supernatural stuff, and a handful are excellent - The Stranger comes to mind (although that's not a great example, I have
Leah
Sep 03, 2012 Leah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teen fans of softcore dark fiction
Rating: 4 of 5

Prom Date was among the many Point Horror books I read in the 90s, between the ages of 12 to 16. In those days, when I wasn't buried in a Stephen King novel, nine times out of ten I was reading L.J. Smith, R.L. Stine, Christopher Pike, Caroline B. Cooney, or Richie Tankersley Cusick. Their novels always thrilled and entertained, and yes, there was a healthy dose of jumps and creepies.

Nowadays, I'd recommend the Point Horror books for younger 12- to 15-year-olds, who want to dip t
Alex
I've recently been re-reading a lot of my favorite childhood horror books, and this is probably the best one so far. Thank goodness my library is carrying some of them as e-books now, since they purged all of the hard copies! I'm having a lot of fun with these trips down memory lane.

I love that I had no idea who the killer was, even though I had read this before. (view spoiler)
Kylie
Stefanie
Really good, I liked that it was longer than most Point Horror, I liked that Mitch liked Margaret because he thought she was interesting. I also liked that there were so many possibilities for who was doing it, I like books that make me think and keep me guessing. Even though I've read it before it still surprised me who the culprit was and the ending... So creepy and weird but so fitting.
Poonam
Really enjoyed this book. The author kept us guessing with all the twist and turns but I was able to guess the culprit due to the small hints the author kept dropping.
Cloud
There was a point in my life where point horror novels were an obsession. This is one of the better ones
Sian Wadey
Prom Date by Diane Hoh

This is a massive guilty pleasure book for me. I don't know what it is that stuck with me, because it's not an amazing book, it's not amazingly written, the plot is alright and the characters are your typical teenage girls, yet I keep coming back to this book time and time again.
Robyn Drummond
A little bit longer than the other Point Horror books. but left room for a lot more intrigue.
Kathleen
Good one! I loved it! Deffenately a recomandation!! Kept me guessing till the ending..
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Iva
Iva added it
Aug 02, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Crystal
Crystal is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2015
Daniela Martínez
Daniela Martínez marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Tasha hastings
Tasha hastings marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Analise
Analise marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Bethan
Bethan added it
Jun 21, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
  • The Diary
  • Help Wanted
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Mummy
  • The Dead Game (Point Horror)
  • The Ripper
  • The Stranger
  • The Yearbook
Diane Hoh is the author of fifty-seven novels for young adults. She grew up in Warren, Pennsylvania but currently resides in Austin, Texas. Reading and writing are her favorite things, also gardening and grandchildren.
More about Diane Hoh...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Prom Dress
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • The Baby-Sitter II (Point Horror, #17)
  • The Babysitter IV
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
Titanic: The Long Night Funhouse (Point Horror, #9) The Invitation (Point Horror, #20) The Accident (Point Horror, #16) Remembering the Titanic