Start by marking “The Accident” as Want to Read:
The Accident

The Accident (Point Horror)

On the eve of her “sweet sixteen” birthday, a girl meets a ghost with a tragic past
Megan Logan’s sixteenth birthday party is in eleven days, and she still doesn’t have a date. For months she’s been secretly in love with her best friend, Justin, but she’s afraid to tell him how she feels. By the time her party starts, though, boys will be the last thing on her mind. While M
Published March 27th 2012 by Open Road Media Teen Tween (first published March 1991)

Rae Ganci Hammers
Jan 15, 2015 Rae Ganci Hammers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my copy to shreds as a kid. Held up as well as I expected for a nostalgic re-read. Oh, I just 'heart' middle-school horror. <3
Connie
Source: I read this book online via Open Library.
Cost: Free

Title: The Accident
Series: Point Horror #16
Author: Diane Hoh
Overall Rating: 4 stars

When a car accident seriously injures three of her friends, Megan begins to hear the voices of a girl called Juliet, who was in accident herself and died. All she wants is a week in Megan's body, and Megan thinks she's kind and gentle. Why wouldn't she let this girl have a week of life? But as the week goes on, Juliet's intentions become more dar
Michelle Toy
5 out of 5 Point Horror Book Stars!

(I rate these books compared to other Point Horror Books Only)

I read this as part of the #pointhorrorbookclub that I run monthly!

You can read the post here http://talesofyesterday.co.uk/2015/07...

This is more of a discussion than a review with highlighted areas of the book and has a comedy feel to the discussion to. Please be aware that as this is a discussion there will be spoilers.

Want to know more about #pointhorrorbookclub - check this out http://talesofye
Pao Yang
Feb 10, 2016 Pao Yang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a very interesting book because just how this girl who can see a ghost and how she have to make a very big decision with this ghost girl that was around her age but have die long ago. The decision was to trade place with the ghost for about a week and ....... Yup that's all I can see, don't want to spoils things
Angela
So far out of the Point Horror rereads, this has been my favourite. Yes, there are plot holes (which I'm choosing to ignore for enjoyment sake) and rather insipid characters who make silly decisions, but overall this had intrigue and mystery and was well thought out. Ended rather abruptly but I suppose that's just the given way for these books.
Bailey Peyton
Jun 17, 2017 Bailey Peyton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this such a high rating due to its unique subject matter. Most Point Horror novels deal with the typical murder mystery mixed with high school drama, and while this did have HS elements , (they are teenagers after all), but this one has the added attraction of an evil ghost who manipulates our protagonist into switching places with her in order to enjoy the sweet sixteen I believe it was, that she never had. I think what really grabbed me in the story was that no one noticed the diffe ...more
Jul 02, 2017 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was super predictable, but still enjoyable despite the fact that Justin wasn't a very compelling romantic interest. What really killed this book was the ending - the author could have written a much better and more interesting conclusion to the story instead of (view spoiler)
Tazzie Dee
In the tiny village of Lakeside, nothing much happens. And then one day, the shadow of a young girl called Juliet appears in Megan’s mirror. She begs Megan to trade places with her for a week. Megan is both reluctant and yet fascinated and curious and she eventually agrees to do so. But as the week goes on, Megan’s family and friends are attacked one by one and Juliet’s behaviour becomes more worrying. Can Megan really trust Juliet? And will she ever get her life back?

I read this as a teenager a
Emma Ruth
Feb 26, 2017 Emma Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love re-reading this book, okay?
Sati Marie Frost
This was one of my childhood favourites. Reading it again, I'm not quite sure how to feel about it.

I think I'd have liked it better if I'd read it under a different imprint, at a different time. It's not really a horror story, more of an urban fantasy, and as I'm reading these books in October (Halloween season!) horror and crazed killers are what I want. In addition, I came to this one off the back of Trick or Treat, so anything was bound to be a disappointment.

That said, it is a nice book. Th
Barakiel
Feb 11, 2017 Barakiel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommend this to teen girls who would like to read a thrilling, suspenseful supernatural story.
I thoroughly enjoyed it as a fifteen-year-old.
Kristina Morris
Nov 06, 2015 Kristina Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW~ A short read that captures the reader instantly! This book has action, adventure, romance, mystery, and ghosts! It's about a girl (Megan) who comes in contact with a shy ghost (Juliet) who wants nothing more than to celebrate the 16th birthday she never got to have. Megan has the opportunity to help this spirit have her dream before passing into the afterlife, but if she does help her, what will it cost her and will she ever be the same again? So much fun! I have students fighting over this ...more
Sara L.
Apr 09, 2013 Sara L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a genre that would usually interest me. I came across it on the library website and checked it out. I've been trying new genres lately and this did NOT disappoint! I was drawn in and could NOT put it down!

This book had incredible suspense, lovable characters, and intense plot. Reading YA as a parent makes me look at them through multiple lenses: my own perspective when I was a young adult, what I would think about my future Jr. High/High Schooler reading it, and my perspective as an
Gustav Taljegard
The Accident is a book made by writer Diane Hoh. The book is about a teenage girl who faces a strange women in a mirror. The mysterious lady is apparently dead and that happened for many years ago. The lady died in an accident and now she wants to trade lives with the poor teenager. The teenager takes her offer into consideration after she loses her voice. I personally think that this book has a very good potential but I am not a fan of the extreme unrealistic parts.
H.orses
Mar 22, 2010 H.orses rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason I had gotten this book in the first place was was because it seemed like a really good horror book. In the end it was a great book but I would have preferred it to be a little more scary. Nothing really bad happens in the end or in the middle... or in the beginning. No deaths, just a lot of people getting mysteriously hurt. I liked the writing and it was a fun short read, just wished it had actually scared me a little.
Emma Meade
May 20, 2012 Emma Meade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book when I was a kid. Re-read it today, 15 years later and it's as good as I remembered.
Eerie, haunting and original. Would you exchange places with a ghost hanging out in your bedroom mirror?
Cat
A middle school favorite.
Couldn't remember the title or author for years because I read it when I was so young, but the story has stuck with me to this day.
I'm afraid to read it again because I know I'll have a different view of it now.
Sally
Sep 14, 2012 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great, and properly freaked me out for a while! I found myself avoiding the mirror as much as possible while i was reading this book because it just felt so real! You know its a good book when it makes you feel like you're there!
Alexandra
Sep 30, 2012 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this book! I spent 5 years looking for it again but I couldn't remember the name. We have finally been reunited and I absolutely still love it. A great read. I would recommend it to anyone
Jessica
Quick review for this as I didn't read it in English, but in French.

The main thing that bothered me about this book was Marianne's (her name is Marianne, not Megan in French) decisions.

With that, I leave two stars.
Gayle Noble
Would you swap places with a ghost for a week? That's the dilemma facing Megan and, of course, nothing is as it seems. First one of my 2017 alphabetical re-read of the Point Horror Series. This one is ok but not as good as some of the others. Rating:3 stars.
Rachel Verna
Mirrors are not to be trusted ever.
Thomas Adcock
I give this book 4 stars only, and only, because of how out of left field Thomas's attack was.
Shell
Feb 05, 2012 Shell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favourite at the time.
Alex
Another fun Point Horror re-read.

It's pretty obvious from the get-go that (view spoiler) but I enjoyed it anyway.

Nuran
Fun to read if a bit predictable, but it's aimed at young youths so not to suprised by that. Great nostalgic read.
Hanna
Dec 23, 2010 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the books that inspired my writing when I was younger.
Colleen
Dec 30, 2013 Colleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read. Megan was a moron and the end was rather cliche and rushed but it was ok.
I finished it in a state of indifference and in a few months, I probably won't remember it.
Nov 20, 2010 - rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not really good; breezed through the whole book.
Brittany
May 03, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great book by Diane Hoh. This is a book where you'll be able to guess the killer but still enjoy the book.
RDNG 636 Fall 2015: The Accident 1 3 Nov 07, 2015 06:57PM
What's The Name o...: spirit in a mirror. possibly YA [s] 13 82 Feb 26, 2013 01:42PM
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • The Snowman
  • Mirror, Mirror (Point Horror, #13)
  • The Phantom
  • The Cheerleader (Point Horror, #18)
  • The Waitress
Diane Hoh is the author of fifty-seven novels for young adults. She grew up in Warren, Pennsylvania but currently resides in Austin, Texas. Reading and writing are her favorite things, also gardening and grandchildren.
More about Diane Hoh...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • Party Line
  • Prom Dress
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)