Start by marking “Franklin Rides a Bike: Read-Aloud Edition” as Want to Read:
Franklin Rides a Bike: Read-Aloud Edition

Franklin Rides a Bike: Read-Aloud Edition (Franklin the Turtle)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this Franklin Classic Storybook, Franklin is determined to ride his bike without training wheels, and he can’t understand why it seems so easy for his friends—or why it’s so hard for him.

This fixed-layout ebook, which preserves the design and layout of the original print book, features read-along narration by the author as well as music and sound effects.
Published May 17th 2011 by Kids Can Press (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Franklin Rides a Bike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Franklin Rides a Bike

Dolly
Jan 13, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with younger children
Shelves: 2013, childrens
This is an entertaining and helpful story in the Franklin the Turtle series by Paulette Bourgeois. I'm not sure why we never really got into this series (after all, we love turtles!) Now our girls are getting a bit old for stories like this, so I'm not sure how many more we'll read.

I found this book available in an ebook version through our local library and I decided that I would read it, even if our girls weren't interested. Our girls were willing to let me read it to them, and even though it'
Russell
Overcome by shame, Franklin ultimately seizes his life back from his crippling fears by wearing protective gear. Think about that for a second. A turtle puts on protective gear to get over his apprehension about riding a bike. Franklin is living protective gear!

Nice bits about beavers failing at monkey bars, badgers not being decent swimmers, foxes being pinch hitters, and porcupines rollerblading. These obvious metaphors for subcultures in Western society are hilarious yet insightful.
Jen
Franklin Rides a Bike features the friendly Franklin in a new adventure. This time all his friends have already taken their training wheels off, and Franklin wants to join them. He is, however, still Franklin, and as envious he is of his friends, he is too apprehensive to work on it and wants to be able to do it automatically without practice.

This is probably the Franklin book I like the most just for the sentiment. I like the message that you need to put effort in to get results, and that peopl
Greta is Erikasbuddy
This is a great book about self-esteem.

Learning to ride a bike without training wheels can be frustrating when all your friends learn before you. But with practice it can be achieved! But how do you build up the confidence?

That's what Franklin had to learn for himself.

While all his friends found riding their bikes super easy, there were things they struggled to learn, but in time achieved.

A super cute book if your little one is having trouble with something that needs practice.
Rebecca
This book hit home for us because we have one at our house who has decided to give up on riding a two-wheeler without those training wheels. Hopefully now he will be motivated to try again!
Gitty Mandel
This book teaches us to never give up and try again.
Tess
I like that this book advocates perserverance.
Jen
In the Spring, all of Franklin's friends are riding bikes with their training wheels on. Soon, though, they are all learning to ride on their own except Franklin and he's embarrassed to ride with his friends because he still needs them. Good lesson on how children develop differently and some take longer to learn some things than others.
Taylor Troncin
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

Wesley really liked this story. He doesn't know it, but he's getting a bike for his birthday! (We might have to read this story again when he gets it!)
Tam
This was the perfect book to read to my 5-year-old who is ready to stop using his training wheels but is still afraid. When Franklin fell after taking off his training wheels, he was ready to quit riding his bike entirely but his mother encouraged him. Even though he struggled, he never gave up.
Sharon
Just in time for Danny to remove his training wheels. We read this one several times during the week before the big experiment, and he sailed through his rite of passage.
Yates Marie
This book is about a turtle named Franklin. In this book he learns how to ride a two wheeled bike. This is good to read for students who are learning this skill.
Yvonne
Try, try, and try again. What a great book to show that not everything is easy and sometimes you have to do things more than once.
Danny
May 01, 2011 Danny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not sure where this one came from. I'm not a big fan of Franklin, so it doesn't get much play.
Theresa
learning a new skill is hard, a good early reader

Melanie
Nov 27, 2007 Melanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with children
Shelves: children-s-books
We love Franklin books!!!
  • Arthur's Family Vacation (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • On Noah's Ark
  • Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones
  • Flying High (DC Super Friends)
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation
  • Sheep on a Ship
  • The Lady with the Alligator Purse
  • Henry and Mudge and the Sneaky Crackers (Henry and Mudge, #16)
  • When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • A Second Is A Hiccup
  • Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)
Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bourgeois graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Occupational therapy from the University of Western Ontario in 1974. She was a psychiatric occupational therapist for three years before deciding to focus on her writing. She studied journalism at Carlton University then worked as a reporter for the Ottawa Citizen and CBC Television. She became a freelance journal ...more
More about Paulette Bourgeois...

Franklin the Turtle (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Franklin In The Dark
  • Franklin and Me
  • Franklin Goes to School
  • Franklin Plays The Game
  • Franklin's Blanket
Franklin Goes to School Franklin Is Bossy Franklin Wants a Pet Franklin In The Dark Franklin's Halloween