Surrounded By Water

Surrounded By Water

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Awards for stories in Surrounded by Water include First Place in the Glimmer Train Fiction Open for “While Surrounded by Water”; Second Place in the Glimmer Train Family Matters Contest for “Us Hungarians”; a 2010 Million Writers Notable Story award for “Buccaneers”; an Editor’s Pick in the Mid-American Review Fineline Competition for “Removal of Oneself From Corporate Ide...more
Published May 3rd 2012 by Press 53 (first published April 3rd 2012)

Tara
Some real standout stories, like her elongated Surrounded by Water, from Feeding Strays, and The Widow, the Pillow, the Sagging House. And lines like: "Tess has met two men in her life that change for the worse when they drink, and one of them is in her living room"; "he sits in his couch-dent and proclaims things." Freele is a wonderful, inventive writer.
Steve
Full disclosure, I wrote this as a blurb at the author's request, and not as a review, but I meant every word:

“Stefanie Freele's fiction offers the thrill of discovering details sure to be overlooked by a less alert eye. Her characters take control of their lives by insisting — as their author does — that each moment matters, and can become something resonant and moving and strange in the very best way. Read these rare stories, and you will learn all over again how to look.”
Carlos
Aug 17, 2012 Carlos rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I've been reading the stories from Surrounded by Water. They are quirky and brilliant. I particularly liked the short ones, wow! The title piece could be a novel. These stories are all fantastic.

This book should be on sale at airports, perfect reading for when you're waiting for the plane or flying.

Congratulations on a fine book!Surrounded By Water
David
These stories are wild enough that you almost don't notice how well written they are, how perfect the sentences are. Granted, there are some I like more than others, but stories like "Quack" alone make this book deserve a five star rating. Shorter stories, longer stories, funny stories, alarming stories- it's all here. Freele can do wonderful things with stories.
Ann
If a peppy dude in a polo shirt and boat shoes tried to sell me a time-share in Freele's head for two weeks every year, I'd seriously consider it. I'd consider it while enjoying my free luau.
Kobbie
A wonderful collection of sometimes quirky - sometimes heart wrenching - always thought provoking stories. A must read!
Yuvi Zalkow
a collection of beautiful little explosive flashes of fiction.
Renee
This is a novel of grief dealing with it in all forms. It is also a love story and one of suspense. It grabs you from the very beginning and will not let go until you finish it. It is so well written you will feel very involved with the characters. It's difficult to believe this is the author's first book. I am eager for more from her.
Bonnie ZoBell
A beautiful collection of stories by an exceptional writer.
Dena
Dena marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2012
Sue
Sue added it
Sep 10, 2012
Laurel Jarvis
Laurel Jarvis marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Kelly
Kelly added it
Dec 24, 2012
Tania
Tania is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2012
Stefanie was born and raised in Wisconsin and currently lives on a river in the Northwest.

Stefanie Freele is the author of the new short story collection "Feeding Strays" published by Lost Horse Press. Recent and forthcoming work can be found literary magazines such as: Glimmer Train, American Literary Review, Wigleaf, Night Train, Literary Mama, McSweeney's Internet Tendency, Frigg, Dogplotz, and

More about Stefanie Freele...
Feeding Strays: Short Stories Motel James Brown Is Alive And Doing Laundry In South Lake Tahoe The Flood of ‘09 Surrounded by Water