Start by marking “iOS Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)” as Want to Read:
iOS Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)

iOS Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  633 ratings  ·  45 reviews
This is the third edition of Conway and Hillegass' iOS Programming book, based upon the curriculum used at Hillegass' Big Nerd Ranch training facility in Atlanta, Georgia. The third edition is updated and expanded to cover iOS 5 and Xcode 4.3. In addition to features included in previous editions, the third edition includes coverage of new features, including Automatic Ref ...more
Kindle Edition, Third Edition, 590 pages
Published March 14th 2012 by Big Nerd Ranch (first published March 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about iOS Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about iOS Programming

Kevin Kirkhoff
This is widely considered one of the go-to books on learning iOS development. For the most part, the authors do a great job of explaining the concepts presented in each chapter...in the beginning of the book. Towards the end, it seems like topics were rushed. In their defense, they did state in the last chapter (the best one IMO) that they didn't go very deep into topics and that we should go deeper when we started our own projects.
One thing people need to know (which I thought was very confiden
Seth
This is, hands down, the best introduction to language and framework of APIs that I have ever read. Including Aaron Hillegass's Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X. My students and I have been able to puzzle our way pretty deep into Cocoa and the iOS APIs with only the assistance of this book.
William Cline
At about halfway through, I feel like I'm spending more time typing in example code than I am learning things. I'm also finding it a little difficult to extract general lessons out of the specific coding exercises.

I'm going to set this aside and refer back to it as needed.
Ettore Pasquini
Aug 04, 2011 Ettore Pasquini rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all iOS developers
Shelves: technology
A really good introduction to iOS development. The style of this book is very much "learn by example", letting the code speak in place of lengthy explanations. It's a little more wordy than previous books by Hillegaas (a true Objective-C veteran from the NeXTSTEP days), but it's still nicely terse and extremely clear.

The only real requirement before reading this book is some knowledge of C, even superficial, and basic understanding of OOP. Other than that, you're pretty much taken by hand by Hil
Mike Roberts
This book worked well for me. It's a lot of 'learning by doing', with completely led exercises. I'm ok with this since just the act of reading, typing and running is a lot of what I need to learn a new language, but I could see how others might not like something as prescriptive.

I have little to judge this by from a technical point of view since I'm new to Objective C and iOS development, but on the plus-side I liked how they erred towards code rather than UI wizards.

There was nothing on unit-te
Jory Anick
This is a fantastic reference book for developers who want to learn Objective-C and Cocoa Touch with the intention of writing iOS apps. Concepts like ViewControllers, Views, and the peculiar syntax of ObjC are demystified, and the included sample apps are easy to understand. Whatever is missing from this book can be found on Ray Wenderlich's tutorials site as well as Stackoverflow, this book really is the best place to get started.
Brett Smith
Was a good book, had errors as so many programming books have due to sloppiness... Overall, this helped me get up to speed with iOS 7, and learn about Storyboard, an area in which I was lacking.
hailbringer
+ broad range of topics
+ lots of material for the price
+ engaging writing style
+ nothing is used that hasn't been explained before
+ every discussed topic gets eplained in detail
+ concepts are introduced when needed
+ practice and theory always go together
+ excellent layout

- the main problem that comes with this approach:
general aspects are heavily intertwined with api specifics,
so it's hard to look them up or learn both separately. if
you wanna get all the precious general advice, you have to
nibbl
Aarti Parikh
Fantastic book, covers the breadth of the subject, intro to the language, tools, libraries and design patterns. The challenge problems at the end of the chapters are well defined and build on content covered. The forums have good discussions regarding the challenge questions. By the end you have built more then 20 little apps. May be a hard book for new programmers, as there are many concepts.
Trung Tín Nguyễn
Đọc lướt qua thôi nhưng nội dung tốt có điều dành cho Xcode 5 nên nhiều chỗ không áp dụng được, sẽ đọc kỹ vào ấn bản tiếp theo.
Hicham
actually this is what i was looking for , i found it :)
Linda
This is a decent introduction to iOS programming. It is intended to be a "hands on" book, leading the reader through examples and concepts. It tries to introduce concepts as needed and not burden the reader with more than is needed at any point in time.

It's a decent intro though probably not worthwhile for intermediate to advanced programmers. Experienced programmers looking for knowledge on Objective C or iOS might find it useful (as I did) but there may be too much of the book that you end up
Jeff Cai
it's good book for beginners.
February Four
I don't have the technical background necessary to do anything with this book, but what I saw was pretty neat. One day I might even be able to come back to it. My husband thought it was interesting just from looking at the cover, and he's the programmer, but he doesn't have time to read it now. Returning it to the library, and considering this one of those "I'm sure I'd like it if I understood it" sort of books. No rating because of this.
Stef
I'm not really sure if the whole 'copy all the code and you'll eventually know how to program' really worked for me. The book needs more challenges. Not optional ones at the end of the chapter, but it needs to challenge you while you're reading. I finished it (without doing the optional challenges). I know now where I find stuff in XCode and if things are possible in Obj-C, but I have not learned how to actually do them.
Ken-ichi
Good overview. Now I feel ready to get started and build something. I may have to update this review if I find some significant gaps in my knowledge.

Note that as of Feb 2012, the second edition of this book is somewhat out of date. Many of the templates the refer to are no longer in Xcode, and recent features like Storyboards and ARC are not covered at all. I believe the 3rd ed is coming out soon, though.
David Octavia
i want to read this bookand again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again .
pluton
It's a good book for novices in iOS development. But I can't recommend it for someone learning it on they own, because of the big changes in new Xcode 5 and iOS SDK 7. Some templates and technologies have changed since the publishing date, and it's not always clear how to match them with the ones in the book.
Darrin Holst
disclaimer: I skimmed about half of this book.

This is a huge book, packed with more information than you'll know what to do with. The frickin index is 10% of the entire book. I'll use it as a reference for if/when I need to do some of the advanced topics in here.
Richard Wall
Great iOS programming tutorial. Hillegass takes a step by step approach to teaching programming. He starts with the simple and moves to the more advanced topics. It is easy to read and follow along. At the end the read has enough knowledge to build your own iOS apps.
Mark Moran
Great introduction to iOS programming and Objective-C. I have many years of experience programming in C, C++, and Assembly, although most of that in the 1990s, so this was a very way to dive into iPhone development and get real apps up and running quickly.
Peter
Very good so far. Am compiling a list of good (and not-so-good) things as I go through it.

As time passed, decided that the next version of the course would use Swift. So I didn't finish the book. It was pretty good however.

Aurora library.
Jean-marc
Arguably, the best book on iOS programming by its breadth and technical insights: obviously, Joe Conway must have logged a lot of time designing and coding iOS apps. The book really help going through the free online class CS193 (Stanford).
Stephen
The definitive book on iOS. everything you need to know about developing for the iPhone or iPad is covered here. It's helpful to have some experience with ObjC before attempting this book but I don't think it's required.
Jake Wilson
I don't really like the way BNR teaches. They pretty much explain what to do, then just give you the code to copy word for word. This isn't a good teaching method (for me at least), but this book is invaluable as a reference.
paul
one of the best technical books I've ever read on iphone development. I typed in every line of code in this book, and did all the challenges, and it gave me a solid technical base on Cocoa Touch and iOS in general.
Bhavesh Bansal
This is one hell of a book. Its so well written that even a person who is not interested in programming will get excited and would want to read this. The author makes the difficult concepts looks so easy.
Rich
Nov 27, 2013 Rich rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rich by: Michael
Shelves: programming
One of the best programming books I've ever read.

Last two chapters are pretty hard- looks like the technical reviewer was asleep at the switch. Otherwise a fabulous book to learn iOS development.
Alex Gawley
Really awesome beginners guide. Didn't even know objective c before I started but finished with the knowledge and skills to build a pretty functional app. Nice work.
Jim Snavely
This is the book I point people to when asked how best to pick up iPhone development skills. Its a clear, no-nonsense guide that covers all the basics you need to know.
Lost notes on iphone 5 1 1 Jul 20, 2013 12:05AM
Fs: White iPhone 5 64GB Original Unlocked Available - $350 1 2 May 16, 2013 09:38AM
  • Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
  • Programming in Objective C
  • The Swift Programming Language
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • Even Faster Web Sites
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
  • jQuery in Action
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Effective JavaScript: 68 Specific Ways to Harness the Power of JavaScript
  • Tapworthy: Designing Great iPhone Apps
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • Learn Objective-C on the Mac
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Introducing HTML5
  • Professional JavaScript for Web Developers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »