Start by marking “Le laboratoire aux serpents (Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins Baudelaire, #2)” as Want to Read:

Le laboratoire aux serpents (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  118,588 Ratings  ·  3,420 Reviews
Cher lecteur,
Si tu cherches une lecture gentille, je crains que tu n'aies pas pris le bon livre. Le récit que voici fait sourire au début: un oncle fantaisiste, des reptiles fascinants... Hélas! ce début est trompeur, et les orphelins Baudelaire vont connaître bien des misères: une odeur détestable, un serpent venimeux, un accident de voiture, un cadenas rétif et le retour
Published May 2008 (first published August 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Le laboratoire aux serpents, please sign up.

Danny Bhagat
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Erika There are 13 books in this series, if that's what you mean. If you mean to ask if the others are as good as this, than that depends on your taste…moreThere are 13 books in this series, if that's what you mean. If you mean to ask if the others are as good as this, than that depends on your taste alone ;) (less)

Riley
Sep 09, 2015 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While re-reading this series my main question is why the hell is an incompetent banker the only adult helping these children. Like where are the police or social workers????
Kennia Belikov
Jan 27, 2016 Kennia Belikov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*first read Jan 21*

#RYBSAT seriously though, the ending to each book in The Series of Unfortunate Events makes me cry! This ending tore my heart!
Each book only gets better. I probably loved this one more than The Bad Beginning, if that's even possible. I have to say, Sunny had her shinning moments in this book and is quickly becoming my favorite character! She's just so adorable!

Mr. Snicket's commentary throughout this book was awesome and so hilarious! And his writing is so poetically magnific
Brendon Schrodinger
In this second volume, the Baudelaire children are sent to stay with another distant relative who is a herpetologist - studies snakes, therefore the reptile room of the title. What proceeds is another adventure of mishaps and contrived situations that see the children triumph, yet not at the same time.

There is nothing new to report here, I felt the same way about this novel as the last - a little bit creeped out, a lot bored. There is the explaining of words, which I do like and the hint of som
C.W.
Feb 23, 2016 C.W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5. Enjoyed this much more than the first one! Uncle Monty is seriously great. I mean, I really just want to see these kids be happy, but I can’t help but wonder how Lemony Snicket can make it worse for them...
Mark Lawrence
Feb 17, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, Celyn and I cruised on to book 2, pausing only for breath.

This book sets a pattern, a formula, that is repeated in each of the books we've read so far.

The children move to a new place.

All the adults are idiots.

Count Olaaf arrives in disguise and at some point a selected member of his theatre troop will show up, also in disguise (someone may have been bumped off to make space for one or both of them).

The children see through his disguise in an instant.

The adults don't believe them.

Count Ol
Tfitoby
Nov 05, 2012 Tfitoby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is good light reading to pass away a quiet evening at work. For a grown man such as myself I can't ask for or expect more.

It's an enjoyable sequel filled with all of the same reading pleasures (and all of the same pitfalls for the Baudelaire orphans) as novel the first. I've been reliably informed by Jay that I must read 5 of the same book before things start getting better. When using the term 'getting better' here Jay means 'the plot changes.'

This episode features Uncle Monty and I think
Carmen
Oct 05, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
These books are amazing. This book is a little darker than the first. It tells you right from the beginning that Uncle Monty will be killed. Other examples of darkness:

p. 51 ...he would slit the throats of the Baudelaire orphans as easily as you or I might eat a small butter cookie.

p.76 If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would already be pouring down these stairs like a waterfall.

p.88 The hallway was strangely quiet, and blank as the eyes of a skull.

p.96 It is a curious thing, the dea
Richard Denney
Mar 21, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!!

description

Finished this is one day! It was a great follow up to the first and was much more dark, dreary, and funny. I also really like snakes, so I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first. When I finished it though I couldn't help but wonder HOW this series goes on to 13 books? you can only drag on the same story line for so long until it gets irritating and boring. I can't promise I'll read all 13 but I will try. Now onto the third!

- Richard
The books I love and hate. I have rarely had a reaction to books like I have with these. I don't like them and yet I am compelled to read them - and their is a hint of a good plot in their somewhere.

I found some of the factoids spit out in the this one kind of interesting in an animal kingdom kind of way.
Kareena
Feb 15, 2013 Kareena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off quite pleasantly but contains a spoiler. It says that Uncle Monty dies which is quite unfortnate because he is a pleasant fellow. This book is as good as the first one and is definitely wworth the time it takes to read.
Brooke
Dec 29, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one a little bit more than the first book. Lemony Snicket is a great writer, perhaps a little morbid for children; focusing on a story of a man who harms and murders people, but still somehow a fun and entertaining read!
Bonnie
Poor Uncle Monty.
Billie
Apr 22, 2016 Billie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better and better tbh
I love Lemony Snicket's writing style and ugh I just love everything about these books
Aso
Jun 19, 2015 Aso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, children
Violet was brilliant!
Klaus was brilliant!
Sunny was adorable and brilliant!
and
the Incredibly Deadly Viper was brilliant!
Georgia Barker
Feb 29, 2012 Georgia Barker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
" It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?" Lemony Snicket, The original Jack Sparrow.
The Baudelaires are now living with their uncle Dr Montgomery Montgomery, a reptile enthusiast and are having the time of there lives, till Count Olaf decides he still wants them pesky kids so he can have the fortune. Fun ensues.

All the the series of unfor
Sandra Bašić
May 12, 2016 Sandra Bašić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simpa nastavak o nesretnim događajima troje siročića Baudelaire. Svaka čast na Snicketovoj mašti, taman kad su dječica na rubu sreće, eto njega da odmah pukne kontru i sve je opet jadno i žalosno... baš me zanima kako će serijal završiti!
Melissa
Feb 03, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereads, read-2015
*3.5 stars*

This was a fun, easy read, and I enjoyed this one even more than the first one. It's not the most amazing series ever, but they're just light, fun childrens books, and I'm really enjoying rereading them.
Julie
Originally read April 2014. #grandASOUEreread2015

3.5 stars! I can't figure out why I don't like this book as much as other fans do -- although it might just come down to Mr. Poe, because he's so heavily-involved in this one and I want to drop-kick him off the Mortmain Mountains. And I feel like I wanted more interjections/personal asides from Snicket.

But that's a subjective thing! The book itself is fun, and one of the poor kids' last glimmers of real happiness -- which is appropriately-timed, b
Reggie
Apr 11, 2016 Reggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, read-in-2016
Again, this series got away from me when I was a kid and I'm SO disappointed by that. This book was so great, not as lovely as the first book but that might remain my favorite in the series bc the shock of how much I loved it probably won't wear off any time soon. This one was only a small margin of a step down, and mostly because it just made me sad. hah, that's kinda the point of these books though, isn't it? Still great audiobook production value, can't wait to continue on with the series.
Ana
Mar 18, 2016 Ana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apesar do autor sempre deixar bem claro que não há final feliz nesses livros e me encorajar a ler algo mais positivo em outro lugar, não consigo deixar de me indignar com as atitudes de sr Poe. Ele acaba sendo indiretamente vilão também junto com Olaf. Espero que morra no final da série.

Sunny, pra mim, é definitivamente o melhor bebê da literatura. Não consigo lembrar de outro livro que tenha um bebê tão cativante quanto essa.
Francesca
I'm sorry to say that this is not among my favorite series. Yes, I love the three lovely siblings, really love them, and I do like the Lemony Snicket's ironic tone. Anyway, I find the plot too depressing, to the point where I'm not really enjoying the book. I will not continue with the following volume The Wide Window even though I have it here near me, recently borrowed from my library.
Maria
May 15, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know. It’s like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things.

I absolutely adore when tiny books have tall
Marts  (Thinker)
...And thus we continue the Baudelaire children's misadventures, along with the likes of Mr. Poe, we are introduced to Uncle Monty who unfortunately will spend but a short time with us, and then here comes Count Olaf again...
April
Sep 10, 2013 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
Eerie and creepy. I found this one a bit harder to read. Coz it really went overboard with the vocabulary and explanations. It also uses phrases repetitively. I would say, that the first book is better.
Rakiyang
May 21, 2016 Rakiyang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know it's only the second book, but so far it's my favorite book of the series. Some of the things I didn't like about the style of the first one were almost completely omitted here. Not only that, but I like how evil Count Olaf is. I like that I find him evil and repulsive and just an awful awful person. In most books I've read the villains has some sort of purpose, or tragic backstory, or they used to be good but then turned bad etc. There's always some sort of reason that makes me "understa ...more
Saakshi Roy
Oct 19, 2014 Saakshi Roy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I say anything else, please close your ears......... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Count Olaf is back! Oh my gods, just as the Baudelaire orphans were beginning to get happy, this idiotic man comes rampaging into the story. WHY?! And poor Uncle Montgomerry- Uncle Monty for us- he took such good care of the children and that heartless old rouge just slaughtered him....*wails*

What I liked about this book was the way it was written. I must say that the writer has a very unique way of authoring these
Nadine
Apr 11, 2016 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you."

This is my first reread of The Reptile Room and I absolutely loved it. I first read this series a long time ago when the books were first being published. I remember loving them, but I don't remember anything about the plot so I figured now is the time to reread the series.

What I love most about this series is Snicket's writing style. It's fun, direct, and easy to understand. It's the perfect writing style for children. He often ex
Dan
Aug 22, 2015 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy read. I read this mostly in one sitting and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it was a bit slower than the first book. These books are just so fun to read. The writing is great and the Baudelaire children are great protagonist that really knows how to outsmart every naive adult in this series. I'm excited to see where the rest of it goes.
Katie
Jun 08, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a cute book and a nice quick read
HI HI HI HI HI HI HI 39 221 Nov 28, 2015 07:04AM
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
  • The Landry News
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan, Delaware Valley, Pennsylvania, 1763 (Dear America)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)
  • Meet Josefina: An American Girl (American Girls: Josefina, #1)
  • The Unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm, #2)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • Emily's Runaway Imagination
  • Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3)
  • Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
  • Letters from Camp

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you.” 1103 likes