Start by marking “Le laboratoire aux serpents (Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins Baudelaire, #2)” as Want to Read:

Le laboratoire aux serpents (A Series of Unfortunate Events #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  96,498 ratings  ·  2,640 reviews
Cher lecteur,
Si tu cherches une lecture gentille, je crains que tu n'aies pas pris le bon livre. Le récit que voici fait sourire au début: un oncle fantaisiste, des reptiles fascinants... Hélas! ce début est trompeur, et les orphelins Baudelaire vont connaître bien des misères: une odeur détestable, un serpent venimeux, un accident de voiture, un cadenas rétif et le retour
Published May 2008 (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Le laboratoire aux serpents, please sign up.

Danny Bhagat
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Tfitoby
This is good light reading to pass away a quiet evening at work. For a grown man such as myself I can't ask for or expect more.

It's an enjoyable sequel filled with all of the same reading pleasures (and all of the same pitfalls for the Baudelaire orphans) as novel the first. I've been reliably informed by Jay that I must read 5 of the same book before things start getting better. When using the term 'getting better' here Jay means 'the plot changes.'

This episode features Uncle Monty and I think
The books I love and hate. I have rarely had a reaction to books like I have with these. I don't like them and yet I am compelled to read them - and their is a hint of a good plot in their somewhere.

I found some of the factoids spit out in the this one kind of interesting in an animal kingdom kind of way.
Kareena
This book starts off quite pleasantly but contains a spoiler. It says that Uncle Monty dies which is quite unfortnate because he is a pleasant fellow. This book is as good as the first one and is definitely wworth the time it takes to read.
Kennia Belikov
#RYBSAT seriously though, the ending to each book in The Series of Unfortunate Events makes me cry! This ending tore my heart!
Each book only gets better. I loved this on probably more than The Bad Beginning, if that's even possible. I have to say, Sunny had her shinning moments in this book and is quickly becoming my favorite character! She's just so adorable!

Mr. Snicket's commentary throughout this book was awesome and so hilarious! And his writing is so poetically magnificent! I am in love wi
Melissa
*3.5 stars*

This was a fun, easy read, and I enjoyed this one even more than the first one. It's not the most amazing series ever, but they're just light, fun childrens books, and I'm really enjoying rereading them.
Georgia Barker
" It is very unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?" Lemony Snicket, The original Jack Sparrow.
The Baudelaires are now living with their uncle Dr Montgomery Montgomery, a reptile enthusiast and are having the time of there lives, till Count Olaf decides he still wants them pesky kids so he can have the fortune. Fun ensues.

All the the series of unfort
Marts  (Thinker)
...And thus we continue the Baudelaire children's misadventures, along with the likes of Mr. Poe, we are introduced to Uncle Monty who unfortunately will spend but a short time with us, and then here comes Count Olaf again...
Carmen
Dec 06, 2013 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
Shelves: children, fiction
These books are amazing. This book is a little darker than the first. It tells you right from the beginning that Uncle Monty will be killed. Other examples of darkness:
p. 51 ...he would slit the throats of the Baudelaire orphans as easily as you or I might eat a small butter cookie.
p.76 If I wanted to harm you, orphan, your blood would already be pouring down these stairs like a waterfall.
p.88 The hallway was strangely quiet, and blank as the eyes of a skull.
p.96 It is a curious thing, the dea
Aprille
Eerie and creepy. I found this one a bit harder to read. Coz it really went overboard with the vocabulary and explanations. It also uses phrases repetitively. I would say, that the first book is better.
Saakshi Roy
Before I say anything else, please close your ears......... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Count Olaf is back! Oh my gods, just as the Baudelaire orphans were beginning to get happy, this idiotic man comes rampaging into the story. WHY?! And poor Uncle Montgomerry- Uncle Monty for us- he took such good care of the children and that heartless old rouge just slaughtered him....*wails*

What I liked about this book was the way it was written. I must say that the writer has a very unique way of authoring these
Mark Lawrence
So, Celyn and I cruised on to book 2, pausing only for breath.

This book sets a pattern, a formula, that is repeated in each of the books we've read so far.

The children move to a new place.

All the adults are idiots.

Count Olaaf arrives in disguise and at some point a selected member of his theatre troop will show up, also in disguise (someone may have been bumped off to make space for one or both of them).

The children see through his disguise in an instant.

The adults don't believe them.

Count Ol
Erin Ashley
The thing I liked most about this story was the oppurtunity for happiness. It is terrible that it never comes to fruition because of Count Olaf but having the idea floating in the air made it an enjoyable read before it all came crashing down in death and destruction. Lemony Snicket has a real gift for all things that are to be learnt. He is wise and really does make me want to be able to meet him. The Reptile Room stands as one of my favourites out of the series to date, definately giving this ...more
Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
Took me less than an hour to reread this. The adults are so frustratingly stupid in this book.

Also, many of these reptiles do not exist. And reptiles cannot blink. Or cry. But it was nice that it wasn't an OMG SNAKES ARE SCARY BOOK

Snakes are cute. Also, do not mix poisonous with venomous. There is a difference. Yes, even children's books must make sense to me.
Jbb Lim
A wonderful follow up of the series. As you were being brought into a new place, you will be thinking is this a new villain. Heck no! There were mysteries revolves in the 2nd book which makes it more interesting.

Author never fails to interact with his audience still, which is a good thing to stray your mind aways from some "tense" moment. Haha! As I was reading, I am aware that that the Baudelair children are more mature now. Sunny is one character that caught me by surprise in this book.

Let's
Heidi
Ahhhh, I just love these books.

I love how you can pick them up and read them in one sitting. For an hour or two you are immersed in this dark, gritty, morbid world of Lemony Snicket and the Baudelaire children. I think this is such a good middle grade series.

Snicket packs his stories with humour to break the tension which works so well. Whilst the foreshadowing tells you exactly whats going to happen, it works in a way to give you just enough information to make you want to find out how it happ
Zelie
Whitney
i really like this whole series! and for those that are like me, and you want to know what the story is about, here is the basic summary of the entire series...

It is about three kids and their parents die in a fire. They were given to a man named Count Olaf, and he is a really bad man. the reason he wants them is because in their parent's will, they left the children a HUGE fortune. He wants there money very badly. They only way he can get the money is to keep the kids until the oldest one is of
Ellie
I love this whole series. I read it alongside my daughter. We even liked the film, although it was somewhat disappointing. Clever and witty and easily enjoyed by both children and parents with a wicked sense of humor and a good feeling for the nastiness of child readers while not crossing the boundaries of what truly terrifies them (cf. my review of George Orwell's Animal Farm!).

Unlike Oprah, I do not think children are just like grown-ups only smaller. They are qualitatively (not just quantitat
Robert
"Too much of everything is just enough."
Barlow & Weir

On the heels of completing A Bad Beginning earlier today, I finished The Reptile Room this afternoon. The Reptile Room is the second book in A Series of Unfortunate Events.

The Bauderlaire children continue their misfortune in this exciting tale that has them combating Count Olaf once again.

Despite never having a happy ending, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny begin this book with happy times. After escaping Count Olaf's plot to marry Violet and tak
Camille ღ
I do not know why I'm still reading this but I am, so just bear with me.
I know this will lead me nowhere near happy endings but I still think it's good.
Okay, so the hedges and the house looks crazy. Since this book is all about misfortunes and bad luck, I assumed that Dr. Montgomery will be worst than Count Olaf but I was wrong. He was really cool and interesting. Dr. Montgomery or as the Boudelaire children calls him, Uncle Monty physical description reminds me of Peter Pettigrew or Padfoot of
Katherine
This is the second book in the series of unfortunate events. I enjoyed this book and can not make up my mind whether i preferred the first or second more, this one probably pips it for me. I love Montgomery as a character and despite hating snakes liked the concept of the reptile room. I suppose whats interesting about this book and what I like is that the Orphans have a brief period of enjoyment where they are not being stalked by the mysterious count Olaf. I dislike the fact that the premises ...more
Luca
Series of Unfortunate Events: The Reptile Room
Lemony Snicket
3.5/5 Stars

Text Review

The sequel to The Bad Beginning, where the 3 children are yet again, finding another home for them to be looked after, after the last... turned out to be a psycho maniac that wanted to all their money.
The children travel to their new guardian who is a herpetologist. Could this guardian be as bad as the last and slowly plan the children's death or could he have a kind heart and be the first sight of sunshine that t
Ilaria ♡
Ahhhh I LOVED this even more than the first one.
The writing is SO brilliant and captivating, it just makes me want to keep reading on and on.
The whole scenery is creepy and fascinating, and the witty Baudelaires the best ever.

If you've never read this series, just give it a try, it's definitely worth it!

Ilaria.
Anna
paraphrasing: there are some terrible things that will happen to the kids ... you really don't have to keep reading this story ...

don't you just want to beat Mr. Poe over the head?
can't wait to read the next chapter of this story ...

"Waiting is one of life's hardships. It is hard enough to wait for chocolate cream pie while burnt roast beef is still on your plate. It is plenty difficult to wait for Halloween when the tedious month of September is still ahead of you. But to wait for one's adopted
Kirsten
I wanted to LOVE these books, but I only got to book 4 (though I read the last one too), and found them annoyingly predictable by then.

I love that their tone is maudlin and they are so creative in so many ways. I liked the three children: Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. My favorite parts are the author asides - where he has to explain a word or some universal life aspect.

Unfortunately that aspect will never be captured in a film version - as with Harry Potter - the humor is observational, in the aut
Alyssa Miller
“The Reptile Room” is the second book in “A Series of Unfortunate Events”. This is an outstanding book, just like the first, and written by Lemony Snicket. The Baudelaire children, once part of Count Olaf’s care, are now getting moved into Uncle Monty’s care. Uncle Monty is a herpetologist, and plans on taking the children to Peru. Uncle Money gets a new assistant, Stephano, which is Count Olaf in disguise. When the children find Uncle Monty dead, they have to prove that Stephen is actually Coun ...more
Orry
“The Reptile Room” took awhile to read. I read this book because my mom told me it was good. I thought “The Reptile Room” was a good book even though it was slow moving. The author used long and hard to pronounce words that is why it was slow moving and the author had a stupid sense of humor that made the book good.

“The Reptile Room” is about three children that lost their parents in a house fire that burned their mansion to the ground. The three children’s names are Violet, Klaus and Sunny. The
MiLi
Esta es la segunda entrega de una saga de trece libros que cuenta la desafortunada historia de tres hermanos que quedan huérfanos de la noche a la mañana. Con mucho ingenio y humor negro, el autor relata la vida de los hermanos mientras buscan un lugar donde asentarse y vivir felices. Es una historia esencialmente trágica, pero narrada con tanto dinamismo e ingenio que no parece.

The reptile room me gustó mucho más que el primero, The Bad Beginning, principalmente por el ritmo que toma el autor y
The Neverlanders: The Reptile Room - Goodreads Discussion 4 18 Feb 09, 2015 05:25PM
HI HI HI HI HI HI HI 36 194 Feb 05, 2015 03:03PM
The Nooks of Books: The Reptile Room 1 1 Jan 28, 2015 03:10AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 6 Nov 08, 2014 07:16AM
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)
  • Island of the Aunts
  • Polar Bears Past Bedtime (Magic Tree House, #12)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Al Capone Shines My Shoes (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #2)
  • The Unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • Revolting Rhymes
  • Frankenstein Doesn't Plant Petunias (The Adventures Of The Bailey School Kids, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2)
  • The Name of This Book Is Secret (Secret, #1)
  • The Reality Bug (Pendragon, #4)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5) The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4) The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)

“This is my knife. It is very sharp and very eager to hurt you.” 1072 likes