Start by marking “Doors in the Air” as Want to Read:
Doors in the Air

Doors in the Air

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Doors in the Air is the story of a boy who is fascinated by doors. He marvels at how stepping through a doorway can take him from one world to another. He is especially enthralled by the doors of his imagination, which he refers to as "doors in the air." He delights in discovering that when he passes through these doors, he leaves behind all feelings of boredom, fear and u...more
Published 2012 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Doors in the Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doors in the Air

Amy Musser
The little boy in this book knows the ins and outs of his house. He knows the bedrooms and the knick-knacks, the furniture and the closets, but best of all are the doors. Doors that allow him to go in and out. Doors that open wide and let him pass through to a magical world of imagination. There’s a door for every mood or thought or idea. He never knows what will be on the other side of the door, but he can’t wait to find out.

Weale’s inspiring rhyming text harmonizes perfectly with Pratt’s surr...more
Dolly
Jul 09, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book is a lyrical ode to doors. The story has a dreamlike quality as the little boy goes in and out of doorways of his house, a tropical garden, an area that looks like the door storage place for the Scare floor at Monsters Inc., as well as to rounded adobe houses. It's all quite bizarre, especially when he rides on a door like a magic carpet.

Overall, the poetry is fun to read aloud, with a rhythmic flow and solid rhymes. The acrylic paint illustrations are colorful and have an entertainin...more
Peanut
MOMMY: What a great story about the power of imagination. Where ever you are, you can use your imagination to unlock the doors to other places. I don't think Peanut really got the gist of this book but I'll mark it to read again in the future.

PEANUT: He liked the illustrations and seemed to listen to the story. He may be a bit young to understand the concept so we'll definitely revisit this one.
Wooden Horse
When our storyteller read this a few months back I was busy in the office and wasn't able to hear the story. I read it yesterday and I can see why she loved it so much. There are lots of things to look at while reading the poetic words of David Weale and Pierre Pratt. We had fun finding the bird and fish on most of the pages. The little guy was highly amused by the bird poking its eye through the keyhole. I'm always torn as whether to read through the book or to take it at a slow observational p...more
Rima Aroutiounian
This book is about doors everywhere, hence the title. The kid is looking for closet door, kitchen doors etc. The pages have fun illustrations, rhyming, good for phonological awareness.
Abby
This book is written in rhyme, and it starts out with a little boy telling the reader about all the things in his house (walls, hooks, closets, etc.). Then he starts talking about how much he likes doors, and it becomes a strange, awkward poem about imagined doors being a way to escape bad things in real life. Even the actual verses the author writes are awkward here, and I feel like something was missing from the book. The only real redeeming factor (and the reason the book got two stars instea...more
Kira McGann
Samantha
Some of the rhyming text was nice and a few of the pictures, but this book didn't go anywhere. It felt like it was trying to be a modern day Oh The Places You'll Go, but it isn't really inspiring and it wanders. The beginning of the book felt dark and had some illustrations that I imagine might scare children (example: the boy running through the legs of an ostrich in a dark room).
Kathryn
So colorful and fun. I liked how the story rhymed and all of the fun ways doors open up things for us. The ending was very flat and I didn't quite get the sesame, sesame east of me, west of me and how it went with the rest of the story.
Shelli
Some of the pictures were really cool but there was something just missing from this book. Maybe the author was trying to hard and it just didn't come across well???
Kendra
Either my brain isn't working in the abstract today, or much of this seemed disconnected. It just didn't flow like I wanted it to with the beautiful illustrations.
Ruth
My son really loved the illustrations, and the magic incantation for opening doors in the air. He's running around yelling, "Sesame, Sesame, Snap!"

Marie
I thought this idea was very cute and I enjoyed the illustrations as well.
Amanda Baskin
Didn't care much for the pictures, but good writing.
Shanshad Whelan
Disappointed. Could have been so much better.
Edward Sullivan
The limitless possibilities of imagination.
Laurel
Laurel added it
Sep 04, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Marie
Marie added it
Apr 09, 2014
The True Meaning of Crumbfest Chasing The Shore: Little Stories About Spirit And Landscape Three Tall Trees An Island Christmas Reader Them Times