Start by marking “The Duke's Tattoo (Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Duke's Tattoo (Horsemen of the Apocalypse, #1)

The Duke's Tattoo (Horsemen of the Apocalypse #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,003 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
First comes revenge then comes love and marriage in The Duke’s Tattoo, a historical romance set in Regency England.

After being grievously wounded at Waterloo, Jeremy Maubrey returns from war to find his new life as the tenth Duke of Ainsworth painful, dull and full of obligations. That is, until he wakes to find himself indelibly decorated in a mortifying place and mockin
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 252 pages
Published March 31st 2012 by Aspen Street Press

To ask other readers questions about The Duke's Tattoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke's Tattoo

Blacky *Romance Addict*

"Damn her eyes!"

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This was such a lovely read, and quite refreshing, I don't think I've ever heard of a plot like this one Photobucket

The story

The famous war hero, tenth Duke of Ainsworth, wakes one morning with a terrible headache. And a terrible itch, down there Photobucket On closer inspection, he finds he has been shaved and his maleness tattooed Photobucket He can't really remember what happened to him, only that it hurt like hell. Still, he was able to remember one detail - the eyes of his devilish female fiend! Photobucket
That de
Navessa

This could have been awesome. The first 30% was. It was original, hilarious, and well written.

But then the near-simultaneous internal monologue "I love yous" came far too early. Like, insta-love early. Not a deal breaker, necessarily, because this is historical romance, and let's be honest, we expect shit like that from this genre, don't we? However, something about the way it unfolded in this case was uber cringe-worthy.

The last 40% was nothing but filler. It felt like the author brought the
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

4,5 Stars

Starting from a decidedly unusual, or better, a decidedly outlandish premise, Miranda Davis has managed to remind me of all the right reasons why I've always loved the Regency genre so much. In just one book. And a debut, no less.

Only Miss Prudence Haversham's allure could turn a vengeful Duke of Ainsworth into an ivy-climbing Romeo and with all the charm and mood of an era encased in the eccentric twists and turns of the narration and the phrasing, the author deftly weaves us a spar
Jill
Oct 14, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jill by: Keri

THIS JEM...AH GEM, IS A MUST READ FOR HISTORICAL ROMANCE LOVERS

Jeremy (Jem) Maubry, Duke of Ainsworth has returned from the Battle of Waterloo with a badly wounded left shoulder. But that's not his biggest problem. He's out for revenge against the perpetrators who abducted, drugged and marked him. His lower abdomen surrounding his arbor vitae now sports a tattoo!

Prudence Haversham has waited nine long years to take retribution against the man who accosted her and ruined her life. Togeth
Karla

4 1/2 Grinning Like Mad Stars! Boy was that fun! I never expected to enjoy this book as much as I did.

Smart, witty, fun, a wonderfully crafted historical romance. Amazing dialogue with some great one-liners that had me laughing out loud. A unique storyline, with charming, endearing characters that owned me throughout the book. I loved Ainsworth and I adored Prudence, aka Your Grace and Miss Haversham, Jem and Nymph or Mr. Procrastinator and Miss Independent! In other words, the PERFECT couple!!
Tammy Walton Grant
Chapter 1
In which our mortified hero has no one but himself to blame. Yet.

London, August 1815
The Morning After

"Bollocks, sir!" Smeeth exclaimed. "Beg pardon, Y'Grace."

It was not at all like the duke's valet to stare at a man's apparatus with such squinty-eyed concentration. This made His Grace all the more uncomfortable, if that were possible.

How do you NOT have to keep reading a book when it begins like that?

A unique (and hilarious) premise, witty prose and clever dialogue that engages the rea
Ian
May 28, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pretty much anyone. It's great fun.
"His erection swayed with each step, his heavy sac hung pendulous between his thighs."

Disgraced many years earlier by the Duke of Ainsworth, Prudence Haversham has resigned herself to living as a spinster, but she's not averse to exacting her revenge on the man who sullied her reputation. Her co-conspirators drug and kidnap him and put a ribald tattoo on his private parts.

The Duke of Ainsworth is determined to track down the culprits and exact his own revenge, but the only clues he has are
KatLynne
“You’re bare as a babe and bloody well savaged all around yourself!”... Ainsworth followed his man’s gaze downward to discover the source of Smeeth’s wonderment. Now he too stared agog.”

... “On the deeply mottled skin of his taunt lower abdomen, a tattoo bracketed the duke’s membrum virile” as if to glorify his generative organ…..

And so begins Miranda Davis’ debut novel, The Duke’s Tattoo. Who could resist reading more? Thanks to my GR friend, Keri, this little gem came under my radar. Intrigue
Keri
4 1/2 fun stars for me.

This was an absolute giggle worthy read as Jem, the Duke of Ainsworth wakes up to a hazy drugged filled nightmare to find that someone evil has shaved his neither regions and tattooed his "memberum virile"! (sorry couldn't type it without chuckling again.) Once he he has found this vile culprit he will release all the power behind his dukedom down on their head. They will feel his wrath. After all he isn't one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse for nothing!

For her pa
Kinga
Nov 30, 2012 Kinga rated it really liked it
Here is what happens: the Duke of Ainsworth wakes up one day with a massive hangover, little memory of what happened the night before and a tattoo on his.., well, down there. I’m tempted to leave this review at that, because what else can I possibly say to top the awesomeness of this first sentence. Seriously, that’s all you need to know. It’s like the movie Hangover meets historical romance (therefore I immediately casted Bradley Cooper as the Duke of Ainsworth).

There is revenge upon revenge, l
Catherine
Oct 28, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Catherine by: Tammy Walton Grant
I have loved many of the books that I’ve read, but it has been a long time since I can remember being as flat out delighted as I was when reading this book. I finished it and just wanted to squeeze it to me and bask in its awesomeness. (Not quite comfortable when it’s an ebook you’re reading) It was so frickin’ adorable!

Ainsworth and Prudence have a…unique start to their relationship. One night, while out enjoying himself on the town, the duke is nabbed and drugged by Prudence’s well-meaning s
Lady Wesley
Jan 24, 2015 Lady Wesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Regency romance readers
Recommended to Lady Wesley by: TBR by GR friends; great Amazon reviews
Wendy
Oct 23, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Jill
The tenth Duke of Ainsworth Jeremy wakes up to discover he has required a tattoo on a most sensitive and private place, after a night of...well…he can't quite remember. Prudence has harbored a grunge against the Duke of Ainsworth for ruining her reputation as a teenager. Not Jeremy but his older brother Phillip. When presented with the opportunity to revenge herself, unaware that Phillip has died, she snares the wrong man. "Bollocks!" When Jeremy plots his revenge for the tattoo, things turn in ...more
Searock
A new favorite!
The impression I had when I closed the book was that I'd just read a mashup of all my favorite aspects of Loretta Chase's Carsington series (a beloved set of books on this reader's favorite shelf) but with some delightful new keen and clever bits this author brings to the writing table.

Review in the works.
I really mean it this time as this book is too delightful to not praise more appropriately.
Kathleen
I have mixed feelings about this one, but in general, it's a fairly enjoyable début romance with a unique plot. The author is clearly talented. I might read book 2 when it comes out.

The good stuff: I liked the humor and dialogue. Some parts were poignant, some witty, and some jolly good fun...a nice mix. I appreciated the minimal use of introspection and rumination. When things went south for the heroine she stayed strong, playing her cards with no self pity and no guilt tripping. I loved the h
Steelwhisper
This isn't a romance. So sorry, but I want the bitch of a heroine behind bars instead of getting a HEA with the man she mutilates. How anyone can think this is even vaguely funny is beyond me. This was an age when tattoos were forever. How anyone can condone that such a kind of revenge is taken out on someone, in such a completely haphazard manner to boot (so it hits the wrong person!), is beyond me.

How the author can believe she can come even halfway close to retribution for the bullshit her h
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Apr 27, 2013 Lauren (Sugar & Snark) rated it really liked it
Shelves: bodice-rippers
Psssst let me tell you a scandalous secret. (In case you haven’t read the book)- The Dukes Tattoo is below the belt and in a very um, “manly” area!
 photo tallywacker_zps6319d894.gif

When we start this book we find Jeremy Maubrey the Tenth Duke of Ainsworth is just waking up, with a terrible hangover, little memory of the previous night and most disturbingly his private parts have been shaven and tattooed.
Smiley

The master mind behind this humiliating plot is Miss Prudence Haversham and her motive is revenge. But little does she know
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
WOW! I loved this book! It was refreshingly different and brimming with humour. I’m sure it wasn’t perfect, as other reviewers will no doubt attest to, but it was so entertaining that I didn’t really care.

I was totally swept away by Miranda Davis’s unique writing style. To give you a flavour, here are a few of my favourite quotes:

Hers was a full-blown, snot-discharging, eye-swelling and nose-reddening deluge of despair.

Delicate laces effervesced at swanlike ivory throats. Dyed ostrich plumes eru
Caz
Jul 21, 2012 Caz rated it really liked it
I have to say that when I read the "blurb" for this book which detailed the initial premise, I wasn't convinced this would be a book I'd like, principally because it sounded too implausible for my taste. But I read other reviews (all of them pretty good) and given it's selling for less than two quid on Amazon, I thought "why not?"

I'm pleased I gave it a go, because Miranda Davis is clearly a talented writer. Despite the rather odd circumstances that lead to the meeting of the hero and heroine (s
Lady Heather
Apr 16, 2013 Lady Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance, historical fiction
Recommended to Lady Heather by: based on Ian's review :)
Really enjoyed this story!

Prudence was AMAZING!
Loved her sass, wit, strength, and intelligence.

Jem.... ah, Jem. You were lost, and now your found... too bad you had to go about it the hard way.
All I want to say to Jem is, COMMUNICATION!!!

Nicely done Ms. Davis!

Favorite Quote:
"Prudence watched him approach from under the covers. His erection swayed with each step, his heavy sac hung pendulous between his thighs. His cock preened under her avid gaze. His veined shaft thickened, its foreskin reced
Victoria Vane
Mar 23, 2013 Victoria Vane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
Absolutely loved it. Can't wait to read the rest of this clever, witty and thoroughly engaging series.
This one is going on my KEEPERS SHELF!
♡Karlyn P♡
Oct 17, 2012 ♡Karlyn P♡ rated it it was amazing
4.5! Great writing and a fun story. Thanks Tammy for the recommend! ;-)

(full review to come)
Steamywindows♥♫
My review for this book needs to start with a note: I believe this is the first novel of a self published author. For that reason, I find myself wanting to give extra stars, and rate this between and 3 and four star. Well done! I sincerely enjoyed this story. It is definitely an original work, which in this day and age of fanfic knock offs, I must admit I appreciate.

The story begins with the events of "That Day", written in infamy - as well as in the Duke's skin, in the form of an indelible ta
Janell Sutherland
Jul 24, 2012 Janell Sutherland rated it liked it
This book was aggravating because it had some pretty good bits, but it also had some pretty annoying bits. I'll start with the good - the romantic leads meet when she has him kidnapped and tattooed in his nether regions, which is an unconventional start. They also had some amusing conversations, and the writing had bits of sparkle, such as: "with breath so inflammable he might've spontaneously combusted had they started a fire to warm the room. It was August, however, so he was safe from acciden ...more
Nov 21, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Catherine
4.5 Stars

I downloaded the free sample of The Duke's Tattoo on my kindle after reading my friend Catherine's fabulous review of the book on Goodreads. I just couldn't resist trying it and by the end of the first page I knew I had a must read book in my hands so I immediately purchased the full story. After all there aren't many books that open with the hero waking up one morning to discover a rather embarrassing tattoo framing his private parts! It would have been bad enough if Jeremy had had a f
Kathie (katmom)
Oct 16, 2012 Kathie (katmom) rated it it was amazing
I saw the chit chat about THE DUKE'S TATTOO in my TL and had to check it out.

This was charming! And fun...and sweet.

And Jem (Jeremy), ah, a swoon worthy man who can barely string a sentence together when it MATTERS. He was a JOY.

SHE, Prudence, was wronged by his brother, the 9th Duke of Ainsworth. She's plotted her revenge for years. She really should have made sure she had the RIGHT guy before she had a tattoo applied to his, um, nether regions!

HE is going to make HER pay. Well, until he meets
Melissa
Jan 25, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This book has one of the craziest premises I've ever encountered in a historical romance. Prudence Haversham is a genteel spinster in her late 20s, who at 16 was cast out by her brother when he accused her of wanton behavior with their house guest, the Duke of Ainsworth. The truth is, the duke accosted her and she was innocent, but none of that mattered to the brother. So for years Prudence has been living in Bath with two loyal servants, working as an apothecary and healer.

When the story opens,
Katrina Passick Lumsden
I would have liked this one if not for the over-the-top stubbornness of Prudence. When Jeremy tries to talk to her toward the end, she runs away and refuses to listen, locking herself in her house and only responding to him through an open upstairs window.

I guess it's supposed to be humorous...? I just found it infantile and worthy of more than a few eye rolls.
Dina
3 1/2 stars (rounded down to 3 stars because I didn't like the amount of time the H/h spent apart from each other)
Tarra
Jun 18, 2012 Tarra rated it really liked it
I was still on my historical romance kick, but I wanted to read a HR that was a little outside of the box. I saw this book on Laura, the Highland Hussy's feed, and since it was only a couple of bucks from amazon, I went for it. So glad a did! Definitely a smart, fun book.

The premise is obviously what lured me. A young woman gets revenge on dastardly man by tattooing him in his nether regions. I've never read that plot point before in an HR! First revenge, and then love! And a whole lot of fun st
  • A Wild Night's Bride (The Devil DeVere #1)
  • Practically Wicked
  • A Tryst with Trouble
  • The Price Of Desire
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • The Lady's Companion
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • A Loyal Companion
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Not Wicked Enough (Reforming the Scoundrels, #1)
  • Fallen Angel
  • An Infamous Marriage
5421963
Miranda Davis has loved Regency romances since Mr. Darcy won Elizabeth Bennett’s heart. (Not that Miranda is 200 years old.) Miranda’s mother must take responsibility for her daughter's love of Georgette Heyer.

Her current Austen favorite is Persuasion. It bumped P&P out of the top spot because the author's tart social commentary is completely brilliant.

At various points, she earned degrees f
More about Miranda Davis...

Horsemen of the Apocalypse (3 books)
  • The Baron's Betrothal (Horsemen of the Apocalypse #2)
  • His Lordship's Last Wager (Horsemen of the Apocalypse #3)

“How long would it take for her sadness to ease? How long must she wait to forget a man who would've been her ideal, were he not who he was? The answer: too long. But wait she must.” 3 likes
“Courtesy is the universal social lubricant.” 2 likes