Start by marking “The Sword and The Prophet (Syren, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sword and The Prophet (Syren, #1)

The Sword and The Prophet (Syren #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Fifteen year old twins Lily and Tyler are on a mission. Escape from their abusive mother, hop a train to Charleston, South Carolina, and don't get caught. They've been kept in virtual seclusion their entire lives, and in one night make a break for it and succeed. However, something isn't right with their new Aunt and Uncle, and they realize they've escaped one nightmare an ...more
Published March 29th 2012 by Pretty Wycked Designs (first published March 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword and The Prophet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword and The Prophet

Maria
This book has been given to me by the author to review it.

That was an unusual book! “The Sword and The Prophet” by Missy LaRae is the first book in the Children of Syren series and I have to admit that it was an interesting read! I didn’t know what to expect from this story and it was nice to realize that this book kept my interest from the beginning. I’m not used to such kind of stories but the author managed to create a unique world-building and interesting characters.

The story begins with the
Ivana

-- review originally posted on Willing to See Less

Missy LaRae delivers a fresh and unique sci-fi YA novel with a very interesting world building and Syren lore. It was great to read about something that hadn't been done to death already in YA, no matter how interesting a spin the author puts on it. The world of LaRae's making is teeming with possibilities, even though the first book just sets the stage for what I hope will grow into an epic space battle in the books to come.

The Sword and The Pro
Ivana
-review originally posted at Willing to See Less

The Sword and The Proph
Izzy Lightfleur
Wow. Just......Wow.

I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet. The main character in this book are Lily and Tyler, and they're about to break out of their house. This book, The Sword and the Prophet, takes place in Florida and.....OUTER SPACE?!

This book has a plot that I enjoyed reading. Tyler and Lily are breaking out of their house, to get away from their mother. But things don't go quite right. >:) And I won't tell you what went wrong. Mwuahahaha!

So, now I have to say this. The plot..Was just
Melissa
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings on August 17, 2012. Click Here to Read it on my Blog

I have to admit that when I was first reading this book, I didn't like it all that much. I was set to give it a two star review until about half or three quarters of the way through, but then it started to grow on me, and so I increased the rating.

One thing that was somewhat off putting was the main characters accents. The characters were from the south and the accents were written
Juana
This novel was given to me by the author of the book, Missy Larea . It is the first book I have read about syrens. I was soo engrossed into the story, the main characters were easy to like from the moment that they are introduced in the story. The author created a great story that makes you imagine it all by just putting a few details of it. I really liked the whole story. Tyler and Lily are the best charecters besides Talon who I think I am going to love lol.

I loved the bond that Rory has towar
Nic
Lily and Tyler once felt loved, happy, and safe, but that was a long time ago The inseparable twins realize that this is their only chance to escape their abusive mother so they storm off in the dead of the night, seeking relatives in Charleston.. They soon find out that their mother was the least of their worries. The twins must look for each other’s trust in order to unravel the mystery behind their own identities, in order to stay safe and fulfill their destinies.

I enjoyed the first half o
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Where the magic happens: http://toughcriticbookreviews.blogspo...

So here's the good, the bad, and a little bit of the ugly...

The first half of the book was a beat down. I kept having to put the book down, come back, put the book down, come back, put the book down, come...you get the point. Yes captain obvious, it got off to a rough start.

By the time the alien theme is introduced, it seems totally misplaced and completely random. We go from the abusive, troubled youth of two teens to pods and spa
Leslie Ferdinand
Twins Lilybelle and Tyler are determined to escape their abusive mother. Despite the years of terrible abuse they've suffered at her hands, they don't realize that if they make good on their escape their lives will be in much more danger than they could've ever imagined.

The Sword and The Prophet is filled with surprises and pulse-pounding moments. The depiction of the twins' strong bond is very believable after having only one anoter to rely on in the face of their mother's brutality for so many
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Tyler and Lillybelle are twins who just wants to know why their mother would love them one day and then right out of the blue just stop loving them. One day their mother was very loving and kind. She would sit and hold Lillybelle and brush her hair for hours. Then she started to hit them and scream at them all the time for no real good reason. At the age of fifteen they left their mother's house in search of their Aunt and Uncle on thier fathers side.

When they find their Aunt and Uncle, Tyler an
Chuck Barrett
Let me preface this review with this: I'm a thriller reader and writer and never thought I'd like a YA story. Missy LaRae changed that. The beginning grabs your attention as Lily and Tyler struggle to escape an oppressive life. That changed quickly and the reader (me) was cast into a mystical world of enchantment as Lily and Tyler are forced to discover who...or what...they really are.

And Missy is no stranger to suspense as she builds the conflict and ever mounting peril that lurks around every
Vincenza
Lilli and Tyler are running away from their abusive mother, or the woman who they think of as their mothers. From the time they leave her house, their lives are never the same and the changes keep coming.

I finished Missy LaRae's "The Sword and The Prophet" in a few hours. Every time I thought the twins, Lilli and Tyler, were safe at last, something new would happen and the revelations would keep coming.

If this is Missy's first book, I can't wait to see what characters she creates for us next. I'
Melanie
4.5*s
Loved this !!!!
Review posted here
Linseybdavisgmail.com
What a great start to this series! There is so much potential here.

By 40% into the book I was having a hard time putting it down.
I can't wait for book2!
Ceri
Wow it sounds so good I think I'm going to ask my mum to buy it!
Fangs for the Fantasy
Tyler and Lilly are free for the first time in their 15 year old lives. The twins have lived with their abusive mother who has controlled their every action, constantly beat them down and denied them any interaction with the outside world. Finally, they’ve had enough and are running away to the only relative they know of – their unknown father’s sister.

Everything seems to go to plan, their aunt is considerably kinder than their mother. But then the revelations start to pile up. Not least of whic
Edna
Interesting plot, would be amazing if it was written in a way that made you feel like you were there. Still enjoyable
Stephanie Colman
Stephanie Colman marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Camile
Camile marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Meryst
Meryst marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Free Science Fiction/Fantasy YA Novel 1 7 Jun 16, 2012 03:40PM
YA with an out-of-this-world setting 2 6 Apr 12, 2012 07:10AM
  • Something Wicked (Mystics & Mayhem, #2)
  • Archangel Evolution (The Evolution Trilogy, #3)
  • The Forever Girl (The Forever Girl #1)
  • The Bridge of Deaths
  • Tales of Aradia the Last Witch Volume 1
  • The Sands Of Time (The Witching Pen series, #2)
  • Don't Call Me Angel
  • Eliza's Shadow
  • Drawing Blood (Relict, #1)
  • Steamed Up
  • Edge of Mercy (The Mercy Series, #1)
  • The Day of First Sun (Annie Loves Cham, #1)
  • The Whispers of the Sprite (The Whispers, #1)
  • Afterlife (The Dark Gifts, #1.5)
  • Siren Song
  • Centaur Rivalry (Touched, #3)
  • The Edge of Darkness
  • Born of Fire (Channeler, #0.5)

Hello!

If you're on my page checking out my author profile I give you two thumbs up and a high five.

Here's a brief run down of who I am, and why you should read my books and be my fan (I know voodoo).

I'm 32 years old and was born in Portland, Oregon, and was raised in Longview, Washington by my seriously awesome Grandma. I went into the running start program in HS and graduated HS just shy of an
More about Missy LaRae...

Syren (2 books)
The Prophet of Dreams (Syren, #2)