The Girls' Weekend

The Girls' Weekend

2.66 of 5 stars 2.66  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Ever since they met in their first year of High School in the late 1960’s and named their group, ‘The Blonde Babes,’ Jasmine, Jane, Sandi and Carla have remained the best of friends.

In adulthood, over the years, they have celebrated their continuing friendship at their annual girls’ weekend away together.

However, all that comes to an end in March 2006, when through the eve...more
Kindle Edition
Published April 3rd 2012 by Jaci Byrne (first published April 1st 2012)

This was quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. The characters were unlikeable, their relationships were awful, the dialogue was unrealistic, the plot was meandering, and it was just too long. One character's "thing" was that she continually used incorrect words (i.e. obstinate instead of optimistic), so the other characters were correcting her nearly every time she spoke. I assume it was meant to be funny, but it got old fast. There were also lots and lots of typos and punctuation mistak...more
Liza
Jan 27, 2014 Liza marked it as unfinishable
Shelves: e-book, romance
I literally lol-ed at the top review shown, from the woman who edited this book! The spelling wasn't an issue, nor was the Australian expressions (I read enough historically-set and historically-written romance novels to deal with that!), but the erratic punctuation is absolutely killing me; random commas galore. I put this book down once already a few months ago and I think I'm just going to delete it this time. The characters are catty to a fault and the grammatical errors glaring. Can't get p...more
Bev
I actually edited this book for Jaci - but I can still say that I enjoyed it. The reviews for this one are both positive and negative. This book is about 4 women who have been friends spanning 30 years. Once a year they have a girls weekend away. From some of the reviews, women are saying they do the same thing and the story really resonates with them. Other reviewers are saying that this is all basically 'crap' and it is a 'cheesy plot line'. I think this is actually a true story. Another said...more
Jean
If you want to read a soap opera story, this one will fit the bill. Four women have been having a girls' weekend every year since their high school days. Things go awry when each one comes with a plan to go their own way and just tolerate each other.
Jumped back and forth between the four characters so many times, I had a hard time following the script.
Alisa
It is rare that a book is so bad I put it down almost before beginning it. But this book wins that award. I couldn't get past the opening premise: four "friends" who get together for a yearly retreat of sorts... except that the "friends" all seem to despise each other. Sure, everyone has friends that have some character traits that may get on our nerves, but these women seem to truly detest each other, and it's unclear why they are even still in contact at all, much less friends.

It's possible t...more
Abyssinia
This book was okay.

I didn't think that it would take such a serious tone. I though that it would be a light and fun read.

I also didn't like the way the author skipped days, weeks, months, and years so suddenly. I felt like the reader always had to catch up on the action.

The fact the Sandi was so dumb and always got words wrong was kind of funny. But then it became a little redundant.

Lastly, the author killed Charlie for no reason. Just to bring the friends back together. Some of them just should...more
Sara
May 29, 2012 Sara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
This book tells the story of four women who have been "friends" since childhood who don't even like each other nor want to spend time together. A missing son and lots of infidelity causes even more problems among the women.

I really didn't like this book. None of the women are likeable or believable. One woman is a complete dunce. It frustrated me to read about these women.
Jamie
This book was a pleasant surprise!! I am not a chick lit reader, I've read some but prefer fantasy and paranormal. However, I absolutely loved this book! I found myself smiling both in happiness and disbelief. Sandi just cracked me up, I loved all the characters and loved the ending although it brought tears. Great book, definitely 5 stars and I highly recommend it!
Kathy
I got into the book right away, thinking this is going to be great what with just girls getting together once a year having fun and discussing their lives. It started out keeping me interested but kind of slowed down towards the middle and just was not exactly what I expected.
Martha
The only thing remarkable about this story was the awful relationships these women had with each other.
I can't e believe 4 women can treat each other so bad and continue being friends (if you can call that friends).

Amy
While I don't think this is quite as horrible as most of the reviews make it out to be, I probably won't read this one again, just wasn't that interesting.
Christy
I managed to get through six chapters before abandoning ship. Flat characters, awkward dialogue, and overly cliched sec scenes.
Cheryl
This was good, but definitely wasn't one of my favorite. The story was pretty slow moving, chick book, but a slow read.
joyce
Characters are not interesting, story is lame- I onl finished it because I do not like unfinished books.
Donna Bills
For Friends I would think they would be more excitied to see each other I did not like this book BORING
Kimberly
I thought the writing was pretty cheesey. The story was entertaining enough that I finished it.
Susie Kelly
Jun 20, 2012 Susie Kelly marked it as did-not-finish
I didn't finish this one. Couldn't relate the to characters.
Shannon
I had great hopes for this book but not my style of writing
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Best Friends and Bastards Swearing Stewart - Book Two in the BIG series of LITTLE problems Penny Lane Reginia Lavinia Forteskew Rump Fidgety Felicity - Book Five in the BIG series of LITTLE problems