The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #2)

The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Three magic Doors you here behold.

Time to choose: Wood? Silver? Gold?

Listen to your inner voice, And you will make the wisest choice.

Rye is willing to risk everything to save his brothers, lost in the terrifying world beyond the Wall of Weld. Sonia is determined to find and destroy the Enemy who is sending the ferocious flying beasts called skimmers to ravage the city. Th...more
Published April 4th 2012 by Scholastic, Australia

Clare Cannon
Jun 01, 2012 Clare Cannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8-12 years+
Shelves: 08-12yrs

A fast paced sequel to The Golden Door, Rye and Sonia continue their quest to find Rye's other brother Sholto - who they think chose to go through the Silver Door - and then defeat the enemy who is sending creatures to destroy their kingdom.

We spend more time with the superb cast of characters met in the first book, and the youngest - Rye and Sonia - once again demonstrate the greatest courage and wisdom. But there's wisdom to be learned from the others too, like the humility to admit one's mis...more
Maureen
I enjoyed the first book in this series more than The Silver Door. I am not sure if this is because of middle book syndrome or because there were less locations to explore. One of the things that Rodda does so well is creating vivid and rich worlds for her characters to travail and there was less of that this time around. I still miss the Deltora style puzzles that I have come to expect from Rodda as well.

I really enjoyed the hints in this book that perhaps Kyte's Master comes from a more techno...more
Lily
Whoo hoo! The Silver Door was a blast to read! Awesome, awesome sequel, now I am totally hyped to read the last book in the series, The Third Door. (I keep wanting to call that book 'The Wooden Door' *laughs*)

The Silver Door covers a lot of questions and things that the first book didn't have, and got pretty deep plot wise. The adventure was very simple though, and not like the first one where the location always changed. In this volume they mostly stuck around a couple of areas, and spied rathe...more
Yasmin
Very enjoyable and well written childrens literature. A fast plot with exciting twists and turns, certain to delight your 8-12 year old... or yourself!!
Skip
Rye, Sonia, and Dirk head back to Weld to drop off Dirk's girlfriend, but find the Warden is not taking care of the city or its people. The trio decide they can help most by seeking Rye's brother Sholto, who departed via the Silver Door. Through this door, the trio enter a wasteland full of bones and snails, traveling afar, finding a few scattered, fearful people. Off they go to locate the breeding grounds for the skimmers. They become separated, with Rye and Sonia imprisoned only to find Sholto...more
Lisa
The second in the Three Doors trilogy, and a great continuation of the story. Rye, Sonia, and Dirk are heading through the silver door to try and find the source of the Skimmers, and hopefully find their missing brother. When they arrive on the other side of the door, things are even worse than what they had imagined. The "Master" is trying to develop a skimmer that can hunt in any situation, and if they don't find a solution quickly, all will be lost.

A fun and exciting installment to the story....more
Brenda
When I finished The Golden Door, I couldn’t wait to read The Silver Door. Though there are many books waiting in my pile, I began reading it as soon as it was in my hands. I love how Emily Rodda creates places and bring their inhabitants to life. Weld is not a nice place to live, but because Rye and Sonia live there I want to be there with them. I want to understand why life is the way it is there. I want the best for them and I so hope their lives will be easier. I hope those they care about wi...more
Melinda
This was a great follow up to The Golden Door. It was great to see the story and characters develop. I felt that the world that Rye, Dirk and Sonia entered going through the second door was much more elaborate and detailed than the one through the gold door. I felt that this story was a little darker than the first. The world was more desolate and destroyed and there was an ominous presence of evil there that I can’t wait to explore even more in the third book.

I enjoyed how this story built on t...more
Dorine White
The Story-
We start right were we left off in book one. Rye, Sonia, and Dirk are heading back to Weld to drop off Dirk's girlfriend and go through the Silver Door. When they arrive in Weld, things are a mess, and the Warden is not taking care of the people. Though they want to stay and help, the trio decides it is best if they head through the second door and look for Rye's brother Sholto.

Once through the door, the trio enter a wasteland full of bones and snails. They travel far looking for any...more
Mandyfujita
I read Emily Rodda's other book called "The Golden Door" which I enjoyed. That was the first of the triology. "The Silver Door" is the second. Even if I read the 1st book a few months ago, it was good that Ms. Rodda provides a little summary through the first few chapters to jog our memory as to what happened before. Rye is the unexpected hero of the triology and Sonia is unexpectedly a good partner. Dirk is Rye's oldest brother who accompanies Sonia and Rye through the Silver Door to hopefully...more
Barbara
Readers who haven't read the previous book will be completely lost since this one picks up right where the other one left off. Rye, Dirk, Faene, and Sonia are in search of whoever is responsible for sending vicious winged creatures into Weld. Rye has magic on his side, and when he wears a magic hood, he is not visible. After sending Faene elsewhere as they search for Sholto, the brother of Rye and Dirk, they are betrayed on one hand but helped by others in unexpected ways. Middle grade readers w...more
Shuhrat Rafia
This was the first book I actually waited for, checking the date everyday, counting down, then finishing it way too fast. It's as amazing as the first book, if not better. I don't know why it's supposed to be for little kids; I'm 13 (and rereading) and I love the world Emily Rodda's created.
Hwee Goh
Every bit as good as book one down to the cinema-worthy ending. This series is a sure-win with boys 9-12 who are into fantastical beasts and story lines.
Ally Doerman
I could not get through this book. I think that's due mainly to it being a genre I typically don't enjoy.
pdarnold
Wow! What an imagination! I love the characters in this story!! I checked this out of my local library for my niece, since it was unavailable in her library. I couldn't resist reading it after her and before returning the book to the library.

The adventure continues. Now on to find and rescue Sholto. There is danger, strange creatures, new magic to figure out, adventure, mystery, thriller and new characters to meet. There's despair and hope, faith, family, learning to trust, dealing with self dou...more
Calli
An on-the-edge adventure!
Jakenv
Adventure builds as do characters and situations. Author lures you into some dark places but gives hope of light at each door.
Debbie Johansson
Again, this book got off to a bit of a slow start, but the pace soon quickens up. Rye manages to loose his bag of tricks and I was left wondering how he would get it back, as the various objects help him out in various situations. I enjoyed the new characters, such as Bones, and the new breed of Skimmers are wonderful creations. The suspense leaves the reader turning the pages and eager for the last in the series.
Shannon
I think I enjoyed this more than I did the first - less scene setting and straight in. We meet some fantastic new characters (Bones!), learn about some more of the powers in Rye's handy little baggie of magic and set off to find his second brother only to find a new and scarier breed of Skimmers about to be unleashed.

Bring on the adventure behind the wooden door!
Kate Forsyth
The second book in Emily Rodda’s new fantasy trilogy, ‘The Silver Door’ had strong echoes of Deltora in it with the badlands, the downtrodden people, and the final battle with terrifying monsters. I love the Deltora Quest, though, so I read it all with relish. She is particularly excellent at creating suspense and atmosphere – looking forward to Book 3.
Alex
I'm not sure there's much I can say about this that isn't totally obvious. I LOVE everything Emily Rodda writes and this is no exception. Rye, Sonia and the others are the usual strong yet fearful characters you can expect, woven into an exciting and totally genius fantasy adventure. Perfect, but that's no surprise from Emily.
Diane Greiner
Emily Rodda is a master storyteller. Even in a world that seems impossible to believe, she draws you in and holds on! With characters you can root for and a storyline that flies, you will find yourself at the end of the story in not time, anxious for the next book to read. This middle grade novel is worth the read!
Abi
As children's fantasy novels go, it's hard to find variation in the basic plot line, however this series kept me guessing with each chapter. Rodda has a talent for taking cliche fantasy topics like a mysterious evil villain, long lost heroes, and magical items, and turning them into something you've never seen before.
Cecilia Rodriguez
This is the second book in the trilogy. Rye has just returned from his adventure behind the Golden Door,only to begin a new journey to find his brother Sholto behind the Silver Door.

Rye now has a bag containing nine magical items which come in handy when he set out to free Sholto.
Gabby
Tom
I love this book. That's all I can say. It was great. I was disappointed when I finished it. I ended up reading it over and over again. Maybe a few little improvements, but other wise it was awesome! I think that children 10 and older should be able to read it.
Rachel
I really, really enjoyed the first book in this series, but this book fell just a little shy of the mark for me. I don't know why, it was still a good book, but I didn't feel the urgency to finish it and find out what happened that I had with the first book.
Jellybelly
I would give it 4 and a half if I could- what an excellent read for older primary/younger teens! It kept me company as I sat up with tonsillitis and thus I will love this book forever! Well-paced and balanced, a great story!
Shweta
This was really good but what found funny was that on pg 225 instead of the spelling of rye it was spelt as rue. i'm not sure if it's a nickname.
anyways this book was unexpected n many ways many twists and turns.

DavidO
Great book, and continuation of the series. I took one star off because the ending felt a bit sloppy, although I'm sure much will be explained in book 3.
Getting this book in the US 4 8 Nov 26, 2013 01:10PM
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • Master of the Books
  • The Six (The Gateway Chronicles #1)
  • 80AD - The Sudarshana (Book 4)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • Ennara and the Fallen Druid (Ennara, #1)
  • Sun Mage (Blacklight Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Fire
  • The Whisperer
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • The Last Enchanter
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
  • Sands of Nezza (Adventurers Wanted, #4)
  • Merlin's Blade (The Merlin Spiral, #1)
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • The Violet Fairy Book
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • The Curse of the Thrax (Bloodsword Trilogy, Book 1)
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.
More about Emily Rodda...
The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1) City of the Rats (Deltora Quest, #3) The Lake of Tears (Deltora Quest, #2) The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4) Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)