Start by marking “The Road to Rome: A Novel of the Forgotten Legion” as Want to Read:
The Road to Rome: A Novel of the Forgotten Legion

The Road to Rome: A Novel of the Forgotten Legion (Forgotten Legion Chronicles #3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,927 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
In 48 B.C., having survived a disastrous campaign in Pythia as part of the Forgotten Legion and spent years fighting their way back to Rome, Romulus and Tarquinius have finally made it as far as Alexandria. On arrival, though, they find themselves in the midst of the Roman Civil War, are press-ganged into Caesar's thinning legions and greatly outnumbered and fighting for t ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Road to Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road to Rome

Gary
Jun 24, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author knew how to finish this well. At times it seemed to vanish into meticulously described battles that were indistinguishable from one another. The story is at its best in the alleys, bordellos and gladiator pits of Rome. The characters become lifelike and the practices such as divination are accurately portrayed and tended to hold my interest momentarily, but it is the interaction of the characters that I really enjoyed.
Watching Fabiola go from victim to master manipulator was interesti
Gaby
Mar 30, 2011 Gaby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'll need to read each of the books in Forgotten Legion series in order. Ben Kane creates complex characters that undergo incredible trials. As they escape death and tempt fate, the lead characters are forced to give up things that they hold dear.

The twins Fabiola and Romulus are children of a slave woman who was raped by high ranking Roman citizen. The twins never know who their father is but hold a deep anger and hatred towards him for the pain inflicted on their mother. They're exceptional
John Salter
Oct 11, 2013 John Salter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the final volume of the Forgotten Legion Chronicles, The Road to Rome the story reaches its conclusion and finds Romulus eventually returning to the city he fled ten years before, when he was wrongly blaimed for the death of a noble. After being captured and made to fight in a foreign army, escaping and fighting for Caesars legions, he returns home in search of his sister and to seek revenge on the man that sold him and his family into slavery.

With a back drop to reality Romulus marches throu
Speesh
Jun 02, 2013 Speesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-romans
Why do all good things have to come to an end?

Who said that?

They need a slap. And they need to read The Forgotten Legion trilogy. If ever there was a book you didn't want to end, it's this one. If ever there was a series you didn't want to end, it is The Forgotten Legion trilogy. Couldn't we convince Ben that 'trilogy' actually means 'four', or 'five', or...well, you get the picture.

Here and now, The Road to Rome is, of course, the culmination of Ben Kane's Forgotten Legion trilogy and I don't k
Dave
Sep 04, 2012 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have read the previous two books from this trilogy and although there were some issues with writing and style, the story was interesting enough and the plot moved along at a nice pace. The historical detail seemed quite accurate, to someone like me, with just some generic knowledge about the period.

In this third book, however, it became more and more difficult to sidestep the issues I have with the writing. The main issues that bothered me were a constant shifting of POV and the ploy to stop c
Ian
Aug 14, 2010 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to receiving this as the first two books in the series were so good. As it was, I finished it within two days of receiving it 'hot off the press'.

The central storyline in the series is a little far-fetched, even more so than is typical in the genre. However the historical background and detail is first class. What Ben Kane does best is the way he inter-twines the various storylines and constantly leaves the reader on a knife-edge. This means, of course, that it is hard to p
Paul
Dec 09, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romans
An adequate end to a series that does what's necessary to tie up the loose ends and bring the story to a conclusion without actually adding anything to the series. Kind of like the lid on a jar; purely functional and featureless.

I could go into this in depth but frankly I can't be arsed.
While I'd feel harsh slagging this book off as it's not actually a "bad book", it's just too lacklustre to be able to make any comment on without having to force one out.
Lindsey Roberts
Jun 26, 2015 Lindsey Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben Kane continues his epic trilogy with the third and final book in The Forgotten Legion with the Road to Rome.

And he doesn’t disappoint.

I couldn’t put it down.

It’s not the sort of book that you just want to read a few pages of before bed, because you can guarantee that you will land yourself in the middle of a battle, or an event that will mean you’ll just have to keep reading to find out if they escape. Due to the nature of the books and what he had happen in the previous two, there is no cer
Catherine Vera
Aug 04, 2015 Catherine Vera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difícil poder hacer una reseña a una trilogía que te ha encantado y que te ha dejado un sabor agridulce. Creo que luego de horas de terminarla sigo meditando en lo que leí, las historias que se relataron, etc.

Leer una novela histórica tiene la contrapartida de que por más que te encantes/odies los personajes, sabes cual será el final de algunos de ellos, sin embargo intriga el ver cómo el autor será capaz de ir entrelazando su ficción con la realidad para dar paso a una historia creíble.

Camino a
Simon
Oct 05, 2014 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have finally completed Ben Kane's trilogy and what a struggle it was. By the end I had lost all sympathy for and interest in the characters. That the two, possibly three, male heroes should survive to live again in further adventures is more than I can bear. There were further mistakes to irritate - Roman triremes sailing in mid ocean - I think not! I shall not be reading any sequels.
Andrée
Jun 17, 2015 Andrée rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled to finish this horrible history. Lots of detail about the many modes of death and plenty of latin terms sprinkled about but really! I cannot imagine why this was a top ten best seller.

It's one of those he said/she said books with constant changes of character/perspective/location.
Given that the expected life expectancy was less than 30 years (per http://geography.about.com/od/populat...) the constant anguishing about past events was unrealistic (and dull).

Thanks be to Minerva that I
Hanne Armstrong
I picked this book up at a sale. I'm glad I did not pay full price for it.
The writing is clumsy, words and phrases often used in ways that made me stop and think, 'what's he saying?', or 'oh, he really means....'.
I found the dubious grasp of word definitions and language usage to be tiresome, annoying, disruptive, and all too frequent.
That said, the narrative lines are compelling, and I believe the historical context is accurate.
This book is to me an excellent example of a good story spoiled by
Andrew Gunst
May 12, 2015 Andrew Gunst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Soho_black
Feb 20, 2015 Soho_black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, owned-books
I was fortunate enough to meet Ben Kane shortly after publication of ‘’The Silver Eagle’’, the second novel in his ‘’Forgotten Legion’’ chronicles. Having enjoyed the first two parts of the trilogy, I was eager to read the third and told him to write faster. He just laughed at me and told me I’d have to be patient. Patience may be a virtue, but it was never one of mine. Fortunately, ‘’The Road to Rome’’ was well worth the wait.

After years of wondering if their twin were still alive, Romulus and
Wayne Farmer
Jan 18, 2015 Wayne Farmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last in the Forgotten Legion Trilogy, and another well researched good historical read. I really enjoyed this trilogy of novels and they really bought Roman life, well, to life! I found myself really disliking Fabiola and her ruthlessness and really liking Romulus and his honour.
Sadly, while for me the book is probably deserving of 5 stars, I personally don't like fictional characters in historical books being so close to actual historical events that they virtually wield the killing blow themse
Sammie
Aug 31, 2011 Sammie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book of a trilogy. It concludes the story of twins - born into slavery after their mother was raped by a Nobel man. Romulus and Fabiola had a terrible start in life. Regularly beaten, barely fed and sheltered, witness to repeated rapes of their mother by their master, and finally sold - Romulus to a gladiator school and Fabiola to a brothel. The backdrop to this is Caesar’s rise and fall. The historical basis of this book is good and interesting, and from what I can tell as acc ...more
Simon Turney
May 01, 2012 Simon Turney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Forgotten Legion series is one of the strongest series set in ancient Rome that has been produced to date. The scope of the series in length of years, geographical reach, depth of character and intertwining some of the most tumultuous and important events in the history of he world with the life story of a small number of fictional characters is phenomenal. As a series, it is sad to reach this point and see it end.

The third and final novel of the series is a complex weave of history and fict
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 Robin Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read the first two books in this series by Ben Kane and enjoyed them both I looked forward to book 3 Road to Rome with great interest.

The Forgotten Legion series centres around twins Romulus and Fabiola, who were birthed by their slave mother who was raped by a mysterious noble-born Roman, the whole series is driven from that one act and the twins pursuit of truth and freedom.

Book three very much revolves around the rape, and how Fabiola plans revenge against who she sees as the rapist, w
Elizabeth Sulzby
I have found the entire trilogy on the Lost Legionnaires very interesting and a good fit with historical events. It was hard to follow which "friends" are the actual three friends over the books but it resolved itself at the end of the third. I listed them both as fiction and historical fiction because the fictional trio of friends are embedded in historical events and Kane helps one remember which kind of sources he is using.

I'm not going to write much more about these books except one aspect o
Michael
Mar 21, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This ended as I suppose it had to, in tragic fashion. Romulus and Tarquinias return to a Rome in turmoil. Caesar is taking over. Romulus kills a rhinoceros in the arena. Fabiola becomes a somewhat evil person, though her motivations make good sense. This is fiction of course, but based closely on true events. Odd that the death of Julius Caesar, who'd broken every law of the democracy to become a dictator marked the end of the Roman Republic. He was an impressive person (understatement intention ...more
David
Final part in Ben Kane's Forgotten Legion trilogy, this follows the same format as the previous two books ('The Forgotten Legion' and 'The Silver Eagle') in following it's protaganist section about, ending each section on a cliffhanger.

Whereas before this could be slightly jarring (moving from Rome to, eg, Alexandria, and then back to Rome), it works slightly better in this novvel as some of the characters are working their way back to the seat of the Roman Republic eventually taking it section
Kyle Dent
Sep 21, 2014 Kyle Dent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Ben Kanes books and I think the forgotten legion trilogy is his best work to date, I honestly can't think of a series I have enjoyed more than this one, however I don't like that he's left us dangling with the prospect of a search for one of the stories missing heroes, it's hugely frustrating, I don't care what Kane says, this series is not finished!
Jenny
Jun 08, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dang it! I waited and I waited for Romulas and Fabiola to be reunited and when at long freaking last they were, in a very dramatic scene, I cried a little...and then the author rushed into a hectic conversation that ruined said reunion and I'm still a little bitter. I know he had to end it and I know he needed to hurry it along but did he have to end it THAT fast?! Did their lives have to be so miserable?! I guess that's what I get for getting emotionally invested in these characters.

I LOVE Rom
Tiberije
First book in trilogy was good. Second was readable but third one is chore. It would have been better if Kane wrote one book than trying to make trilogy that failed to deliver. It is like Matrix, first one is great and as you watch series you wonder what happened to the original idea.
James Shrimpton
The series got better as it went along but I admit, I was mostly reading it as filler while waiting for the time to sit down and read Ruin...
Isaac
May 06, 2015 Isaac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kane ended the series very neatly. All lose ends have been tied and the fiction came to the inevitable historical conclusion. I would strongly suggest the series to anyone interested in the time period (or epic training sequences and battles).
Soteris
Oct 03, 2012 Soteris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Road to Rome concludes the journey of Romulus and Fabiola in their attempts to find each other and discover the identity of their father.
The story is cleverly done as we see the triumphs of Ceasar from anothers view and is so well written you can smell the stench within the city of Rome.
I dont want to say anything about the story as this book concludes a major part of the story being the third although hopefuly not the final in the current Forgotten Legion series, but those who have enjoyed the
Stephen Dawson
Feb 02, 2014 Stephen Dawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
The (increasingly misnamed) series comes wonderfully to a head in this the third book, with the various threads coming together, with some elements rather predictable, but none the less enjoyable for that. Ben Kane has left himself an opening for another, but no sign of it yet.
Peter Jochinger
Like Dennis Wheatley the author catches the time period with wonderful clarity.
A must read for history buffs.
Jmidi
Jan 07, 2015 Jmidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent conclusion to a well written series.
Caesar's final days are presented from a different point of view.
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Praetorian (Eagle, #11)
  • The Leopard Sword (Empire, #4)
  • Caligula (Rufus, #1)
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
Ben Kane is a bestselling Roman author and former veterinarian. He was born in Kenya and grew up in Ireland (where his parents are from). He has traveled widely and is a lifelong student of military history in general, and Roman history in particular. He lives in North Somerset, England, with his family.
More about Ben Kane...

Forgotten Legion Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Forgotten Legion (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #1)
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)