Start by marking “Trojan Horse” as Want to Read:
Trojan Horse

Trojan Horse (Jeff Aiken #2)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,530 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
It's two years after the Zero Day attacks, and cyber-security analyst Jeff Aiken is reaping the rewards for crippling Al-Qaida's assault on the computer infrastructure of the Western world. His company is flourishing, and his relationship with former government agent Daryl Haugen has intensified since she became a part of his team.

But the West is under its greatest threat
Published September 4th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Trojan Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trojan Horse

Darren Vincent
Jan 01, 2015 Darren Vincent rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This might be my last Russinovich read. As it is, it is my second (after Zero Day) and that may be one too many. I just was not impressed at all.

The beginning had promise and the technical side of the story (which is done very well, as expected) was balanced nicely with the actual plot. I actually found myself worrying about how close this comes to reality in the beginning and thought that the Chinese were more terrifying than anything that was shown in Zero Day. But that didn't last long. Someh
Sergey Teplyakov
Сегодня дочитал вторую по счету художественную книгу Марка Руссиновича под названием “Trojan Horse”. Первой был аналогичный кибер триллер “Zero Day” (ревью - http://sergeyteplyakov.blogspot.com/2...), а эта книга является продолжением с теми же главными героями.

Как-то не знаю… Первое творение мне более или мене понравилось, не сюжетом, конечно, но и с ним все было не так и плохо. Вторая часть написана похожим образом, но вот положительных эмоций, почему-то стало меньше.
Понятно, что с точки зрени
Brick
Oct 19, 2012 Brick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technothrillers
OK, save the world in Zero Day, but don't let on, so when this all comes up again two years later, the folks in the intelligence services don't know what you have done, suspect you are just a cowboy, and you can almost get killed again.

Suggestion for the protagonists: read some self-help books on avoiding getting spied on, kidnapped, followed, shot, take some self defense training, hire some personal security, or get in another line of work.
R7835
Jun 28, 2014 R7835 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rick Howard
My Blog (Terebrate) review of this book: http://bit.ly/Wj67AB

Executive Summary:

I recommend this book for the casual reader that is interested in cyber security topics. It is not a must read for the cyber security professional, but it is a fun one. You will not learn anything new here, but you will enjoy wallowing around in a Clancy-esque story with cyber security tech as the main focus. In it, Russinovich describes the nature of the Chinese Cyber Espionage program, general hacking techniques, an
Robbie Forkish
Dec 21, 2014 Robbie Forkish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author is a highly respected senior technologist at Microsoft, so the tech in this techno-thriller is good stuff. This is book 2 of the series, and the "book" part (as opposed to the techie part) is much better than the first one. Great insights about how vulnerable we all are to cyber terrorism.
Stephen
Aug 05, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something sinister is developing in the depths of the dark net. There are inexplicable power outages in Washington, and misinformation filtering through the systems of the United Nations. Jeff Aiken and his partner Daryl Hagen, having previously unmasked an al-Queda cyber attack against the United States, suspect this is more a technical conspiracy than buggy software -- and one that spans all of Eurasia.

Trojan Horse is a cyberthriller that leads with Jeff and Daryl’s computer forensics before s
David
Pretty good book; I bought Zero Day when it came out a few years ago and loved it. This one is not quite as good; halfway through I thought it was about 3 stars but by the end I think it ended up at 4. I recently finished Ian Sutherland's first novella and novel, which have some parallels but are much more localize; a similar number of different perspectives but I felt it was a more personal plot and had me on the edge of my seat more. This book (and Zero Day) both are worldwide, terrorism relat ...more
Peter
May 25, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Russinovich is great at demonstrating how different aspects of cyberwarfare work in the real world, by having his characters develop, deploy and try to counter the technology in fictional but realistic settings. Cyberwarfare is everywhere now - so far as an espionage tool and a proxy for physical warfare - but with serious real-world threats and consequences. I like reading Russinovich because I feel like I learn a lot about what the actual threats are and how they might work.
Ru
Dec 30, 2014 Ru rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Trojan Horse" is ripped from the headlines in a great many ways, which keeps it relevant and
fast-paced, and Mark Russinovich uses his immense and storied technical background to inject
plausibility into this cautionary tale. Much of the Clancy-eseque subplot, however, borders on absurd and doesn't flow quite as well as the rest of the novel.

With the Sony hack proliferating every news cycle at this time, and its potential international reach, this book is actually quite timely. Even better, the
Steve
Dec 24, 2014 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this book then I ran a virus scan...

I imagine it is really difficult to write a cyber-thriller, since having the main characters hanging around laptops while using IRC is in no sense of the world actually thrilling...

Still Russinovich gives it a go, and manages to add in some car chases, planes and gunplay to make it a bit more interesting.

Of course Russinovich is better known for his extensive knowledge of the Microsoft operating system, and the amount of time and effort he spends himsel
H.d. Jones
Mar 17, 2015 H.d. Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good story, a computer thriller that delivers on both action and technical material. But I'd suggest you avoid the audiobook, unless you find a version narrated by someone other than Johnny Heller. Heller does a terrible job. His attempts at accents for various characters don't work, and this is a tale with characters from many different countries across Europe and Asia. Moreover, there are many occasions when Heller seems surprised to discover two or three more words after he thinks h ...more
Bert Heymans
Jan 25, 2014 Bert Heymans rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mike
Feb 01, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an entertaining book and the topics are fairly current. The story was fun.

Without getting into spoilers and details, I thought some of the security ideas were a little unrealistic. Much less so than the first book. There's just a couple of problems with the whole premise. Russinovich even mentions some of the problems, but doesn't give a credible reason why different actions weren't taken.

The ending of the book also felt a little rushed. The story built up pretty well, but then just ended
Chris
Jun 26, 2014 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read Zero Day, so I can't say how it compares. On its own, this story is a definite page-turner with the expected action and twists, along with lots of realistic technical details regarding malware and cyber warfare. The characters seem a bit flat and two-dimensional, and many plot elements are a bit too convenient, but overall it kept me engaged. Note to the author or publisher: your copy editor was asleep on the job. "He walked passed her." Really? "Ex-patriots" instead of "expatriat ...more
Will Herman
You have to love an author who has written books on espionage and Windows Internals. I find the fact that Russinovich has written his espionage books while an employee at Microsoft very cool.

I read Zero Day, Russinovich's first espionage book when it came out. It was good, but not great. I thought he worked too hard to make a hacker/"security expert" a super hero. While it is a reasonable premise, it's just hard to get one's head around.

In this second book, we get more physical action and Russin
Bob Uva
Oct 21, 2012 Bob Uva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trojan Horse is a suspenseful novel centering on two computer security consultants caught in the middle of state-sponsored cyber terrorism. Having read a lot of science fiction that, as a friend would say, is "soft", i.e., not based on true science, I have really enjoyed reading Mark's foray into fiction based on some of the real computer science that is being used in cyber terrorist attacks. As a practicing software engineer, and one who has written code using Microsoft technologies for over tw ...more
Alfredo
Sep 20, 2012 Alfredo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting read, and a great improvement from the author's previous book Zero Day: A Novel. The character development has improved, dialog is still lacking. But the story in the book, manages to make you pull through and enjoy the journey. I like the book, but I am miffed by the contrast between the precise description of software and most technical aspects and the utter invention of some other parts of the book. The most grievous case is when the protagonist have to buy phones, ...more
Ingo
Mar 09, 2013 Ingo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started today, March 5th, 2013, just after finishing Zero Day by the same author.
Story goes the same way as Zero Day, and thus is not so surprising, or good.
Also I think the team should stick to working with computers and leave the rest of the investigation to the police or 3-letter agencies.
Without even a weapon going after criminals, terrorists, spies who have guns and more training in using it, is mad and in the end not very realistic.
Once I can accept, be it luck or turn of events, but this
Alex
Oct 04, 2013 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
"Trojan Horse" is a computer hacker's novel. I liked it. I was glad I read it. I don't think I would read it again.

This is a sequel to "Zero Day" by Mark Russinovich, the computer expert whose utilities I use daily. But since he sold his company to Microsoft he's been writing these novels that portray the risks we face from cyber warfare. His ideas of how cyber warfare could be used against America seem realistic. His characters... not so much.

This sequel is much like the original. It is excit
Robert
Oct 06, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If you are into technology you are going to really enjoy this book. If you are at all interested in IT security then you are going to love this book. If you have read Mark's first book (Zero Day) then you are going to find that this one is even better and not just from a plot point of view.

What impressed me most about this book was how much more 'story-craft' has gone into it. That alone makes it a better book than 'Zero Day' (which was fantastic anyway). Combined with a great plot and returning
Ralph
Jan 21, 2013 Ralph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, the second in the series featuring computer security specialist, Jeff Aiken. Russinovich again draws on his extensive technical expertise to craft a fast paced novel that is believable and not over the top. It is a pleasure to read a text that doesn't require one to completely suspend belief in order to move through the story. From a technical standpoint, it is entirely possible that the events in the book could happen and some have probably already happened.

Overall,
Bryan Cacciatore
Trojan Horse takes Zero Day and pushes it even further to the limits. It follows the same computer geniuses a few years later getting into more world-changing antics. The technology in the book is believable and described well, even the more sophisticated cell phone tracking. It details a very plausible shift in the world powers and goes really deep into an underground network of how it would be pulled off. A lot of thought went into interactions with the characters, the politics, and the techno ...more
Markus Jevring
This book wasn't as good as his first book, Zero Day.
What bothered me the most was that the characters, main and side, all behaved contrary to what any sane person would have done, even in such an insane situation. At times, I found myself groaning, wishing the book would be over. I'm unlikely to read the next book, if there is one...
Chris
Jan 06, 2015 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it for the most part but I think that the author deviated way too far from the hacking/IT stuff that is his strength. The story became way too far fetched with admitted "IT nerds" essentially acting as spies and out in the field confronting terrorists. While I love anti terrorism books, if I wanted that genre I would re read Vice Flynn, Brad Thor, et al. I have read this particular series to see the hacking/IT stuff. Not second rate spy stuff.
Travis
Jul 12, 2016 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good second book. He's great on the technology, and explaining it for less technically inclined, but his plot sometimes feels a little thin, or contrived. Like did nobody learn anything from the events two years prior? Felt maybe rushed a bit, and not fully conceived.
Stefandulman
action movie script interlaced with computer security terms. in many places it felt like a book for popularisation of science, with ample definitions of crypto techniques. the action was quite predictable and the ending was..., well, you'll see :)
Matthew Shinker
Feb 27, 2015 Matthew Shinker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Russinovich has a wonderful way of depicting technical, geeky details with storytelling grace and style. From my perspective, his technical background gives him rock-solid credibility to tell these awesome stories.

Awesome book!
Winston Ogle
May 29, 2014 Winston Ogle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book!

Good book!

Slow in some parts but had a good climax at the end. The highway scenes were a little far fetched but made good reading. Jeff Aiken is a great character
Cesar
Sep 06, 2014 Cesar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The events can realistically happen now. Taking politics and cyber warfare, Mark Russinovich tells us a story based on his expertise in computer systems. His style is still developing, hence four stars.
  • Kill Decision
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own a Continent
  • The Duke Don't Dance
  • Matcher Rules
  • A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • The Rainbow Stick Boy
  • Millennium Crash (Watchbearers, #1)
  • FOG
  • Jana Bibi's Excellent Fortunes
  • Gibraltar Earth
  • In Too Deep
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Troublesome Words You'll Master in No Time
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • The Investigation
  • The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
  • Games Traitors Play
  • Lorenzo's Daggers
Mark Russinovich is a Technical Fellow in Windows Azure, Microsoft's cloud operating system group. Russinovich is a widely recognized expert in Windows operating system internals as well as operating system architecture and design.

Russinovich joined Microsoft when Microsoft acquired Winternals software, the company he cofounded in 1996 and where he worked as Chief Software Architect. He is also c
More about Mark Russinovich...

Jeff Aiken (3 books)
  • Zero Day (Jeff Aiken #1)
  • Rogue Code  (Jeff Aiken #3)

“They’ll need to repave after this.” 0 likes
“China and oil, remember? Okay, here goes. This caught me by surprise—China is the second largest importer of oil in the world, after only you-know-who. Its economy grows at nearly 10 percent and its appetite for oil is all but insatiable, growing at 8 percent a year. You see, they decided to go with cars instead of sticking with mass transit.” “Big mistake,” Jeff said. “Cars are a dead end.” “Maybe, but you need an enormous infrastructure to support a thriving car industry and it is a quick way to provide jobs while giving the industrial base a huge boost. Plus, factories that produce cars can easily be converted to military needs.” She gave him a cockeyed smile. “Remember that crack about cars when you go shopping for one next month. I’ve seen you trolling the Web sites. Anyway, within twenty years they’ll have more cars than the U.S. and that same year they’ll be importing just as much oil as we do. So here’s the deal. They don’t have it. Want to guess where they get it from?” “The Middle East?” “No surprise, huh? And who is their biggest supplier?” “Iran. Right?” “You guessed, but yes, that’s right. They signed a deal saying if Iran would give them lots of oil, China would block any American effort to get the United Nations Security Council to do anything significant about its nuclear program. They’ve been doing a lot of deals with each other ever since.” He slipped his computer into his bag. “That explains a lot.” “Oh yeah, these two countries are very cozy indeed. Anyway, China gets most of its oil from Iran. And they don’t just need oil—they need cheap oil because they sell the least expensive gasoline in the world. I think that’s to keep everybody happy driving all those new cars.” 0 likes