The Moscow Club

The Moscow Club

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Moscow Club

Joseph Finder

It’s 1991.The Cold War is over. Charlie Stone is a brilliant analyst for the CIA who made a name for himself during the height of the Cold War. But today his expertise is needed yet again: A top-secret tape—one that foretells a coup d’état in the Kremlin—has been smuggled out of the the Soviet Union by one of a few remaining moles. Stone’s assessmen...more
Published December 24th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Moscow Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moscow Club

Lance Charnes
Mar 12, 2013 Lance Charnes rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Global-conspiracy fans
I had high hopes for The Moscow Club. An espionage novel written by an ex-intelligence professional, set during a fascinating point in recent history (1991, the twilight of the Soviet Union)…I was looking forward to a intelligent, reality-based thriller, maybe with some intelligence-community inside baseball thrown in for good measure.

Oh, well.

The premise isn’t bad: an intelligence analyst stumbles across what appears to be a developing plot by Kremlin insiders to overthrow Mikhail Gorbachev in...more
Chris Ryan
I am loving this book!!! I heard the author on the radio talking about another book he wrote. I found this one at my favorite used bookstore, and it is great! I can't begin to say how much I enjoy reading about a world with no cell phones, no internet, and marginal airport security! If you are under 40, I recommend it for that reason alone!
Lynn
This was a book that is not my typical choice, I picked this because I will be going to a conference in November where Joseph Finder will be speaking and wanted an example of his work. “The Moscow Club”at over five hundred pages, is pretty hefty and yet so action packed you don’t really notice it … until you try to pick it up.

Charles Stone works in a branch of national intelligence and is a guru of Soviet Studies; he has high placed mentors throughout the government so that even though his fathe...more
Eric Warren
This book is a top-notch government / spy thriller. Moscow Club has all of the things I love about these books, grounded setting, characters fighting for their lives, and an outlook for the protagonist so bleak that there's no possible way he's going to make it through. I feel smarter having read it, knowing the amount of research that went into it.
My recommendation: if you're reading the re-released version of the book, don't read the introduction until after you've finished the book. While th...more
Quentin Feduchin
Turning out quite interesting. Lot's of development to go, but has possibilities.
Sheila
I must say, for me only, this was about the most complex book I've ever read. It was a first attempt by this author. Future books are much less confusing and more compact. However, I found it a good story that was well written and made it to a nice ending (I think). It was that convoluted, if you know what I mean. Actually I found I could have been reading a bit of actual history, but not a drab history book. That's much more fun anyway. I'll continue reading his books, as I've read a few of the...more
Katherine Derbyshire
Couldn't finish it. The protagonist, supposedly a brilliant intelligence analyst, is too stupid to live, doing things like leaving classified materials lying around his home for other people to find. The antagonists aren't much better.

Proposes the existence of massive, all-powerful, long-term conspiracies within *both* the US and Soviet intelligence communities. While that sort of thing is a staple of the genre, these are more than usually implausible, with not even a feeble attempt to explain...more
Rachel Levesque
546 pages of government conspiracy between the CIA and KGB... Very interesting. Loved it!
Boris
A superb spy novel. In the class of LeCarre and his ilk.
Mike Vaughnwilliams
A very good story hearkening back to the cold war just before the breakup of the soviet union. Stone is pursuing answers to his father's downfall. Lots of action and people dying off as he travels incognito and hunted by an secret network of spies and power brokers. Written in `1991, it is still quite interesting for those of us who lived through the era.
Larry Page
I really liked this first book by Joseph Finder. It had more twists and turns than a mountain road and held the suspense right up to the end, however you must buy into the unbelievable luck of the protagonist as he escapes from harms way time after time. Still it holds your attention and is difficult to put down for a reading break.
Naomi
Charlie Stone is an employee of the US government. His father Alfred also worked for the government. Alfred has secrets concerning the highest levels of the USA and also the Soviet Union. There follows a trite plot that keeps killing almost everyone that shows up. Joseph Finder has written much better stories.
Maggie
Well research and the history is interesting. Finder packed far too much in his first novel so it becomes confusing and often unbelievable.
Kevin
His later books got better, which is good for him and for us. This one was too long; he could have finished it 100 pages earlier.
Dianne
I didn't actually finish this. While I usually like Joseph Finder, the subject matter in this didn't keep my interest at all.
Mailmanr5
Good first novel. Found some errors though & sometimes the hero is unbelievable. Good dialogue.
Fred
I've found another favorite author. This is the second Joseph Finder book I've read. Very good.
MVV
Finished the abridged audio book. Lots and lots of dead bodies. Maybe too many.
Brenda

Very convoluted and complex story, and not a satisfying read.
Brian
A good book, but very long. Great cold war/post cole war read.
Jsbiddle
Great book. Exactly what you would expect from Mr. Finder.
James Preston
This was a good book...very elaborate plot.
Deb
the one that is no longer in print
Toesnorth's mom
first novel, stupid and boring
Charlotte Snyder
Charlotte Snyder is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2014
Liz Gamelin
Liz Gamelin marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
  • Masquerade
  • Velocity (Karen Vail #3)
  • The Successor (Christian Gillette, #4)
  • Final Witness
  • The Orpheus Deception (Agent Micah Dalton, #2)
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
  • The Defection of A.J. Lewinter
  • French Kiss
  • The Seven Minutes
  • Volk's Game: A Novel
  • The Company of Strangers
  • Typhoon
  • Einstein's Clocks, Poincaré's Maps: Empires of Time
  • An Expensive Place to Die
  • National Security (Jericho Quinn, #1)
  • Seven Days In May
  • Choke Point (Risk Agent, #2)
  • Damage Control (Jonathan Grave, #4)
Joseph Finder’s plan was to become a spy. Or maybe a professor of Russian history. Instead he became a bestselling thriller writer, and winner of the Strand Critics Award for Best Novel for BURIED SECRETS (2011), winner of the International Thriller Writers Award for Best Novel for KILLER INSTINCT (2006) and winner of the Barry and Gumshoe Awards for Best Thriller for COMPANY MAN (2005).

Born in C...more
More about Joseph Finder...
Paranoia Vanished (Nick Heller, #1) Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2) Company Man Power Play