Start by marking “The Moscow Club” as Want to Read:

The Moscow Club

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Moscow Club

Joseph Finder

It’s 1991.The Cold War is over. Charlie Stone is a brilliant analyst for the CIA who made a name for himself during the height of the Cold War. But today his expertise is needed yet again: A top-secret tape—one that foretells a coup d’état in the Kremlin—has been smuggled out of the the Soviet Union by one of a few remaining moles. Stone’s assessmen
Published December 24th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Moscow Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moscow Club

Lance Charnes
Mar 12, 2013 Lance Charnes rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Global-conspiracy fans
I had high hopes for The Moscow Club. An espionage novel written by an ex-intelligence professional, set during a fascinating point in recent history (1991, the twilight of the Soviet Union)…I was looking forward to a intelligent, reality-based thriller, maybe with some intelligence-community inside baseball thrown in for good measure.

Oh, well.

The premise isn’t bad: an intelligence analyst stumbles across what appears to be a developing plot by Kremlin insiders to overthrow Mikhail Gorbachev in
Quentin Feduchin
A very interesting thriller, built on historical facts that we know about Stalin, Lenin, and the US president's visit to Moscow to meet with Gorbachev in 1981/2.

Obviously the political undercurrents are invented and make up the thriller, which is on the general lines of a 'Bourne Legacy' thriller. Our hero has to undergo many dangers and escapes and many political and quasi-political characters are devised for the story.

It really is a page turner; not the most complicated of plots but satisfying
Eric Warren
This book is a top-notch government / spy thriller. Moscow Club has all of the things I love about these books, grounded setting, characters fighting for their lives, and an outlook for the protagonist so bleak that there's no possible way he's going to make it through. I feel smarter having read it, knowing the amount of research that went into it.
My recommendation: if you're reading the re-released version of the book, don't read the introduction until after you've finished the book. While th
Mal Warwick
Looking for a spy thriller that might keep you up at night?

If you suspend disbelief, as science fiction writers ask you to do, you may enjoy this intricately plotted thriller from one of America’s best contemporary novelists of suspense. For starters, you’ll need to imagine a brilliant young CIA analyst with a near-eidetic memory who is also, though untrained, accomplished in hand-to-hand combat, picking locks, and repairing cars. Oh, and he’s devilishly handsome to boot and is married to a risi
Carl Brush
This is my first venture into the international thriller world of Joseph Finder with The Moscow Club, a bit outdated per recent Russian events, but still worth a look.

Charlie Stone is not in the greatest place in his life. His wife's walked out, and the CIA calls him back to duty from cliff-face just as he's assuaging his sorrows by mountain climbing in the Adirondacks. The duty is the unpleasant errand that involves reopening old wounds inflicted when his father had been disgraced--jailed even-
Chris Ryan
I am loving this book!!! I heard the author on the radio talking about another book he wrote. I found this one at my favorite used bookstore, and it is great! I can't begin to say how much I enjoy reading about a world with no cell phones, no internet, and marginal airport security! If you are under 40, I recommend it for that reason alone!
Rachel Levesque
546 pages of government conspiracy between the CIA and KGB... Very interesting. Loved it!
Boris Feldman
A superb spy novel. In the class of LeCarre and his ilk.
Jsbiddle
Great book. Exactly what you would expect from Mr. Finder.
Lynn
This was a book that is not my typical choice, I picked this because I will be going to a conference in November where Joseph Finder will be speaking and wanted an example of his work. “The Moscow Club”at over five hundred pages, is pretty hefty and yet so action packed you don’t really notice it … until you try to pick it up.

Charles Stone works in a branch of national intelligence and is a guru of Soviet Studies; he has high placed mentors throughout the government so that even though his fathe
Patrick Donovan
I picked this book up because I'd seen it on a list of "The 10 Best Spy Novels."
Well, it isn't.
It's a decent page-turner, but formulaic and with cardboard characters.
It can't compare with LeCarre or Furst or Steinhauer, to name a few off the top of my head.
Take it out of the library if you need something for the beach, but don't spend your money on it.
Mary
I liked this book to the point I was compelled to keep reading through the thriller parts. A very convoluted plot and plots within the plots, scanning days of Lenin until times of the 80's and 90's and revolution. I always like his books and how he writes. Makes me want to check out the waxen left behinds.... The plight of good men and bad men and the innocents.
Kevin
Wow - I have to give this 5 stars. Even though it was a little long I appreciated the history that was told. The plot was good with great character builds. These stories always make you wonder what really happens in secret sometimes.
Wayne
Moscow Club was Finder's 1st novel and set the standard for all his novels that followed. It is also his longest book. It is a nail-biter from the beginning right up to the end.
dennis barron
The Moscow club

Twists and unbelievable turns to the very last pages! This is an excellent book, which I believe was j finders first. Full of intrigue and espionage...cia,kGB...you won't be able to put it down!!
Sheila
I must say, for me only, this was about the most complex book I've ever read. It was a first attempt by this author. Future books are much less confusing and more compact. However, I found it a good story that was well written and made it to a nice ending (I think). It was that convoluted, if you know what I mean. Actually I found I could have been reading a bit of actual history, but not a drab history book. That's much more fun anyway. I'll continue reading his books, as I've read a few of the ...more
Katherine Derbyshire
Couldn't finish it. The protagonist, supposedly a brilliant intelligence analyst, is too stupid to live, doing things like leaving classified materials lying around his home for other people to find. The antagonists aren't much better.

Proposes the existence of massive, all-powerful, long-term conspiracies within *both* the US and Soviet intelligence communities. While that sort of thing is a staple of the genre, these are more than usually implausible, with not even a feeble attempt to explain
Evelyn
enjoyed the quasi history and story
Ruth
1991 spy novel us vs russia
Gregg Veach
Wow. Awesome story. Nice twist at the end. Usually, I'm good a guessing what's going to happen next; but in this story, I had no idea.
Mike Vaughnwilliams
A very good story hearkening back to the cold war just before the breakup of the soviet union. Stone is pursuing answers to his father's downfall. Lots of action and people dying off as he travels incognito and hunted by an secret network of spies and power brokers. Written in `1991, it is still quite interesting for those of us who lived through the era.
Larry Page
I really liked this first book by Joseph Finder. It had more twists and turns than a mountain road and held the suspense right up to the end, however you must buy into the unbelievable luck of the protagonist as he escapes from harms way time after time. Still it holds your attention and is difficult to put down for a reading break.
Naomi
Charlie Stone is an employee of the US government. His father Alfred also worked for the government. Alfred has secrets concerning the highest levels of the USA and also the Soviet Union. There follows a trite plot that keeps killing almost everyone that shows up. Joseph Finder has written much better stories.
Maggie
Well research and the history is interesting. Finder packed far too much in his first novel so it becomes confusing and often unbelievable.
Kevin
His later books got better, which is good for him and for us. This one was too long; he could have finished it 100 pages earlier.
Dianne
I didn't actually finish this. While I usually like Joseph Finder, the subject matter in this didn't keep my interest at all.
Mailmanr5
Good first novel. Found some errors though & sometimes the hero is unbelievable. Good dialogue.
Fred
I've found another favorite author. This is the second Joseph Finder book I've read. Very good.
MVV
Finished the abridged audio book. Lots and lots of dead bodies. Maybe too many.
Brenda

Very convoluted and complex story, and not a satisfying read.
  • The Venetian Judgment (Agent Micah Dalton, #3)
  • Crossfire
  • Final Witness
  • The Defection of A.J. Lewinter
  • Velocity (Karen Vail #3)
  • The Successor (Christian Gillette, #4)
  • Final Argument
  • Einstein's Clocks, Poincaré's Maps: Empires of Time
  • The Hill Road
  • Red To Black (Anna Resnikov, #1)
  • Only When I Larf
  • The Enraged (Jonathan Quinn, #7)
  • The Creator's Map
  • Betrayal
  • Rasputin's Revenge
  • The Good Journey: A Novel
  • Os Malaquias
  • A Game of Spies
Joseph Finder’s plan was to become a spy. Or maybe a professor of Russian history. Instead he became a bestselling thriller writer, and winner of the Strand Critics Award for Best Novel for BURIED SECRETS (2011), winner of the International Thriller Writers Award for Best Novel for KILLER INSTINCT (2006) and winner of the Barry and Gumshoe Awards for Best Thriller for COMPANY MAN (2005).

Born in C
More about Joseph Finder...
Vanished (Nick Heller, #1) Paranoia Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2) Company Man Power Play