Blank-133x176
No Respect

Rodney Dangerfield

No Respect

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  52 reviews
The beloved comedian who gets no respect offers a collection of new one-liners accompanied by photographs and cartoons to illustrate the many hilarious predicaments that he gets himself into. Original. $50,000 ad/promo. Tour.
Published June 1st 1995 by Harper Perennial (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about No Respect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Respect

Michael Clayton
Overall the writing of the book was average; Rodney tends to go off on stream of cosciousness tangents, and the book takes several diversions as a result. But Rodney's dark sense of humor is intact each time, so most of these are welcome. And for a figure with this much experience who is simply fun to listen talk about most anything, the weaknesses in structure are easily excused. Starting with his younger years to his first days in comedy, then to his days as an aluminum siding salesman and bac...more
Vincent
Reading Rodney Dangerfield's autobiography, It's Not Easy Bein' Me, was like listening to him do a long monologue on the Tonight Show couch. He starts off just like anyone else. He speaks casually, makes small talk. He seems sincere. He's not angling for a punchline and then -- Pow! Pow! Pow! He fires off a joke, then a zinger, then a pun, a play on words, his catch phrase, and then more jokes and one-liners.

I wrote a longer review of the book here: http://cranialgunk.com/blog/2013/01/1...
Clark Hallman
It’s Not Easy Being Me is not particularly well written, but it is a very interesting life story and (of course) it contains some very humorous passages. He really didn’t get much respect until he was in his late forties. Over 70 appearances on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and many on the Ed Sullivan Show really helped his career. He was very helpful in enhancing the careers of many young comedians who eventually became very famous.
Eric Powell
This guy was my hero. Here is some of my favorite one liners from he book

" I told my doctor I broke my arm in two places>He told me to keep out of those places."

" when I was a kid I never got no respect from my parents. They got divorced and had a custody battle over me and no one showed up."

My old man never liked me either he paid my allowance in travler checks.
John G.
The best comedic autobiography I've ever read. You get the sense that Rodney was an average Joe, a person more comfortable getting high with the limo drivers than hanging out with royalty and celebrities. He tapped into a universal human experience and was able to articulate it and express it on stage perhaps better than any other human. I loved the afterword by Roseanne Barr, very insightful into the character and life philosophy of Rodney and it gives me hope and encouragement to get back into...more
Juliet
I've been meaning to read this for years, I heard him talking to Terry Gross on Fresh Air about this book and his life in general. i think I had to pull my car over so I could stop laughing. I love that he didn't get successful until after 40. he must have been the funniest aluminum siding salaman ever. Here's a synopsys:

As Jack Roy, he began performing in his teens, struggled in clubs across the country but quit in 1949 to spend 12 years as an aluminum-siding salesman. At 40, he changed his nam...more
Mandy Sherman
This was sitting on a shelf and I started reading it out of boredom. I actually ended up really enjoying the memoir. The man was a horrible slut but my goodness he worked his ass off to become successful. I guess I began to understand why women loved him. He really had a lot of charisma, was hardworking, and funny.
Glenn Hansen
Sometimes you have to read bad books, too. Here is one. This might have been an interesting tale, and started out that way, but it quickly became sophomoric, like reading Frat Party Hits of the 70s. Actually, after reading this, I'm undecided on which I dislike more, this book or Dangerfield himself.
Michael Fischer
What can you say about Rodney Dangerfield!?! He is one of the greatest old school stand up comics to ever perform. I loved this book! It's all the Rodney you love in the club or on screen in ink no holds barred. Tons of great stories and one liners written by a legend.

Rodney's humor is the quickest, hardest one second laugh you'll ever experience! So sad we lost him several years ago, but the people he helped along the way are still ripping it up thanks to Rodney! If I was ever rich, I always w...more
Harvey
Very easy and enjoyable read. Interspersed with one liners that will make you laugh out loud.
Nicholas B
Jan 02, 2008 Nicholas B rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Rodney
I was a little disappointed by this book. I had heard about such a dark and unhappy side to Rodney and thought that there was not enough detail in general. It is more of a collection of anecdotes than a real story that lets you into his life. I would still recommend this book because it is not a difficult read and has some nice moments, but I hope that some day there is a better biography on one of the greatest comics of all time (other than Dane Cook).
Melly
Exactly how you think it's gonna be. A bunch of great entertaining stories and jokes from one of the most iconic stand-ups of our time. He wrote this book when he was in his 80's, so it covers a lot of ground and fills you in on everything he went through before he found his late showbiz success, but isn't as in-depth or insightful as you might want. If you just want a light interesting read, though, this is a good pick.
Christopher
wow...what can i say? i think this was written for about a first grade reading level. it might be time for me to tackle a more difficult biography. I love rodney dangerfield, but i read this entire book on the toilet and it really offered me no insight. one star for how much weed he smoked and not being scared to light up anywhere, and another star for all the one liners. (the book is basically one-liner after one liner)
manwithoutqualities
Several comments by others say how poorly written this book is. Three things to keep in mind:

1. RD was not a formally educated man - he pretty much had to fend for himself all his formative years.

2. The style is keeping in with RD's quick-fire delivery - it would be phony for him to have his thoughts cast in pompous language.

3. However chatty this book is, it's not trivial. RD was a bright and wise guy.
Rodney you are a kinda crazy mother. Lol. I feel honored to have read your book. Your jokes made me laugh. The things you said made me laugh. I looked at the cartoon, it got a chuckle, you dirty man. It's been a pleasure sir, hope things are good for ya out there. I'm impressed with the man you are stay classy ;)

Read this book!
Chip Carman
This was a really fun read. What a character and what an amazing career.
Tim Dunn
Great book, absolutely laugh out loud hilarious. It's hard to sometimes gather whether or not he's telling the truth 100% of the time, but that could probably go for most biographies out there. It's hardly the most intense read you'll ever come across, but it's great for an endless stream of chuckles.
Ed
If you're a Dangerfield fan, you're gonna love this book. Great glimpse into the life of a road comic, turned salesman, turned road comic, turned club owner, turned actor. On every other page there is a "pull quote" or bolded one-liner, that keeps you laughing too. Classic Rodney.
Russell
Very candid. Very funny.

My favorite anecdote is when he after he has sex with a prostitute, he visits a female doctor. He subsequently gets an erection during his examination and the doctor delivers her diagnosis.

Doctor: You're okay.

Rodney: You're not bad, yourself.
Barry
Funny book. The autobiographical material was a bit sparse and it hard for me to distinguish truth from joke at times. Regardless I definitely laughed out loud a few times. Rodney was a funny guy and I guess a huge p0t h3ad.
Shane
A fantastic book. Very entertaining, tons of great stories that spans all of Rodney's life. I became an even bigger fan of his after reading this memoir and it's full of great jokes that only Rodney could deliver.
E.J. Eisman
If you don't know about the man behind the comedy this is an excellent book. From his unwanted beginings to selling siding to the Johnny Carson show this book will make you laugh and cry.
Caroline
I tell ya, Rodney Dangerfield is funny. Every passage is 1/2-1 page long and in between EVERY passage is a JOKE. He had a crappy childhood and suffered from depression but he was a good dude.
Lizzie
SPOILER ALERT: one night i drank a pot of coffee and read both this book and Go Ask Alice cover to cover and was AMAZED to discover that both books end the exact same way
William Becque
I'm def a sucker for comedians books, this was one of two books that made me think "so this is how comedians get paid when the stand up money slows down.."
Isaac
Anyone no matter who they are and what they look like will get laid if they are in show business. You don't even need to be famous.
Funky
This is an OK book, but considering how funny Rodney Dangerfield is, this was a little light in the laugh out loud department.
Dangerfield tells all about his upbringing in the field of comedy. Lots of his famous "I get no respect" one and two liners.
Dennis
Would have been five stars if there were more about "Caddyshack" and "Easy Money" instead of a one or two page anecdote.
Dan Mahoney
It is a testament to the character he created, that I read this book in his voice rather than my own.
  • Rickles' Book: A Memoir
  • I'm Dying Up Here: Heartbreak and High Times in Stand-Up Comedy's Golden Era
  • Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder
  • Not Quite Adults: Why 20-Somethings Are Choosing a Slower Path to Adulthood, and Why It's Good for Everyone
  • Higgs - The Invention and Discovery of the ‘God Particle’
  • Icon
  • Consciousness: Confessions of a Romantic Reductionist
  • Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians
  • James Cameron's Titanic
  • Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer
Rodney Dangerfield, born Jacob Cohen, was an American comedian and actor, best known for the catchphrase "I don't get no respect" and his monologues on that theme.
More about Rodney Dangerfield...
It's Not Easy Bein' Me I Couldn't Stand My Wife's Cooking, So I Opened a Restaurant I Don't Get No Respect La Contessa Rover Dangerfield

“My doctor told me to watch my drinking. Now I drink in front of a mirror.” 101 likes
“Life's a short trip. You'll find out.” 14 likes