Start by marking “The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,682 ratings  ·  316 reviews
From acclaimed YA authors Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff comes The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories.

- A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.
- Bad guys, clever girls, and the various reasons why the guys have to stop breathing.
- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the
Published August 1st 2012 by Lerner Publishing Group

The Raven Boys by Maggie StiefvaterUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiDark Passage by M.L. WoolleyCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareCinder by Marissa Meyer
2012 Releases (2nd List)
25th out of 180 books — 130 voters
Beware the Little White Rabbit by Shannon DelanyMy True Love Gave to Me by Stephanie PerkinsGeektastic by Holly BlackZombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black21 Proms by David Levithan
Multi-Author YA Short Story Collections
9th out of 83 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Avevo acquistato questo libro senza avere grandi aspettative, pensando si trattasse di una semplice raccolta di racconti. Quanto mi sbagliavo.
Questo libro è un piccolo gioiello, un mondo unico e curioso fatto di storie bizzarre, poetiche, talvolta tristi, altre volte inquietanti, di disegni e note scribacchiate ai bordi delle pagine. Ho apprezzato molto tutte le storie con mia grande sorpresa, ma le mie preferite in assoluto sono:
The wind takes our cries, Philosopher's flight, The last day of
♡Ann  Matalines♡
“The rain washes too many secrets away. It isn't good where they collect.”

Maggie Stiefvater is one of the contributing writer! The short stories never disappoints me. I like the butterfly ones the best. Exceptional writing and unforgettable angst. The three writers are really close. I was entertained by their conversations and handwriting. The drawings too are mildly amusing. Great flash fiction ladies.
Wendy Darling
This is really interesting--short stories from the three authors who make up Merry Sisters of Fate, and mostly unedited. I'm going to use this review space to keep track of initial thoughts and star ratings for the stories, which I actually WILL edit into some sort of review at the end.

Introduction by Andrew Karre, of the fabulous Carolrhoda Lab imprint: fantastic. It answered the "why" question I had when I first realized there were handwritten notes and drawings all over the book.

All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

In May of 2008, three unknown writers formed a critique group and website ( for posting short stories and honing their craft. Fast forward to today, and these three writers are among the best and brightest YA authors writing today. Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff are what I consider to be the holy trinity of YA, and in this wonderfully imaginative anthology, it is abundantly clear why.

I kid you not, there isn’t a sin
Kels Fidler
Title: The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

Author(s): Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Anthology/Short Stories

Series: N/A

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff are three titans in the young adult literature industry. All are bestselling authors, two of which have series under their belts. They have also started a blog called 'The Merry S
Jessica B
This review was originally posted at my (now dead) book blog My current blog is

Let me start off this review by saying that there are little notes the authors made in the pages, but I was unable to read them on my e-reader, so I might have missed some stuff.

Stories I Liked
Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton
A Murder of Gods by Maggie Stiefvater
The Madness of Lancelot by Brenna Yovanoff
The Wind Takes Our Cries by Maggie Stiefvater
Auburn by Br
Jessica at Book Sake
After having reading works by each of the authors and visiting the Merry Sisters of Fate website, I was excited to see this book come out. Each short story features a little intro by the author of that story along with another one of the writers and their view on the story.

ARC reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

All of the stories have handwritten notes from the authors in the margins. Often they talk about what they liked and what worked and how they got to that point in their writing process (an
I'll admit it: I'm a Maggie Stiefvater fangirl.

So yes, I was drawn in to The Curiosities by the promise of Stiefvater story-genius, but as soon as I started reading, I found myself falling--and falling hard--for both Brenna Yovanoff and Tessa Gratton. All three women contribute beautiful stories and giggle-worthy notations, and when reviewing the entire collection, they all shine equally.

Certain stories seem polished while others feel more raw. And I do not mean raw in the "unedited" sense but r
Lauren Brittain

- A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.

- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the curiosities collected in this volume of short stories by three acclaimed practitioners of paranormal fiction.
5 stars I've steadily worked my way through this since I started it back in June, and I can definitely say it's one of my favorite collections of short stories. I'm always nervous about collections because I rarely enjoy them, but these stories were short and sweet with fantastic commentary from all 3 authors. I would definitely read this again, and I hope these lovely ladies continue writing short stories.
Rachel Lightwood
This book had a lot going against it since I am not a fan of anthologies. I am, however, a fan of Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series. I mean that should have it done and dusted, right? Maggie Stiefavter's writing is awe-inspiring. It makes me drool with jealously.

But The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories was abysmal. I read maybe ten of the fifty short stories here and didn't like a single one of them. The writing made me want to punch a wall - all three author's writing. Yes,

The Curiosities is a collection of short stories from three of the Young Adult genre's most infamous writers - Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff. Originally available online at this new volume hosts a number of their best yarns; tales of basement dwelling vampires, zombies, Arthurian knights, would-be serial killers, dragons, and much more. The charm of this collection lies in the handwritten notes, drawings, criticisms, and scrimmages between these three frien
Shelley Daugherty
I found this a really interesting book of short stories but it is more than a collection. This is a project stemmed from the three authors' blogs where they have shared ideas amongst each other and have given the reader an inside look of how they collaborate and review each others' work. Anyone who has ever wondered how writers come up with their ideas for books will love this fun and witty team of women. The stories included range from horror stemming from every day objects such as puddles, to ...more
This was the first collection of stories I have ever read. I’m not a fan of short stories. I mainly liked it because of the authors. Maggie Stiefvater’s stories are the best. I love how well she balanced horror and humor! Tessa Gratton’s writing was really great times but there were some stories I wish would continue. I guess Brenna Yovanoff is good, too but her characters really need therapy!!!

So here’s how I rated every story (Also added my fav moments):
The Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton – 4 st
The blurb didn't lie. This truly is a very curious book.

I wasn't actually expecting The Curiosities to be a book full of short stories, but the more I read, the more I liked it. For the first few pages, I had to keep flipping back to the intro to check whose handwriting was whose, but I eventually got the hang of it. (Tessa's was loopy cursive, Maggie was ALL CAPS, and Brenna's was this spindly print) The stories are always preceded by some commentary by the authors. They were sometimes funny, s
Kim Graff
More of my reviews can be found on YA Asylum.

I'm not sure how to review this one. I usually have a normal review system but it won't work on a short story collection. So this will just have to be a free for all.

I loved this collection of short stories. It completely inspired me. I checked it out from the library and then, before I was even to the end of it, I had to buy a copy for myself. It's that good. The reason I picked this book up was because of how much I liked Brenna Yovanoff's REPLACEME
The pedigree for this book is outstanding: as an exercise, these three women wrote a short story a week and posted it online on a blog titled The Merry Sisters of Fate. It's no news that I am a huge Maggie Stiefvater fan, and I followed the Sister's blog because of her. Brenna Yovanoff wrote a great book last year, The Replacement, that was sadly overlooked. I've not read any of Tessa Gratton's books.

Some stories were good, some were bad, some were mediocre. Some of these stories were familiar t
Curiosities is a collection of mostly paranormal short stories by three YA authors. The stories were originally published on a blog as a writing exercise. Stories include vampires, ghosts, legends, etc. The stories run from 4 to 8 pages, which doesn't seem as long as most short stories.

One thing I really like about this book is the comments and notes that the three authors have added to the beginning of stories and the margins. It is really helpful to see what each author has to say about her o
I was very excited when I found this one on Netgalley - I am a big Maggie Stiefvater fan. This collection of stories originally appeared on the Merry Sisters of Fate website where Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff post their short stories. I didn't know about the site before I read the book, but I'm thrilled to find it. I loved many of the stories- some of them were perfect little packages wrapped up neatly and I was completely satisfied as is. Sometimes, however, I was distraught w ...more
My new rules state that I cannot truly rate a book with five stars unless I love it just as much after a reread, but some of the stories in this book I read two or three times in a row with my jaw on the floor, so that has to count, right??

I hate short stories but I loved this book. Probably not surprising, as I dislike the rules and formulaic dribble of most short story collections, but these three authors are nothing if not rule-breakers. Wait. I mean they ARE rule-breakers. Ohhhh you know wh
Kat Heckenbach
I honestly believe there is no such thing as an anthology for which one can love every single story. This one came really damn close for me. Three awesome YA authors, all with complementary yet very different styles.

Things I loved:

So many dark stories.

It was not overly romance-focused.

The variation in styles and genres.

The notes from the authors throughout! It was so cool seeing their thought processes.

Anyone who loves YA fiction, and definitely anyone who writes it, needs this book. HIGHLY r
The Curiosities has everything from serial killers to Morgan le Fay. It includes a lot of fantasy, some post-apocalyptic, and a many involve fire. The main characters are often teen girls, but not always. Several of them are rather deadly. The girl from "Blue As God," the Bluebeard retelling is a good example. The director who takes Bluebeard's role is killed by his intended victim.

The characters and ideas were fascinating. Thomas was so calm about murdering the kelpie. And the idea of a world
I have loved my introduction to the merry fates! Though Tessa is the runaway favorite for my tastes, I have enjoyed the stories from all three authors. Their final star averages:
Maggie - 3 stars
Brenna - 2.8 stars
Tessa - 4 stars

The Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton * * * * *
An excellent start to the book, an excellent introduction to this author, and a story I want MUCH more of!! A girl befriends the vampire her father imprisoned in the basement.

A Murder of Gods by Maggie Stiefvater * * * *
Shades of P
Katelyn Collison
There were SO many stories in this book that I wanted to continue. Why must they be short stories and not actual books? Can I request that they become books? Who can I contact for that?

No, seriously. Who??
This collection of short stories from YA powerhouses Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff originated as an idea for these three authors to discuss their craft, learn from each other, and have a sounding-board for their writings. In 2008, Maggie Stiefvater asked Tessa and Brenna to join her on a blog titled "The Merry Sisters of Fate", where they would practice their craft together. This collection of short stories is the fruit of that labor, and it is a delight to read not only ...more
Sarah - Stuck in a Story
This is going to be a short and weird book review since it’s difficult to write. I was going to write down the titles of all the stories in the book and say what I liked about each (much like my review for Through the Woods) but I had to return the book to the library. Also that method wouldn’t do the book justice because it isn’t just a short story anthology, it’s a short story anthology that teaches readers about writing.
This was the first time I’ve read anything by Stiefvater, Gratton, and Yo
I glutted myself on short stories today! they were originally inspiration for cleaning purposes, but quickly just became me, reading.

the cool quirk of this book is that each of the three authors have handwritten all of these story notes all in the margins, and there are little illustrations about the stories or the authors throughout. which is great!

I've been slowly going through the merry sisters of fate website, haunting Maggie stories (because I've had a problem and they are tagged) but I'm m
Erin Laidley
The Curiosities is a collection of mostly unedited short stories, complete with notes from the author that discuss their inspiration for the story, some of the reasons why they chose certain ideas, and what they were hoping to accomplish with it. I loved getting a glimpse into Maggie, Tessa, and Brenna’s heads – not only to help me with my own writing, but to help me appreciate theirs even more.

One of my favourite aspects of anthologies is that they let you "sample" an author's writing. The Cur
This was an interesting read. I enjoyed the stories, though none really stuck out to me as excellent or poor for that matter, and I liked reading the commentary and all the doodling. However it's within the commentary that I was disappointed.

The concept of this book was to show the creative and editing processes to 'address questions such as 'what do you do when you get stuck?' etc.'. I was really eager to see comments such as "here I would have added this or changed this or taken this away", "
North Richland Hills Public Library
The premise and promise of the book drew me in, a collection of short stories, some crafted from a common prompt, featuring comments made by the authors to delight readers and show some of the background behind the writing. The stories were great, and the remarks were funny and relevant, but I wished these comments appeared more often then they did. I wanted conversations in the margins, for the authors to discuss techniques and thoughts behind the stories, for the pages to be marked all over. A ...more
YAB Gabbers: Short Story Sentence Seeds 1 3 Jun 02, 2013 06:17AM
Topeka & Shawnee ...: The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories 1 6 Feb 09, 2013 07:17AM
  • An Infinite Thread - A Merry Sisters of Fate Anthology (Vol. 1)
  • Monstrous Affections: An Anthology of Beastly Tales
  • The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural
  • Paper Valentine
  • Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
  • When the Villain Comes Home
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
More about Maggie Stiefvater...

The Curiosities (2 books)
  • The Anatomy of Curiosity (The Curiosities, #2)

“No, thanks. I'm busy being an island of sanity in a sea of utter madness.” 8 likes
“The rain washes too many secrets away. It isn't good where they collect.” 4 likes