Start by marking “The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories” as Want to Read:
The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,317 ratings  ·  265 reviews
From acclaimed YA authors Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff comes The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories.

- A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.
- Bad guys, clever girls, and the various reasons why the guys have to stop breathing.
- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the
Published August 1st 2012 by Lerner Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Curiosities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curiosities

The Raven Boys by Maggie StiefvaterUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiDark Passage by M.L. WoolleyCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareCinder by Marissa Meyer
2012 Releases (2nd List)
25th out of 181 books — 131 voters
The Immortal Rules by Julie KagawaThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Raven Boys by Maggie StiefvaterPartials by Dan Wells
BEA 2012
9th out of 95 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
This is really interesting--short stories from the three authors who make up Merry Sisters of Fate, and mostly unedited. I'm going to use this review space to keep track of initial thoughts and star ratings for the stories, which I actually WILL edit into some sort of review at the end.

Introduction by Andrew Karre, of the fabulous Carolrhoda Lab imprint: fantastic. It answered the "why" question I had when I first realized there were handwritten notes and drawings all over the book.

TESSA GRATTON
Giovanna
4.5

Avevo acquistato questo libro senza avere grandi aspettative, pensando si trattasse di una semplice raccolta di racconti. Quanto mi sbagliavo.
Questo libro è un piccolo gioiello, un mondo unico e curioso fatto di storie bizzarre, poetiche, talvolta tristi, altre volte inquietanti, di disegni e note scribacchiate ai bordi delle pagine. Ho apprezzato molto tutte le storie con mia grande sorpresa, ma le mie preferite in assoluto sono:
The wind takes our cries, Philosopher's flight, The last day of
Jessica B
This review was originally posted at my (now dead) book blog shutupimreading.blogspot.com. My current blog is thebillcosbysweater.wordpress.com

Let me start off this review by saying that there are little notes the authors made in the pages, but I was unable to read them on my e-reader, so I might have missed some stuff.

Stories I Liked
Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton
A Murder of Gods by Maggie Stiefvater
The Madness of Lancelot by Brenna Yovanoff
The Wind Takes Our Cries by Maggie Stiefvater
Auburn by Br
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

In May of 2008, three unknown writers formed a critique group and website (MerryFates.com) for posting short stories and honing their craft. Fast forward to today, and these three writers are among the best and brightest YA authors writing today. Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff are what I consider to be the holy trinity of YA, and in this wonderfully imaginative anthology, it is abundantly clear why.

I kid you not, there isn’t a sin
Jessica at Book Sake
After having reading works by each of the authors and visiting the Merry Sisters of Fate website, I was excited to see this book come out. Each short story features a little intro by the author of that story along with another one of the writers and their view on the story.

ARC reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

All of the stories have handwritten notes from the authors in the margins. Often they talk about what they liked and what worked and how they got to that point in their writing process (an
Cari
I'll admit it: I'm a Maggie Stiefvater fangirl.

So yes, I was drawn in to The Curiosities by the promise of Stiefvater story-genius, but as soon as I started reading, I found myself falling--and falling hard--for both Brenna Yovanoff and Tessa Gratton. All three women contribute beautiful stories and giggle-worthy notations, and when reviewing the entire collection, they all shine equally.

Certain stories seem polished while others feel more raw. And I do not mean raw in the "unedited" sense but r
Lauren Brittain
RATING: ★★★★

SUMMARY:

- A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.

- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the curiosities collected in this volume of short stories by three acclaimed practitioners of paranormal fict
Krys

The Curiosities is a collection of short stories from three of the Young Adult genre's most infamous writers - Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff. Originally available online at merryfates.com this new volume hosts a number of their best yarns; tales of basement dwelling vampires, zombies, Arthurian knights, would-be serial killers, dragons, and much more. The charm of this collection lies in the handwritten notes, drawings, criticisms, and scrimmages between these three frien
Shelley Daugherty
I found this a really interesting book of short stories but it is more than a collection. This is a project stemmed from the three authors' blogs where they have shared ideas amongst each other and have given the reader an inside look of how they collaborate and review each others' work. Anyone who has ever wondered how writers come up with their ideas for books will love this fun and witty team of women. The stories included range from horror stemming from every day objects such as puddles, to ...more
Nilufer
This was the first collection of stories I have ever read. I’m not a fan of short stories. I mainly liked it because of the authors. Maggie Stiefvater’s stories are the best. I love how well she balanced horror and humor! Tessa Gratton’s writing was really great times but there were some stories I wish would continue. I guess Brenna Yovanoff is good, too but her characters really need therapy!!!

So here’s how I rated every story (Also added my fav moments):
The Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton – 4 st
Stephanie
The blurb didn't lie. This truly is a very curious book.

I wasn't actually expecting The Curiosities to be a book full of short stories, but the more I read, the more I liked it. For the first few pages, I had to keep flipping back to the intro to check whose handwriting was whose, but I eventually got the hang of it. (Tessa's was loopy cursive, Maggie was ALL CAPS, and Brenna's was this spindly print) The stories are always preceded by some commentary by the authors. They were sometimes funny, s
Nancy/girlsinthestacks.com
The pedigree for this book is outstanding: as an exercise, these three women wrote a short story a week and posted it online on a blog titled The Merry Sisters of Fate. It's no news that I am a huge Maggie Stiefvater fan, and I followed the Sister's blog because of her. Brenna Yovanoff wrote a great book last year, The Replacement, that was sadly overlooked. I've not read any of Tessa Gratton's books.

Some stories were good, some were bad, some were mediocre. Some of these stories were familiar t
Lnlisa
Curiosities is a collection of mostly paranormal short stories by three YA authors. The stories were originally published on a blog as a writing exercise. Stories include vampires, ghosts, legends, etc. The stories run from 4 to 8 pages, which doesn't seem as long as most short stories.

One thing I really like about this book is the comments and notes that the three authors have added to the beginning of stories and the margins. It is really helpful to see what each author has to say about her o
Karen
I was very excited when I found this one on Netgalley - I am a big Maggie Stiefvater fan. This collection of stories originally appeared on the Merry Sisters of Fate website where Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff post their short stories. I didn't know about the site before I read the book, but I'm thrilled to find it. I loved many of the stories- some of them were perfect little packages wrapped up neatly and I was completely satisfied as is. Sometimes, however, I was distraught w ...more
Kat Heckenbach
I honestly believe there is no such thing as an anthology for which one can love every single story. This one came really damn close for me. Three awesome YA authors, all with complementary yet very different styles.

Things I loved:

So many dark stories.

It was not overly romance-focused.

The variation in styles and genres.

The notes from the authors throughout! It was so cool seeing their thought processes.

Anyone who loves YA fiction, and definitely anyone who writes it, needs this book. HIGHLY r
Kit
I have loved my introduction to the merry fates! Though Tessa is the runaway favorite for my tastes, I have enjoyed the stories from all three authors. Their final star averages:
Maggie - 3 stars
Brenna - 2.8 stars
Tessa - 4 stars

The Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton * * * * *
An excellent start to the book, an excellent introduction to this author, and a story I want MUCH more of!! A girl befriends the vampire her father imprisoned in the basement.

A Murder of Gods by Maggie Stiefvater * * * *
Shades of P
Samantha
This collection of short stories from YA powerhouses Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff originated as an idea for these three authors to discuss their craft, learn from each other, and have a sounding-board for their writings. In 2008, Maggie Stiefvater asked Tessa and Brenna to join her on a blog titled "The Merry Sisters of Fate", where they would practice their craft together. This collection of short stories is the fruit of that labor, and it is a delight to read not only ...more
Erin Laidley
The Curiosities is a collection of mostly unedited short stories, complete with notes from the author that discuss their inspiration for the story, some of the reasons why they chose certain ideas, and what they were hoping to accomplish with it. I loved getting a glimpse into Maggie, Tessa, and Brenna’s heads – not only to help me with my own writing, but to help me appreciate theirs even more.

One of my favourite aspects of anthologies is that they let you "sample" an author's writing. The Cur
Joolissa
This was an interesting read. I enjoyed the stories, though none really stuck out to me as excellent or poor for that matter, and I liked reading the commentary and all the doodling. However it's within the commentary that I was disappointed.

The concept of this book was to show the creative and editing processes to 'address questions such as 'what do you do when you get stuck?' etc.'. I was really eager to see comments such as "here I would have added this or changed this or taken this away", "
North Richland Hills Public Library
The premise and promise of the book drew me in, a collection of short stories, some crafted from a common prompt, featuring comments made by the authors to delight readers and show some of the background behind the writing. The stories were great, and the remarks were funny and relevant, but I wished these comments appeared more often then they did. I wanted conversations in the margins, for the authors to discuss techniques and thoughts behind the stories, for the pages to be marked all over. A ...more
emily
I don't usually do short stories, and if I do, it's not in a book of them, because reading just one doesn't feel right, but I don't like reading an entire book of them.

This book of short stories, however, shattered that trend. I read every single one, couldn't stop reading them, actually.
Stella
This is a collection of short stories (some not that short) written by Maggie Stiefvater, Brenna Yovanoff and Tessa Gratton. The book works very well in the sense of showing the authors creative processes and how they develop each argument. Also, they interact with each other's stories through handwritten comments on the bottom and sides of the pages. It is definitely a beautiful book, the art work is amazing. And that cover!
The story I liked best was "The Bone-Tender", by Brenna Yovanoff. It is
Kira Yeversky
I normally don't like short stories. I know it's an unfair generalization to make - there are plenty of good short stories in the world. I just don't like getting pulled in to care about characters only to have the whole thing end a few pages later. Despite my dislike, once in a while I'll make an exception and read some. This is one of those times.

This is more than a book of short stories...it's a glimpse into a larger story, the story of how three authors challenged themselves to each turn out
Kuzu
I was fascinated when I ran across this collection because I hadn't previously realized that Stiefvater and Yovanoff are friends, but I actually have somewhat similar feelings towards their books (I'm not familiar with Gratton's other work). It was very interesting to see stories by these authors side by side, some of them following from identical prompts.
It was also fascinating to see their comments on each others' and their own work. I think the idea behind the collection may have stuck with
Nicole Edwards
*Review also on AwesomeBookNuts.blogspot.com*

I don't think I could pinpoint exactly what I loved about this collection. But I loved it. I think I might be kind of a Brenna Yovanoff fangirl. Seriously. I love her. And her work. It's just... so... perfect. I picked up this collection of stories because of her and I'm so glad I did because I now have more authors to obsess over!

Ok, so, this collection of short stories exists because three unknown authors (Brenna Yovanoff, Maggie Stiefvater and Tess
Madeleine
All fiction readers/writers should read this book. It is a collection of short stories by arguably the best three writers in YA fiction. The stories only last about 5-13 pages so if one isn't right for the reader, there's another totally different genre around the corner. I found the author's actual hand writing on each other's work entertaining and interesting. Brenna Yovanoff's writing appeals the most to me but everything in there is worthwhile. The only stories I didn't like were the Arthur ...more
Miss Clark
Cheyenne Blue
Three successful YA writers have collected together their off-the-cuff short stories, written for their website, The Merry Sisters of Fate. The stories are dark and disturbing, written from prompts, and largely unedited. It's a wonderful showcase of three bright imaginations, and I greatly enjoyed the majority of these little tales. Sprinkled throughout the text are handwritten notes on the stories by all three writers. These are fun and quirky (although often hard to read on Kindle).

I've previ
Jessica
Rating based only on Maggie Stiefvater's stories.

I admittedly only picked up The Curiosities A Collection of Stories because I adore Maggie Stiefvater's work, and other than a handful of the others, I read only her stories. Also, my copy wasn't printed correctly and is missing ~50 pages, so there are at least a few stories missing.

Here's a list of the Maggie stories I read (favorites in bold):

- A Murder of Gods (the misadventures of children of gods together in a school.)

- A History of Love (a h
Lothfleur
J’ai adoré retrouver ces auteures que j’apprécie tant dans The Curiosities, l’idée de leur permettre d’ajouter leurs notes manuscrites dans les marges et autres dessins est géniale même si j’aurais parfois aimé en avoir plus mais il fallait bien trouver l’équilibre entre la lecture des nouvelles et des notes. Pour autant, il ne faut pas croire qu’on manque d’interventions des auteurs : après ces notes très mises en avant, on retrouve des commentaires avant chaque nouvelle, de son auteur et de l ...more
YAB Gabbers: Short Story Sentence Seeds 1 1 Jun 02, 2013 02:17PM
Topeka & Shaw...: The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories 1 5 Feb 09, 2013 03:17PM
  • An Infinite Thread - A Merry Sisters of Fate Anthology (Vol. 1)
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love
  • Grim
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Willful Impropriety: 13 Tales of Society, Scandal  and Romance
  • Demons: Encounters with the Devil and His Minions, Fallen Angels, and the Possessed
  • Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
More about Maggie Stiefvater...
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) The Scorpio Races The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)

“No, thanks. I'm busy being an island of sanity in a sea of utter madness.” 5 likes
“The rain washes too many secrets away. It isn't good where they collect.” 3 likes