Start by marking “The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)

The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  2,245 Ratings  ·  388 Reviews
From acclaimed YA authors Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff comes The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories.

- A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.
- Bad guys, clever girls, and the various reasons why the guys have to stop breathing.
- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the
Published August 1st 2012 by Lerner Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Curiosities, please sign up.

Zo Few of the stories I've read so far in this collection can really be categorized as 'horror'; they're more fantastical. At the same time, it's kind of…moreFew of the stories I've read so far in this collection can really be categorized as 'horror'; they're more fantastical. At the same time, it's kind of hard to describe them by just one genre... [btw a lot of these stories end on cliff-hangers](less)

Paige  Bookdragon

description

I don't know if the gif is relevant to the review, but I just have to post it because "Daisy me rollin..."

This book is one of those "not for me" thing. I read this book because I love reading short stories/anthologies. The blurb really hooked me because:

-A vampire locked in a cage in the basement, for good luck.

Now tell me if that did
♡Ann  Matalines♡
“The rain washes too many secrets away. It isn't good where they collect.”

Maggie Stiefvater is one of the contributing writer! The short stories never disappoints me. I like the butterfly ones the best. Exceptional writing and unforgettable angst. The three writers are really close. I was entertained by their conversations and handwriting. The drawings too are mildly amusing. Great flash fiction ladies.
Sana
Apr 30, 2012 Sana rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2016
I've never been much of a short stories person because I always end up wanting more and more importantly, have a hard time reading them back to back because it's hard to surface out of a story and dive into another immediately.

For some reason, I appreciate that there isn't any apparent word limit to the stories as the shortest story has 3 pages and the longest, more than 20 pages.

I liked all of the stories by Maggie Stiefvater the best (why aren't they all novels especially A Murder of Gods, A H
Giovanna
Sep 28, 2013 Giovanna rated it really liked it
4.5

Avevo acquistato questo libro senza avere grandi aspettative, pensando si trattasse di una semplice raccolta di racconti. Quanto mi sbagliavo.
Questo libro è un piccolo gioiello, un mondo unico e curioso fatto di storie bizzarre, poetiche, talvolta tristi, altre volte inquietanti, di disegni e note scribacchiate ai bordi delle pagine. Ho apprezzato molto tutte le storie con mia grande sorpresa, ma le mie preferite in assoluto sono:
The wind takes our cries, Philosopher's flight, The last day of
Wendy Darling
This is really interesting--short stories from the three authors who make up Merry Sisters of Fate, and mostly unedited. I'm going to use this review space to keep track of initial thoughts and star ratings for the stories, which I actually WILL edit into some sort of review at the end.

Introduction by Andrew Karre, of the fabulous Carolrhoda Lab imprint: fantastic. It answered the "why" question I had when I first realized there were handwritten notes and drawings all over the book.

TESSA GRATTON
Cari
I'll admit it: I'm a Maggie Stiefvater fangirl.

So yes, I was drawn in to The Curiosities by the promise of Stiefvater story-genius, but as soon as I started reading, I found myself falling--and falling hard--for both Brenna Yovanoff and Tessa Gratton. All three women contribute beautiful stories and giggle-worthy notations, and when reviewing the entire collection, they all shine equally.

Certain stories seem polished while others feel more raw. And I do not mean raw in the "unedited" sense but r
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

In May of 2008, three unknown writers formed a critique group and website (MerryFates.com) for posting short stories and honing their craft. Fast forward to today, and these three writers are among the best and brightest YA authors writing today. Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff are what I consider to be the holy trinity of YA, and in this wonderfully imaginative anthology, it is abundantly clear why.

I kid you not, there isn’t a sin
Dark Faerie Tales
Jul 01, 2016 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Entertaining and strange short stories for those who like their stories on the weird side.

The Review:

The Curiosities is a collection of short stories from Maggie Stiefvater, Brenna Yovanoff, and Tessa Gratton. If you are unfamiliar with these authors they have a website called Merry Fates that they each contribute a short story to every week. These stories are for those who like their stories on the strange or “curious” side of life.

What I l
Kels Fidler
Title: The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

Author(s): Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Anthology/Short Stories

Series: N/A

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

I borrowed this book from my local library and reviewed it.

Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff are three titans in the young adult literature industry. All are bestselling authors, two of which have series under their belts. They have also started a blog called 'The Merry S
Lauren Brittain
RATING: ★★★★

SUMMARY:

Jessica at Book Sake
Jun 24, 2012 Jessica at Book Sake rated it really liked it
After having reading works by each of the authors and visiting the Merry Sisters of Fate website, I was excited to see this book come out. Each short story features a little intro by the author of that story along with another one of the writers and their view on the story.

ARC reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

All of the stories have handwritten notes from the authors in the margins. Often they talk about what they liked and what worked and how they got to that point in their writing process (an
Jessica B
Apr 27, 2012 Jessica B rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted at my (now dead) book blog shutupimreading.blogspot.com. My current blog is thebillcosbysweater.wordpress.com

Let me start off this review by saying that there are little notes the authors made in the pages, but I was unable to read them on my e-reader, so I might have missed some stuff.

Stories I Liked
Auburn by Br
Sydney
Apr 11, 2015 Sydney rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
4 stars I've steadily worked my way through this since I started it back in June, and I can definitely say it's one of my favorite collections of short stories. I'm always nervous about collections because I rarely enjoy them, but these stories were short and sweet with fantastic commentary from all 3 authors. I would definitely read this again, and I hope these lovely ladies continue writing short stories.
Sarah Hadd
Dec 11, 2016 Sarah Hadd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, books-i-own
Okay the last story? The best one! What a great way to go out. Bring on the next anthology, ladies.
Nicole - Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die-
4.5

- A world where fires never go out (with references to vanilla ice cream).

These are but a few of the curiosities collected in this volume of short stories by three acclaimed practitioners of paranormal fiction.

But The Curi
Nilufer
This was the first collection of stories I have ever read. I’m not a fan of short stories. I mainly liked it because of the authors. Maggie Stiefvater’s stories are the best. I love how well she balanced horror and humor! Tessa Gratton’s writing was really great times but there were some stories I wish would continue. I guess Brenna Yovanoff is good, too but her characters really need therapy!!!

So here’s how I rated every story (Also added my fav moments):
The Vampire Box by Tessa Gratton – 4 st
Stephanie
Dec 02, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
The blurb didn't lie. This truly is a very curious book.

I wasn't actually expecting The Curiosities to be a book full of short stories, but the more I read, the more I liked it. For the first few pages, I had to keep flipping back to the intro to check whose handwriting was whose, but I eventually got the hang of it. (Tessa's was loopy cursive, Maggie was ALL CAPS, and Brenna's was this spindly print) The stories are always preceded by some commentary by the authors. They were sometimes funny, s
Emily (Falling for YA)
The Curiosities is a group of short stories from Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff, who are critique partners. These stories were originally posted on their website The Merry Sisters of Fate. I have to admit I never read the stories posted online. I can’t stand reading on my computer, it makes my eyes hurt and I always find myself getting distracted (the internets a big place). So I was very excited to read these stories in print form especially since Maggie is one of my favor ...more
Shelley Daugherty
Dec 15, 2012 Shelley Daugherty rated it really liked it
I found this a really interesting book of short stories but it is more than a collection. This is a project stemmed from the three authors' blogs where they have shared ideas amongst each other and have given the reader an inside look of how they collaborate and review each others' work. Anyone who has ever wondered how writers come up with their ideas for books will love this fun and witty team of women. The stories included range from horror stemming from every day objects such as puddles, to ...more
Kim Graff
More of my reviews can be found on YA Asylum.

I'm not sure how to review this one. I usually have a normal review system but it won't work on a short story collection. So this will just have to be a free for all.

I loved this collection of short stories. It completely inspired me. I checked it out from the library and then, before I was even to the end of it, I had to buy a copy for myself. It's that good. The reason I picked this book up was because of how much I liked Brenna Yovanoff's REPLACEME
Krys

The Curiosities is a collection of short stories from three of the Young Adult genre's most infamous writers - Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff. Originally available online at merryfates.com this new volume hosts a number of their best yarns; tales of basement dwelling vampires, zombies, Arthurian knights, would-be serial killers, dragons, and much more. The charm of this collection lies in the handwritten notes, drawings, criticisms, and scrimmages between these three frien
Sadako
Nov 21, 2016 Sadako rated it liked it
2,5 stars: I'm not the target audience for this book, as I'm pretty sure this one is for the authors' fans. I knew only one of them before and I discovered that I dislike one of the other two.
The stories seem too similar to me, too many young main characters (I know, YA, but as I said, I'm not the target audience), too many monsters, waaaay to many cliffhangers. I like monster stories, but there is only one in this book where I really understood what is scary about this particular monster. The r
Nancy/girlsinthestacks.com
The pedigree for this book is outstanding: as an exercise, these three women wrote a short story a week and posted it online on a blog titled The Merry Sisters of Fate. It's no news that I am a huge Maggie Stiefvater fan, and I followed the Sister's blog because of her. Brenna Yovanoff wrote a great book last year, The Replacement, that was sadly overlooked. I've not read any of Tessa Gratton's books.

Some stories were good, some were bad, some were mediocre. Some of these stories were familiar t
Lnlisa
Feb 22, 2013 Lnlisa rated it it was amazing
Curiosities is a collection of mostly paranormal short stories by three YA authors. The stories were originally published on a blog as a writing exercise. Stories include vampires, ghosts, legends, etc. The stories run from 4 to 8 pages, which doesn't seem as long as most short stories.

One thing I really like about this book is the comments and notes that the three authors have added to the beginning of stories and the margins. It is really helpful to see what each author has to say about her o
Rachel Lightwood
This book had a lot going against it since I am not a fan of anthologies. I am, however, a fan of Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series. I mean that should have it done and dusted, right? Maggie Stiefavter's writing is awe-inspiring. It makes me drool with jealously.

But The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories was abysmal. I read maybe ten of the fifty short stories here and didn't like a single one of them. The writing made me want to punch a wall - all three author's writing. Yes,
Karen
Apr 10, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
I was very excited when I found this one on Netgalley - I am a big Maggie Stiefvater fan. This collection of stories originally appeared on the Merry Sisters of Fate website where Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff post their short stories. I didn't know about the site before I read the book, but I'm thrilled to find it. I loved many of the stories- some of them were perfect little packages wrapped up neatly and I was completely satisfied as is. Sometimes, however, I was distraught w ...more
High Plains Library District
Jan 18, 2016 High Plains Library District rated it really liked it
Shelves: rosa, teen
This unique collection of short stories for teens is really quite excellent. All three authors outdo themselves with these dark stories often creating characters that are very real and very relatable. While the short stories themselves are exceptional, one other great aspect of this book is that is very informal and in draft form. The authors created a partnership developed to help them each grow as a writer. They exchange their stories, and comment on them often focusing on strengths of the ind ...more
Shannon
Feb 23, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing
My new rules state that I cannot truly rate a book with five stars unless I love it just as much after a reread, but some of the stories in this book I read two or three times in a row with my jaw on the floor, so that has to count, right??

I hate short stories but I loved this book. Probably not surprising, as I dislike the rules and formulaic dribble of most short story collections, but these three authors are nothing if not rule-breakers. Wait. I mean they ARE rule-breakers. Ohhhh you know wh
April
Jun 20, 2012 April rated it liked it
Straight up, short stories are awesome. They give you a little taste of the author’s writing so you can decide if that’s something you want more of. Usually short stories are SUPER focused because there isn’t much room for meandering, thus I personally get a lot of enjoyment from them. The Curiosities: A Collection Of Stories by Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff is an anthology of short stories originally posted on the Merry Sisters Of Fate collaborative blog.

Read the rest of
Kat Heckenbach
May 28, 2014 Kat Heckenbach rated it it was amazing
I honestly believe there is no such thing as an anthology for which one can love every single story. This one came really damn close for me. Three awesome YA authors, all with complementary yet very different styles.

Things I loved:

So many dark stories.

It was not overly romance-focused.

The variation in styles and genres.

The notes from the authors throughout! It was so cool seeing their thought processes.

Anyone who loves YA fiction, and definitely anyone who writes it, needs this book. HIGHLY r
YAB Gabbers: Short Story Sentence Seeds 1 3 Jun 02, 2013 06:17AM
Topeka & Shawnee ...: The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories 1 7 Feb 09, 2013 07:17AM
  • An Infinite Thread - A Merry Sisters of Fate Anthology (Vol. 1)
  • Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy
  • Monstrous Affections: An Anthology of Beastly Tales
  • After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia
  • Yellowcake
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
  • Fiendish
  • The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
  • Dark Duets
  • Diverse Energies
  • The Nascenza Conspiracy (The Cassaforte Chronicles, #3)
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been based around her inability to be gainfully employed. Talking to yourself, staring into space, and coming to work in your pajamas are frowned upon when you're a waitress, calligraphy instructor, or tech
More about Maggie Stiefvater...

The Curiosities (2 books)
  • The Anatomy of Curiosity (The Curiosities, #2)

“No, thanks. I'm busy being an island of sanity in a sea of utter madness.” 12 likes
“The rain washes too many secrets away. It isn't good where they collect.” 5 likes