Start by marking “If the Shoe Fits: Voices From Cinderella” as Want to Read:
If the Shoe Fits: Voices From Cinderella

If the Shoe Fits: Voices From Cinderella

If the Shoe Fits: Voices from Cinderella takes a fresh look at an old and favorite story. In thirty-three poems it brings to life not only the voices of well-loved characters, but also voices of characters not usually heard from -- including the glass slipper, without which the story would not have a happy ending. On the stage set by the story we hear each player tell the ...more
Published June 1st 2002 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about If the Shoe Fits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If the Shoe Fits

The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeCinder Edna by Ellen JacksonAdelita by Tomie dePaolaYeh-Shen by Ai-Ling Louie
Cinderella Stories
80th out of 83 books — 296 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineCinder by Marissa MeyerPrincess of Glass by Jessica Day GeorgeCinderellis and the Glass Hill by Gail Carson LevineBefore Midnight by Cameron Dokey
Cinderella Retellings
124th out of 155 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 25, 2016 Addison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
If the Shoe Fits is a collection of poems that take the reader through the journey of the age-old fairytale Cinderella. This collection of poems takes a new spin on the classic tale because it is told from many different view points. The narrators of the poem collection include her father, her step mother, the king, the step sisters, and many more. Through short poems from many different eye-witness accounts, the story of Cinderella is retold in a fantastically new way.
This story could be appli
CH13_Meghan Schultz
Feb 06, 2013 CH13_Meghan Schultz rated it really liked it
Before coming to better understand traditional literature, I had no idea the classic tale of Cinderella had variations...sounds so silly to say now that I've read over 6 different adaptations of the tale!
If the Shoe Fits: Voices form Cinderella by Laura Whipple is a fabulous ode to the fairytale Cinderella. Whipple uses the voices from Cinderella (the father, the step-mother, the step-sisters, the fairy god mother, the prince, etc) to create 33 poems that vibrantly retell Cinderella's story.
(NS) Brea M
Oct 26, 2009 (NS) Brea M rated it really liked it
Through a collection of poetry, Laura Whipple tells the story of Cinderella. With each of the thirty-three poems comes a new perspective of this traditional tale. The stepmother, stepsisters, Cinderella’s cat, the Prince, and even Cinderella’s dead father tell their thoughts and feelings as the events unfold. I especially liked the point-of-view of the prince’s mother at the end. She shares her initial doubts of her son’s new wife and ends up realizing that Cinderella is an answer to her prayers ...more
(NS) Panagiota Angelos
Oct 13, 2009 (NS) Panagiota Angelos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional-lit
By far my favorite version of the classic tale Cinderella is If the Shoe Fits: Voices from Cinderella. The author retells this version in rhymes in thirty-three poems. Each poem represents the perspective of a different character. It begins with a prelude from an elderly Cinderella reflecting back on her experiences. This is the only version I know that tells us the perspective of the glass slipper (Personification). “Abandoned in the prime of my life! Dropped! Separated from my mate!” The rich ...more
Aaron Wilder
Oct 18, 2016 Aaron Wilder rated it it was amazing
If the shoe fits is a classical tale from a traditional story. In this version of Cinderella, you get the chance to put together so many missing pieces from the traditional tale. This version of Cinderella has the same plot and setting but with a different twist. This version of Cinderella is an example of all the possibilities that you could create to add on to this traditional story. This story was refreshing because it makes so many other characters more vocal.
Gemma Duling
Feb 25, 2015 Gemma Duling rated it it was ok
Personal Reaction:
I liked this book because it provides perspectives from every character in Cinderella. I did not like it though because it was not very fun and engaging for children.

I would use this for children's enjoyment and make them think about Cinderella and all the characters. It will make them realize that all the characters may have an opinion even though not everyone has a say.
Caitlan Jett
Oct 06, 2014 Caitlan Jett rated it liked it
Shelves: red-315, poetry
Awards: N/A
Reading Level: 3.3
Interest Level: 3rd and up.

This is perfect for those students who love fairy tales but want to see them in different versions and forms. The poems are not hard to understand and this would be a wonderful poetry book to give to a student who is just starting to read poems.

Heidi Simons
Oct 30, 2015 Heidi Simons rated it really liked it
Clever poetry from the points of view of all the characters in the Cinderella story, from Ella herself to stepmom and sisters to the rat who drives her stagecoach to the ball to the ghost of her deceased father. New perspectives on a very old story. Can't wait to share this with my class!
Kayla Pollema
Feb 17, 2010 Kayla Pollema rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbgs1
"If the Shoe Fits" is a book of poetry that tells the story of Cinderella from each characters point of view.

The use of point of view makes the poetry book of a familiar story an interesting read. Every character has a voice in this book. This way the reader sees what each character was thinking during the story. Because the book is made up of many short poems from different point of views, the book is an easy read for most students. Even though it is an easy read it has gives students and teach
(NS) Becca
Oct 13, 2009 (NS) Becca rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional-lit
This is such a clever collection of poems that tell the story of Cinderella from different characters' points of view. The poems are adorable and range from being about the stepmother to the slipper. In particular I loved the poem Feet that was about all the different feet that had tried the slippers on. It is humorous and keeps my attention! I think this book would be great to teach children how to write from different points of view. I can imagine using it to jump-start a writing activity in g ...more
Sep 30, 2013 Handan rated it did not like it
Shelves: cinderella-panto
This was a book for which I had really high hopes, and I guess that's part of the reason why I'm rating it so poorly. I mean, poems from nearly every vantage point of the Cinderella tale? That's so much promising material!

And it fell sort of flat. I mean, yes, we do hear multiple voices, but it is to tell the same old story. I like that we get a little more of Cinderella's father and his regret, but there was just nothing new or fresh about this book. And that bugged me. But, like I said, maybe
Lisa Rathbun
Dec 14, 2014 Lisa Rathbun rated it liked it
This would be a good way to teach point of view. I found this diverting, but not particularly deep or touching. I thought the cat's voice was a little corny, especially that the cat sends thought-messages to the fairy godmother. This could be a cute middle-grade performance piece, with different characters speaking monologues (or dialogues as in the stepsisters' poems.)

To me, "The Seven Stage a Comeback" by Gregory Maguire found in "A Wolf at the Door" is much more amazing! That retelling of th
Apr 30, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it
Natalie has been requesting Cinderella books, so I found this one in the juvenile poetry section of the library. She wasn't interested in the long poems, but I really liked it. A new look at an old story, 33 poems tell the Cinderella story from different perspectives: the dead father, the stepmother, the prince, the rat, the fairy godmother, the glass slipper. My favorite line is from the point of view of the glass slipper being tried on several girls:
"Heavy, ugly, big feet
pushing down on my ve
Rachel Ayers
Aug 22, 2014 Rachel Ayers rated it liked it
Good introduction to novels in verse, especially for reluctant readers. Or fairy tale enthusiasts.
Oct 15, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it
This would be a good book to use with children at the upper elementary to middle school level. The book begins and ends with Cinderella as an old lady looking back at her life. The poems are written from different characters' points of view over time. The characters include, not only the expected, but the unexpected too. We hear from the glass slippers, individually, as well as the coachman rat. I would probably use this as a read aloud, especially with the upper elementary students.
Oct 08, 2010 Crista rated it really liked it
This is really the "Voices of Cinderella". We hear narrative counts by everyone from the Father's ghost to the lost shoe. I am a big fan of Cinderella and I love how the author brings out the feelings and concerns of all of those involved in the story, not just Cinderella.

This is a great book to use when beginning a poetry unit with students becasue they are familiar with the story. There is a great variety of poems contained within, everything from two voices to rhyme.
Nov 23, 2015 Ashlee rated it liked it
This is a good book of poetry of a Cinderella story, from the point of view of the different characters. This would be good to recommend to children that are just starting to get engaged into poems. Also a good fairy tale story that all girls love to imagine they are in. Would recommend it more for girls than guys, because guys wouldn't want to read about fairy tales all the times.
Abigail Ludwig
Oct 19, 2015 Abigail Ludwig rated it really liked it
Very cute
Jul 18, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
We enjoyed the different "voices" from characters in the classic Cinderella story. The artwork is magical, too.
Gretchen Wendell
Oct 14, 2013 Gretchen Wendell rated it really liked it
If the Shoe Fits by L. Whipple is a book of poetry that was fun to read. The characters retell the story of Cinderella through their own eyes and it really gives the reader a new perspective about the traditional tale of Cinderella. Grade level reader 3.7, lexile and DRA not available.
May 10, 2012 Alyssa rated it really liked it
The story of Cinderella is told through poetry with all the different characters telling their part. Very original and very enjoyable! I liked the glass slippers point of view :). It didn't like all the big smelly feet being pushed into it:)
Oct 01, 2008 TxLadyForever rated it it was amazing
Recommended to TxLadyForever by: Sheila
My Daughter told me ***Go, go. Put your shoes on and go!
(If you happen to accidentally pick up 2 of them, I’ll take one off your hands!***

Told me everything I needed to know about this book so ......
Adaire Kamen
Jul 28, 2009 Adaire Kamen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Very quick read, but also beautiful. Wonderful telling of Cinderella. I also got several monologues for theater from this book.
May 28, 2010 Ami rated it liked it
Okay. This book was not what I expected. It is a bunch of poems from the different characters. They were cute.
Jun 26, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jearos
JEAR3-Whi 33 poems with voices of all of the characters of CINDERELLA STORY- VERY UNIQUE- third grade reading level
Mar 27, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
As I was reading the poetry, I found myself wishing each poem was written into its own picture book.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Poems told from the point of view of objects, animals, and people in the fairy tale Cinderella. Clever!
May 21, 2010 M. rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love! The story of Cinderella told from multiple points of view in poetry form.
Apr 28, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it